Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I figured they wanted a new voice for him to match the new characterization. The only ones who retained their old voice also retained their old characteristics, seems like.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does the new Don Karnage voice have a history in musical theatre?

He's done a bunch of mexican theater.

Wikipedia posted:

Camil has often said that his favorite venue is the stage. In 2005, he played Nestor Castillo in the Broadway-bound musical The Mambo Kings. Later in 2005 he performed in Latinologues on Broadway. His work in Mexican theater includes the role of Bernardo in a revival of West Side Story (2004), for which he won the Palmas de Oro award for Best Supporting Actor in a Musical. In 2007 he played the lead, Father Silvestre, in El diluvio que viene, which won the APT and ACPT awards for Best Actor in a Musical. He has played colorful characters such as Captain Hook in the musical Peter Pan (2007), and the Genie in the musical Aladdin (2008). In the summer of 2016, Jaime starred as Billy Flynn in the musical Chicago on Broadway in the Ambassador Theater. Camil played Flynn in an extended run from May 31 to July 31, 2016.

e: also Launchpad's right. That song IS stuck in my head.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nine-gear crow posted:

So between Mark Beaks, Black Heron, and Don Karnage, this means now that three of the four kids have personal antagonists to square off against down the road. I wonder who Louie's is going to be?

Black Heron is dead. Like, super, super dead.

That was a surprisingly brutal death scene for a kid's show, even.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
No body = No death

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Senerio posted:

No body = No death

We saw some of her body, and to me that read as a pretty clear shorthand for "she died horribly."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mark Beaks strikes me as more of a Scrooge enemy in general rather than a rival for Huey, he's been in episodes without Huey. Maybe also a Gizmoduck enemy.

Depending on how things go (likely badly) Lena might end up as a particular enemy for Webby.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
We saw her cybernetic arm. She's out there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Phylodox posted:

Don Karnage is now played by Rogelio from Jane the Virgin and that’s amazing.

I didn't even pick up on that, but yes, that's amazing, because he owns.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Strong episode, I though Karnage maybe looked too barrel chested and friendly but he turned out great. Still think he should look a bit more wiry and mangy. I think I'd like him to lose the hat too, he might have only had it as a device for the episode. Yes-no?

Launchpad continues to be amazing. Webby getting a character moment out of nowhere was neat too. And I like how Scrooge could recognise Karnage as a Plant Scientist but not Huey with blue stuff on him. I hope they do a bit where a triplet tries a new shirt and another complains they each agreed to pick a colour and stick with it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bbf2 posted:

I think the reason Karnage was voiced by someone different is because these creators are very careful to avoid white actors voicing characters that sound like they could be a POC ethnicity (even though the "ethnicity"/accent of Karnage was always indeterminate, he seemed coded as Latino/Central American). Angones was asked on social media about the current Three Caballeros cartoon and said that he enjoys the voice actors on that show but if/when the other caballeros appear on Ducktales17 they would definitely be voiced by an actor from the country they're supposed to represent.

Or maybe Cummings was busy doing postproduction VO work for "Christopher Robin"

For some reason Disney's been extremely lax on this in recent years and we're all the better for it

Frank Argones was explicit about this on his tumblr:

quote:

Q:So how come you guys could get Jim Cummings to reprise his role as Darkwing Duck and NOT Don Karnage?

A:Because we are a globetrotting show, our casting ethos on DuckTales has traditionally been whenever we encounter someone of a different nationality, we try to cast someone who is actually of that nationality (see Toad Liu Hai, Sabaf from Toth-Ra, etc.)

Jim is a drat legend. I hopefully don’t have to point out by now how much I love Jim and his repertoire of characters. He’s incredible in everything he does and you will be seeing A LOT more of him from us in the future. But for this particular role, it seemed like an opportunity to bring a new actor in to play. And if you’ve seen Jaime in anything, you know he is a delight, bringing his own lovable brand of egomaniacal machismo to the role.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a common theme with death in modern cartoons is that you can say it, or you can do it, but not both at the same time.

