Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

From what I could find from blu-ray.com research it looks like there are 2 UK copies that are region free and one Canadian copy. The UK copy that’s a close up of Naomi Watts face is the bad one. The other two are good. They don’t look like they’re available at the moment.

Thanks so much for the info. I’ll just have to keep an eye out I guess, or maybe even hit up eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Milestone already shipped my order and I only placed it last night. :aaa:

I really wish they released more since they’re a great label. A few months ago, they pledged a percentage of every sale to go to the ACLU.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

You’re Egbert Souse, you have VIP status.

I know I (and others) say it all the time, but the breadth of your knowledge of cinema (both the movies themselves as art, and their technical aspects) is seriously mind-blowing.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, I got the shipping confirmation less than 12 hours after placing the order. That's rad.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Has anyone else picked up the Gravity Falls boxset from Shout Factory? I still can't believe Disney handed it off like that.

Having only watched a few episodes of season 1 (think of a kid-friendly Twin Peaks and well-written), I've always waited for a complete set like this. I got in the mail a couple days ago and can't wait to dive into it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes it's fantastic. The commentaries are awesome and it looks phenomenal. Haven't done much else but watch it though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's almost every special feature, the only thing it doesn't seem to have is the pilot. Be sure to look for easter eggs in the menus. The easter egg for the "Double Dipper" episode is amazing. It's a second commentary for that episode by Jason Ritter, and that's all I'm saying.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Big Lebowski 4K coming later this year.

Shout via Shout Select are releasing The Blue Dahlia and Holy Motors in November.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

friendo55 posted:

Has anyone else picked up the Gravity Falls boxset from Shout Factory? I still can't believe Disney handed it off like that.

Having only watched a few episodes of season 1 (think of a kid-friendly Twin Peaks and well-written), I've always waited for a complete set like this. I got in the mail a couple days ago and can't wait to dive into it.

It's a top of the line package. You're in for a real treat.

Also, hot drat, hope that Big Lebowski is a new remaster. I don't own it because I've heard bad things about the Blu Ray.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cloks posted:

Also, hot drat, hope that Big Lebowski is a new remaster. I don't own it because I've heard bad things about the Blu Ray.

Same. The Bluray just uses the old HD master used for DVD transfers and it really shows.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

You’re Egbert Souse, you have VIP status.

I know I (and others) say it all the time, but the breadth of your knowledge of cinema (both the movies themselves as art, and their technical aspects) is seriously mind-blowing.

I wish.

Thanks. I really don't know that much, I just know where to find information. And it helps that film is pretty much my only hobby/obsession.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I just ordered it on amazon, I don’t have it on hand yet. :v:

Oops, sorry for jumping the gun then, ha. Post your thoughts when you do get it, please!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How is Indicator's quality? I'm very interested in both of these:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I only have two Indicator releases so far (The Lady from Shanghai and 5000 Fingers of Dr. T), but they're Criterion-quality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is everything they put out region free?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Is everything they put out region free?

Mostly, but it looks like their Fox and Universal titles are region locked.

They actually list it on product pages on their site:
http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/products

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Same. The Bluray just uses the old HD master used for DVD transfers and it really shows.

I had no complaints, but I had it back when I was still using a smallish 720p TV, so I probably just didn't know better.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I'm really excited about the upcoming blu-ray release of Oleanna. It's one of my favorite films/plays and I've previously only ever seen it non-anamorphic. It's apparently a UK Region Free release from Indicator. I haven't bought foreign blu-rays before and I'm in the US. Would Amazon.co.uk be the best place to buy it? Will the shipping be a lot? Are there better places for foreign blu-rays that I should be looking?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

codyclarke posted:

I'm really excited about the upcoming blu-ray release of Oleanna. It's one of my favorite films/plays and I've previously only ever seen it non-anamorphic. It's apparently a UK Region Free release from Indicator. I haven't bought foreign blu-rays before and I'm in the US. Would Amazon.co.uk be the best place to buy it? Will the shipping be a lot? Are there better places for foreign blu-rays that I should be looking?

Amazon UK is my first choice, but buying directly from Indicator, Arrow, MoC/Eureka, and BFI can be cheaper sometimes.

While Indicator doesn't have free shipping, my order arrived in less than a week.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lionsgate is releasing The Evil Dead on UHD in October.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Lionsgate is releasing The Evil Dead on UHD in October.

*Celtic Predator rushes to Best Buy to buy a UHD player.*

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any word on whether or not this Predator UHD that comes out tomorrow is actually good, or is it just another disaster like every other release in the past ten years?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Presuming it's the original, will that be the first 16mm film released in the format?
You'll be able to count the individual pieces of grain :)

e: Evil Dead that it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basebf555 posted:

Any word on whether or not this Predator UHD that comes out tomorrow is actually good, or is it just another disaster like every other release in the past ten years?

