Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

interviewing today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
thinkin bout interviewing

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I just had a technical phone screening that I was worried about but it went really well and I'm feeling really great. It wasn't a hard coding question but its always nerve wracking doing it on the spot like that.

That being said, codepad is pretty neat for things like this. It supports a bunch of languages and even had autocomplete suggestions for python (and a repl). Much better than using a whiteboard.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

thinkin bout interviewing

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I haven't gotten any calls back from jobs I've applied to yet so I went to a casting call for techie-looking people for a TV show

if I can't be a programmer at least I might play one one TV now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
at the FLIR hackathon, milling around outside the building before anyone was allowed in, the first words spoken to me were "are you a programmer"

so yeah you've got a good shot

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

uncurable mlady posted:

i did indeed take it. 30% raise. :yotj:

Nice. Time to buy a new car son.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

interviewed and soft offer pending potential bosses boss approval an hour later...

~30-40% more figgies...

fingers crossed

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

qhat posted:

Nice. Time to buy a new car son.

yeah prolly, maybe a new Subaru

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im realizing i miss doing technical work and i dont know if theres a clear path to doing more technical work in my current position lol rip

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

kind of hosed up that i always conclude that changing jobs will be easier than just having a conversation with my manager about the kind of work i want to be doing lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my managers never give me different work if I ask for it so maybe it's for the best

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i could probably pivot to being a systems engineer but that feels like an extremely pigeonholing move to literally just aerospace and defense

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Also telecom

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

i could probably pivot to being a systems engineer but that feels like an extremely pigeonholing move to literally just aerospace and defense

Janitor Prime posted:

Also telecom
yeah, the other systems folks i know write wifi mesh router FW, web-scale CDN stuff

think how many systems engineers places like fitbit, jawbone, sonos, etc. have

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

So I'm going to be managing multiple programmers in the coming month, up from managing 0 programmers. Is it reasonable to ask for a significant raise?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

yeah, the other systems folks i know write wifi mesh router FW, web-scale CDN stuff

think how many systems engineers places like fitbit, jawbone, sonos, etc. have

to be clear when i say systems engineer i mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_engineering

aka requirements, verification, FMEA, MIL-STD-###, DO-### style poo poo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

to be clear when i say systems engineer i mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_engineering

aka requirements, verification, FMEA, MIL-STD-###, DO-### style poo poo

uhhhh how do you think CE products supported by huge backend systems come into being without requirements, verification, FMEA....

like im sorry i insulted you with the low-grade trash im involved with, but this is absolutely a role that every CE company has if you can't stand those two industries

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cool i just assumed everybody was like the last clusterfuck i was at and was just winging it for everything

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

(where "systems engineer" was shorthand for "embedded systems engineer")

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

cool i just assumed everybody was like the last clusterfuck i was at and was just winging it for everything

they are but some people also create paperwork :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i interviewed for a systems engineer at fitbit, it was the FW folks and EE folks basically asking "are you gonna gently caress me over with lovely HW" and a lot of poking at block diagrams. the worst was power analysis, the bad cop was on a video link from san diego and gave zero feedback until the very end when he joked "lol you've obviously done power analysis before, but your #'s for BLTE chips are X years out of date and that's easy to learn"

honestly the further i stay from PLM systems the happier I am, so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my favorite part of power analysis is when you send it back to the EE group with "so your sleep current is off by 3 orders of magnitude"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my favorite part of power analysis is when the EEs come back with numbers that obviously violate the requirements and just say "well lets just change the requirements or waive them"

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

my favorite part of power analysis is when the EEs come back with numbers that obviously violate the requirements and just say "well lets just change the requirements or waive them"

Software folks do the same poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Janitor Prime posted:

Software folks do the same poo poo

indeed, but you can't push a board spin over the air

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

qhat posted:

So I'm going to be managing multiple programmers in the coming month, up from managing 0 programmers. Is it reasonable to ask for a significant raise?

uh yeah just imagine having to deal with multiple bad devs and all the drama and bs that comes w/ it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I just asked and they were like ya obv but I don't know what it will be yet

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
looking for jobs sucks

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

meatpotato posted:

looking for jobs sucks

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
sent in a resume to a place that seemed really cool back in like, late may or something, and figured i was a great fit, but i never heard back. suddenly they popped up yesterday though and were like "sorry, summer holidays and all that, are you still interested" and yea i guess i am! thought that boat had sailed ages ago.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TheFluff posted:

sent in a resume to a place that seemed really cool back in like, late may or something, and figured i was a great fit, but i never heard back. suddenly they popped up yesterday though and were like "sorry, summer holidays and all that, are you still interested" and yea i guess i am! thought that boat had sailed ages ago.

this seems like a good sign that people there actually take PTO

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

skype interview with microsoft trip report: interviewer was nice but clearly could be a poster in the working in corporate thread. He posed simple algorithm problems like compare ints and smalltalked about programming concepts.

Also asked if I actually lived in or wanted to relocate to the area the position was in, as they'd had some russian applicants who didn't want to move :psyduck:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

skype interview with microsoft trip report: interviewer was nice but clearly could be a poster in the working in corporate thread. He posed simple algorithm problems like compare ints and smalltalked about programming concepts.

Also asked if I actually lived in or wanted to relocate to the area the position was in, as they'd had some russian applicants who didn't want to move :psyduck:

Sounds like you did okay. Those questions are designed to catch out the peasants which make up 90% of applicants.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Raluek posted:

this seems like a good sign that people there actually take PTO
or they had hired a train wreck for the position back in May and are now cutting their losses.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
is it a thing that recruiters want a resume as a word doc? seems like a red flag

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
it's a thing, but not a good thing -- they probably want to change it by adding "keywords"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pie Colony posted:

it's a thing, but not a good thing -- they probably want to change it by adding "keywords"

Or, remove your contact details from the resume so the company can't screw the recruiter out of the commission. Either way, do not use third party recruiters who want a word doc. In fact, make that do not use third party recruiters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i had some unusually competent recruiters last year that told me everything i could want to hear but kept signing me up for dumb devops jobs at startups where i had to do ten jobs at once and the interviewers wouldn't even reveal which ten jobs would be mine