Counterpoint (Star vs. Season 3 spoilers)

Cartoons these days are brutal and it's great

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is kickin' rad.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/TadStones/status/1023770164834136064?s=19

Now that is a deep cut

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They even did it on the Greek myth episode too!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint (Star vs. Season 3 spoilers)

Cartoons these days are brutal and it's great

Ludo is stone cold. I do like his portrayal as a villain; he's incompetent and immature, sure, but also insanely determined and dangerously ruthless. And getting more and more competent.

And that makes sense. I think a common theme with a lot of modern cartoons and DuckTales in particular is making up for the pitfalls of their 80s predecessors, including among other things relatively flat characterisation, annoying stereotypical side characters and casual racism, by actually putting effort into things that were previously rather thoughtless. Making characters three-dimensional and fleshed out, putting in the effort to cast people from the culture their character is from whenever possible and in general doing the research, and adding diversity while avoiding tokenism by giving characters rounded personalities and traits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Speaking of casual racism mind, a youtuber brought up that Mark Beaks is pretty casually racist to Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera, calling him 'chico' and all. Fits in pretty well with the whole tech bro thing he has going on.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So, the Spear of Selene definitely looked like a spaceship on that page, right?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

So, the Spear of Selene definitely looked like a spaceship on that page, right?

Yes, very much so.

Either that, or a Stand Arrow.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Does any character in that universe actually die of old age? So far we have four decks who are effectively immortal. We don't know much about DeSpell yet, so maybe five.
But there were the ghosts of the McDuck ancestors in this episode, so presumably death does exist.

I kinda wonder if they'll also explore what happened to the dad of the triplets. They never even mention him. He might have died at a really early age. Alternatively he's just some deadbeat who buggered of when he realized he'd have to care for three children.
Of course, the show doesn't mention him because the source material doesn't either, but it seems kinda weird that they want to know everything about their mother, but don't show the slightest bit of interest in their dad.
Or maybe it's just such a total nonstory that there's nothing to say and they worked through it already.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
IIRC the only explanation in the comics is that back in the 40s or something a firework exploded under his lawnchair and it sent him to the hospital. The triplets' mother was unable to cope and sent them to Donald.

Otherwise the dad just...isn't in the picture. Even his face on the family tree is obscured. It's the stuff fanfic is made of.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Louie's been told that Scrooge's parents are accidentally Immortal, yet /still/ introduces himself as the "future owner of this castle."

That's cold, dude.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Now where have I seen that Spear before?

Launchpad cosplaying was the bessstttt Especially the Donald ragefit

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, Louie getting real about Dewey lying to them was oddly moving, yo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Now where have I seen that Spear before?

Launchpad cosplaying was the bessstttt Especially the Donald ragefit

Duckburg is a Crazy, Noisy, Bizarre Town.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Launchpad imitating Donald was amazing.

I'm having trouble making sense of Scrooge's backstory and family now though. Scrooge grew up absolutely destitute to the point where his father believed the only thing he could pass onto his son was a 10 cent lesson in self reliance. Also they lived in an ancestral castle that was known to have a massive treasure in it. How do you grow up destitute in an ancestral castle that is known to have a massive treasure in it, especially when your father has at least some idea of how to locate said treasure?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm having trouble making sense of Scrooge's backstory and family now though. Scrooge grew up absolutely destitute to the point where his father believed the only thing he could pass onto his son was a 10 cent lesson in self reliance. Also they lived in an ancestral castle that was known to have a massive treasure in it. How do you grow up destitute in an ancestral castle that is known to have a massive treasure in it, especially when your father has at least some idea of how to locate said treasure?

