Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

admittedly react/jsx/html, which i'm not very comfortable with in general, and rust, where the bad experience is not because of vscode.

but about 3 hours ago i discovered zen mode in vscode and i've been really enjoying it.

ime visual studio is wicked awesome for anything c#/.net and sorta okay for anything else

vscode suits the rest of my needs

i don't gently caress with rust, tho, so i can't speak on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

admittedly react/jsx/html, which i'm not very comfortable with in general, and rust, where the bad experience is not because of vscode.

but about 3 hours ago i discovered zen mode in vscode and i've been really enjoying it.

wait are you talking about Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio Code? These are completely different things and at first it sounded like you were talking about vs2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Finster Dexter posted:

wait are you talking about Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio Code? These are completely different things and at first it sounded like you were talking about vs2017

yeah sorry, i definitely meant vsc but said visual studio

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
to simplify matters you can just refer to visual studio code as vscode and visual studio by its version number, like so:
dev10 - visual studio 2010
dev11 - visual studio 2012
dev12 - visual studio 2013
dev14 - visual studio 2015
dev15 - visual studio 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah sorry, i definitely meant vsc but said visual studio

idgi then, visual studio code is pretty nice (especially compared to alternatives)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idgi then, visual studio code is pretty nice (especially compared to alternatives)

i like it but when i open a file in it i never have any idea what window/project it is going to open it in

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

typedef std::vector<Window *>::iterator WindowIterator;

Now I remember why nobody likes C++.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

isn’t this literally the use case for auto?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol at Stepanov’s terrible library design, having everything take begin and end iterators instead of having sensible collection protocols

oh but then someone might try to treat collections as interchangeable even though they have different performance characteristics and we can’t possibly allow that

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I already know you work on XCode and think it's good, but somehow you keep surprising me with just how wrong you are

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

isn’t this literally the use case for auto?

Watcom baby, no C++11

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm having flashbacks to 2013 when I was in gamedev and working 100+ hours a week with gcc 4.2 because the toolchain we were targeting didn't support clang.

eschaton posted:

lol at Stepanov's terrible library design, having everything take begin and end iterators instead of having sensible collection protocols

oh but then someone might try to treat collections as interchangeable even though they have different performance characteristics and we can't possibly allow that

Don't forget output iterators with no known end, because having them act as streams with a concept of exhaustion might be bad or something.

iterators as cursors vs iterators as streams was such a colossal fuckup for c++

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Yo, what's a good ETL/workflow engine for parsing CSV files, and doing stuff like error trapping at certain steps?

Js or PHP options please. I'm a terrible proframmer

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

I already know you work on XCode and think it's good, but somehow you keep surprising me with just how wrong you are

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am in the throws of bringing up a 50,000+ line of code C++ project to modern C++ standards. Anybody who is trying to modernize a C++ project should be using CLion, it has clang-tidy and ClangD built in, making the transition wayyyyyyy smoother.

C++17 is cool and good. It makes C++ drat near a higher level language.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

SpaceAceJase posted:

Yo, what's a good ETL/workflow engine for parsing CSV files, and doing stuff like error trapping at certain steps?

php has fgetcsv and fputcsv

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SpaceAceJase posted:

Or maybe this: http://csv.adaltas.com/parse/examples/ ?

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 5, 2018

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

i visited belize earlier this year and it was an honest to god paradise and i think about moving there weekly

i was within miles of where mcaffee had been

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Xarn posted:

can we not just be a dick to eschaton for no reason?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
there’s no way I wouldn’t get into the exact same poo poo Mcafee did if i were in Belize.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Stubbs posted:

i visited belize earlier this year and it was an honest to god paradise and i think about moving there weekly

i was within miles of where mcaffee had been

hope you can afford you're own militia

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

SpaceAceJase posted:

dbt. it's python but it's a command line tool so you don't need to know python

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SpaceAceJase posted:

just roll your own. how hard could it be?

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

hope you can afford you're own militia

there's load of expats living comfortably out there. it's not el salvador. mcaffee made alot of enemies

that said i did see a bit of arson go down when a guy got his cabana bar torched in labor dispute

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

redleader posted:

just roll your own. how hard could it be?
Mean.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
is this the place to e/n about working at one of the oldest and most terrible software companies in the world?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

is this the place to e/n about working at one of the oldest and most terrible software companies in the world?

you work for dec?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I think that’s cjs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

what if it involves MUMPS

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Sounds pretty terrible so why not?

edit IBM or hp?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
could also be apple

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

yes. spill the beans

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Of course, that's how I got famous :)

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

jit bull transpile posted:

Of course, that's how I got famous :)

sorry to leave you hanging. lets just say it’s very similar to epic but somehow worse

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

sorry to leave you hanging. lets just say it’s very similar to epic but somehow worse

ah, are you working at SAS

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

Do you work on intersystems EU only emr nightmare?

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

jit bull transpile posted:

Do you work on intersystems EU only emr nightmare?

its meditech, where you can write proprietary software in proprietary programming languages at 50 cents on the dollar!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

its meditech, where you can write proprietary software in proprietary programming languages at 50 cents on the dollar!

Noice. I used to support meditech in my help desk jockey days and it seemed like trash. Also I love how y'all use a language forked from mumps that has somehow become even more terse and indecipherable than the source language.

Please teach us MAGIC

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
looks like i've got myself a (limited, part time, contracting) rust job and i'm very pleased. in addition to rust i'll also get to put MIT on my resume which is cool, i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

looks like i've got myself a (limited, part time, contracting) rust job and i'm very pleased. in addition to rust i'll also get to put MIT on my resume which is cool, i think.

congrats!