The UHD is a new transfer that has a ton of grain and no DNR according to a review I caught. Not spectacular but the best it’s ever looked. The included Blu-ray is the old lovely one, no new transfer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

*Celtic Predator rushes to Best Buy to buy a UHD player.*

Go one more movie in the series and I'll cave.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Go one more movie in the series and I'll cave.

Think Evil Dead 2 is rumor to come out around that time too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The current Evil Dead blu ray looks excellent, and is very grainy in it's own right. I wonder how 4k or HDR would really improve it but I'm curious to find out. I feel the same way about Halloween, which is getting a UHD in October. Only because the existing blu rays are so good, I'm not sure the benefits of UHD will be all that apparent.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Robert Harris reviewed it on HTF and gave all three films 5/5 on a/v.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Presuming it's the original, will that be the first 16mm film released in the format?
You'll be able to count the individual pieces of grain :)

e: Evil Dead that it

mother! was shot in anamorphic 16mm

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre got a German release from the 4K master.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been digging the 90's Outer Limits lately, so I decided to just buy the series on DVD in case Hulu removed it before I finished my series watch. It arrived today and oh god have I made a poor choice. Of the seven season sets, five use two of the absolute worst case designs I have ever seen.

This monstrosity is used in all but one of those sets. If you can't tell, each disc is supposed to slot down onto those plastic spring arms (half of which are already broken, naturally) and then clip behind little overhangs on each side. In every case that used this design, the middle disc had slipped out of the overhangs and caused the front disc to actually bow outwards. I have no idea if being bent outwards all through shipping actually hosed up those discs or not. Can't wait to find out!

The other case design has that old early-00's standard - thin plastic hinges and useless push tabs! Both hinges are already broken.

What the hell, Canada :argh:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also most of those season sets are the syndication edits, so they’re missing a few minutes each (plus all that 90s cable mild nudity).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

business hammocks posted:

Also most of those season sets are the syndication edits, so they’re missing a few minutes each (plus all that 90s cable mild nudity).

That’s what I was afraid of. Aren’t the US releases edited as well?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s what I was afraid of. Aren’t the US releases edited as well?

The US releases only go to the third season or something. I think that on both the first season is the full-length Showtime versions and the other two are the syndicated ones.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there answered to watch the unedited episodes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there answered to watch the unedited episodes

The versions on Hulu are all unedited, although they do have poorly placed cuts for commercials that often come in the middle of scene transitions.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Digital hoarder peeps: Movies Anywhere just added Microsoft/Xbox to their provider list, and if you sync a new provider you get X-Men Days Of Future Past.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been digging the 90's Outer Limits lately, so I decided to just buy the series on DVD in case Hulu removed it before I finished my series watch. It arrived today and oh god have I made a poor choice. Of the seven season sets, five use two of the absolute worst case designs I have ever seen.

This monstrosity is used in all but one of those sets. If you can't tell, each disc is supposed to slot down onto those plastic spring arms (half of which are already broken, naturally) and then clip behind little overhangs on each side. In every case that used this design, the middle disc had slipped out of the overhangs and caused the front disc to actually bow outwards. I have no idea if being bent outwards all through shipping actually hosed up those discs or not. Can't wait to find out!

The other case design has that old early-00's standard - thin plastic hinges and useless push tabs! Both hinges are already broken.

What the hell, Canada :argh:

Ugh, I remember that awful case design for Back to the Future Trilogy. Felt like I was going to break the disc getting it out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rirse posted:

Ugh, I remember that awful case design for Back to the Future Trilogy. Felt like I was going to break the disc getting it out.

That case is what got me to start ripping my discs to my hard drive. Just awful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The worst packaging I've experienced is the Twilight Zone complete series Blu-ray. The disc hubs use two small but very rigid clips to secure the disc. Removing the disc requires prying/flexing the disc way past my comfort level. Reinserting it requires pushing the clear center portion with so much force that I'm convinced I'm going to crack the disc every single time. Luckily I haven't cracked any yet, but there's no reason packaging should make me sweat this much.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My Deadwood Complete Series DVD set has this case where it's a book of cardboard sleeves, each containing a disc, and it's missing a disc. Best Buy wouldn't take the return because it was an open DVD and HBO wouldn't send me a disc. So I've got this Deadwood DVD set that just doesn't have three episodes. Cocksuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How in god's holy hell did I miss the news that Sátántangó is getting a 4K restoration, a Blu-ray release AND A THEATRICAL RUN next year?

I'm already prepping how to inform my wife that she needs to watch the kids for 7 hours because I'm going to see a movie.