Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if someone's gonna get canned, it'll probably be the base coaches and the infield coach. the fundamentals on defense have been bad all year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ihatepants posted:

Which member(s) of the coaching staff gets fired first?

No one

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I didn’t necessarily mean immediately. You don’t think anyone will be fired this offseason?

Carlos Mendoza has been terrible this year. All the infielders are terrible with their fundamentals, and the players had no idea what to do on multiple plays today.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

ihatepants posted:

I didn’t necessarily mean immediately. You don’t think anyone will be fired this offseason?

Carlos Mendoza has been terrible this year. All the infielders are terrible with their fundamentals, and the players had no idea what to do on multiple plays today.

Having two rookies (with Gleyber at a new position) and Bird with less than a full year's worth of MLB games is a challenge but yeah, it's been really bad. Even in the OF Hicks had a problem yesterday where he was faked out by Gardner fooling the runners.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone actually know why they're keeping Sheffield in the minors? He's killed it at both AA and AAA all season, it's not service time fuckery, is it? I know Cessa isn't starting in this series after last night but bringing him up for a spot start over Sheffield seems weird.

Bobby Cox fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 3, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bobby Cox posted:

Does anyone actually know why they're keeping Sheffield in the minors? He's killed it at both AA and AAA all season, it's not service time fuckery, is it? I know Cessa isn't starting in this series after last night but bringing him up for a spot start over Sheffield seems weird.

It's not service-time fuckery but 40-man considerations, namely that Cessa is on it and Sheffield isn't. Also Sheffield is very good and I like him a lot but he isn't entirely a finished product right now (although honestly he can do the finishing the bigs at this point.)

The org clearly believes in Cessa's ability and he did turn in two good starts prior to last night.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1025393967368683520

No pressure kid.

Note that Adams lines up with Saturday while Sheffield pitched yesterday afternoon.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 3, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I hope Adams doesn't get destroyed. Maybe he'll come up and solidify the rotation for the stretch run, but he's had a much worse 2018 than last year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

I hope Adams doesn't get destroyed. Maybe he'll come up and solidify the rotation for the stretch run, but he's had a much worse 2018 than last year.

His season started off terribly but he's strung several good starts together now, so here's to hoping it keeps up. It's a tall order to come pitch your debut in Fenway.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Bobby Cox posted:

His control and command is not MLB ready, imo. He also has trouble with coming up with that final pitch to get an out, which has led to a lot of really long at bats and high pitch counts/walks. I mean, he’s only getting like 5, maybe 6 innings per start in the minors with a pitch count limit of 100. That’s not gonna translate well into the majors.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Ah, I'll admit I didn't look too far past that sparkly ERA. Makes sense.

Man good luck Chance, I'm sure this wasn't the call-up he was expecting. Sucks his stuff faded but hopefully it's coming back.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
(extremely mcmagic voice)

the only thing that can save this season is a sacrifice of blood

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

That's what actually happened to Adam Warren

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

They have 2 months to get ready for the Wild Card game.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

mcmagic posted:

They have 2 months to get ready for the Wild Card game.

I agree with mcmagic

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The division race is probably over but in a one game playoff this team should dominate

Miss Judge and Gary lots

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

I hope they can figure out how to fix Severino. He has not been good. Velocity was down and his slider has had no bite. Only 5 swings and misses all game...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sevy’s next start is against Chicago, I wonder if they let him go out again or skip him to give him some extra rest/work out the mechanical kinks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rick Porcello throws 88 MPH and sucks. If you're getting one hit by that kind of pitcher you're so fouled up mentally that it's quite worrying.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Rick Porcello throws 88 MPH and sucks. If you're getting one hit by that kind of pitcher you're so fouled up mentally that it's quite worrying.

I know, if he was any good he'd have won a Cy Young award or something in the past few years.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I dipped in and out of watching the game so I dunno how indicative of the whole game it was, but the fourth inning where 3 guys in a row absolutely ripped the cover off the ball and all lined out to center for an easy 8 pitch inning let me know what kinda night it was gonna be

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lumpy posted:

I know, if he was any good he'd have won a Cy Young award or something in the past few years.

