Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That room is beige-on-beige-on-beige with dorm room furniture from Target. Try burning your house down and building a less depressing one with the insurance money.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

KillHour posted:

That room is beige-on-beige-on-beige with dorm room furniture from Target. Try burning your house down and building a less depressing one with the insurance money.

Both equally dickish and weird considering how cheap and lovely your own setups you keep posting look :shrug:

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 3, 2018

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Don't listen to those two. Put some dim led rope or strip lights around the perimeter of the room on the floor. Mount the speakers either side of the TV and move the computer to the floor on the left hand side of the entertainment unit.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Also get some of these to turn everything on and off so you can just walk into the room and kick stuff then flop onto the couch or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Woo-3273-Foot-Switch-on-off/dp/B003A09NBY

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the lack of contrast isn’t great but my main focus would be not having a giant ugly computer be the center focus of the room.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It got me to look up the price of a 82 inch set..not as a terrible as I thought it would be.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Hang some heavy curtains in a dark colour on the side walls to give that theatre appearance at the same time as diffusing first sound reflections.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Thanks, looking into all of that now.

It probably would've helped if I'd said we and the wife have 5 bedrooms empty now that all the kids are gone, so I had to claim this room quickly before she made it into her second room for nothing but sewing :argh:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Hold The Ashes posted:

nothing but sewing :argh:

Curtains sorted then :v:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hold The Ashes posted:

Thanks, looking into all of that now.

It probably would've helped if I'd said we and the wife have 5 bedrooms empty now that all the kids are gone, so I had to claim this room quickly before she made it into her second room for nothing but sewing :argh:

My condolences to the loss of your children. As for the room, put the htpc down beside the furniture. At first I thought you were running a subwoofer as a center channel. The house I purchased was brown on beige on brown and I've changed it all out to matte grey walls, driftwood grey floor and white trim. And the theater room which hasnt been painted yet will be the same with a dark grey feature wall.

I've also ditched the projector for a tv screen with a closer seating distance.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Animale posted:

Speakers are Dynaudio Emit M10s and the center is the corresponding center. The tv is 32", old and from like 2008, I need to update but I don't have space for something too huge. In the cabinet I have a Denon x4200, an xbone, wii, PS2, and PS3 and my sub which is a Waterfall Highforce 1. The record player is a Rega RP1 w/ perf pack that I got for nothing when Insound went under. All Art is by James Jean. Booze is all stuff people have left behind.

I did a little updating. The biggest thing is I changed out the TV to a Sony 940e and got a PS4 Pro and a Switch. I need to do something to place the center above the TV at some point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Animale posted:

I did a little updating. The biggest thing is I changed out the TV to a Sony 940e and got a PS4 Pro and a Switch. I need to do something to place the center above the TV at some point.

Very nice. No idea what your best option could be for the center channel. I feel like putting it on a tiny shelf in the middle of a wall always looks really pants. Putting it on a full-sized shelf with books/etc might be your best option, if it’s not too huge.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Phantom centre.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm going to frame out a faux-stone thing in front of this ugly old fireplace for a home theater. Can I get some comments?

The bottom thing is a 26" electric insert. My actual firebox is big enough to accommodate a 32" insert, but I feel like going a little smaller gives some breathing room for my center channel speaker, an Andrew Jones hanging off the TV on a VESA shelf. I'd considered putting the speaker above the TV, but then the TV is closer to a heat source.

TV outlines up top are roughly showing 60" or 65" but I can't decide is 65" is a too big for the space.

The plan is it find a little receiver cabinet to put in front of those two low-volt rings The walls already contain 2xHDMI, TOS, antenna, 3xEthernet, 5.1 and ceiling speaker cable for Atmos maybe later. (IF I can figure out how to arrange all of those things in 2x12-space keystone plates since side-by-side clearance is an issue in 12-slot plates.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
How often will you actually use that electric fireplace? I'm assuming you don't need it for heat since you're considering electric.

Unlike someone who just bought a finished house where the fireplace happens to be prominently/inconveniently placed, you seem to still have the option to just skip it. I'd just put the TV down where it ought to be, at eye height. As it is, whatever you do about the center speaker, your TV is going to be mounted too high for comfortable viewing.

