Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I had a chance encounter with Eccleston at Dulles Airport once; we were both waiting on a flight to Los Angeles and we were sitting a few seats apart in the waiting area. (Note: Never fly out of Dulles if you can avoid it.) I summoned the testicular fortitude to ask, "Excuse me, are you Mr. Eccleston?"

He said, "Call me Chris, and yes."

I told him I was a huge fan of his work dating back to Cracker and that I especially loved him as the Doctor. He told me, "That program was a shitshow to work on, but the fans are the greatest and I love all of you." I shook his hand and left him alone after that.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He fled a bunch of stuffy old bureaucrats to go spread joy and optimism to the world.... he never stopped being the Doctor :aaa:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Timby posted:

I told him I was a huge fan of his work dating back to Cracker and that I especially loved him as the Doctor. He told me, "That program was a shitshow to work on, but the fans are the greatest and I love all of you." I shook his hand and left him alone after that.

Gee, it's dusty in here. Another Cracker fan :D

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ewe2 posted:

Gee, it's dusty in here. Another Cracker fan :D

John Simm is in an episode of Cracker playing a 17-year-old boy and he looks, if anything, even younger than that, and it's ridiculous. ...not a terrible episode, bit dated these days.
Harry Saxon, yesterday:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Davros1 posted:

To do 10 eps before Dec 25, the latest it could air is Oct 16.

I thought this was the Dec 25 Oct 31 joke at first

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HopperUK posted:

John Simm is in an episode of Cracker playing a 17-year-old boy and he looks, if anything, even younger than that, and it's ridiculous. ...not a terrible episode, bit dated these days.
Harry Saxon, yesterday:

Jesus, Simm is aging gracefully. I mean, you can tell that a decade has passed since his first appearance as the Master, but in The Doctor Falls he doesn't at all look like he's nearing 50.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Timby posted:

I had a chance encounter with Eccleston at Dulles Airport once; we were both waiting on a flight to Los Angeles and we were sitting a few seats apart in the waiting area. (Note: Never fly out of Dulles if you can avoid it.) I summoned the testicular fortitude to ask, "Excuse me, are you Mr. Eccleston?"

He said, "Call me Chris, and yes."

There’s not a :unsmith: big enough for this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Zero posted:

There’s not a :unsmith: big enough for this.

It really was just such a fantastic (:v:) experience. I didn't want to bother him too much so I didn't ask for a photograph or anything; traveling in airports (again, especially Dulles) is lovely enough, but he had the biggest goddamn grin and the warmest handshake. He's always been my favorite Doctor so that brief experience is something I'll treasure forever.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Chris Ecclestone sounds fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

traveling in airports (again, especially Dulles)

Dulles is the worst*. Dullest.

*Newark is trying to break that record.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

It really was just such a fantastic (:v:) experience. I didn't want to bother him too much so I didn't ask for a photograph or anything; traveling in airports (again, especially Dulles) is lovely enough, but he had the biggest goddamn grin and the warmest handshake. He's always been my favorite Doctor so that brief experience is something I'll treasure forever.

That's wonderful.

When I met Peter Davison I said something like "it's not very often that you get to meet your heroes" and he just stopped, looked ta me and gave me the most wonderful smile. I really need to make a point of tracking down C.Bakes before time robs me of the ability to meet him.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Never did get around to it earlier in the year, but I want to at least watch the first Doctor before 13 is up whenever. My main library has the dvds for most of season 1 - 4, but it missing the Dalek episode that is the second serial. Shame, but I do have the Rifftrax that mocked the bad movie remake of it so I can still see it in a way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You really want to watch The Daleks if you can. There's a lot of padding in the middle but the first 2-3 episodes and the last are really great and you can see why they captured the imagination of the nation at the time.

The Dalek Invasion of Earth is the superior story though, it's also got padding but I genuinely enjoy almost all of it. It actually feels like a lived in world.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm getting so antsy waiting for the new season that I really want to watch some old Who. I know, I know, I'm a terrible revival-only fan. but reading almost the entirety of Sandifer's TARDIS Eruditorium sold me on the old stuff. The only full episode I've ever seen is an episode from Attack of the Cybermen, which, yikes.

Is there any easy way to watch any serials? Everything on Amazon streaming needs to be bought, and IIRC Netflix has none of it now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh hey for anyone who hasn't seen this yet. The Ringer named Blink the 92nd best episode of television this century. Cool, even if their initial write-up said Moffat was the showrunner at the time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spatula City posted:

I'm getting so antsy waiting for the new season that I really want to watch some old Who. I know, I know, I'm a terrible revival-only fan. but reading almost the entirety of Sandifer's TARDIS Eruditorium sold me on the old stuff. The only full episode I've ever seen is an episode from Attack of the Cybermen, which, yikes.

