Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

astral posted:

As far as I know, it is not on the roadmap.

Righto, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
So the quick reply / post window gets cut off if you're using the YOSPOS themes, so you can't hit the buttons at the bottom. Doesn't seem to matter if it's amber or green. This is in Firefox 61.0 64-bit.

EDIT: Occasionally the window loads fine, but I can't reproduce that. Almost all of the time it does what's in the screenshot above.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 4, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a "dark mode" option I'm just not seeing?
If not, are there plans to include one?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I too would love a dark mode, but I fully understand if it's just not in the cards for whatever reason.

It's also *still* doing that thing where randomly I have to reload the page before it'll let me bring up the post thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I apologize if this was asked before, but there is a bug in Firefox and am wondering if there's a way I can fix it by messing with SALR for Firefox?

When I click on a link to a post, or click on a thread to bring me to the last unread post, I notice Firefox always brings me back way too far. It has something to do with the way Firefox is loading images or maybe twitter embeds or something. It can be very frustrating when someone links to a direct post (or I click a quoted post from a different page) and it brings me to the wrong post. I always have to scroll down to the correct one, and sometimes I am not even aware what the correct one is.

I tried SALR and it still does that, though. I know this is not SALR's fault but is there something I can change in SALR so "go to last unread post" or direct post links actually "dump" me to the correct post?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. As a sidenote, SALR is fantastic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Twitter embeds gently caress page loads up because they load in after the rest of the page, apparently.

I've mapped a mouse button to "o" which puts you at the last read post.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Twitter embeds gently caress page loads up because they load in after the rest of the page, apparently.

I've mapped a mouse button to "o" which puts you at the last read post.

Chrome doesn't have the issue though. Is there anyway to fix it in Firefox? I really want to use Firefox. Like, is there any way to tell Firefox to embed Twitter before the rest of the page?

As for your shortcut, you just press "o" and it brings you to the proper post? Even with the Twitter embed stuff?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Chrome doesn't have the issue though.

Yes, it does. I just tested it with the TFF chat thread and it totally messed things up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mcbexx posted:

Is there a "dark mode" option I'm just not seeing?
If not, are there plans to include one?
If you have Tampermonkey or some other tool like it you can install this script for a dark theme.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

I apologize if this was asked before, but there is a bug in Firefox and am wondering if there's a way I can fix it by messing with SALR for Firefox?

When I click on a link to a post, or click on a thread to bring me to the last unread post, I notice Firefox always brings me back way too far. It has something to do with the way Firefox is loading images or maybe twitter embeds or something. It can be very frustrating when someone links to a direct post (or I click a quoted post from a different page) and it brings me to the wrong post. I always have to scroll down to the correct one, and sometimes I am not even aware what the correct one is.

I tried SALR and it still does that, though. I know this is not SALR's fault but is there something I can change in SALR so "go to last unread post" or direct post links actually "dump" me to the correct post?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. As a sidenote, SALR is fantastic.
SALR attempts to fix that with the "Adjust window position after threads load" setting underneath "Thread Options", but it was always a janky solution and there's now way better methods for detecting when this happens that would be ideal to rewrite it to use.

But yeah, it's because of twitter embeds and the like which load after the fact on SALR.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Twitter is, as ever, a net negative on the Earth.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ulmont posted:

Yes, it does. I just tested it with the TFF chat thread and it totally messed things up.

Weird. I am in the Trump thread a lot which has tons of Twitter embeds and I have no issues with it in Chrome. No clue why it works for me.

Master_Odin posted:

SALR attempts to fix that with the "Adjust window position after threads load" setting underneath "Thread Options", but it was always a janky solution and there's now way better methods for detecting when this happens that would be ideal to rewrite it to use.

But yeah, it's because of twitter embeds and the like which load after the fact on SALR.

I just checked and I already had that setting checked, but I also unchecked the option underneath it that said "stop if user scrolls" and now that that's unchecked it works great! Thank you so much!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

As for your shortcut, you just press "o" and it brings you to the proper post? Even with the Twitter embed stuff?

It does for me.

I can't remember where I found the shortcut, probably in this thread, but it's useful as hell when things take a while to load in.

EDIT: Okay, the one time it doesn't work is after I post a reply and the url ends with #lastpost rather than a specific post id.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So this is weird. Firefox went back to dumping me at the wrong posts due to the way Twitter embeds work. I promise this does not happen in Chrome at all, no matter how hard I try. But I really don't like Chrome.