I've never quite understood the need some (American?) builders seem to have, to place the fireplace in the exact spot where any family after 1958 would want to place their TV.

There seems to be plenty of space to the left to put an actual wood burning stove/fireplace if that's something you really want, but you might need to spend a bit on getting the chimney up to code and connecting a stovepipe in from the side.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Drolet-1000-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove/1000107149

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 30, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Couple things: the basement is well-insulated, but has no heating or cooling. (We redirected all of the basement ducting to the vaulted room above where more service was desperately needed)

As a result, its a perfect 73 down there all summer, but low/mid-60s in the winter, so a 5000BTU electric unit sounds like a great cheap way to take the chill out as needed. Plus, I’ve already got a hole in the wall. Seems worth using rather than losing floor to a stove.

Second, the room is very short, just barely 7ft, so I don’t think the TV is really as high as it looks in that picture. Center would be maybe 60”

I don’t think that’s quite miserable front-row height, but I didn’t realize the aim was supposed to be for eye-level.

I suppose if I chisel out the bottom row of white fire bricks, I could move the electric insert down a few inches. That, plus moving the center channel speaker to the top could bring the tv center down to maybe 45” (as long as heat on the screen doesn’t become an issue.)

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
I have a future AV set-up in the works. We have a partially finished basement and are considering turning one of the unfinished rooms into a theater. I've budgeted for the remodel but haven't started talking to any contractors yet. We initially were thinking it'd be a fun long-term DIY project but seeing as how we don't have any experience in framing, drywalling, etc and that we want it to actually not look like garbage, we decided to leave some of that up to professionals. So, I'm hoping to get some advice;

Pic from what will likely be the back of the room.

Pic from the front looking back. To the left is the finished portion of the basement. To the right is an unfinished room we are using for storage. That white pipe is for the radon mitigation system.

Yes, it is currently dingy and gross. The stuff on the walls was there when we bought it. The rough room dimensions are 21' x 11.5' with a ceiling that is 7'10" tall.

I've never built a theater but here are some ideas:

-We probably need to frame it. There's piping for our radon mitigation system in the back so we'd need to figure out a way to frame around it but keep it accessible I guess? What kind of stuff is reasonable to keep the rattling down and insulate the sound? I want it to be decent and don't want to sound like a dumbass talking to the contractor. I've read putting rock wool or some other kind of insulation behind the drywall is a good idea.

-The ceiling. The ceiling isn't very tall so we can't really do a drop ceiling. I'm guessing we just do a standard ceiling or small drop and stuff some sort of insulation up there?

-Wiring and lights. Currently there are no outlets, so we'll have to get an electrician to add some. We'd also add an outlet on the ceiling to plug the projector in. We would get rid of those two fluorescent lights and maybe do dimmable rope lights in crown moulding? Maybe wall sconces?

-Equipment - Obviously need a projector, screen, and speakers. I'll worry about those specifics later. I'm thinking freestanding speakers.
In-wall looks better but seem like a pain and I'm guessing not as functional. Would anything higher than 5.1 be worth it? I'm thinking I'll put the equipment rack in an adjacent unfinished room to free up space and decrease heat in the room.

-Ventilation - There are a couple vents in the nearby finished part of the basement, but none in this unfinished room. It stays cool year-round, maybe chilly in the winter but that's what blankets are for. I was planning on leaving it without vents unless the heat from a single projector would somehow cause the temperature to rise to unpleasant levels.

-Seating - A couple rows of comfy seats, probably build a riser for the back row.

So, that's where I'm at so far. Any opinions or suggestions? Does anyone that has already been through the process of building a theater have any pearls of wisdom or warnings of potential pitfalls?

Rinaldi fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2018

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Rinaldi posted:

I have a future AV set-up in the works. We have a partially finished basement and are considering turning one of the unfinished rooms into a theater. I've budgeted for the remodel but haven't started talking to any contractors yet. We initially were thinking it'd be a fun long-term DIY project but seeing as how we don't have any experience in framing, drywalling, etc and that we want it to actually not look like garbage, we decided to leave some of that up to professionals. So, I'm hoping to get some advice;

Pic from the front looking back. To the left is the finished portion of the basement. To the right is an unfinished room we are using for storage. That white pipe is for the radon mitigation system.

