Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Now that it is August the team has wasted no time in resuming the dev diaries as promised:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-custom-gameplay-rules.1112994/

This week is all about custom rule sets that are being added to the game. I guess if you play a lot of multiplayer this should help streamline getting started and laying out the rules.

If you're just interested in the gameplay changes and additions coming in Man the Guns, well, tune in next week as there's nothing here.
I hope they improve the French and Italian Focus Trees to account for this. Italy doesnt have any alternative options when it comes to switching ideaologies, that I am aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I hope they improve the French and Italian Focus Trees to account for this. Italy doesnt have any alternative options when it comes to switching ideaologies, that I am aware of.

It could also be the choice between italy in the axos and Italy going all Nova roma

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, this is great:

Like they've casually dropped an on-the-fly alternate scenario generator in a footnote to a DD

That’s HUGE

Imagine Kaiser Germany, fascist France, communist South Africa, New Rome Italy, and regular Britain having a slapfight in Africa

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I disagree that this is an MP only thing, that ruleset is going to kick rear end for everybody. (But MP especially will benefit)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh man that's a great addition :allears: I'm ready for the wackiest timelines!

So, quick question; I know how to change an individual unit from one template to another, but is there a way to do it en masse? e.g. If I want to change every 'Light Armored' division into my new 'Mech+Medium Armor' division or something, rather than having to go through each one individually, can I do it all at once?

e; I know you can change a template directly but if I don't have the Army XP for that or want to keep the old one around for some reason

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh man that's a great addition :allears: I'm ready for the wackiest timelines!

So, quick question; I know how to change an individual unit from one template to another, but is there a way to do it en masse? e.g. If I want to change every 'Light Armored' division into my new 'Mech+Medium Armor' division or something, rather than having to go through each one individually, can I do it all at once?

e; I know you can change a template directly but if I don't have the Army XP for that or want to keep the old one around for some reason

Click on a field Marshall and double click on a unit of the type your trying to change. It'll select all of the type and you can change them en masse from there

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Agean90 posted:

Click on a field Marshall and double click on a unit of the type your trying to change. It'll select all of the type and you can change them en masse from there

Ahhh sweet thank you :) I hadn't spotted the little button that does that!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, this is great:

Like they've casually dropped an on-the-fly alternate scenario generator in a footnote to a DD

Yeah, that rocks. They're really going into the sandboxy alt-history angle and I love it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This will make the BOFA game mode paradox has hinted at even more exciting.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Making all countries with unique trees go down a certain focus tree could make things very interesting.

What if most majors join the Comintern? Axis?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Making all countries with unique trees go down a certain focus tree could make things very interesting.

You could have a very boring game.

It would interesting (and nice) if they do it so you can tell a country to go NOT Historical but whichever non-historical path they take is up to RNG.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Kind of curious how big of a pain in the rear end or how easy it would be to throw that into Kaiserreich, Red World, etc.
Because it would really own to control the huge rear end focus trees in Kaiserreich

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

The Narrator posted:

France only, final destination

Benelux, de_dust2 :colbert:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Now that it is August the team has wasted no time in resuming the dev diaries as promised:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-custom-gameplay-rules.1112994/

This week is all about custom rule sets that are being added to the game. I guess if you play a lot of multiplayer this should help streamline getting started and laying out the rules.

If you're just interested in the gameplay changes and additions coming in Man the Guns, well, tune in next week as there's nothing here.

this is extremely my poo poo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I mean, this is pretty much what this new system is designed to avoid. It's the opposite of interesting if most majors join one faction, it just makes it a foregone conclusion that that faction wins.

