Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

mojo1701a posted:

And speaking of renting a car, is there a good aggregator site I can use to get a decent deal?

I usually find rentalcars.com to be pretty reliable. Just stick with the majors (Avis/Budget, Europcar, Hertz/Thrifty, Sixt etc), since the smaller players are usually way more interested in screwing you over microscopic "damages" or having lovely conditions like mileage limits or forcing you to buy fuel from them at hilarious mark-ups. Play around a bit with it too, sometimes you can get better deals from the downtown office vs the airport etc.

Tangentially related: one cheapo company in Spain we hired from didn't even do condition reports on pickup, the onus was 100% on you to document all damage on the car. When you brought it back, they would see what they can find, and if you didn't have proof it was there when you picked it up, well congrats you're now paying 200 euros per scratch or whatever. And of course they keep internal-only records of what damage each car has, so they know exactly where to look when you bring it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

I usually find rentalcars.com to be pretty reliable. Just stick with the majors (Avis/Budget, Europcar, Hertz/Thrifty, Sixt etc), since the smaller players are usually way more interested in screwing you over microscopic "damages" or having lovely conditions like mileage limits or forcing you to buy fuel from them at hilarious mark-ups. Play around a bit with it too, sometimes you can get better deals from the downtown office vs the airport etc.

Tangentially related: one cheapo company in Spain we hired from didn't even do condition reports on pickup, the onus was 100% on you to document all damage on the car. When you brought it back, they would see what they can find, and if you didn't have proof it was there when you picked it up, well congrats you're now paying 200 euros per scratch or whatever. And of course they keep internal-only records of what damage each car has, so they know exactly where to look when you bring it back.

Had pretty much exactly this happen in Italy. Sixt didn't honor my reservation and I had to go with a local, more expensive company, and then they tried to ding me 150 bucks with no explanation.

Car return was at some off-airport parking lot with some dudes that don't even work for the company, nothing signed ofc.

Luckily AMEX didn't give us any grief when we refused the charge.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 2, 2018

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I loving love AMEX for that reason.

"This merchant sucks."

"Okay."

*reverses charges instantly*

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

webmeister posted:

Thanks, I was thinking about that, too. My plan is to arrive in Dublin the night before and just get a hotel near the airport to save aggravation of navigating the city beforehand. Then again, searching them just now gives me the same price as at the airport.

And of course choosing automatic more than doubles the price. Still, CDN$500 for a Yaris or Micro doesn't seem too bad.

Or maybe I'll make it a real adventure and get a Skoda.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Skoda is pretty great actually, they’re a part of Volkswagen so if you’ve ever driven a VW it’s basically the same thing. I’m actually driving a Skoda rental at the moment :v:

And yeah, an auto gearbox will make it much more expensive since manual cars are like 80% of Europe. You’ll likely get a nicer car though, they just never seem to have auto versions of the really tiny cheap cars.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mojo1701a posted:

I've finally booked my vacation, and I'll be arriving in Dublin on September 12, and leaving September 27. :words:

Honestly, that's probably five days too many in Dublin and not nearly enough anywhere else; Dublin is the least interesting part of Ireland and you'll probably be bored out of your skull after a few days once you've seen all the highlights. If you're dead set on that, though, I'd at least pick up the car a couple days early so you can go out and see some of the sights in the east; Newgrange, Trim, the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough, maybe do a day trip down to Kilkenny.

On the way from Dublin to Cork, definitely stop by and see the Rock of Cashel, and you can check out Cahir Castle as well.

You could drive out to Killarney National Park from Cork, but it would be a full day's excursion, so you'd have no time to look around Cork itself, really. There are some other spots you could check out a bit closer to Cork as well, like Cobh and Kinsale. Really you could do with another night or two in Cork, I'd say, and maybe a couple nights in Killarney as well if you do decide to take some days off Dublin.

You could visit Blarney Castle on the way out if you wanted. Honestly the castle itself isn't all that impressive; it's just a hollow shell inside, no restoration work or anything, and it'll be jam-packed with tourists queuing up to slobber on a rock. Looks nice enough from the outside, though, and the surrounding gardens and parklands are pretty. If you want to see a properly restored tower house, I'd suggest stopping by Bunratty on your way to Galway; the keep is lovely and the folk park is interesting as well if you have a bit of time to explore.

You could do with another couple nights in Galway as well; there's a lot more to see up that way than just the Cliffs. The rest of West Clare is lovely, as is Connemara and County Mayo. I've taken a couple trips up that way myself and it's beautiful country for sure.

