Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

WilliamAnderson posted:

Why are the widescreen versions of Sonic 1&2 not on Steam/console yet? Sega what the gently caress are you doing.

I'm pretty sure we will never get them purely because of the whole "Genesis Classics" emulator and rom combo existing on Steam already.
Much as I REALLY wish this would happen and think it's silly that it probably won't.
It's the same reason that Sonic 1 isn't in the PC version of Generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Saralene posted:

I'm pretty sure we will never get them purely because of the whole "Genesis Classics" emulator and rom combo existing on Steam already.
Much as I REALLY wish this would happen and think it's silly that it probably won't.
It's the same reason that Sonic 1 isn't in the PC version of Generations.

But that emulator blows chunks. =/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Isn’t there a new Genesis collection coming that has M2 doing the emulation? They do fantastic work but their Sonic/Sonic 2 still isn’t as good as the Christian Whitehead versions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Isn’t there a new Genesis collection coming that has M2 doing the emulation?

AGES isn't a MD collection (It's Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Phantasy Star 1, Sonic 1, Thunder Force IV and arcade Gain Ground), but yes.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

WilliamAnderson posted:

But that emulator blows chunks. =/

It really does! But it's almost certainly why we will never get those ports on PC. Sucks, but what can you do, right?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Use an android emulator.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Use an android emulator.

Every single one of those suck and do poo poo like dropping inputs.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Augus posted:

The final boss of Freedom Planet follows a pretty simple pattern that’s not hard to learn?

He didn't at first, though, that was changed in a patch (and I'm unsure if he has a pattern on hard) but yeah, currently he's not an issue

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Here's a question for you guys: Let's say Sega is stupid and Sonic Mania ends up being the last 2d Sonic game ever made by a competent team. (And to be clear, Mania's team is outstanding, just saying)

How would you feel about that? That feeling struck me while I was goofing around in encore mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If that hypothetical tradeoff means good 3D games, 2D can gently caress right off. I like the 2D games but there are enough good ones and I don't realistically expect them to ever get much better.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If a bad team makes more 2D games, I'd probably still check them out eventually for the new levels. Especially if they're just $20 or whatever. Even if they're just kinda average I'd be okay with it at that price. 2D at least means it will be mostly a Sonic game, and not Sonic with some weird gimmick I probably don't care much about. And the levels in 2D will likely be longer / more levels, because they don't have to build actual large 3D model assets for stages, and so on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hrist posted:

2D at least means it will be mostly a Sonic game, and not Sonic with some weird gimmick I probably don't care much about.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd unironically appreciate the Chaotix energy tether system in Mania, if only for something else to mess around with on occasion.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If that hypothetical tradeoff means good 3D games, 2D can gently caress right off. I like the 2D games but there are enough good ones and I don't realistically expect them to ever get much better.

The last good 3D Sonic was Generations. Sega can't make good Sonic games anymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Goons, is there a secret to getting two player co-op working on Switch? My sister is trying but apparently the second controller isn't doing anything.

[edit] Never mind, they figured it out.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 4, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Am I the only person who likes Colors more than Generations?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

azurite posted:

Yes. Literally the only person on the entire planet. Nobody else has ever had this opinion

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, I do too; it's just a really well rounded game, and it is criminal that they haven't re-released it in HD. I may have to install Dolphin, because I have a 4K TV that is crying out for some Colours.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiderdrake posted:

Here's a question for you guys: Let's say Sega is stupid and Sonic Mania ends up being the last 2d Sonic game ever made by a competent team. (And to be clear, Mania's team is outstanding, just saying)

How would you feel about that? That feeling struck me while I was goofing around in encore mode.

I’d be okay with it. I love Mania and all but I’m not sure if I even want another one since Mania did its job perfectly and nailed it. I’d rather have a not poo poo 3D game next.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

azurite posted:

I think Colors is really solid, it's just that it wasn't multi-platform so a lot fewer people played it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think Colors is really solid, it's just that it wasn't multi-platform so a lot fewer people played it.

You're definitely right, but also everyone on Earth has a Wii

Seriously, go open up your closet. I bet there's one in there

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'll be really disappointed if the Mania team doesn't get at least one crack at a fully original game where they get to let their creativity fly without any of the constraints a presumably small budget or the tribute game concept imposed. Framing it as an either/or with good 3D games is also really weird to me? Ceasing collaboration with Whitehead and co. won't make Sonic Team any more competent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The entire question is predicated on the notion that Iizuka and Sonic Team are cackling supervillains out to destroy an effort that, by every indication and word from both Sonic Team themselves and the majority of Mania’s own dev team, they did everything in their power to support.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I haven't thrown down the cash to buy a 32X just to play Chaotix, and probably nothing else. But when I do, I will come back to defend it. Maybe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You'll beat it in one sitting and immediately forget everything about it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It has some okay music that you will immediately get tired of because each of the 5 levels(with 5 acts each) only has one track.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Chaotix is a great way to get to know your friends better...a real bonding experience when you play co-op.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Nodosaur posted:

The entire question is predicated on the notion that Iizuka and Sonic Team are cackling supervillains out to destroy an effort that, by every indication and word from both Sonic Team themselves and the majority of Mania’s own dev team, they did everything in their power to support.

Never underestimate Sega of Japan’s ability to gently caress everything up. Somewhere, someone is butthurt and feeling threatened that Mania did well despite not being developed in Glorious Nippon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pastamania posted:

Never underestimate Sega of Japan’s ability to gently caress everything up. Somewhere, someone is butthurt and feeling threatened that Mania did well despite not being developed in Glorious Nippon.

you're an idiot

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I'm sure they're happy with money.

Although to be totally fair it wouldn't be Sega if someone wasn't butthurt somewhere. They're basically Microsoft from this old org chart set, except with way more guns.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 5, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

4 years from now we will get Sonic mania forces and somehow it will be less than the previous game in the series

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pastamania posted:

No.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what's new on the sonic front

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kurtofan posted:

what's new on the sonic front

The movie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If that hypothetical tradeoff means good 3D games,

lol never gonna happen

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pastamania posted:

People are determined to believe that Sega is upset that Sonic Mania did well, probably because the idea of this glorious game created by fans is thumbing the nose in the direction of the dastardly, out of touch Sega. But ya know, it would be good it that had some basis in reality and not your diseased brain. Unfortunately it seems to be a very common disease, usually spread by people who like to think of Izuka as the devil destroying Sonic and literally crap themselves imagining the man in an incessant state of fury that a project that he helped get greenlit at Sega and had Sonic Team contribute to the development of was successful and made money.

I dunno if it's good old racism, or just plain old stupidity but it would be nice if, for once, when someone vomited out garbage like this, they actually have a modicum of basis in reality.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The sonic franchise needs like a breathe of the wild style kick in the rear end at this point.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Remember that time Yugi Naka threatened to quit if Sonic Extreme continued development using the Nights engine?

This stuff isn't without president, however I haven't seen any real evidence that Sega Japan are 'resentful' of Mania's success. Sega also have plenty of other ways of loving up or failing to capitalize on success that aren't the result oftensions between the American and Japanese branches ofthe company.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
considering it was the idea of people at sega japan and also they literally worked on it with the americans i feel like claiming they might hate it is the stupidest loving argument possible

actually, since it is the first sonic game in like a decade to come in on time and on budget they probably love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd really just like to see Sega farm out a regular 3D Sonic game to a third party. Let someone else have a stab at an Adventure style game, not just spinoff titles or handheld games.