Is there any weird css code I can add somewhere to fix this? It's not unlivable but like I said, when I get directly linked to a post a lot of times I am seeing the incorrect one which can be confusing when I am trying to follow a guide or instructions or whatever.

I am not sure why it seems to be intermittent in Firefox. It's really weird.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Regarding dark-mode stuff, might as well post it here since I posted it in some other QQCC Thread:

If you want the simple/quick way - but not really tuned (though it works for all websites)

https://darkreader.org/

If you want some decent looking themes, install Tampermonkey/Stylus (not Stylish like the page suggests, that's malware/tracking whatever the gently caress type stuff now).

These are the 2 dark theme that's work (Will take just a little bit playing around with SALR coloring if you use that, easily customizable/etc)

https://userstyles.org/styles/150498/something-awfully-wronger
https://userstyles.org/styles/149412/something-awful-dark-theme

(just click Install Style if you used Stylus, or "Install as install style as userscript" if you use Tampermonkey (my preferred choice).

examples:

(You also may need to install: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/somethingawful-fixes/hkcmehfaiggpkbggojdnlnhpalabcjbm and use Old CSS styles if you're getting weird glitches

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I was too dumb to figure out how to just make Yospos.css the default theme which probably woulda been just as easy but my brain has turned off all .css/web design since I quit that job like 10 years ago

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hirez posted:

Regarding dark-mode stuff, might as well post it here since I posted it in some other QQCC Thread:

If you want the simple/quick way - but not really tuned (though it works for all websites)

https://darkreader.org/

If you want some decent looking themes, install Tampermonkey/Stylus (not Stylish like the page suggests, that's malware/tracking whatever the gently caress type stuff now).

These are the 2 dark theme that's work (Will take just a little bit playing around with SALR coloring if you use that, easily customizable/etc)

https://userstyles.org/styles/150498/something-awfully-wronger
https://userstyles.org/styles/149412/something-awful-dark-theme

(just click Install Style if you used Stylus, or "Install as install style as userscript" if you use Tampermonkey (my preferred choice).

examples:

(You also may need to install: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/somethingawful-fixes/hkcmehfaiggpkbggojdnlnhpalabcjbm and use Old CSS styles if you're getting weird glitches

Is there a Dark Reader equivalent for Safari?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Steakandchips posted:

Is there a Dark Reader equivalent for Safari?
Yeah but you have to pay $1.99. http://alexdenk.eu/mywork/darkmode.html

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Issue with the Firefox version, if you have multiple windows open and click the extension on any of them, it automatically opens up in the first window open's current tab.

EDIT:
Also it would be nice to have an option to allow Thread Highlighting to override the bookmarked thread highlighting, since if you have read/unread threads in your User CP, it's just a big wall of one color. Maybe on the User CP have it default to thread highlighting, since obviously all of those threads are bookmarked?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 16, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Issue with the Firefox version, if you have multiple windows open and click the extension on any of them, it automatically opens up in the first window open's current tab.

Will look into this after I finish the stuff I'm working on.

quote:

EDIT:
Also it would be nice to have an option to allow Thread Highlighting to override the bookmarked thread highlighting, since if you have read/unread threads in your User CP, it's just a big wall of one color. Maybe on the User CP have it default to thread highlighting, since obviously all of those threads are bookmarked?

Already on the to-do list. :)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is searching within threads broken? I never get any results, even for terms that I know are in the thread. I can't tell for sure if it's an SALR problem, a me problem, or a forums problem; it seems like the latter but I wanted to be sure

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's searching in general that's broken.
You aren't actually searching the live forums, you're searching an index that's weeks behind.

e: seems like we're stuck on July 6th right now, so most posts past that date won't show up in search (some still do, because the forums work in mysterious ways)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 20, 2018

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Question about links-to-images, with curly brackets for illustration:

{url=https://address/bla/bla/}A whole lot of words about the linked image{/url}

What happens to those words? I ran across it because of a PPJ post telling people to go to a new thread, but he linked an image with the entire paragraph as the text and I only even realized it was there because of a brief flash before the image loaded.

Maybe limit it to where the text matches the URL, because when people do that it's because of humor value/description of what you're going to see/generally you want that text.

Also, is there a release channel aside from AMO for testing updates?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harik posted:

Question about links-to-images, with curly brackets for illustration:

{url=https://address/bla/bla/}A whole lot of words about the linked image{/url}

What happens to those words? I ran across it because of a PPJ post telling people to go to a new thread, but he linked an image with the entire paragraph as the text and I only even realized it was there because of a brief flash before the image loaded.

