Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm shocked shocked that there is no repository of these fine animals. Everyone knows that your tortie or calico rules your home, it's the way of things.

Here is Noot, a young princess of nearly 9 months.

Usually perplexed that I am not constantly feeding her or cuddling her or paying attention NOW

Noot wants to play a lot and doesn't really get the not-biting-play idea, she is a trapper. When she's a little older I think I will need to get her a playmate, she loves me a lot and I feel she's a little frustrated that I don't play like a cat. When she gets a bit excited she'll often go into the bathroom because she's discovered how loud her meows are in there and will scream a bit to get my attention so I'll chase her :3:

Noot is also the most talky cat I've ever owned, with a wide repertoire of sounds, ranging from almost silent mews (begging for food) to throaty rowrs (when food is coming), rising chirpy pthbbs (what are you doing?), almost howly rowrs (come and chase me, or lately, I DID A POO), and variations in between. There's a lot going on there, plus loud purring of course.

Note the toys at the top of the picture. I haven't seen the mouse since then, that was 3 months ago.

So What Is A Tortie/Calico/Caliby?

From Wikipedia:

Wiki posted:

Tortoiseshell is a cat coat coloring named for its similarity to tortoiseshell material. Like calicos, tortoiseshell cats are almost exclusively female.[1][2][3] Male tortoiseshells are rare and are usually sterile.[4][a]

Also called torties for short, tortoiseshell cats combine two colors other than white, either closely mixed or in larger patches.[2] The colors are often described as red and black, but the "red" patches can instead be orange, yellow, or cream,[2] and the "black" can instead be chocolate, grey, tabby, or blue.[2] Tortoiseshell cats with the tabby pattern as one of their colors are sometimes referred to as a torbie.[6]

"Tortoiseshell" is typically reserved for particolored cats with relatively small or no white markings. Those that are largely white with tortoiseshell patches are described as tricolor,[2] tortoiseshell-and-white (in the United Kingdom), or calico (in Canada and the United States).[7]

Tortoiseshell markings appear in many different breeds, as well as in non-purebred domestic cats.[7] This pattern is especially preferred in the Japanese Bobtail breed,[8] and exists in the Cornish Rex group.[9]

You can read more there, it's basically a genetic mutation that selects almost completely for females.

Post your princesses and queens!

Noot is waiting! Do it!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Hi Noot!

Here is queen Mackerel. She excels at staring into space and generally creeping people out with her space cadet ways.

She enjoys that favourite pastime of cat-kind, fitting into boxes that are far too small.

Queen Macksy is best displayed in bright morning sunlight.

She has a long and storied history of sitting on things, especially games consoles.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
My boyfriend and I take care of a feral colony and do TNR.

Last year we caught a litter of kittens and their mother. Mama cat is a dilute tortie and so is one of the kittens.

We were able to find homes for 2 of the kittens but the other 3 just refused to be tamed.

They were utterly terrified so we just spayed and neutered them and released them. After another 3 months or so, all three of the feral kittens decided to come inside and they all eventually decided that our house was home.

The fifth kitten we caught, we never got around to naming her because once we had her, we were able to take them all to be fixed, so we just called her Five. Five eventually starting answering to Pretty Girl and so now her name is Pretty Girl Five. She is a dilute tortie. She's also one of the sweetest cats I've ever met.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What lovely torties and calicos! I prefer the name "cream tortie", "dilute" seems vaguely offensive :v: But cream torties are very beautiful!

Also, as alluded, these cats have very emphatic personalities, despite what scientists say. Noot is extremely talkative for a domestic short hair, she makes 7 distinct noises, and being still a kitten, demands that I play with her; she particularly likes being chased and will often fluff up her tail and zoom around. She loves to play-bite and it's proving difficult to train her out of it. Is there such a thing as the tortie stare? Sometimes Noot sits there with her ears flattened and her eyes bugging out, usually watching me, it looks like her confusion reaction, I'm not sure.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Pretty definitely stares at us, but I think it's more of a factor of her being the cat in charge. And I don't know if I can contribute to the vocal/not vocal thing. Pretty acts like most feral cats. She doesn't make any noise. I'm trying to encourage her and her siblings to talk more by rewarding them any time they meow, purr or trill. It is slow going

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib

ewe2 posted:

What lovely torties and calicos! I prefer the name "cream tortie", "dilute" seems vaguely offensive :v: But cream torties are very beautiful!

