Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

knowing where the anime seasons of a show end in relation to the manga is really useful stuff

though theres also value in reading through "stuff you've already seen" for the differences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I enjoy the implication that Toshinori was basically the Korra of One for All holders. Got the physical stuff down immediately and never bothered, or needed, to dive any deeper than that. Ghosts peeked in, went 'he's fine' and dipped.

---

Unrelated note further refining thoughts on Dabi and Endeavor:
I continue to not think he's Endeavor's son. It would necessitate either Endeavor being too dense to recognize a description of someone he's familiar with. Endeavor, who remembered the one time the wife with whom he had a loveless marriage for the sake of reproduction told him she liked a particular flower. Or for the Number One hero to never have been shown a photo or given details about one of the most wanted villains in the country.

As far as we've seen, Dabi has a fairly unique fire quirk. If nothing else, hearing about that should have clued Endeavor in.

On the subject of Endeavor's oldest: Quirkless or a non-obvious quirk like being entirely (heat/fire)proof.

And on that subject: I am guessing that Dabi's motivations haven't been changed from his introduction. He's following Stain's example. It's personal due to the nature Todoroki family's powers. And if Touya comes into play at all it's as a last minute save at some point down the line, or as the source of Dabi's seemingly immolation-proof skin grafts.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Onmi posted:

Counter point. all Might took to OFA very easily. His body could handle it without issue and beyond experience he never needed to develop the quirk. It's possible that because of being a natural genius for it that All Might simply couldn't unlock more than the surface level super strength. I do think deku having a secret quirk or the doctor having stolen his quirk would undermine the story. But I think expanding the scope of OFA with deku is fair game to making him the world's greatest hero

I think it's probably less that All Might didn't unlock the whole power, more that he just never fully used the power. A big part of Midoryia's character is that he over analyzes the poo poo out of everything having to do with quirks, and his primary growth in the use of OfA has been by dropping his preconceived ideas of how to use it.

If it has uses other than Superman level strength, Deku is more likely to figure those out because he can't use that full strength than the guy who was leaping tall buildings in a single bound on minute 3 of having it.

If OfA has more uses that simple super strength, the analogy is likely less a whole tool box of different tools than it is a box of different hammers. You can just slam the poo poo out of a nail with any hammer, but if you're having trouble with the nail it's probably going to be more useful to use a claw hammer than a straight pein.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

BioThermo posted:

Speaking of whom, the 4th popularity poll is open as of last week. Are we going to see Shinso once again break the top ten despite existing for a single panel during the gentle arc during the last 50 chapters?

Hopefully yes, or at least we see more of the guy. The way his powers line up against Shigaraki has potential.

Considering Shinso has The Most Boring Quirk, I'm curious as to what potential you see here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He wants to be a hero but has a villainous quirk. It's not his quirk that's interesting, it's his character.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Even as a villain, it'd be a boring quirk, because all it amounts to is "Shinso's opponent can't talk or they instantly lose."

I want you to imagine any of Midoriya's fights, but his opponent loses immediately if they say anything to him. Shinso's quirk is super boring and so is he.

EDIT: I mean, he'd make an EXCELLENT hero, but not one that'd be in any way entertaining as a major character in a shonen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not really interested in seeing another Shinso fight, but I do want to see more of his story.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

shinso is a good early look at someone who current quirk society has failed, having to deal with unfair prejudices for something entirely out of his control

i dunno if there's much more to mine from that than what his first appearance already showed off, though

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

There's something going on with Shinso, he has had enough background appearances that I bet he'll make a reappearance in the plot either when the classes shuffle in second year or in the tournament.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Put Shinso in class B so he can achieve his dream of being a hero, but you still have a good excuse for not having him around to instantly win fights.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Put Shinso in class B so he can achieve his dream of being a hero, but you still have a good excuse for not having him around to instantly win fights.