For car rentals, you should be fine with any of the big names (or Dan Dooley is fine as well, even though you've probably never heard of 'em). I've done Europcar a time or two here before I moved here and bought my own ride; they were cheap enough and I had no issues with 'em. Do get an automatic if you aren't used to a manual; learning to drive stick and to drive on the wrong side of the road at the same time (on the tiny Irish roads to boot) is a recipe for disaster. Remember that the cars listed on the website aren't necessarily what you'll get, just representative of the class; they might well give you some other brand or model instead, so don't go getting your heart set on a Yaris or an Octavia or whatever. Whatever you end up with will be a decent enough fleet car, most likely, so you shouldn't have any issues. Since you're renting an auto, you might even get lucky and get the Yank special with plenty of pre-existing left side damage, which will save ya some money when you inevitably sideswipe a few hedgerows while getting used to sitting on the right... :v:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

webmeister posted:

Skoda is pretty great actually, they’re a part of Volkswagen so if you’ve ever driven a VW it’s basically the same thing. I’m actually driving a Skoda rental at the moment :v:

And yeah, an auto gearbox will make it much more expensive since manual cars are like 80% of Europe. You’ll likely get a nicer car though, they just never seem to have auto versions of the really tiny cheap cars.

Oh I was just joking, since we don't have them here. Didn't know they were owned by VW, though. From what I've read, I'm OK with an Ontario driver's licence (it not looking like a cheap laminated card helps matters) and Canadian passport to drive.

Is there anything wrong with my itinerary? It's still flexible with things to see outside of Dublin.

edit:

dennyk posted:

Honestly, that's probably five days too many in Dublin and not nearly enough anywhere else; Dublin is the least interesting part of Ireland and you'll probably be bored out of your skull after a few days once you've seen all the highlights. If you're dead set on that, though, I'd at least pick up the car a couple days early so you can go out and see some of the sights in the east; Newgrange, Trim, the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough, maybe do a day trip down to Kilkenny.

Yeah, I know that was said already. I just like to take a few days and do nothing in a different country.

dennyk posted:

On the way from Dublin to Cork, definitely stop by and see the Rock of Cashel, and you can check out Cahir Castle as well.

You could drive out to Killarney National Park from Cork, but it would be a full day's excursion, so you'd have no time to look around Cork itself, really. There are some other spots you could check out a bit closer to Cork as well, like Cobh and Kinsale. Really you could do with another night or two in Cork, I'd say, and maybe a couple nights in Killarney as well if you do decide to take some days off Dublin.

You could visit Blarney Castle on the way out if you wanted. Honestly the castle itself isn't all that impressive; it's just a hollow shell inside, no restoration work or anything, and it'll be jam-packed with tourists queuing up to slobber on a rock. Looks nice enough from the outside, though, and the surrounding gardens and parklands are pretty. If you want to see a properly restored tower house, I'd suggest stopping by Bunratty on your way to Galway; the keep is lovely and the folk park is interesting as well if you have a bit of time to explore.

You could do with another couple nights in Galway as well; there's a lot more to see up that way than just the Cliffs. The rest of West Clare is lovely, as is Connemara and County Mayo. I've taken a couple trips up that way myself and it's beautiful country for sure.

I'll be honest in that I'm not super-into landscapes, but I do enjoy unique views and features, so I'm always up for those, especially since I'm on my own.

Cashel was definitely one I was looking at, and is there anything particularly interesting in Derry compared to the other cities? I know Belfast has some interesting local history, but I'm not too well-versed about Derry.

dennyk posted:

For car rentals, you should be fine with any of the big names (or Dan Dooley is fine as well, even though you've probably never heard of 'em). I've done Europcar a time or two here before I moved here and bought my own ride; they were cheap enough and I had no issues with 'em. Do get an automatic if you aren't used to a manual; learning to drive stick and to drive on the wrong side of the road at the same time (on the tiny Irish roads to boot) is a recipe for disaster. Remember that the cars listed on the website aren't necessarily what you'll get, just representative of the class; they might well give you some other brand or model instead, so don't go getting your heart set on a Yaris or an Octavia or whatever. Whatever you end up with will be a decent enough fleet car, most likely, so you shouldn't have any issues. Since you're renting an auto, you might even get lucky and get the Yank special with plenty of pre-existing left side damage, which will save ya some money when you inevitably sideswipe a few hedgerows while getting used to sitting on the right... :v:

Oh, I have no specific preference for a car anyway, as long as it's easy enough to drive.