Scrooge said that he rebuilt the castle, so I assume the timeline goes something like

McDuck clan has the castle for hundreds of years -> McDucks fall on hard times, castle falls into disrepair -> Some time between Dirty Dingus McDuck finding the Templar treasure and the birth of Scrooge, the family can no longer afford living expenses in the castle and has to move out (but still, I guess, technically owns the land, but can't sell it or do anything productive with it?) -> Scrooge gets rich, rebuilds the castle, accidentally grants his parents immortality.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Technowolf posted:

Duckburg is a Crazy, Noisy, Bizarre Town.

Motorbikes, lasers, aeroplanes... yep, that checks out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Pakled posted:

Scrooge said that he rebuilt the castle, so I assume the timeline goes something like

McDuck clan has the castle for hundreds of years -> McDucks fall on hard times, castle falls into disrepair -> Some time between Dirty Dingus McDuck finding the Templar treasure and the birth of Scrooge, the family can no longer afford living expenses in the castle and has to move out (but still, I guess, technically owns the land, but can't sell it or do anything productive with it?) -> Scrooge gets rich, rebuilds the castle, accidentally grants his parents immortality.

That still leaves the issue of Fergus choosing to raise his family destitute while knowing the location of the Templar treasure, or at least thinking he does. A major plot point of the episode was him refusing to tell Scrooge where it was, so he has to have had something to tell. At the end was the first time seeing that note. Why did he never try to find it before, you know, for all those years of being unable to feed his family?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck version of it, it's because they hadn't lived in the castle for centuries, and various misfortunes had both left the clan in poverty as well as diminishing their numbers till Scrooge was the only male member of his generation(which is why he's often pointed out as being the last of Clan McDuck multiple times throughout that comic)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And also in the comics, Castle McDuck was inaccessible to its rightful owners for years thanks to a Scooby-Doo hoax of the demon dog (which is real in this one) from neighbours trying to claim it/find the treasure for themselves. And the castle had probably fallen into disrepair at that point, Scrooge mentions that he had it rebuilt. (and his use of cut-price runestones resulted in it becoming a fog-shrouded place where time doesn't work right)

Launchpad imitating Donald was a bit of a funny meta joke given his role in old and new Ducktales is basically taking up the role Donald usually had in the comics. (as Scrooge's pilot/driver/all-round errand boy for very low pay)

Also, Scrooge's baby photos/portraits are adorable. Interestingly, he looks a lot like Huey in his younger portraits (red coat and hat) but the one of his adolescence looks more like Louie. (Heavier green coat)

Whiskers is the best character.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why didn't they bring Donald anyway? What's he up to? That's one of the weirdest changes, since he sort of hangs around, but doesn't really bother to do anything. I loved how he frantically tried to protect the boys in the pilot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The boys specifically mentioned that Scrooge snuck out with the kids to avoid Donald at the beginning. Probably he feels he can only deal with so much family at a time, and him and Donald's relationship looks to be still very frosty. And the episode was busy focusing on Scrooge and his father's frosty relationship.

Funny that they've kept up the original timeline by flat out having the McDuck-Duck clan extremely prone to getting stuck in time vortexes and such.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 5, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like one of the reason the McDuck's were even poorer in childhood was because Fergus had to keep paying taxes to keep the castle, even though they did not live there anymore (Until he simply could not afford to anymore and lost ownership.) However Scrooge after he became Rich bought the castle back.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Usually Scrooge's sister Matilda is the one taking care of the castle. Wonder if she's still kicking around.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Am I incredibly dense, or was the musical clue completely absent from the note?

EDIT: Other than that, another great episode.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if we saw the note itself, but the clue was some of the letters being capitalized.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dirty Dingus McDuck.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dirty Dingus McDuck.

Yeah he has been a thing for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's all the kids giggling that makes it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Have episodes aired out of order again?

When Dewey is explaining all the things he's done solo to research their mother, I swear he mentions that he crashed the Sunchaser, except....... that's next week's episode? Isn't it?

Did I miss an episode somewhere?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Sunchaser is the name of their plane. He's referring to the episode "The Spear of Selene"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That makes significantly more sense then!