Yes, it is currently dingy and gross. The stuff on the walls was there when we bought it. The rough room dimensions are 21' x 11.5' with a ceiling that is 7'10" tall.

-We probably need to frame it. There's piping for our radon mitigation system in the back so we'd need to figure out a way to frame around it but keep it accessible I guess? What kind of stuff is reasonable to keep the rattling down and insulate the sound? I want it to be decent and don't want to sound like a dumbass talking to the contractor. I've read putting rock wool or some other kind of insulation behind the drywall is a good idea.

-The ceiling. The ceiling isn't very tall so we can't really do a drop ceiling. I'm guessing we just do a standard ceiling or small drop and stuff some sort of insulation up there?

-Wiring and lights. Currently there are no outlets, so we'll have to get an electrician to add some. We'd also add an outlet on the ceiling to plug the projector in. We would get rid of those two fluorescent lights and maybe do dimmable rope lights in crown moulding? Maybe wall sconces?

-Equipment - Obviously need a projector, screen, and speakers. I'll worry about those specifics later. I'm thinking freestanding speakers.
In-wall looks better but seem like a pain and I'm guessing not as functional. Would anything higher than 5.1 be worth it? I'm thinking I'll put the equipment rack in an adjacent unfinished room to free up space and decrease heat in the room.

-Ventilation - There are a couple vents in the nearby finished part of the basement, but none in this unfinished room. It stays cool year-round, maybe chilly in the winter but that's what blankets are for. I was planning on leaving it without vents unless the heat from a single projector would somehow cause the temperature to rise to unpleasant levels.

So, that's where I'm at so far. Any opinions or suggestions? Does anyone that has already been through the process of building a theater have any pearls of wisdom or warnings of potential pitfalls?

Honestly, I don't think you need to frame that at all. For a proper theater, you'd hang heavy black theater drapes all around the room. Not only will this dampen the sound but it will making hiding the cables and everything stupidly easy. Of course it will also cover up the existing walls and make it look like a theater.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

n.. posted:

Honestly, I don't think you need to frame that at all. For a proper theater, you'd hang heavy black theater drapes all around the room. Not only will this dampen the sound but it will making hiding the cables and everything stupidly easy. Of course it will also cover up the existing walls and make it look like a theater.

Skipping that step would certainly turn the whole thing into something we could do ourselves (aside from the electrical work), so that is appealing. Acoustic panels and heavy drapes on the walls, fix the lighting and outlets, mount the projector on the existing ceiling, replace the carpet and add some comfy seats.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You also might want to check out some of the threads in DIY like Fix it Fast and Interior Design.

Is there a bathroom close to that room? That's would be like my biggest concern as I now have the bladder of a 60 year old.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008

The Dave posted:

You also might want to check out some of the threads in DIY like Fix it Fast and Interior Design.

Is there a bathroom close to that room? That's would be like my biggest concern as I now have the bladder of a 60 year old.

I've never actually checked out that forum so I'll take a look. We recently added a half bath to the nearby finished portion of the basement, thankfully. When we moved in a year ago there was no bathroom in the basement so that was our first priority.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

eddiewalker posted:

Couple things: the basement is well-insulated, but has no heating or cooling. (We redirected all of the basement ducting to the vaulted room above where more service was desperately needed)

As a result, its a perfect 73 down there all summer, but low/mid-60s in the winter, so a 5000BTU electric unit sounds like a great cheap way to take the chill out as needed. Plus, I’ve already got a hole in the wall. Seems worth using rather than losing floor to a stove.

Second, the room is very short, just barely 7ft, so I don’t think the TV is really as high as it looks in that picture. Center would be maybe 60”

I don’t think that’s quite miserable front-row height, but I didn’t realize the aim was supposed to be for eye-level.

I suppose if I chisel out the bottom row of white fire bricks, I could move the electric insert down a few inches. That, plus moving the center channel speaker to the top could bring the tv center down to maybe 45” (as long as heat on the screen doesn’t become an issue.)

Get a projector and just leave it on all winter. If that's not enough add a Plex server.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

n.. posted:

This is an excellent idea. You're probably going to end up with some exposed concrete block here and there (below the screen, above the doors, etc) but who gives a poo poo. Throw some paint on it and it'll look fine IMO.