Just one last question: do you think they'll give me the "Yank special" if I'm not one?

:v:

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 3, 2018

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

webmeister posted:

Agreed on this one, I drove a Skoda Fabia hatchback for a while and it's a fine car.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
No name rentals can sometimes be way cheaper though, and for a longer rental in a larger class car even if they try to screw you it can be cheaper. Just always take a video at check-out and make sure the person acknowledges your video. I’m in Tunisia right now and rented a car and the agency, Unicar, is like €30 a day for a big Kia sedan, whereas Avis Sixt etc were like €70 a day for a tiny Fiat 500. I’ve had similar experiences in Jordan and Iceland; in Iceland it was like half price for a two week SUV from IceCar or whatever I used compared to major internationals, so like €1600 instead of €3000. Namibia also same deal although there I went with a major agency because I knew 100% i was going to damage the car (4000 km on gravel/rock roads good luck not chipping a windshield or whatever).

Sometimes they are cheaper because they give you way older dirtier cars—my experience in Jordan—but other times I have no idea why.

Also agree to not get a right hand drive manual if you’re not used to both of those two things. Also having spent a significant amount of time in right hand drive countries this year driving, I occasionally get uncertain of where to put my car on the road when there’s no traffic, god dammit. I even had to ask a passenger in my car a couple weeks ago, which I’m sure was not super comforting to her, lol.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

How easy is it to get around on Crete when you don't speak Greek and don't drive? I'm planning a short trip for the Fall and one of my options is Heraklion/Knossos.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Saladman posted:

Sometimes they are cheaper because they give you way older dirtier cars—my experience in Jordan—but other times I have no idea why.

Also agree to not get a right hand drive manual if you’re not used to both of those two things. Also having spent a significant amount of time in right hand drive countries this year driving, I occasionally get uncertain of where to put my car on the road when there’s no traffic, god dammit. I even had to ask a passenger in my car a couple weeks ago, which I’m sure was not super comforting to her, lol.

Smaller places are cheaper than the majors because they offer low rates, gambling that they'll be able to ding you with enough extras to cover the cost. Stuff like the "administration fee" if you get a speeding or parking fine will be much higher, they'll have cross-border fees and the like too. They'll spend ages urging you to upgrade the insurance for "peace of mind" which still won't cover the most common damage (scraping a rim or chipping a windscreen). I saw one place that requires you to buy a full tank of fuel from them (at a hugely inflated price), and they refund the charge if you bring it back full - minus the "refuelling fee" of course. So you just paid 20 euros to fill up the car yourself.

I had one fly-by-night place in Latvia recently who told me upfront that if the car was returned "dirty" it would be 50 euros washing fee. I clarified what exactly they considered dirty, which included stuff like bugs on the grill etc, so we ran it through a car wash (5 euros lol) just before returning it. But of course, the car was "dirty" because we hadn't vaccuumed the floor mats, and had about as much dirt on them as you'd expect from walking through a gravel car park just before returning (which was exactly what had happened, funnily enough). The guy eventually relented when he realised I didn't have a flight to catch and was happy to spend the next few hours arguing.

The thing that kills me about right or left hand driving is switching between them. As an Australian I've spent 20 years driving on the left. Going around Europe the last two years, I've driven constantly on the right with no problems at all - except for in Malta which is back on the left. Twice in a single loving I day I turned out of a parking lot onto the wrong side of a road - thankfully with nobody around!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Weirdly I've never had a problem switching once I got used to driving on the left (after learning in the US and then driving there for a couple decades). First did it on vacation years back, then again a few years later, and when I moved here to Ireland a few years back it didn't even feel weird, nor did it feel weird at all when I rented a car in Italy last year and drove there.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So next summer around mid July, I'm planning a weeklong trip to Iceland for my honeymoon. We picked it because my fiancee is a geology dork, and relaxing in a hot spring sounded pretty drat good to me. What the heck should I know and do while we are there? I fully expect us to spend our days hiking around glaciers and gorges and all that good stuff, but if we are staying in Reykjavik is there anything we should definitely check out? Also any nightlife suggestions would be appreciated, since neither of us are heavy drinkers but music, dancing, weird poo poo, etc is all right up our alley.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

dennyk posted:

Weirdly I've never had a problem switching once I got used to driving on the left (after learning in the US and then driving there for a couple decades). First did it on vacation years back, then again a few years later, and when I moved here to Ireland a few years back it didn't even feel weird, nor did it feel weird at all when I rented a car in Italy last year and drove there.

