Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I let my C302 drain its battery completely and now it won't accept a charge from the OEM charger.

It sits at 1% and then shuts down after getting through the boot screen. Plugged in while turned off doesn't do anything and it won't accept a charge over 1%.
Any charger I plug in says "Low power charger connected" and then it turns itself off.

What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there any particular reason to not buy one of the 2013 or 2015 Google Chromebook Pixels?

Curently using a Acer R11 and want a nicer screen and a bit more power, and the pixels always looked super appealing, just not at their MSRP. There's a a lot of manufacturer refurbished on ebay for $300-$350 and that's much more reasonable for my wallet.

Maybe one of the HP Chromebook 13s?

I wrote about all of those CBs in the 2nd post, including why not to get the 2013 Pixel. Read the first two posts, because I put a lot of effort into them, then I can answer any further questions that aren't already answered there.

MC Hawking posted:

I let my C302 drain its battery completely and now it won't accept a charge from the OEM charger.

It sits at 1% and then shuts down after getting through the boot screen. Plugged in while turned off doesn't do anything and it won't accept a charge over 1%.
Any charger I plug in says "Low power charger connected" and then it turns itself off.

What do I do?

Since you didn't mention how long you left it plugged in, the first thing I have to suggest is to try leaving it plugged in for awhile without attempting to turn it on until it's had time to charge. I've had multiple devices that, when fully drained, can't operate from mains power while simultaneously trying to charge a dead battery. Your next option is to try a hardware reset (hold "reload" and tap "power," then release both.) Failing that, contact Asus for an RMA. :(

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I left it plugged in overnight on the OEM giganto wall plug and it only had 1% in the morning.

This morning I got it booted to the log in screen, normally where it would shut down if I attempted to login. I swapped over to a different USB-C plug which recognized as a viable charger. I left it plugged in with the screen on till it charged to around 12% then switched back over to the OEM plug.

It's charging fine now. Glad to know the ASUS CSR I spoke with last night told me the wrong instructions for a hardware reset.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Atomizer posted:

I wrote about all of those CBs in the 2nd post, including why not to get the 2013 Pixel. Read the first two posts, because I put a lot of effort into them, then I can answer any further questions that aren't already answered there.

:tipshat: Didn't expect an actual good OP. Looks like I'll keep hunting for a decently priced HP 13 over the google books.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

I left it plugged in overnight on the OEM giganto wall plug and it only had 1% in the morning.

This morning I got it booted to the log in screen, normally where it would shut down if I attempted to login. I swapped over to a different USB-C plug which recognized as a viable charger. I left it plugged in with the screen on till it charged to around 12% then switched back over to the OEM plug.

It's charging fine now. Glad to know the ASUS CSR I spoke with last night told me the wrong instructions for a hardware reset.

The whole situation sounds a little wonky but I'm glad it at least appears to be working fine now. :shrug:

What instructions did you get for the hardware reset?

Casu Marzu posted:

:tipshat: Didn't expect an actual good OP. Looks like I'll keep hunting for a decently priced HP 13 over the google books.

If you can find a reasonably-priced 2015 Pixel (2nd-gen) by all means go for it, but I strongly recommend avoiding the first generation one, both for the performance/overheating described, and also now it's old enough to be officially unsupported (the "Auto Update" period, also in the OP.) The HP 13 is worth it, and Woot frequently has refurbs of the various configurations for prices in the $250-500 range (or roughly half MSRP;) here's the base Pentium model (with the QHD+ display though) for $250 for example.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

The whole situation sounds a little wonky but I'm glad it at least appears to be working fine now. :shrug:

What instructions did you get for the hardware reset?

If you can find a reasonably-priced 2015 Pixel (2nd-gen) by all means go for it, but I strongly recommend avoiding the first generation one, both for the performance/overheating described, and also now it's old enough to be officially unsupported (the "Auto Update" period, also in the OP.) The HP 13 is worth it, and Woot frequently has refurbs of the various configurations for prices in the $250-500 range (or roughly half MSRP;) here's the base Pentium model (with the QHD+ display though) for $250 for example.