You'll also save ~6" or so on either side and 11.5' wide isn't a huge amount of width to work with in terms of screen size and speakers so every inch counts IMO. You're going to end up with speakers in the corners which is never ideal but some good, heavy drapes (which will not be cheap) will help with sound reflection.

The ceiling is concrete or something? You can afford to lose 6" or so there but not sure how drywalling the ceiling but not the walls will look. Rope lights in a crown molding (above the drapes) is a good idea and for the ceiling they make glue/stick on ceiling tiles though I've never used them so I don't know what they're like.

You could do all that poo poo yourself (sans electrical work) and see how you like it and if you don't then you go from there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hold The Ashes posted:

Both equally dickish and weird considering how cheap and lovely your own setups you keep posting look :shrug:

Goons crying about interior decorator poo poo in rooms that will ideally always be used in 100% darkness, in threads/forums that are about the gadgets and not the decor, will never not be funny to me.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Something like this is the closest I could find to what I had in mind from a quick google search.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 5, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You could replace that big sub with a lectern to change the look of that room without really changing the look.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rinaldi posted:

-Seating - A couple rows of comfy seats, probably build a riser for the back row.

Everyone has given pretty good advice so far (I guess). The one benefit to framing and drywall is that you can use in-wall speakers instead of box speakers- which aren’t much of a compromise for theater applications- maybe for hi-fi but it doesn’t sound like you plan on retreating to a windowless cave to spin vinyl or do reference listening or whatever. Some solid in-wall JBLs will be more than great. Plus instead of sticking box speakers in the corners/edges of your screen or up high on your walls, you can put them at ear level around the perimeter of the room without sacrificing space or mobility. Lastly, in-wall speakers in the front would allow you to put your fronts and center channel directly behind an acoustically neutral screen, which could then take up the entire wall. The sub would still be a standalone unit, but that can be tucked into a corner (or you can go with two smaller subs in the spaces where freestanding speakers would otherwise be).

Given the space, I wouldn’t use anything more than 5.1/5.2 myself with box speakers. Going in-wall and in-ceiling would definitely allow you to do a 7.1/7.2/9.1/atmos/etc without it looking cluttered or becoming a potential crash hazard in a dark room. In that case I’d paint the walls a dark matte color (doesn’t have to be black), put up sound deadening panels and maybe sconces in between the speakers, and forget the blackout drapes (unless you get an uncomfortable amount of light bleed from the doors, and in that case maybe putting a weather seal along the bottom edge might be easier and less expensive than putting drapes on the doors.

It’s debatable if going above 5.1/5.2 is really all that worth it, IMO you start to get into diminishing returns. On a given budget in a compact-to-medium room I’d rather get a nicer 5.1 setup than one with more speakers that are less nice. Same goes with atmos, TBH- especially if you buy a set of those hideous “atmos enabled” front speakers that purport to bounce sound off of your ceiling. Those are a waste of money, the only way to “properly” do atmos is by actually installing/mounting speakers in/on your ceiling. If you’re not interested in doing that, then 5.1/5.2 should be plenty.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for all the advice! At this point I like the idea of trying it without framing first and if we use it and like it and want it fancier, we can always do that later. Curtains will be expensive but far cheaper and less frustrating than getting a contractor here. We can get an electrician out to add outlets and probably do the rest ourselves.

veiled boner fuel posted:

This is an excellent idea. You're probably going to end up with some exposed concrete block here and there (below the screen, above the doors, etc) but who gives a poo poo. Throw some paint on it and it'll look fine IMO.

You'll also save ~6" or so on either side and 11.5' wide isn't a huge amount of width to work with in terms of screen size and speakers so every inch counts IMO. You're going to end up with speakers in the corners which is never ideal but some good, heavy drapes (which will not be cheap) will help with sound reflection.

The ceiling is concrete or something? You can afford to lose 6" or so there but not sure how drywalling the ceiling but not the walls will look. Rope lights in a crown molding (above the drapes) is a good idea and for the ceiling they make glue/stick on ceiling tiles though I've never used them so I don't know what they're like.

You could do all that poo poo yourself (sans electrical work) and see how you like it and if you don't then you go from there.

Yes, the ceiling is concrete (the room is below the garage). I'll look into stick-on panels and see what they're like.