He's probably the worst pitcher to ever win that award. His stats just aren't good and have never been. The Yankees' approach and AB quality tonight was shameful.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Iodised QQ posted:

I dipped in and out of watching the game so I dunno how indicative of the whole game it was, but the fourth inning where 3 guys in a row absolutely ripped the cover off the ball and all lined out to center for an easy 8 pitch inning let me know what kinda night it was gonna be

Yeah, when all 3 had an exit velocity of 100mph+ and then Bradley took maybe 10 steps to catch them combined, I pretty much tuned out after that. Sometimes everything goes bad at once, including luck. Hopefully those are ones that balance out later in the season

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Chance Adams is about to get hosed up.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mikeraskol posted:

Chance Adams is about to get hosed up.

From all the champagne he’s going to drink after his first start perfect game? Is that what you mean? My guess is that is what you mean. Gotta be it.

:ohdear:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

These games are just really sad to watch tbh. It's like that feeling when you think you're kid is good at something and then he plays like a good club soccer team and gets worked.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What mediocre number 4 starter will they make look like Greg Maddox tomorrow?

Well they now have 2 months to get Judge back and to get Sanchez' head out of his rear end and get Sevvy right before the Wild Card game and if they win that game no one will care what happened this weekend.

The Yankees got worse by replacing Austin and Warren with Voit and Cole/Kontos. LOL @ Trying to beat boston with Voit and Shane Robinson in the lineup.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 6, 2018

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I'm relatively optimistic about 2018 still and optimistic about the long term. But between the Warren trade, and not adding replacements for Sanchez and Judge, I think the Yankees gave a clear signal that they're at least a 1.0 on the Mets scale in that they're desperate to reset their luxury tax penalty at all costs. It's clearly costing them.

Arrieta seems like smoke and mirrors, Darvish has been bad, etc..., but someone before the season would have helped.

CC has struggled lately, and I'm not a big fan of signing him again and waiting for the bottom to fall out. My preference for next year's rotation is to use Andujar as the centerpiece for something (maybe one of Cleveland's starters and move Ramirez to 2B), sign Machado, and let Sheffield/Montgomery/Gray/inning eating vet fight it out for the last two spots. Otherwise it's gamble on Kershaw or likely overpay Corbin. I don't think anyone thinks there's a chance in hell they'd want Keuchel.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

These games are just so depressing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Getting shut out by David Price for anyone who didn't already know that this team is in the middle of a MASSIVE mental breakdown of some kind. And Boone doesn't seem to know how to stop the bleeding.

LOL Luke Voit.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 6, 2018

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This team is much better than how they're playing right now. They seem to be lacking leadership. I don't really put that on Boone as much as Cashman. Most winning teams have a veteran or two that pushes focus onto the young guys in ways that coaches can't. The '90s Yankees lucked out in that they had that in Posada, who probably picked it up from Girardi. You'd think Gardner and CC would provide that, but who knows. They are clearly missing someone forcing intensity on the other players.

I have no clue if this is true but I think we're all grasping here.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Wait, the Yankees have Lance Lynn and Shane Robinson? Alright, sorry Joe Kelly but I hope the Red Sox crash and burn.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

But between the Warren trade, and not adding replacements for Sanchez and Judge, I think the Yankees gave a clear signal that they're at least a 1.0 on the Mets scale in that they're desperate to reset their luxury tax penalty at all costs. It's clearly costing them.

I’m absolutely shocked that Luke Voit being the big bat acquisition of the trade deadline and Shane Robinson being an adequate Judge replacement were underwhelming options for the team. I’m really hoping that they will decide to spend big this offseason, but I’m also scared that Hal really feels like the “success” of the team the past couple of seasons are reasons why he doesn’t need to go above the luxury tax threshold to put a better quality team on the field.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The tax avoidance this year makes sense from a business standpoint, especially with who's available next year. Tack that onto the young talent and it's a good long move. The real issue is the tax in the first place.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's not too late for them to add a bat if they were willing to take on some money. Looks like they will save some relative face tonight and not get completely embarrassed but the division is all but over.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 6, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The team is a lot better than this last month. They just need to get themselves right, its not about adding another bat. They need to get the big bat back that they are missing (Judge), get the other bat back and hitting that we were all expecting this year (Sanchez), and just figure out loving something with this starting pitching. loving depressing that we're moving Gray to the bullpen for Lance Lynn but its probably the right choice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why do yankee pitchers insist on walking whatever garbage hitter is hitting 9th in front of Betts like twice a game?

Never mind about saving the embarrassment. Full on sloppy horseshit.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 6, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

A JD Martinez walk off slam would be the perfect ending to this amazing series.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm melting down. What a terrible loving series.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Just...gently caress it. play for the wild card and lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lets walk poo poo hitters in front of both Betts and Martinez in the SAME INNING. Nice job done by all.

• Locked thread