Is that low end model still a good buy? I’d have at most 10 tabs open at once. Mostly as a coffee shop writing Spotify machine. I was planning on getting the Acer 13 (non spin) but at $650 I’m not into it :(. If only they had been $500 like they had originally said they would be priced. Will the pentium hold up with chrome for another few years you think?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Is that low end model still a good buy? I’d have at most 10 tabs open at once. Mostly as a coffee shop writing Spotify machine. I was planning on getting the Acer 13 (non spin) but at $650 I’m not into it :(. If only they had been $500 like they had originally said they would be priced. Will the pentium hold up with chrome for another few years you think?

Check the 2nd post in the thread, I did a writeup about all the main HP 13 variants (note there's a base model with only a FHD display but I've never actually seen it for sale.) Keep in mind that was written with the Pentium model $80 higher in price, so I'd say go for it for $250. Nothing new at $250 is anywhere near as nice as the HP 13, and it's fine for your stated uses. The OS doesn't get more bloated with time, and they actually add features (such as the Android app support that this model now has. You'll like the display and keyboard, and even the touchpad is nice. The speakers are decent for a laptop, although you'd most likely want to use headphones for music.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Check the 2nd post in the thread, I did a writeup about all the main HP 13 variants (note there's a base model with only a FHD display but I've never actually seen it for sale.) Keep in mind that was written with the Pentium model $80 higher in price, so I'd say go for it for $250. Nothing new at $250 is anywhere near as nice as the HP 13, and it's fine for your stated uses. The OS doesn't get more bloated with time, and they actually add features (such as the Android app support that this model now has. You'll like the display and keyboard, and even the touchpad is nice. The speakers are decent for a laptop, although you'd most likely want to use headphones for music.

Okay perfect thanks I think i will!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Edit: nvm at this point I should just hold on to my R11 and look into a windows machine for something higher end.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 7, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Acer CB 14 is $220 at Walmart. It's the gold-colored version (meh) but it's otherwise the "good" one with the FHD display, N3160, and 4 GB of RAM. It's a solid entry-level laptop that feels like it costs way more than it actually does.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Atomizer posted:

The Acer CB 14 is $220 at Walmart. It's the gold-colored version (meh) but it's otherwise the "good" one with the FHD display, N3160, and 4 GB of RAM. It's a solid entry-level laptop that feels like it costs way more than it actually does.

Worth picking one up for £230/$290ish? Paid the same for my Toshiba 4 years ago, looking to upgrade but can't quite afford a C302 yet - should I hold out?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Based on typical laptop prices here in the US, the Acer 14 is worth it in the typical US$200-300 range (commonly used/refurb'd.) In other words, compared to what that amount of money would get you otherwise, the Acer 14 is definitely worth it, but in other countries this may be different.

The 14" FHD display in the Acer isn't quite as good as the 13" FHD display in the Toshiba CB2, but it's close and is better than alternatives in similarly-priced entry-level laptops. Furthermore, the Acer's N3160 is noticeably better than the 2014 Toshiba's N2840. It'd be a decent performance upgrade (while being much nicer physically) and you could probably resell it eventually for most of what you paid, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I threw my R11 onto the Canary channel because Linux apps got enabled on it. Installed GIMP as a test and it works fine. Retroarch didn't respond to any keyboard or mouse inputs, and Steam install failed because no CPU speed is listed in the hardware profile it checks during installation. So absolutely nowhere near ready for prime time, but it's on its way!

Also I wish I had enabled Canary a long time ago, as I like getting new stuff and changes early, even if it's buggy (I've had the OS crash daily so far). Probably my favorite thing is that they've dramatically improved the scaling on non-native resolutions, meaning that running the built-in display at 1518x853 no longer makes my eyes bleed.

[Edit: Hah, I just got a kinda amusing bug--I got a notification stating that "Your device administrator has rolled back your machine, your data will be deleted and your device reset." Bemused (I'm not part of any administration profile, my computer is mine), I restarted my computer and... nothing. Same OS version, all my data is intact. Hooray for buggy pre-beta software!]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 19, 2018

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I've been noticing that my Pixelbook never really seems to power off. Or at least, something is still draining the battery. I'll be working with it plugged in, charged to 100%. I'll hit the Power button in the "hamburger" menu and the screen will go black before I shut it. It should be completely off, not in sleep mode.

I'll throw it in its case and after maybe five days or so take it back out again and it will be at like 5% charge.

Guess I'll powerwash it again.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

el_caballo posted:

I've been noticing that my Pixelbook never really seems to power off. Or at least, something is still draining the battery. I'll be working with it plugged in, charged to 100%. I'll hit the Power button in the "hamburger" menu and the screen will go black before I shut it. It should be completely off, not in sleep mode.

I'll throw it in its case and after maybe five days or so take it back out again and it will be at like 5% charge.

Guess I'll powerwash it again.

I had that problem when I first bought it, I posted on the Pixelbook help thread:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/pixelbook/AsI0_srGlNY/tjbLGb9-CAAJ

I ended up doing a powerwash and it went away.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I commented on this recently in the laptop thread. I noted that certain devices (phones, tablets, laptops, you name it) have that same issue whereas others of the same type do not. There wasn't a common thread between manufacturer, OS, type of device, etc. :shrug:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

BestBuy is selling the Pixelbook with $250 off

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
So the charger for my Samsung Chromebook plus up and died. I contacted Google, since I bought it from the Google store, but they said I would have to go through Samsung. When I talked to Samsung, they said I would have to send in my Chromebook and charger to them for inspection. After the inspection, wick could take up to 15 business days, they would then send back my Chromebook with a new charger. This sounds really sketchy to me. Has anyone else encountered this? Would I be better off just buying an Anker charger and cable for my Chromebook?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Uncle Lizard posted:

So the charger for my Samsung Chromebook plus up and died. I contacted Google, since I bought it from the Google store, but they said I would have to go through Samsung. When I talked to Samsung, they said I would have to send in my Chromebook and charger to them for inspection. After the inspection, wick could take up to 15 business days, they would then send back my Chromebook with a new charger. This sounds really sketchy to me. Has anyone else encountered this? Would I be better off just buying an Anker charger and cable for my Chromebook?

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2VZ2T/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on my xps13 and really like it :shrug:

People that have bought it from amazon comment that it works for the Chromebook Pro at least, so I'm sure you're in business too.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Statutory Ape posted:

I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2VZ2T/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on my xps13 and really like it :shrug:

People that have bought it from amazon comment that it works for the Chromebook Pro at least, so I'm sure you're in business too.

I went ahead and ordered this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y427WT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_sI5EBb54J6X42

I'm hesitant to send Samsung my Chromebook for inspection just to get a replacement charger. I'm worried they are going to "discover" something that needs to be fixed that I'll have to pay for, or else they won't send my computer back, similar to what LG was doing to some people sending their LG G4s in for warranty repair. It's probably just Samsung making it as difficult as possible so I buy a new charger myself instead of holding them accountable for a faulty product.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's obnoxious, but I'd try to pester customer support and see if you can just send in the charger. You shouldn't need to send in the CB as well (especially if you can troubleshoot it with a new charger, and the old charger with another device like a phone or whatever you have handy so you can narrow down the problem.)

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Atomizer posted:

That's obnoxious, but I'd try to pester customer support and see if you can just send in the charger. You shouldn't need to send in the CB as well (especially if you can troubleshoot it with a new charger, and the old charger with another device like a phone or whatever you have handy so you can narrow down the problem.)

I might try again tomorrow. The charger no longer lights up, and doesn't register on any device. It's dead. Not of the chargers I have in the house will charge my Chromebook full speed. It always says slow charging, even with my USB C to USB C charger that came with my pixel XL. That seems like enough to send out another charger to me.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Just FYI, USB Power Delivery works to provide up to 100 W of power by negotiating the current at up to 4 different voltages (5, 9, 15, 20,) and the various power supplies don't support all configurations. Typically a 15 or 27 W phone adapter will support 5 or 9 V, respectively, and an Ultrabook (or even the Samsung CBs) may run on a 45 W adapter at 15 V, but may require 20 V to avoid that "slow charging." I'm nearly 100% sure that Pixel phone adapter supports 5 and 9 V max, which is why you're seeing that message, however at least you've confirmed that the CB and that phone power supply are separately functional.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

asecondduck posted:

So I threw my R11 onto the Canary channel because Linux apps got enabled on it. Installed GIMP as a test and it works fine. Retroarch didn't respond to any keyboard or mouse inputs, and Steam install failed because no CPU speed is listed in the hardware profile it checks during installation. So absolutely nowhere near ready for prime time, but it's on its way!

Can you try installing Visual Studio Code on it and let me know if it works? Maybe try downloading a plugin too if it actually works.

Also maybe Hyper shell terminal app? Between those two I think I could make a chromebook my daily driver.

Atomizer posted:

Just FYI, USB Power Delivery works to provide up to 100 W of power by negotiating the current at up to 4 different voltages (5, 9, 15, 20,) and the various power supplies don't support all configurations. Typically a 15 or 27 W phone adapter will support 5 or 9 V, respectively, and an Ultrabook (or even the Samsung CBs) may run on a 45 W adapter at 15 V, but may require 20 V to avoid that "slow charging." I'm nearly 100% sure that Pixel phone adapter supports 5 and 9 V max, which is why you're seeing that message, however at least you've confirmed that the CB and that phone power supply are separately functional.

I've run my apple rMBP and xps 15 off a pixel charger before. It is not an ideal way to power your laptop (or more accurately, slowly discharge) but it does work. Both Nexus 5x and Pixel 1/OG chargers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hadlock posted:

Can you try installing Visual Studio Code on it and let me know if it works? Maybe try downloading a plugin too if it actually works.

VS Code is the best thing Microsoft has made in decades.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I never thought I'd be using a Microsoft product on a Mac working in tech, but here I am, my primary workflow involves a terminal of some sort (hyper or iterm), vscode, slack and some email client. Oh and whatever VPN client of the week the IT department wants us to use.

This guy has vscode running on a Chromebook, but last I tried it, it was very flaky and required developer mode.

https://code.headmelted.com

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hadlock posted:

Also maybe Hyper shell terminal app? Between those two I think I could make a chromebook my daily driver.
Sorry for the late response, I somehow missed that there were new posts in the thread.

I've got little-to-no experience with Visual Studio Code (it looks pretty neat though!) but I was able to install, launch it, and add the Python extension. Typing code in it was a little slow, though, possibly because hardware accelleration isn't enabled in Linux apps.

Hyper installs and launches but it's just a blank screen. I can click the top left and get the menu to pop up and open a new window, which DOES result in a working instance, but like VSC it's very slow to type and run.

So neither usable yet but I'm sure they will be once Linux apps aren't in super-pre-beta.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hmm bummer, ok thanks sir

Good to know about typing being slow. Character rendering on vs code is generally noted to be one of the fastest, so if what you're saying is true, then I should probably avoid for the time being.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Hadlock posted:

Hmm bummer, ok thanks sir

Good to know about typing being slow. Character rendering on vs code is generally noted to be one of the fastest, so if what you're saying is true, then I should probably avoid for the time being.
I use VSCode for my personal site and decided to give a Python test a try. It's not going to win any land-speed records, but on my HP Chromebook 13 running GalliumOS, it seems acceptable if you're not tremendously picky about UI speed.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Acer R13 is on sale until the end of today for $315. That's not the cheapest it's ever been, and you can find used/refurb's on eBay under that (also for the next several hours there there's a 15% off everything code of PREGAME15) but if you want a new laptop, this is one of my recommendations. This model's been out a year or two, but it's still nice to use and is as functional as every other ChromeOS device. The 13" display is larger than that of typical current-model CBs, so it's more ideal for media consumption or general use for those of us with mediocre eyesight. Also it's physically larger than you might expect of other 13" laptops (e.g. the Toshiba CB2) but isn't too bulky, and as I've described before it's more of a huge Asus Flip than an enlarged version of the Acer R11.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Hello to the Chromebook thread! I apologize if this is not thread specific enough.

I am a teacher at a small, generally poor school in southern Illinois. We recently got a grant and upgraded some of our chromebooks from this flimsy Samsung model:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch-Model/dp/B009LL9VDG

To this sturdier HP model:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromeboo...hromebook&psc=1

I am essentially the tech guy for our school (I have two of our older chromebooks that I need to replace the screens) and my principal asked me for suggestions for a decent priced charging cart for our chromebooks. We currently have this set up. We purchased this cart for $150 a year ago but now it is $389.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxor-Furnit...2Z8HGK99M9YK0W3

Does anyone know any good places to purchase decently priced carts or does anyone have a good option for a decently priced cart?

Thanks for any information.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Pixelbook i5 8GB 128GB is $749 at Amazon, I picked one up the other day and received it this morning. This thing is amazing. Highly recommend.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Hello to the Chromebook thread! I apologize if this is not thread specific enough.

I am a teacher at a small, generally poor school in southern Illinois. We recently got a grant and upgraded some of our chromebooks from this flimsy Samsung model:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-Wi-Fi-11-6-Inch-Model/dp/B009LL9VDG

To this sturdier HP model:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromeboo...hromebook&psc=1

I am essentially the tech guy for our school (I have two of our older chromebooks that I need to replace the screens) and my principal asked me for suggestions for a decent priced charging cart for our chromebooks. We currently have this set up. We purchased this cart for $150 a year ago but now it is $389.

https://www.amazon.com/Luxor-Furnit...2Z8HGK99M9YK0W3

Does anyone know any good places to purchase decently priced carts or does anyone have a good option for a decently priced cart?

Thanks for any information.

Oh hey, I remember you from Reddit.

Have you tried Newegg?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Nulldevice posted:

Pixelbook i5 8GB 128GB is $749 at Amazon, I picked one up the other day and received it this morning. This thing is amazing. Highly recommend.

Did the same not too long ago. The combination of the hardware being super nice (and of course, a shiny new toy) and the convenience of crostini running in parallel has lead to me actually making progress learning to write code in Ruby. Definitely not regretting the purchase.

VSCode runs pretty well in it. I know some folks had complaints about it's rendering speed for text, but the first time it did that pretty hard it offered to turn off a specific type of encoding and it's run like a champ since. It's still a little rough around the edges, I've managed to lock up the desktop once or twice in the last month or so, but that's what I get for running on Dev.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh hey, I remember you from Reddit.

Have you tried Newegg?

I have checked Newegg and theirs was more expensive.

I have never posted on reddit but it does make me feel better knowing that other people go through similar crap.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have never posted on reddit but it does make me feel better knowing that other people go through similar crap.

I assumed he saw someone posting from the same username. :tinfoil:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Atomizer posted:

I assumed he saw someone posting from the same username. :tinfoil:

It was actually the same story...weird.

..Though it also might be just on SA and I'm misremembering.

Either way! I checked online cause no one I know knows anything about charge carts but..

https://www.techedu.com/Charging-Carts-and-Sync-Stations/chromebook-charging-carts/

https://www.schoolsin.com/laptop_computer_storage.html (there's some decently priced ones here)

I hope these help!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was actually the same story...weird.

..Though it also might be just on SA and I'm misremembering.

Either way! I checked online cause no one I know knows anything about charge carts but..

https://www.techedu.com/Charging-Carts-and-Sync-Stations/chromebook-charging-carts/

https://www.schoolsin.com/laptop_computer_storage.html (there's some decently priced ones here)

I hope these help!

Thanks for the info. I will send it to my principal.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Thinkpad x131 Chromebook refurbs on sale at Tigerdirect for $119.99. 1007U CPU (Dual Core) and 4GB RAM, 16GB drive. Has the nub (clit) mouse too. Grade A refurbs so they are in great condition according to the seller. This is likely for another six hours. I keep forgetting to post this, my apologies. It looks like a great model for folks unsure about whether or not they want to try a Chromebook and not drop a large investment on one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5734347&Sku=[b]41464596

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why don't Chromebooks come with more ram?