Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Here's another pic of the new crossover

I don't quite recognize the face on the flag behind Wes, have we seen that guy before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Wes looks like a Trek red shirt in that. Its uncanny.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
[Zooms in on that face in the background]

This is your reminder that Prince Gasket just ran the gently caress away and wasn’t seen again.

Edit: Bring him back with a gang of ToQ villains since they’re not going to do that show anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 3, 2018

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
the villain is some guy named Juza Yumihari from the ninninger movie. No i haven't seen it either, guessing he's a one-off villain for the anniversary special like Thrax.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl_wJr-BoIS/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1qa08o3xcwgoa

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I swear these new Saban seasons just feel so generic. That shot of Wes is just so drat bland.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh man, Good Feeling Kaiser VSX is a clusterfuck.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Started watching Ninja Steel. The girl playing Sarah is really cute. Other than that, I don't have much aside from I'm glad they're trying to slip the surly bonds of Sentai footage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh man, Good Feeling Kaiser VSX is a clusterfuck.

They didn't even try to in-suit it, it looks like. Just straight to CG fights with some cuts of the in-suit monster getting hit when convenient

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like that in Ninja Steel they often kill a monster without using a stock footage finishing move. It comes across as less impactful but it's really nice and fast paced.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The trade off is they get some new unexplained ability out of nowhere every other episode, but that’s par for the course.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No that's explained, you toss ninja step into a crystal ninja star, then a ninja steel star pops out and you throw it in the sky and the ranger gets new powers.

Out of nowhere. Pfft. That's basic fundamental science we all learn in grade school.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I know I’ve said this before, but I really hope our Hasbros can bring back high quality writing to the series. I can ignore “gets a random superpower from nowhere” if the other worldbuilding is consistent and there is a plausible handwave-y explanation for it.

Also I am maybe 6 or 7 episodes from the end of SPD. How did folks not tell me that the ridiculous Red Ranger Power up involves a leather codpiece? :roflolmao: That’s up there with Time Force Mega Rollerblade Battle for me.

I think after this I’m gonna try to watch Light Speed Rescue, Ninja Storm (which I slid off of my first attempt, but it was also right after I’d finished Jungle Fury which immediately grabbed my attention), or Operation Overdrive. I need to also watch In Space and Lost Galaxy, but I am putting off going through the first half of Turbo for as long as possible. Turbo is when I noped out as a kid.

Of course I should also be getting back up to speed with Ninja Steel as well, and it’s been a while since I’ve watched any Sentai expect for the few episodes of Shinkenger this year.

So much toku, so little time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What you with Turbo is you start with “Honey, I Shrunk the Rangers”, because the show took a months-long break in the middle of that two parter and returned with way more effort to try harder in it’s custom shot footage. I don’t know if someone was promoted or if this is when Sakamoto showed up or what, but starting with the second half it’s far you’re seeing way more effort from the Saban crew than you have since Zedd debuted.

Then immediately after that, JDF and company fucks off all at once, an event that was tragic in the day but is fine now because these days the In Space crew is regarded as one of the best.

And thennnn, the budget drops from under them again. Probably because someone was spending it all on In Space sets. (Makes you realize what losing the giant 90s Youth Center set at last could do for the show.) On the bright side, the show is leaning into how goofy the Sentai is and just isn’t even trying to hide it anymore. They’re also shooting outdoors more, and at episode 26 Hillary Shepard returns as Divatox and gives Carol Hoyt’s turn at the character a run for her money.

And then the budget shows up again just in time to end the show.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 5, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Memory loss pizza waitress Divatox is my wife

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Literally or

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

I did watch that episode again fairly recently and it is super fun.

Finished SPD. Overall it is amazingly fun and well written and I throughly enjoyed myself. It has one glaring issue for me. Ranger promotion pisses me off. I wouldn’t have minded so much if there had been any moment where Sky got called out for what he initially said about Syd being the leader, but that never happened so it’s like he got rewarded for doing the bare minimum as a decent human. Also Bridge got promoted but Z and Syd stay at the same level? That’s absolute trash. It’s even more annoying for me because on the whole SPD treated its female characters really well.

Suits are still stylish as gently caress. I love what they did with the Dekaranger footage and the creating of original characters like Boom, Piggy, SOPHIE, and the A Squad. The Dino Thunder crossovers were really fun to me (also that Tommy impersonation was hilarious).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Literally or

My real wife bought me a video message from Amy Jo Johnson for Christmas, which I don't think Divatox would do after the unpleasantness

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Morby posted:

Suits are still stylish as gently caress. I love what they did with the Dekaranger footage and the creating of original characters like Boom, Piggy, SOPHIE, and the A Squad. The Dino Thunder crossovers were really fun to me (also that Tommy impersonation was hilarious).