I'm still not sure about the lighting. Rope in crown seems ideal but can I affix crown molding to a concrete wall? Would that look jank? I don't know of any other good lighting solutions.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rinaldi posted:

Thanks for all the advice! At this point I like the idea of trying it without framing first and if we use it and like it and want it fancier, we can always do that later. Curtains will be expensive but far cheaper and less frustrating than getting a contractor here. We can get an electrician out to add outlets and probably do the rest ourselves.

Yes, the ceiling is concrete (the room is below the garage). I'll look into stick-on panels and see what they're like.

I'm still not sure about the lighting. Rope in crown seems ideal but can I affix crown molding to a concrete wall? Would that look jank? I don't know of any other good lighting solutions.

Liquid nails would hold crown molding to concrete. I don’t see why it would it would look bad. The room would look more finished at least. Or if you’re going with curtains, shoot some 2x4s into the wall to hang the curtains from and the molding can be nailed into that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just learned that Henry Rollins listens to his vinyl on wilson alexandria xlf speakers. I wonder what a speaker like that sounds like and how it would compare to something like a Klipsch jubilee setup.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jonathan posted:

I just learned that Henry Rollins listens to his vinyl on wilson alexandria xlf speakers. I wonder what a speaker like that sounds like and how it would compare to something like a Klipsch jubilee setup.

I remember reading that and then wondering what all those old punk records that were recorded on like a cassette 4 track or answering machine tape sound like coming out of 6 figure speakers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

I remember reading that and then wondering what all those old punk records that were recorded on like a cassette 4 track or answering machine tape sound like coming out of 6 figure speakers.

There are a lot of great songs where the distortion of the song gives it a character that makes it more than if it was recorded clean. Deep Purple - Lazy as a prime example of intentional distortion, or something like the Stooges where it's just the best they could do. I would assume that for someone like him, where many of those records he sat in and watched during recording, there are nuances that probably just sound correct on those speakers. I looked up the speakers and saw a picture of his claimed listening room which is all glass window on one side. Makes me wonder if that's actually his listening room or just promo material for an advertisement for the speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Deep Purple - Lazy

This is a song I ALWAYS use when evaluating speakers and headphones. The distortion is really hard on equipment to reproduce correctly and distortion over a different kind of distortion can be really obvious (the best way I can describe it is the audio equivalent to a Moire pattern).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

There are a lot of great songs where the distortion of the song gives it a character that makes it more than if it was recorded clean. Deep Purple - Lazy as a prime example of intentional distortion, or something like the Stooges where it's just the best they could do. I would assume that for someone like him, where many of those records he sat in and watched during recording, there are nuances that probably just sound correct on those speakers. I looked up the speakers and saw a picture of his claimed listening room which is all glass window on one side. Makes me wonder if that's actually his listening room or just promo material for an advertisement for the speakers.

This one?

I imagine with all that music down the back on shelves that it's his.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Lastly, in-wall speakers in the front would allow you to put your fronts and center channel directly behind an acoustically neutral screen, which could then take up the entire wall.

You don't need to do in-wall to do that, though it's a good idea either way given the narrow room.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rinaldi posted:

I'm sure you can affix molding to concrete one way or another. Probably going to be more of a pain in the rear end than a framed wall (i.e. concrete anchors are a lot more of a pain in the rear end than a finish nail gun). In my head your curtains come up to the bottom of the crowns and the crowns are close enough to the ceiling that there's no concrete wall visible at all.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This one?

I imagine with all that music down the back on shelves that it's his.

Yeah I see a UK subs poster so that's likely his.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does he live in an office park? That all seems vaguely commercial like there should be cubicles in there.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Photo of his listening sofa:
https://twitter.com/kcrw/status/884462223770492929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

via that link...

quote:

Henry Rollins is a long-time musician, host of a self-titled radio show on KCRW and an evangelical audiophile. He leads DnA's Frances Anderton and Rhythm Planet's Tom Schnabel on a sonic tour of his high fidelity audio-equipped home, and doesn't mince words about why we all should all own analog sound systems: "If you're going to listen to an MP3 -- which is sacrilegious -- through those ridiculous headphones through your phone, every band you're listening, you're sticking knives into their ribs, you are throwing them into the curb, and running them over with a truck."

Ah he's one of those audiophiles...