Also, as alluded, these cats have very emphatic personalities, despite what scientists say. Noot is extremely talkative for a domestic short hair, she makes 7 distinct noises, and being still a kitten, demands that I play with her; she particularly likes being chased and will often fluff up her tail and zoom around. She loves to play-bite and it's proving difficult to train her out of it. Is there such a thing as the tortie stare? Sometimes Noot sits there with her ears flattened and her eyes bugging out, usually watching me, it looks like her confusion reaction, I'm not sure.

Yes, Mackerel is fairly vocal as well. Not like Siamese-level vocal, but she has a high pitched "meep" she uses on a regular basis, usually out of excitement when food is being prepared, or when she wants scritches. She is also a prey chitterer (chitters at birds and things she can see out the window).

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
This is Tilly Bean aka The Bean. She is 12 now and just a bunch of love. She is loud and demanding when she needs to be.
https://imgur.com/a/i9HdTsx

She's so beautiful, like a super model of torties https://imgur.com/a/1F1QZFr

Nutella fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 7, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love the classic split face tortie look :3:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
New favorite thread :allears:

This is Pequod

She enjoys lounging all over the apartment, but especially in my art room

Attacking scratching posts from the top instead of the bottom

And judging me while I prep/cook food

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Attacking scratching posts from the top instead of the bottom

I like her style

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

New favorite thread :allears:

And judging me while I prep/cook food

New favourite calico :3: :kimchi: :3: I like that from the front she looks mostly white until she turns around and there's those big splotches of black and red like a saddle.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

New favourite calico :3: :kimchi: :3: I like that from the front she looks mostly white until she turns around and there's those big splotches of black and red like a saddle.

She's also got a black spot on her chest/in her armpit

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hello thread and all the fabulous cattes! This is Willow but we call her Princess or just kitten although she is 8 she will always be a kitten shhh.
She is actually pretty quiet except this soft mrrph sound she makes when she is about to be fed or if she sees a bird through the window.
She is hard to photograph because she is a bit flighty but very sweet
Thanks for making the thread!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
My tortie is a big rear end in a top hat, as expected, and has been since I got her as a kitten. Except now she’s 8 so she’s a big CRANKY rear end in a top hat.

She’s laying happily on me now but earlier she bit me for no reason. Stupid torties.

E: here’s her also in case you didn’t see it in the Chester thread

“I will kill you”

...don’t get me wrong though, I love her and she’s very sweet (when she wants to be). She’s purring loudly while I am petting her.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 10, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fuzz Feets posted:

Thanks for making the thread!

No, thank YOU, I'm more than repaid by seeing all these wonderful kitties, it was my cunning plan :3: Willow sounds quite laid back for a tortie! Noot makes such absurd sounds a lot, I call her Squeaky half the time.

Thin Privilege posted:

She’s laying happily on me now but earlier she bit me for no reason. Stupid torties.

What's your kitties name? edit: Oh it's Kitty, LOL. Also your Chester thread is great, you are some kind of cat whisperer!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 11, 2018

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

This is Widget. She hates all other cats, loves me, and tolerates other people. Sometimes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is...is she a Maine Coon calico?! :swoon:

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Spent some time disturbing Pretty's sleep with my camera this morning

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not mine, but have a cute calico kitten.

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_paxwk7agv71w5pr9j.mp4

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quality not the best, but I've been trying to get a snap of this Noot look:

I think of it as her derpface.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
That it's a great derpface

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

From the Star Citzen thread, an excellent source of cattes :3: :3: :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ewe2 posted:

What's your kitties name? edit: Oh it's Kitty, LOL. Also your Chester thread is great, you are some kind of cat whisperer!

Thanks! And cats just gravitate towards me for some reason. I was on vacation and was on some tour and they were like, “this is [cat’s name], he just chills around here but doesn’t really interact with humans.” I sat on a bench and the little adorable face came over and sat on my lap. I have a picture somewhere. And when I was younger and went to bars and people’s houses (some bars had cats for some reason) the cats would just rub on and/or sit on me but not other people.

Fuckers know I’m a sucker (for cats). Yes that rhymes.