The strength of this new system is that you can set up interesting face-offs, like everyone versus Communist Germany and the USSR for example. You can't really do that in the game as it is, since there's no way to tell countries you're not playing what paths to take.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

TwoStepBoog posted:

Kind of curious how big of a pain in the rear end or how easy it would be to throw that into Kaiserreich, Red World, etc.
Because it would really own to control the huge rear end focus trees in Kaiserreich

Depends how many ai_plans they have already made. All this does is tell the game "yo if this option is active go to this plan". Making the AI plans is the actually hard part because it requires so much testing and fine tuning.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm super excited for this feature. I haven't played in a while but absolutely will once that feature is in.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Do the AI plans also weigh into event options for AI? Because with KR they'd have to edit all of those event files as well since a lot of the focus picks are dependant on outcomes of event options. And that would be a bitch and a half.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I wish the devs would add some sort of mechanic that lets you confer with your allies. Its fun to team up with another Major but super frustrating when they just up and declare on another faction, and at the same time it'd be nice to discuss who should focus their attack on what territory and also divy up who gets to occupy what. Nevermind how terrible the peace conference system is.

Also, and this would probably benefit multiplayer the most, some sort of treaty / trade system. Like for example I'll cede some territory that you have a claim on and in return you give me 10,000 rifles, that sort of thing.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2018

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

bees everywhere posted:

Do the AI plans also weigh into event options for AI? Because with KR they'd have to edit all of those event files as well since a lot of the focus picks are dependant on outcomes of event options. And that would be a bitch and a half.

You can either check with ai_plan is active in the ai_weight part of an event or you can tell the Ai to do X if it took option Y by making Y set a global/country flag and checking for it.

So yeah, it'll be a bitch and a half, maybe even two full bitches. There is a reason why the trees made by Paradox are more simplistic than those from Kaiserreich. There are only two of us and we are both on a deadline (and focus trees isn't all we do).

Basticle posted:

I wish the devs would add some sort of mechanic that lets you confer with your allies. Its fun to team up with another Major but super frustrating when they just up and declare on another faction, and at the same time it'd be nice to discuss who should focus their attack on what territory and also divy up who gets to occupy what. Nevermind how terrible the peace conference system is.

Also, and this would probably benefit multiplayer the most, some sort of treaty / trade system. Like for example I'll cede some territory that you have a claim on and in return you give me 10,000 rifles, that sort of thing.

We kinda wanna do that since TfV but making the AI handle that system is very difficult. We'd need a completely new AI system that actually works off of objectives like "I am Italy. I'd like to take the Suez canal. Germany, would you like me to take the Suez Canal? Would you help me do that?" instead of "I am Italy. I am at war with the British. They have a victory point in Egypt that I can probably grab. I should do that and send some troops there." Quite honestly, I can see us do something much more simple that works for MP and then try to do it properly in a HoI 5. It is a BIG challenge.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Expert AI lets you coordinate production and naval invasion targets, at least. Y'all at paradox should snap that guy up, his work and patch frequency is hecka impressive

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Isn't expert at broke now?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have a dumb question: if I'm fighting alongside an ally and I order my troops to a front where there's already fighting using the draw front line tool, will they help my ally automatically or do I need to also order them to advance? I've drawn a front line but my men don't seem to be going a lot of attacking.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Gort posted:

I mean, this is pretty much what this new system is designed to avoid. It's the opposite of interesting if most majors join one faction, it just makes it a foregone conclusion that that faction wins.

The strength of this new system is that you can set up interesting face-offs, like everyone versus Communist Germany and the USSR for example. You can't really do that in the game as it is, since there's no way to tell countries you're not playing what paths to take.

That’s what I was saying, playing a USA where everyone is against you, or a Germany could make the game significantly harder or more interesting.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Walton Simons posted:

I have a dumb question: if I'm fighting alongside an ally and I order my troops to a front where there's already fighting using the draw front line tool, will they help my ally automatically or do I need to also order them to advance? I've drawn a front line but my men don't seem to be going a lot of attacking.