Maybe limit it to where the text matches the URL, because when people do that it's because of humor value/description of what you're going to see/generally you want that text.

Personally I recommend against using links-to-images, but it's something that could be looked into eventually.

quote:

Also, is there a release channel aside from AMO for testing updates?

There used to be a beta channel on AMO where beta updates could be pushed, but they got rid of that. I suspect it was in large part because they designed it very poorly - from what I heard, if you were on the beta channel and a later stable version came out in the stable channel, you wouldn't get the updated version.

Now it's probably just self- (probably as github releases) hosted. I'll have a better answer when I have some test versions for the localstorage->storage.local migration available.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 6, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
...turns out my problem was just caused by how ridiculously huge the Star Citizen recap thread's pages are, lol.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 10, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Is there any way for you to avoid the keyboard navigation shortcuts being invoked when the user types a browser chord?

i.e. Control+F jumps to first post on the current page.

astral posted:

Looks like a bug; thanks for the report!

edit: I can't actually reproduce this anymore on Nightly, so I'm guessing something got fixed on the Firefox side or something.

I'm getting this on firefox 63 b9 (latest developer edition), was the nightly then further along than the developer edition is now?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
When SALR Redux for FF is enabled for me in Waterfox 56.2.3 twitter embeds only partially load until I refresh the page and then they load like normal.

Broken embed example:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vapor Moon posted:

When SALR Redux for FF is enabled for me in Waterfox 56.2.3 twitter embeds only partially load until I refresh the page and then they load like normal.

Broken embed example:

I am not really familiar with or support Waterfox, but SALR Redux probably wouldn't work very well with Firefox 56 since it looks like Waterfox is based on that - it lacks some of the necessary WebExtensions bits. I'd have suggested trying legacy SALR (which is no longer supported), but you had previously PMed me that it had some issues now.

SALR Redux is only supported for Firefox on current versions (ESR is included, so v60 and up). Personally, I'd recommend updating to one of those rather than trusting that whatever folks are trying to keep some version of Fx56.x limping along will be able to keep on top of security/privacy issues. Modern Firefox is really quite a bit faster; I was a little reluctant to make the 52ESR->60+ jump, and put it off until after the very last minute, but am very glad that I did.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Is Twitter embeds something this extension does or the forums? I was trying to figure out why they weren't embedding for me, but I didn't see anything in SALR's settings.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So this might have been mentioned previously and I missed it but is there any chance of a "dark/night mode"? I do a lot of night time browsing and I don't want to keep beating up my eyes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hannibal posted:

Is Twitter embeds something this extension does or the forums? I was trying to figure out why they weren't embedding for me, but I didn't see anything in SALR's settings.

Forums.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And they're disabled by the tracking protection, so try turning that off on SA.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Edit: actually I have no idea what's causing it, it just randomly starts and stops loading properly.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 7, 2018

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Kassad posted:

And they're disabled by the tracking protection, so try turning that off on SA.

Thanks, that was the culprit. I had been through all the settings - SALR, Firefox, extensions, the forums - and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working anymore.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

So this might have been mentioned previously and I missed it but is there any chance of a "dark/night mode"? I do a lot of night time browsing and I don't want to keep beating up my eyes.
I use this Tampermonkey script.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Awesome thanks! I'm tweaking it a lot to play nice with SALR and just be more customised in general. My mostly lost knowledge of CSS is coming in handy!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the issue with threads scrolling out of whack after loading due to tweets being posted on the page a SALR issue or a forums issue? Either way, it sucks pretty bad when you click on a thread and have it load to the first new post only to have it sling all the way up because a bunch of tweets were linked. :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stare-Out posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the issue with threads scrolling out of whack after loading due to tweets being posted on the page a SALR issue or a forums issue? Either way, it sucks pretty bad when you click on a thread and have it load to the first new post only to have it sling all the way up because a bunch of tweets were linked. :(

Forums

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I just press "o" to get the page to jump to the proper post. Though it doesn't work when you make a post for some reason. Even weirder, it will after you make an edit.

Also, it doesn't work for some people at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just press "o" to get the page to jump to the proper post. Though it doesn't work when you make a post for some reason. Even weirder, it will after you make an edit.

Also, it doesn't work for some people at all.

I tried pressing "o" on my MBP with Chrome/SALR and nothing happened. Is it supposed to jump to the last read post or something? It's also possible I don't have some setting enabled - I saved my SALR settings in a JSON forever ago and I've just been restoring that same JSON every time I need to without actually looking at options.