I believe that "Tommy" in that episode was voiced by the same guy who played Trent (the White Ranger in Dino Thunder).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

I did watch that episode again fairly recently and it is super fun.

Finished SPD. Overall it is amazingly fun and well written and I throughly enjoyed myself. It has one glaring issue for me. Ranger promotion pisses me off. I wouldn’t have minded so much if there had been any moment where Sky got called out for what he initially said about Syd being the leader, but that never happened so it’s like he got rewarded for doing the bare minimum as a decent human. Also Bridge got promoted but Z and Syd stay at the same level? That’s absolute trash. It’s even more annoying for me because on the whole SPD treated its female characters really well.

Yeah. I guess they maybe didn't want to make an SPD red suit Syd's size? Which is a weaksauce excuse, but it's the only thing I can think of. Syd is one of my favorite female rangers in the franchise, so I'm pretty biased. (It's funny, I like Syd more than Umeko but I like Jasmine more than Z. Put them together and I'd be in hog heaven.)

quote:

The only problems I have with the series really is A) needs more RIC (but he was probably expensive to do a lot with) and 2) they never really explored why Mora wanted to be a kid all the time. (Or they did and I just forgot.)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

I believe that "Tommy" in that episode was voiced by the same guy who played Trent (the White Ranger in Dino Thunder).

I could not stop laughing. In continuity did this crossover happen in those 10 episodes where Tommy was stuck in the suit? That’s my headcannon about this now.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. I guess they maybe didn't want to make an SPD red suit Syd's size? Which is a weaksauce excuse, but it's the only thing I can think of. Syd is one of my favorite female rangers in the franchise, so I'm pretty biased. (It's funny, I like Syd more than Umeko but I like Jasmine more than Z. Put them together and I'd be in hog heaven.)

I thought I would be more annoyed about Bridge sorta having Jasmine’s powers, but Bridge’s powers were different enough that I really didn’t mind. As far as the suit, they went through the effort with A Squad Red being a lady, so it really makes no sense to me why Syd would be a bridge too far (pun intended). At a con a few years back the writer said if he could do it again he would have made the Ranger promotions more equitable. I like Syd a tiny bit more than Umeko, but that’s mostly because my favorite Pinks are serious (Sakura, Mei, Ahim, Jen, Shelby). They can be goofy, but they mostly focus on getting the job done.

quote:

The only problems I have with the series really is A) needs more RIC (but he was probably expensive to do a lot with) and 2) they never really explored why Mora wanted to be a kid all the time. (Or they did and I just forgot.)

RIC was a heckin good dog. And, no, they did not explain anything about Mora, which was sorta disappointing.

Morby fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Unpopular take time: I like the SPD version of Doggie's first fight more than the Dekaranger version.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Unpopular take time: I like the SPD version of Doggie's first fight more than the Dekaranger version.

There was definitely more weight given to that fight from the plot. I really wanna watch Dekaranger again.

I, too, have an unpopular take! Jack is better than Ban. Houji is better than Sky.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
One of my goals is to someday give SPD a go because they fixed my biggest problem with Dekaranger: the cheap furry con fucksuits.

Also I’ve decided if they adapt VS, please make Bulk the chief of police.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morby posted:

I, too, have an unpopular take! Jack is better than Ban. Houji is better than Sky.

I can see that. Ban isn't the critical mass of Idiot Red syndrome so I don't hate him, but he doesn't grow as much as Jack does.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This dude still alive.
I think he's only 58 years old.

If Bulk is chief of police, make this guy commissioner.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Director Bulkmeier and his robot assistant S.K.U.L.L.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hasbro should spurge and get Ike Nwala to play his same role in the adaptation.

I was then going to suggest that Lt Stone should be director of SPD, and then I looked up and

quote:

The story takes place in the year 2025, after Earth has welcomed alien beings to live peacefully with the human race. However, peace is short lived as the planet-conquering Troobian Empire turns its destructive attention to Earth.

We are just seven years from SPD.

It's not gonna happen, but, if the LORE just kept up with this... that by 2025 we are living with aliens in peace, that'd be the coolest poo poo ever. Tie it all together, the Soul of the Dragon book make it canon and work in more worldbuilding.