My hope is that being behind the steering wheel on the right side will reinforce being on the left side of the street.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Grillfiend posted:

How easy is it to get around on Crete when you don't speak Greek and don't drive? I'm planning a short trip for the Fall and one of my options is Heraklion/Knossos.

In my experience mainland Greeks don't gently caress with English much at all, I ended up linguistically stranded very quickly in Athens once after missing the bus stop to my hotel.
I imagine non-tourist sites on Crete are pretty rough.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

My hope is that being behind the steering wheel on the right side will reinforce being on the left side of the street.

This is how I do it; whenever I get sort of stuck I think "steering wheel in the middle of the road no matter where I am".

I've spent like 3 of the last 4 years where I've gone to NZ in the winter, and I find you get used to the switch pretty easily. Either there's no one around, in which case there are no consequences to driving on the wrong side of the road, or there are other cars around, in which case you're going to drive on the correct side because you're really not going to just randomly turn into oncoming traffic.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

HookShot posted:

This is how I do it; whenever I get sort of stuck I think "steering wheel in the middle of the road no matter where I am".

*offer not valid in Myanmar*

They drive on the right but all the cars are right-hand drive. A lot of the taxi drivers work with a spotter in the passenger seat.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The main problem I had with driving in the UK was that with my wheel on the left side, I couldn't see if any cars were coming from behind when trying to get onto a highway from a on-ramp.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

When I was in Ireland they'd put a little card on the dashboard of our rental that reflected in the windscreen saying DRIVE LEFT YOU EEJIT or something to that effect.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mojo1701a posted:

It 100% does; from my own second-hand experience with my parents driving on the right in France, they were nervous at first but it became second nature in less than a day. Having other cars on the road actually helps you remember too - they really help reinforce the correct way around roundabouts, lane-changing etc. The biggest challenge will probably be the size of roads - apparently Irish roads are very small compared to US/Canadian ones, and 'locals' tend to drive very quickly because they know where all the hairpin bends and humpback bridges are. Honestly though, you'll be grand - take it at your own pace and try not to panic if some gombeen in a flat cap charges up behind you in a muddy ford escort - he'd do the same to anyone.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
As an American who had never driven on the opposite side of the road, I found driving in Ireland to be a bit more challenging than at home, but not nearly as bad as I expected. I just had to take my time and focus more than I would back home. Like others said, the main adjustment was not the driving on the opposite side, but being careful on the more narrow roads. Not all roads are narrow - there are typical major highways as well depending on where you are, but there are certainly some rural lanes where you'll be like, "wait, this is a two-way road?" But as long as you take your time and work together with anyone driving the opposite direction, you can get by each other just fine. Requesting the smallest rental car possible will definitely help if you're concerned about that kind of thing.

All that said, I found Irish driving to be super fun and enjoyable as a whole. Just take it easy, maybe factor in some extra time beyond what a GPS predicts, and have fun!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

greazeball posted:

*offer not valid in Myanmar*

They drive on the right but all the cars are right-hand drive. A lot of the taxi drivers work with a spotter in the passenger seat.

I did not know this!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys just want to say york is fun and local goons more fun.

Cheers to you all but seriously york is great that it has history winding medieval streets and pubs yet cheap enough to stay if you are outside the city center which you can totally walk

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

HookShot posted:

I did not know this!

It's pretty funny actually. Most of the cars there are/were cheap old imports from Japan and Thailand since those were the only countries that would trade with the junta, and since both of those countries drive on the left, the cars are all RHD. So they drove on the left (also thanks to their British colonial past).

Until about 1970, when a wizard (seriously) told one of the generals that the country needed to move further to the right. That prophecy was interpreted literally as meaning that they should all now drive on the right, so yeah. They now drive on the right in RHD cars. Oh yeah and some of the road signs still face the wrong way. It's only been 50 years, no real rush :v:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I have a friend who lives in Moscow. She struggles with alcoholism. When she lived in the US she would check herself into the hospital or a detox center and could attend support groups. She says these things do not exist in Russia. She tried going to Spain for treatment but says the centers there are too expensive.