Cats are weird.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuw1W_AN1zk

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

A picture from some years ago. This sweetheart was one of the cats at a place where I used to work. One of the gentlest cats I've ever met. Any time she came to sit on my lap or just next to me was the highlight of my day. She was a nervous cat with low self-confidence - her meows were meek and barely audible - and would bolt at even the slightest unexpected sound (or whenever one of the others challenged for her spot), so even five minutes with her were very precious. Sadly she died unexpectedly aged eight. Even though she was never 'my' cat I genuinely miss her.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Meet Betty. (As a baby, 4.5 years ago.)

Betty enjoys taking naps on me.

Laying on her back and looking fat and ridiculous.

Betty is territorial as gently caress towards guests and bedding. (I got her shaved this summer.)

A blue jay was harassing her on this day, so she refused to leave the patio.

I relate to OP in that Betty is loud as gently caress. She meows, chirps, howls, etc. She's chatty.

Also - she's a total rear end in a top hat, but I love her!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tuesday, of tum and toebeans

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Sadly she died unexpectedly aged eight. Even though she was never 'my' cat I genuinely miss her.

:cry: those are truly the special cats.

Oh wow :swoon: so cute, but I couldn't go with the high maintenance fur factor.

The prime tortie marker, I've realized, is stubbornness. They get an idea and won't be deterred. For instance, they like cuddles but on their terms. Don't be messing up the cuddle schedule! Look, that onion skin is CLEARLY a toy. I'm invisible when your back is turned so sneaking on the bench will work this time. *insert tortie experience here*

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Tuesday, of tum and toebeans

It's a goddamn trap, don't even think about it.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 7, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I come with not just one but two Calico/Torties for the thread.

This is the magnificent BB. Stare at her and be in awe of her cute (she really has one of the cutest cat meows I've ever heard, but she only unleashes its power when it's time for food).

More BB:

Why yes, I only have one eye - it just adds to my charm!

BB is cute, but she is not the boss. Meet Ginger, she's the biggest cat that makes all of the rules (BB just breaks those rules):

In this house, everything is cat furniture:

Finally, double-decker cats!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

She kept nodding off while I was watching some history videos on YouTube. She prefers cat rescue videos.

Lately she's begun teething. Everything is a trap.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Lot of good cats in here. This is Fiona sitting in a box of Christmas ornaments I put up out of the way so she'd stay out of there.

This is a more recent one of her and Ushi.

This is my favorite photo of her which I've probably posted here before

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Loving the "dilute" calicos here!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Mom just got a new tortie kitten. Meet Shakti:

We adopted her yesterday. She loves that windowsill, and will probably rest there for a while before Sukha, her adult roomie, is ready to interact with her.

Sukha's like a tortie tabby. A torbie

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Extremely good girls!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solitair posted:

Mom just got a new tortie kitten. Meet Shakti:

She's the most caliby/calico I've ever seen, rare to see one with just a white chest and mittens :3: I don't know how strict the line is between calico and caliby, most calicos I've seen have some striping in the ginger/orange because it's a tabby colour, its almost impossible to find them without some tabby markings except in the swirly UK gingers.

quote:

Sukha's like a tortie tabby. A torbie

Also very striking tabby markings, wow.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh HELL YEAH I just realized this thread exists.

I present to you: Chloe "Bean" Jane _________

She just turned 3. :3:

She's an adorable, squeaky little poo poo and I love her so drat much.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Oh HELL YEAH I just realized this thread exists.

She's an adorable, squeaky little poo poo and I love her so drat much.

Good god so she is :3: Like my Noot only with a black nose to boop!

Here's my idiot today, in "lying at the foot of her conqueror" style:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This here is Callie, she's approximately 3 years old:

If you think you have seen these pictures in other cat related threads on this forum, you have, I'm lazy :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

This here is Callie, she's approximately 3 years old:

She's a cutie :3: I want to point something out that sharp-eyed tortie/calico readers may have noticed, the white hairs flecking the patches, which my Noot also has. This is to do with the way the melanocytes carry pigment to the skin. White is unpigmented melanocytes that lead to unpigmented fur. As noted in the Wikipedia article, this can be at different rates so that in rare cases, even full torties can gradually go white. There's no way of telling when that happens, and in most cases it never changes.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, one more, Chloe with her faithful cuddle buddy Chip!

So, like, just so you know ewe2 there's a basically a Beanie Baby of Noot. :3: (Also comes in the tiny size from McDonald's and the bigger Beanie Buddy size.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Good blep. :3: