Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Maybe you're thinking of the board game version of Runewars? I think that's discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Avenging Dentist posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the board game version of Runewars? I think that's discontinued.

Yeah, I'm referring to the Runewars Miniatures Game, which mysteriously shares the title.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just because they are dropping it doesn't mean they won't try and sell what they have already produced though. It is a good idea, but it died day one around here.

I certainly don't have an intimate understanding of their production pipeline, but the stuff they've announced isn't even in production yet, and won't hit stores until Q4 2018-Q1 2019. That's as promising a development cycle as I expect to get from a game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Rune Wars was reasonably popular around here and growing.... and then they announced Legion and everyone dropped it immediately

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And honestly I think legion is just worse in every way. That game is the complete antithesis of hype for me. God I'm so sick of star wars products.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to play it but much like xwing and Armada I won't because I can't afford it

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Len posted:

I want to play it but much like xwing and Armada I won't because I can't afford it

My roommate bought the Legion starter kit three months ago and we've never touched it. Xwing has gotten so bloated that making an army list requires looking at more cards than a Magic deck, and takes longer than playing the game. Haven't even glanced at the second edition, because there's no way I'm rebuying a single model.

Maybe 2nd edition is worth it for new players.

Armada looks really neat, and I wish it had come out before xwing. Space battleships giving each other broadsides is much more interesting to me than space ww1 fighters, but there was no way I was going to buy a second star wars space ship battle game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

I really wanted to get into Rune Wars, but it was the release schedule that killed it for me. Took them way too long to bring out extra factions. That and the demon worshipping dudes have some pretty bad models.

The Uthuk Y'llan have Mantic paintjobs. They look better when not painted. Completely agree about that release schedule though.

Runewars does what X-Wing doesn't: scale up well. I really enjoyed X-Wing gameplay, but I thought it got worse at higher point values. Runewars generally avoids this thanks to how the units are ranked.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
X-Wing is a very good beer and pretzels game, I feel. Agree on pts limit, slap some ships together, donxt take Luke with R2D2 and you're good to go.

Competitive is probably cancer, but what game isn't? Infinity! :v:

Some guy put a quarter-hearted attempt to boost Runewars in our store and failed.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I believe the new co-op LCG from FFG is based on Rune Wars, so it might see some pickup if that gains traction.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
A few years ago, Adepticon gave out Rune Wars starters and I was so pumped to see a bunch of people start playing but I just found a bunch of For Sale or Trade posts and it bummed me out. I tried to find people to play with and no one does locally but the box could make a pretty decent demo for Dragon Rampant, too.

Edit: or any generic fantasy miniature game, really.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The only thing I don't like about Dragon Rampant is that whole thing it has where if you fail activating a single unit it ends your whole turn right there, seems to me like one of those things where a couple bad rolls could ruin a game to an extent I haven't really seen anywhere else

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

jodai posted:

A few years ago, Adepticon gave out Rune Wars starters and I was so pumped to see a bunch of people start playing but I just found a bunch of For Sale or Trade posts and it bummed me out. I tried to find people to play with and no one does locally but the box could make a pretty decent demo for Dragon Rampant, too.

yea i remember a few years ago when it was 2017 too

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yea i remember a few years ago when it was 2017 too

It feels longer for some of us. :smith:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

drrockso20 posted:

The only thing I don't like about Dragon Rampant is that whole thing it has where if you fail activating a single unit it ends your whole turn right there, seems to me like one of those things where a couple bad rolls could ruin a game to an extent I haven't really seen anywhere else

That's part of the reason why I couldn't embrace it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LashLightning posted:

dont worry mate, as you get older time will start seeming to fly by :unsmith:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's part of the reason why I couldn't embrace it.

Admittedly it's a pretty easy thing to house rule

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

LashLightning posted:

This guy gets it.

Edit: I like how turnover works in Song of Blades and Heroes. If memory serves, you roll 1-3 dice, each successful roll gives an action but if you fail on two or three dice, your opponent goes. So you could play it safe and only roll 1 die so you get to activate everything or go all out and try to get more actions to move further or hit harder.

jodai fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 1, 2018

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jodai posted:

Most things given out that aren't 40k usually go on sale quick. Last year had Dark Age as well.
It would be better if Runewars wasn't so generic fantasy as well.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Haven't even glanced at the second edition, because there's no way I'm rebuying a single model.

Good news, FFG have straight-up claimed that they'll sell duplicates of all the cardboard separately to ease the transition for les grognards. I think their words were literally "you won't have to re-buy a single model if you don't want to".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ceebees posted:

Good news, FFG have straight-up claimed that they'll sell duplicates of all the cardboard separately to ease the transition for les grognards. I think their words were literally "you won't have to re-buy a single model if you don't want to".

Oh that's cool. Depending on the price of it, my friend and I might update then.

The new movement dials look so much nicer than the old ones, but there's no way I'd spend more than a buck a ship to get the newer ones.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

That sounds great. Ohthehugemanatee, where did you pick it up from? The rules look like they're worth a read, but I couldn't find them on DriveThru!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ceebees posted:

Have they announced whether you can get individual dials and cards for specific ships? Or are they just putting out an 'upgrade kit' which will have like one of each card for a faction (and thus require someone to buy a bunch of boxes if they have any duplicate ships)?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zark the Damned posted:

Have they announced whether you can get individual dials and cards for specific ships? Or are they just putting out an 'upgrade kit' which will have like one of each card for a faction (and thus require someone to buy a bunch of boxes if they have any duplicate ships)?

They're putting out upgrade kits that have several cards and dials for each ship. You only have to buy more than one kit if you want to run like 9 TIEs at once.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

glitchkrieg posted:

That sounds great. Ohthehugemanatee, where did you pick it up from? The rules look like they're worth a read, but I couldn't find them on DriveThru!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144009/FiveCore-3rd-edition-Skirmish-Gaming-Evolved

There you go.

Edit: One thing I will suggest for the system - Units spend a lot of time next to cover in states of either "hiding" and "peeking". Basically a dude behind any cover or at the edge of a building can choose to either use the cover to hide and give up any chance at firing or expose themselves but be able to shoot. You can use little chits for this but 99% of the time it's easier to use this system: Dudes facing forwards are exposed and peeking. Dudes facing backwards are hiding. It saves a lot of tiny markers strewn over the battlefield.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 3, 2018

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Zark the Damned posted:

The first season of releases includes an 'conversion kit' for the three main factions (new trilogy ships will not be tournament-legal until their upgrade kits come out in a future season). From what they've shown off pre-release, these kits contain several pilots for each ship, both generic and aces, and the cardboard and bases to fly several of every ship from that faction. So, really, one box should cover the majority of reasonable games and tournament lists, but if you want to convert an entire $1000+ collection or fly a swarm of low-cost generics, you'll be in for two or three upgrade kits per faction.

Additionally, they've claimed that as more ships are re-released in the coming seasons, there'll be individual cardboard-only packets that you can buy to upgrade 1.0 plastic spaceships to 2.0 if you didn't get an upgrade kit. It honestly all sounds a little wild for them to actually carry out, especially from under the midas thumb of Asmodee, and they haven't 110% spelled out precisely how all of these promises are going to be implemented. But, given that they've specifically acknowledged the re-buying problem and seem to be taking steps to combat it, i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone playing The Witchborn? Been watching GMG and GWTC play it, and it seems pretty middling. Latest GWTC video is loving lousy with critical failures and it's exhausting.

Oooh gonna snag this!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144009/FiveCore-3rd-edition-Skirmish-Gaming-Evolved

There you go.

Edit: One thing I will suggest for the system - Units spend a lot of time next to cover in states of either "hiding" and "peeking". Basically a dude behind any cover or at the edge of a building can choose to either use the cover to hide and give up any chance at firing or expose themselves but be able to shoot. You can use little chits for this but 99% of the time it's easier to use this system: Dudes facing forwards are exposed and peeking. Dudes facing backwards are hiding. It saves a lot of tiny markers strewn over the battlefield.

Thanks - for some reason, it didn't come up when I searched for it! Will take a look and see if I can convince anybody from my club to give it a whirl.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

When Ivan discovered the whole shock/kill dice thing, he fukkin ran with it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Finally got around to trying out Rogue Stars after having the book for ages. It feels like either we were missing something or it's definitely more of a "roll dice, see what happens" wargame than we're used to. Two games in and we were already discussing basically scrapping the whole thing and just writing our own system. It's not bad exactly, just hard to work out what exactly the rules expect to happen at times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did anything cool come out of Gencon this year?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Hu-mans for Oathmark are up for pre-order, for those interested.

Still no news on the actual rules, though.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'll probably just get the wizard and a infantry box to mix with Frostgrave plastics and I'll definitely put a couple warbands together and paint them up, yup, for sure, any day now...

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Irate Tree posted:

New Hu-mans for Oathmark are up for pre-order, for those interested.

Still no news on the actual rules, though.

I had pretty high hopes after the goblins, which I thought were great, but the elves looked rough and these somehow look even worse. With the new human figures coming out from Fireforge Games at some point I don't see much reason to get these.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I dunno; I was pretty anti-elf but the humans have a neat dark-ages feel you don't tend to see in fantasy stuff (or, if you do, it's in the form of vikings or naked-woad celts).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Anyone getting Ivan's RENEGADE SCOUT rules?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

spectralent posted:

I dunno; I was pretty anti-elf but the humans have a neat dark-ages feel you don't tend to see in fantasy stuff (or, if you do, it's in the form of vikings or naked-woad celts).

Those elves were hideous.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

spectralent posted:

I dig he aesthetic, but they just look so sloppily executed... the details are crude, the proportions all off, the weapons look like logs. I guess the aesthetic of the goblins just hid the poor sculpting better.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

JcDent posted:

Anyone getting Ivan's RENEGADE SCOUT rules?
Yes, I was part of the crowd-funding effort. At first read, it seems pretty cool. To be clear, this is an evolutionary, not a revolutionary game. But there's a lot I like, for example I found campaign rules really simple, yet fulfilling. It's a wargame that seems a lot like Rogue Trader Oldhammer, but with modern mechanics and plenty of narrative options - I think that you could very much run a wargame/RPG hybrid like the old Braunstein games with this.

If you like Ivan's other games, I think you'll like this too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

VacuumJockey posted:

Yes, I was part of the crowd-funding effort. At first read, it seems pretty cool. To be clear, this is an evolutionary, not a revolutionary game. But there's a lot I like, for example I found campaign rules really simple, yet fulfilling. It's a wargame that seems a lot like Rogue Trader Oldhammer, but with modern mechanics and plenty of narrative options - I think that you could very much run a wargame/RPG hybrid like the old Braunstein games with this.

If you like Ivan's other games, I think you'll like this too.

Yeah, I got a reviewer copy, which means I'll have to produce a review at some point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I posted this over in the Historicals thread, but I suppose I should have posted it here too.

Warlord are having a summer clearance sale, which offers a bunch of their sprues for cheap as well as some of their games. The Terminator game is actually pretty good, even if the movie it's based on is garbage, and is dirt cheap right now. There's also some of the Gates of Antares miniatures for sci-fi stuff, and some of the old Wargames Factory/Project Z female survivors which might be good for The Walking Dead or similar games (I grabbed some for 'present' Terminators/Resistance fighters).