Does anyone know of resources in Russia that she could utilize?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

hats4cats posted:

I have a friend who lives in Moscow. She struggles with alcoholism. When she lived in the US she would check herself into the hospital or a detox center and could attend support groups. She says these things do not exist in Russia. She tried going to Spain for treatment but says the centers there are too expensive.

Does anyone know of resources in Russia that she could utilize?

If you won’t get answers here try the Eastern Europe threads in GBS and DnD. There’s a few Russians active in these threads afaik.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I was looking at finally renting a car for the second half of my trip to Ireland, and I just discovered that my Ontario driver's licence has been expired for 3 1/2 months (the address on my licence is still my parents' place, and despite their constant crowing about it, they're not really organized at all and I never found out). I leave in almost exactly 5 weeks, and it'll take 4-6 for a full licence to be shipped to me. If it doesn't arrive, should I still have trouble driving with a temporary licence along with my expired as photo ID and passport?

Just making sure I'm not screwed and end up having to plan around it.

Edit: I just visited CAA's website, and apparently I can get an international driver's permit pretty quickly even with a temporary licence. Should I assume this is enough to rent a car and drive properly?

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 7, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That’s not really something anyone here can give a 100% answer on. I’d ask the place you’ve booked directly, or if you haven’t booked yet then book a 100% refundable rental and then ask.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mojo1701a posted:

I was looking at finally renting a car for the second half of my trip to Ireland, and I just discovered that my Ontario driver's licence has been expired for 3 1/2 months (the address on my licence is still my parents' place, and despite their constant crowing about it, they're not really organized at all and I never found out). I leave in almost exactly 5 weeks, and it'll take 4-6 for a full licence to be shipped to me. If it doesn't arrive, should I still have trouble driving with a temporary licence along with my expired as photo ID and passport?

Just making sure I'm not screwed and end up having to plan around it.

Edit: I just visited CAA's website, and apparently I can get an international driver's permit pretty quickly even with a temporary licence. Should I assume this is enough to rent a car and drive properly?

You might be screwed if your rental company does their due diligence; they're probably not going to accept a printed "temporary" license accompanied by an expired actual license, as that's not exactly difficult to fake and they have no way to validate it. The IDP makes no difference if you don't have a valid full license from your country of residence; it can't substitute for a proper license. Even if they allow it or miss the expiration date, the guards might not like it either, so you could get into some difficulty if you're stopped for an infraction or at a checkpoint (it would probably be sorted out eventually in that case, but could be a big hassle for you if they decide to impound your car in the meantime).

You could see if you can get a letter of entitlement or something from your DMV as a second verification, but that still might not be enough; it'll be up to the car hire place and they're going to be very wary of accepting easily-forged documents in lieu of an actual license. You'd probably best hope they can get your new license to you ASAP.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You are boned and don’t blame your parents. It’s your license under your name for your trip.

Enjoy public transportation or Uber or have someone else drive!

3.5 months expired is quite a long time. Normally they let you renew 6 months before expiry? So that’s 9.5 months late. Yeah it sucks :( but hey it’s still a trip!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, I also agree that an IDP won't help as the IDP doesn't really mean anything, and especially for Ireland it's pointless since your license is already written in English and the IDP is just a translation and not a valid document by itself.

Also that's absolutely nuts that it would take 4-6 weeks to get a new license. I renewed my license the last time I was in the US and it was like 5 days, and US DMV's aren't exactly a paragon of efficiency.

If you call and ask about using a temporary license, which might be OK, try to get something in writing from a manager or whatever, as I could see a rental agent being a dick/dumbass about it and saying "I called and they said it was OK!!" is not going to help you at all. Also are you the only driver? If not, just get your girlfriend or whatever to be the primary driver, and then they probably won't check your license nearly as closely if you're just the +1. For police or whatever a temporary license is legal, although I guess theoretically they could hassle you.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Yeah, sorry about last night. I was just venting and wondering exactly how screwed I am. Most likely I'll get it way before I take off, but if worse comes to worst I'll just look at booking some private tours instead. I also found out I have some kind of extended family living in Dublin, so that might eat up a day there anyway.

If I do end up taking public transportation, would I then have a main reason to visit Derry? I wanted to stop in there as a point between Galway and Belfast to visit the Giant's Causeway, but if I can get tours from Belfast to the Causeway, then I don't see any point and can spend another day in one of the other cities.

Saladman posted:

Yeah, I also agree that an IDP won't help as the IDP doesn't really mean anything, and especially for Ireland it's pointless since your license is already written in English and the IDP is just a translation and not a valid document by itself.