And to make room, move Monoma into class A so he eats every word he's ever said.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
A class mix up at the start of second year would be the best. Throws some background goobers into the foreground and lets you write off some of class A's riff raff like Sugar Man.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shinso would be a really good hunter x hunter character with his power

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just had a crazy thought: what if All For One was an inheritor of One For All too? Imagine that OFA's original bearer (actually #0) accidentally gave it to AFO (he even has a one in his "name") from their fight, and because his brother's ghost kept bugging him about doing the right thing AFO just gives it to anyone else to make the ghost go away.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just had a crazy thought: what if All For One was an inheritor of One For All too? Imagine that OFA's original bearer (actually #0) accidentally gave it to AFO (he even has a one in his "name") from their fight, and because his brother's ghost kept bugging him about doing the right thing AFO just gives it to anyone else to make the ghost go away.

that makes very little sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds like another one of those theories that only exists for the sake of adding a twist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mraagvpeine posted:

This wouldn't be a very good twist for the sole reason that I'm not even sure I understand you explaining it to me.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

And I thought my theories were stupid

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What if quirks are actually self-replicating nanomachines?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

deku stabs all might to power him up

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Shinsou is one of those characters whose Quirk Horikoshi probably regrets, because the Quirk's weakness is what makes it not broken, but if the weakness is invoked, they're useless. So, they're really hard to use in a story.

Kaminari's Quirk is also in this category.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
So dose Deku have fire powers

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
although since OFA is a power that can't be stolen would people who can copy quirks be able to copy it?

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

although since OFA is a power that can't be stolen would people who can copy quirks be able to copy it?

No

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

And to make room, move Monoma into class A so he eats every word he's ever said.

if Monoma ever wound up in Class A i'm pretty sure his head would literally cave in

of its own accord, i mean, before someone else did it for him

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Elfgames posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but then I imagine copying it would be a horrible idea considering an untrained person could explode their own arms with it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RatHat posted:

*AfO does that "make my arm a big fuckin' freakshow" thing*

"NANOMACHINES, SON!"

I want to see Monoma try to copy One For All and then be very very confused.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Monoma has probably paid enough attention to class 1A generally and Deku particularly to know why trying to copy Deku's Quirk would be potentially lethal for him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you only need to see deku break his arm once to know copying his power would be a bad idea

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Mraagvpeine posted:

I know people have said 'no' to this but I'll explain why it can't be the case: One For All didn't exist until All For One gave his brother a quirk that could stockpile power, which combined with his brother's until-then unknown quirk of being able to transfer his quirk to other people.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Monoma copies One For All.

His arms immediately explode.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Shinsou is one of those characters whose Quirk Horikoshi probably regrets, because the Quirk's weakness is what makes it not broken, but if the weakness is invoked, they're useless. So, they're really hard to use in a story.

Kaminari's Quirk is also in this category.

if he actually regretted shinsou's quirk he wouldn't have dropped panels two or three times reminding us "hey this guy exists" in a clear foreshadowing "he's going to come up again" way

also have no idea why you think he regrets kaminari? he's useful as a character who can be either an asset in a fight, someone who can put out one hard punch, or a liability/hostage once he turns stupid. he's versatile

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

you only need to see deku break his arm once to know copying his power would be a bad idea

On the other hand, Monoma isn't exactly "all there" upstairs, so...

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 5, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Stexils posted:

if he actually regretted shinsou's quirk he wouldn't have dropped panels two or three times reminding us "hey this guy exists" in a clear foreshadowing "he's going to come up again" way

also have no idea why you think he regrets kaminari? he's useful as a character who can be either an asset in a fight, someone who can put out one hard punch, or a liability/hostage once he turns stupid. he's versatile

And Kaminari can do a lot more with his new gear too. In a way Kaminari's development is a bit like Deku's. He has a power that's already awesome and powerful and its not so much that he needs to make his power stronger as find ways to mitigate the downsides.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm realizing that I can't identify most of the characters by their names, just how they look

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds like another one of those theories that only exists for the sake of adding a twist.

On the bright side it's not the "the singularity is about time travel and the shadowed OfA users are literally Bakugo and Kirishima" theory that I've seen being talked about in twitter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gmq posted:

On the bright side it's not the "the singularity is about time travel and the shadowed OfA users are literally Bakugo and Kirishima" theory that I've seen being talked about in twitter.

oh god

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe we've still got to weeks to go

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gmq posted:

i think you found a homestuck fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

symbolic posted:

I would love it if Monoma got transferred to class A and immediately pulled a 180 and started acting all buddy buddy with them while making GBS threads all over those jerks in class B.