If we keep the 1 show per 2 years formula, we could have Go-Busters, one show and then adapt Lupat into an SPD tie-in.

gently caress, i'm just writing fanfiction now

go-busters and lupat work as prequels, go-busters goes on about gene manipulation for humans
lupat ends up being a prequel to SPD, with the thieves rangers Actually being evil and having a "bad" end where they become recognized as good guys and become the A Squad
Kyurangers then just is 2026, all them aliens hanging around because yeah, it's normal, and Blue is just Kruger's lovely nephew, and Kruger is neo-zordon and SPD was a sneak peek to the Kruger era that'll span as long as the Zordon era
and the Ganglers are adapted as not necessarily all bad guys, just similar to SPD where htey fight a bunch who are villains, but there's good ones, but they're less socially accepted than they'll be in two years
at that point, hasbro keeps the 2 year shows going mainly to always be sure there's a space or alien heavy season to adapt at any given time and keep the deepest lore world going

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This dude still alive.
I think he's only 58 years old.

If Bulk is chief of police, make this guy commissioner.

Has that guy even done anything since Power Rangers? He kind of just dropped out of sight after Turbo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Has that guy even done anything since Power Rangers? He kind of just dropped out of sight after Turbo.

I remember looking it up at some point on IMDB, and iirc he hasn't done anything.

Sentai history question: before Saban made it the One That Became Power Rangers, was Zyuranger considered anything significantly special, or was it just the umpteenth newest Sentai series?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, Stone was where I started but the guy just got out of acting after Power Rangers.
Also, Paulie Schrier now has a handlebar mustache that screams “old cop promoted to desk job.”

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MisterBibs posted:

I remember looking it up at some point on IMDB, and iirc he hasn't done anything.

Sentai history question: before Saban made it the One That Became Power Rangers, was Zyuranger considered anything significantly special, or was it just the umpteenth newest Sentai series?

As far as I'm aware not really outside of having the first proper Sixth Ranger, and for putting more effort into the Mecha fights than most seasons to that point had bothered(the fights against Dora Frankie and it's subsequent forms is still some of the best in the franchise in my opinion)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that Cyclopsis?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is that Cyclopsis?

No, there was one that was literally just Frankenstein's monster. But yeah, while the concept of adding an extra Ranger had been experimented with in Sentai before (Big One in JAKQ, Black Bison and Green Sai in Liveman, X1 Mask for one episode of Maskman), Zyuranger was the first series to make it a regular thing.

Though outside of Extra Heroes like Ninjaman and Signalman the 6th wouldn't really start becoming a proper member of the team until around Megaranger (hell, before that they didn't even get a proper appearance in the opening theme, only their mechs did).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 6, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Kingranger served the plot okay, in that I think he defeated Mondo in the ancient past. It’s just that any value that might have in plot is erased with the decision to kill Mondo immediately after.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about the white ranger, was he (I wanna say Akibaranger but I think that's wrong) not a proper sixth in the Sentai?

It's kind of crazy to me Lightspeed Rescue Sentai(Gogo V?) had no sixth ranger. Did Toei just say "Hey instead of selling six toys this year how about we only sell five?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What about the white ranger, was he (I wanna say Akibaranger but I think that's wrong) not a proper sixth in the Sentai?

Dairanger. He was more a member of the team than DragonRanger was in Zyuranger but he was also a literal child and as such was not always available for filming.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dairanger was the name of the show, what I mean is what was his name...
Daiking? Akibaking?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Never watched Dairanger, but he always seemed like an infusion of comedy into a show that would have been really dry without him.

He and Kingranger are both kids (although Riki is an ancient history man in another time), and usually when a kid becomes a ranger he isn’t equal to the main five in combat, but is the only human link to something really strong or brings a really good weapon with him. But also “Godzilla will help us but he only listens to this kid” is a pretty old trope in toku. It lets kids have a power fantasy, while avoiding the issues Turbo had with Justin.

I might be wrong but I think the kid who became a Bonus Man in Kyu was the exception. He just had wild rear end powers like the ability to become huge (but not mecha huge.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dairanger was the name of the show, what I mean is what was his name...
Daiking? Akibaking?

Kibaranger, he has nothing to do with Akibaranger aside from a cameo and the fact that his name makes a pun. Amusingly he, along with the Green Ranger and the Gold Ranger from Zeo actually got more screentime in Power Rangers than they did in their respective Sentai shows (while other characters such as Ninjor and the Blue Centurion got significantly less).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah, Kibaranger is the white ranger. Akibaranger is the official parody show. I see why I got confused.