Is there any easy way to watch any serials? Everything on Amazon streaming needs to be bought, and IIRC Netflix has none of it now.

Check the OP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
San Junipero should've got on the list instead of Be Right Back :colbert:

Also, while I'm surprised to see Lost take the top spot, I won't deny that "The Constant" deserves it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TinTower posted:

Also, while I'm surprised to see Lost take the top spot, I won't deny that "The Constant" deserves it.

Henry Ian Cusick should be the next Doctor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Edward Mass posted:

Check the OP.

thanks!

I'll have to think about whether I can afford Britbox. Maybe just until series 11 premieres? I think I'll start with Pertwee, because I'm not keen on reconstructions.

also, randomly, I watched the first few episodes of Sapphire and Steel on Amazon Prime, and that poo poo is AMAZING. Really slow, but ~atmospheric~, and the leads are great, especially Joanna Lumley. It's got a different feel than Who, but owes so much to it. Fascinating stuff.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

TinTower posted:

Also, the best episode of BoJack is "The Old Sugarman Place." :colbert:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Why, I have half a mind…

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spatula City posted:

also, randomly, I watched the first few episodes of Sapphire and Steel on Amazon Prime, and that poo poo is AMAZING. Really slow, but ~atmospheric~, and the leads are great, especially Joanna Lumley. It's got a different feel than Who, but owes so much to it. Fascinating stuff.

S&S is fantastic, and completely off the wall. The best framework I can put them in is that they’re Gallifreyan CIA agents assigned to the most bizarre cases.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"I don't know what it was about."-

Peter J Hammond, creator of Sapphire and Steel.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here all the episodes I got at the library. Two had to be put up due to hitting the limit, but those are from season 4 and getting sent to the local library (was downtown) so it not a big deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tumblr is a goddamned blight on the internet DO NOT GO TO TUMBLR.

But Imgur is an innocent place and I saw this in an image dump there and I never mentally connected Tennants FACE in this scene

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imgur is also bad but it's the most convenient hosting site.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Imgur is also bad but it's the most convenient hosting site.

I didn't even realize it had a "community" until a year or so ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I didn't even realize it had a "community" until a year or so ago.

Every time I read comments and they're talking about points and statuses and "cake days" I get so goddamn confused. It's an imagehost!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I read comments and they're talking about points and statuses and "cake days" I get so goddamn confused. It's an imagehost!

It was created to be an imagehost specifically for Reddit, and then it became its own separate thing with the exact same voting, comments, communities, etc as Reddit. It’s bizarre. For the longest time, I assumed the comments under pictures were just mirrored from Reddit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BF are going back to E-Space! :toot:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1026394305534066688

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Peter playing the hits from Doctor Who:

https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/1026212180843278341

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

While I'm always happy to see more 4th Doctor stories...I must confess a bit of disappointment that the new Companion from Series 8 seems to not be carrying over

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just realized, I think this may be the first photo of Tom and Lalla together since their divorce.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
I highly doubt it, the photo in that tweet reeks of Photoshop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, none of those people are in the same room.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Do you think BF gives Lalla first dibs at the lunch buffet in exchange for putting up with Tom?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tom’s lunch buffet is just a table of pint glasses.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do you think BF gives Lalla first dibs at the lunch buffet in exchange for putting up with Tom?

Big Finish usually record with all the cast together, but they record these plays separately, in different studios. I think Lalla Ward basically records in a vacuum; they have Jane Slavin do her part in the cast recording and then replace her takes with Ward's performance.

(It's how they cast Tom's new, upcoming companion. He liked working with Jane Slavin so much they wrote a character for her to play regularly.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 6, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'll make a crosspost in this thread since it seems active; this isn't directly Doctor-related but there's some overlap.

This month's Book Barn Book of the Month is All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott; it's stories of an english country vet, set in the 1930's and early '40s, lightly fictionalized and semi-autobiographical; sometimes he saves the animals, sometimes he doesn't, but he always tries.

How does this relate to Doctor Who, you ask?

Peter Davison, who as you all know played the original-series Celery Doctor, spent like a decade playing the younger rapscallion vet Tristan Farnon in the BBC TV version of the book series:

So if you want to imagine the Fifth Doctor taking a few decades' worth of sabbatical as a rural British vet, getting up to hijinks and pranks and suchlike, come read and/or watch the series and discuss:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864759

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Peter Davison, who as you all know played the original-series Celery Doctor, spent like a decade playing the younger rapscallion vet Tristan Farnon in the BBC TV version of the book series

Ah, a fine but unhygienic mixture of a pleasant, open face, with an arm up a cow’s arse.

• Locked thread