Also that's absolutely nuts that it would take 4-6 weeks to get a new license. I renewed my license the last time I was in the US and it was like 5 days, and US DMV's aren't exactly a paragon of efficiency.

Yeah, that makes sense for the IDP. I was hoping it'd just be a way to verify that it's a legit valid licence. Still, can't hurt to get one. It's just $25 and the CAA office is literally downstairs in the same parking lot as my work.

I have the temporary licence. I mean, Ontario's a huge province so that could be why, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's due to cutbacks from the past two decades (the one set of cutbacks I can't blame on Doug Ford being premier*). ServiceOntario, the department that takes care of licences, also does everything else for the province, like health cards.

*for those of you unaware, the newly-elected premier of Ontario is the brother of the late, infamous, former crack-smoking mayor of Toronto.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Good luck with your Irish trip! I’m sure it will still be fun!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

caberham posted:

Good luck with your Irish trip! I’m sure it will still be fun!

Oh, no doubt. My plan to make some friends is to stop at the duty-free at Pearson and bring some bottles of maple syrup and Canadian whisky, maybe even Wayne Gretzky No. 99 (how many Irish can say they've had whisky matured in an ice wine barrel by The Great One?)

It will also never amaze me how dense European cities are. Last year, I went to Paris which is about the same population as Toronto, but 3x more dense. Dublin has the same population as Hamilton (my current city), but 4x more dense.

Edit: I'm actually more worried about the CPA auditing class I have. The exam is on the Friday before I leave.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 8, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I doubt many Irish will be particularly familiar with Wayne Gretzky beyond “he’s an ice hockey player right”, but the best of goon luck to you

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

webmeister posted:

I doubt many Irish will be particularly familiar with Wayne Gretzky beyond “he’s an ice hockey player right”, but the best of goon luck to you

Oh, I know that. I was raised in his home town and must spread the word.

Also the birthplace of Phil Hartman, but no one outside of internet circles remembers him :(.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

As an irish person of long standing, I'd be way keener to hear about Phil Hartman than Wayne Gretzky.

(He's an ice-hockey player, right?)

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Pookah posted:

As an irish person of long standing, I'd be way keener to hear about Phil Hartman than Wayne Gretzky.

(He's an ice-hockey player, right?)

:v:

Seriously, though, the town is huge into Gretzky. Almost a quarter of all place-names are named after him, and his father is a local celebrity.

Hartman just has a plaque downtown somewhere (though to be fair, his family left when he was 5).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

*for those of you unaware, the newly-elected premier of Ontario is the brother of the late, infamous, former crack-smoking mayor of Toronto.

Holy poo poo, I was not aware. Sometimes it is good to know that the average Canadian is as absolutely brain-dead as the average American*.

*or really the average [insert nationality here] but sometimes it gets old when you hear people "lol ur country voted for Trump" which is ironic when it's coming from someone who comes from any democratic country that has elected a horrible person to a major office in the past 20 years, which is probably ±100% of democratic countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Saladman posted:

Holy poo poo, I was not aware. Sometimes it is good to know that the average Canadian is as absolutely brain-dead as the average American*.

*or really the average [insert nationality here] but sometimes it gets old when you hear people "lol ur country voted for Trump" which is ironic when it's coming from someone who comes from any democratic country that has elected a horrible person to a major office in the past 20 years, which is probably ±100% of democratic countries.

One of his main platforms was "buck-a-beer", which was to lower the minimum required price for beer down to $1 and to somehow get breweries to agree to it using... unspecified reasons which are only going to favour giant breweries like Molson. It also didn't help that they heavily courted the immigrant vote by promising to repeal a "controversial" (it would update a two-decade-old curriculum by telling children gay people exist and that gender might not be as immutable as people think) sex-ed curriculum that the last government implemented. Also, like our federal government, we're a FPTP parliamentary system that allocated him a majority in provincial parliament with somewhere between 30-40% of the popular vote.

Never underestimate the Canadian tendency to rationalize right-wing bullshit by convincing yourself it's "not really going to be that bad" or that others are "somehow worse" (we had ONE NDP -- that's centre-left party -- premier who did nothing too bad, but is somehow poison provincially). It's going to be an absolute shitshow.

Anyway, to bring it back on topic, I try not to talk politics in other countries since I'm just visiting, but I do love pointing out to people unaware exactly how dumb ours can be.