If you send troops to the same province that contains friendlys they can assist each other. But in the case you are describing you would need to tell your men to attack or they'd just stand there digging in. To my knowledge there's no way to get your forces to follow another country's orders. If attacked then anyone present will help defend.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
That's really useful, thanks.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

A little late but those custom game rule sliders could be interesting to support "Strengthen $UNIT" so maybe cavalry ends up being amazing. That way nobody can just hop on in knowing that certain options are traps and there's a bit of uncertainty figuring out what tanks are decent at for instance. Sticking a number of special forces slider in there would be nice, too. Making the AI understand the implications is left as an exercise for the reader.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
elite bicycle divisions ringing their bells through war torn Europe

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I feel real bad for China in my current vanilla game. WWII's p poo poo for them in general but at this point 20+ nations have been fighting it there for nearly a decade and America nuked Guangzhou just to hit a major Japanese troop concentration. First city nuked in anger: One of China's because this war hadn't brutalized them enough already, somehow. Ethiopia's also coming out of this in even worse shape than usual, as we're now in late '44 and the Italian Colonial front's been fighting UK/Free France/Random Americans/etc down there pretty much the whole war too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

You need to order them to advance - after all, you might not necessarily want them to. Maybe the AI is performing an extremely ill-advised attack, and you want your troops to entrench on the line so it doesn't get pushed back after the allied troops fall apart.

In general, the battleplanner AI tends to be reluctant to try to guess what the player is thinking and will prefer to leave decision points to the player. Except, of course, when it comes to sending troops over the ocean - which people routinely complain about because it's usually suicide.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

In my current KR game the Italian Republic went National Populist (fascist) and declared on Austria-Hungary for some dumb reason and their entire faction (literally all of central Europe and the Balkans) has spent six years laying siege to Milan, somehow unable to capture it because they have only 1 narrow width front with a river seperating it. I loaded up my save as AH to look at the stats and a million men have died on that river.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Basticle posted:

In my current KR game the Italian Republic went National Populist (fascist) and declared on Austria-Hungary for some dumb reason and their entire faction (literally all of central Europe and the Balkans) has spent six years laying siege to Milan, somehow unable to capture it because they have only 1 narrow width front with a river seperating it. I loaded up my save as AH to look at the stats and a million men have died on that river.

A reverse Isonzo?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

chairface posted:

I feel real bad for China in my current vanilla game. WWII's p poo poo for them in general but at this point 20+ nations have been fighting it there for nearly a decade and America nuked Guangzhou just to hit a major Japanese troop concentration. First city nuked in anger: One of China's because this war hadn't brutalized them enough already, somehow. Ethiopia's also coming out of this in even worse shape than usual, as we're now in late '44 and the Italian Colonial front's been fighting UK/Free France/Random Americans/etc down there pretty much the whole war too.

I like when the AI finally gets nukes because christ they start dispensing them like candies

Basticle posted:

I loaded up my save as AH to look at the stats and a million men have died on that river.

It would be nice to have a post-war heat-map overlay to see where the most people ended up dying.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 3, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 3, 2018

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Hey Archangel, how hard would it be to add a modifier when it's possible to just ford the river on top of all the bodies?

edit: Also a tech for clothes that are better able to clog up the treads of tanks.

1337JiveTurkey fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 3, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I wonder, has Austrian High Command considered throwing more men at the problem in massive human wave attacks? :thunk:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My favorite part is Austria has 12% of the divisions in the faction but has done 99% of the fighting (and casualties) :thunk:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The NatPop path for Green Italy pretty much always ends up that way, because the NatPop tree has a required "declare war on motherfucking Austria-Hungary like a dumb moron with your ten fuckin' divisions" focus. And Kaiserreich Austria-Hungary is deeply incompetent so it just ends up being Karl and D'Annuzio trading hundreds of thousands of men trying to take Milan.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Is there a DLC/mod/whatever for the Rohm Putsch being real and dude getting to make his racist gay space communism? I feel like everyone in this era has the "yeah but 'racist' is in there and that's bad" as a drawback so sure let's do SA absorbing the Wehrmacht entirely and Rohm getting rid of these shitheads like Himmler and Dietrich leading his poor old friend Adi astray...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

chairface posted:

Is there a DLC/mod/whatever for the Rohm Putsch being real and dude getting to make his racist gay space communism? I feel like everyone in this era has the "yeah but 'racist' is in there and that's bad" as a drawback so sure let's do SA absorbing the Wehrmacht entirely and Rohm getting rid of these shitheads like Himmler and Dietrich leading his poor old friend Adi astray...

what?