Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Welcome to Let's Play La Mulana 2

La Mulana is an action adventure game that I normally describe as a mash up between a metroidvania game and Myst. It's full of obnoxious jumping and whipping at too god drat many enemies and puzzles that make absolutely no sense (except they really do and you feel inadequate and stupid when you realize).

This is the sequel to the first game which I also did an LP of, you can find it on the LP archive if you care to watch it. This is a direct continuation of the story but I'll be covering what happened and the world-lore as it's appropriate so it's not strictly necessary viewing material.

The puzzles in this game, and the first, are devilish and the primary goal of this LP is to give you as sensible an explanation and guide to the game as I can muster. I'm going to be doing alot of editing to try and wrangle this open-ended puzzle-solving experience into as clear and concise a line as possible. If you played the game yourself and are curious just how you were supposed to know why that random thing you did actually solved a puzzle, this is the spot for you.

The LP itself
I'll be posting about once per week, maybe twice if the video is particularly short, and aiming for somewhere in the 30-40 minute video length. Each post will also be accompanied by whatever glossary entries we've run into for that video, split into the post below the update video so people don't get spoiled. Not much more to it than that, this game is one dense piece of work so we'll have alot to cover each video.

The second post is going to be a (constantly updated) collection of the entire gallery, I wouldn't really consider them spoilers per se, since knowing we're going to run into bats and rabbits with wings isn't a huge problem, but if this thread has been open for awhile and you're brand new maybe skip over that part if you don't want to see. I'll make sure it lags behind the first few updates to keep anybody from accidentally seeing it while the thread is still only 1 page.

The updates
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

For Later

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 1

This is the opening of the game, we're going back to where the first game started and seeing some of the aftermath of our previous adventure. We start by traveling through a few of the iconic locations from the first game which was a big ole' trip down nostalgia lane for me when I played it. After that we'll get into the new game proper and solve the first area which serves as a pretty straightforward introduction.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This week's glossary entries, sorted in no particular order.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Game is good. Everyone play it!
I literally spent my whole weekend with it.

I saw your La Mulana 1 LP. At least I think it was yours. If I remember right, it was really fun and informative, so I am really in here.

After watching a bit of this video, I really like it so far. I love that you actually show off the "why" and not just the "how" of these puzzles.

I love how Lokis wife just says, "he's accused of a crime." She doesn't even pretend to convince you that he's actually innocent.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 5, 2018

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The system La-Mulana is based on is the MSX! These days it's mostly known for being where the Metal Gear series started.

Something I find strange about Loki in this game is he's never called Loki in-game. He's consistently referred to as the Trickster, despite all other mythological characters using their actual names instead of titles.

Also this game is good and I first played La-Mulana because of your LP!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Eagerly going to be following this. Quite curious to see how the game ends.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I remember your La-Mulana LP. Didn't the hell temple break you?

Well, that one was really well done so I'll be watching this one as well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah I remember your La-Mulana LP. Didn't the hell temple break you?

Oh yeah that's right! Now I am pretty sure that I did watch that LP. I also looked at one of the old videos to jog my memory.

Procrastine posted:

Something I find strange about Loki in this game is he's never called Loki in-game. He's consistently referred to as the Trickster, despite all other mythological characters using their actual names instead of titles.

Maybe they didn't want people to think "Wait a minute, that's the bad guy from the Marvel movies! Freeing him will obviously just kill me. Time to do something else! But what? I guess I'll fight that Nidhogg, I ran way from. How hard can that be anyways?"

15 Minutes later on the steam review page: "Miniboss bugged, doesn't die. Can't get past the first area! Don't buy!"

Granted, that's not really the sort of person who would enjoy this game in the first place...

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 5, 2018

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This game is incredible and the 4 years of waiting were absolutely worth it.

Happily following this LP.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I backed this to find out that it plays s...l...o...w...l...y... on my computer for some reason. :shrug: I'll just watch a Let's Play instead.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
gently caress yeah, I watched the poo poo out of your La Mulana Let's play, and I am looking forward to this. I know that I am not good enough at games to play either of these.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
Loved your LP of the first game. And this look amazing already.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I backed this to find out that it plays s...l...o...w...l...y... on my computer for some reason. :shrug: I'll just watch a Let's Play instead.

That may be my biggest problem with the game so far, it seems kinda poorly optimized. Some rooms suddenly take a dip in fps for no apparent reason. And while the art and movement looks really good. It probably the first 2D platformer I've seen, where the Steam page recommends a 8GB rig, with 4GB minimum.

Thankfully, it's running alright for me. Most rooms are fluid, but some special ones drag along at half speed.

But maybe that's just caused by some minor background data leakage and will be fixed in a patch.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 5, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I started watching your LP of the first game earlier today and then this thread pops up. I didn't even know there was a La-Mulana 2, and I still managed to have the best timing possible for it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've been waiting for this game for a while but I'll probably enjoy seeing someone pick it apart more than I would trying to figure out a load of inscrutable puzzles :v:

I still had a hard time with the original in spite of watching an LP first so it's not like it's going to ruin the game for me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I still watch the first LP from time to time.

Following this for sure.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

That may be my biggest problem with the game so far, it seems kinda poorly optimized. Some rooms suddenly take a dip in fps for no apparent reason. And while the art and movement looks really good. It probably the first 2D platformer I've seen, where the Steam page recommends a 8GB rig, with 4GB minimum.

Thankfully, it's running alright for me. Most rooms are fluid, but some special ones drag along at half speed.

But maybe that's just caused by some minor background data leakage and will be fixed in a patch.

The performance should probably be their top priority for patching, but we'll see what happens, I think they're taking a bit of a break after crunching like crazy the past month. They switched to Unity for this game and it's their first time with both it and 3D in general (there's actually a lot more 3D involved in this game than it might seem), so there are some nasty growing pains there. I think it might actually be particle systems that are causing the most issues, but I can't say for certain.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You guys give me the warm fuzzies with the warm reception. Thanks so much. I loved the game and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you lot.

It was actually really cool beating it this past week because with La Mulana 1 I pretty quickly gave up and went to look up a walkthrough whenever I got stuck but this time there ARE no walkthroughs. It's stillr eally hard to find information about the game on the itnernet so I had to figure out 95% of stuff on my own and asking friends/the thread here on SA for help. It was really neat.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Still working my way through this game but it's been pretty great. Absolutely watching this also pretty great LP.

And yeah, playing the game when you can't just look up the wiki and find the answer to what's troubling you is a really different experience from how I played the original.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard there was a la mulana 2. I'm way too cowardly to play.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

If any of you too scared to play feel like you can afford it I would actually recommend giving it a shot anyways, the game is a lot of fun and it does a good job of making you not really think about looking up stuff, you tend to have a lot of places to explore and every time you get a new item there's a feeling of "well, I better go check those areas again". I was kinda worried I wouldn't enjoy the game but its honestly been pretty great.

Also, Ratatoskr wasn't the thing chewing on the roots of Yggdrasil, that's Nidhogg. Ratatoskr is the squirrel thats delivers messages up and down the tree between Nidhogg and Veorfolnir.

I do remember watching your la-mulana lets play and I really enjoyed that you went into the how on top of the why, so I'm looking forward to this.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Also very much looking forward to this let's play; I very much enjoyed your play through of the first one.

By the way, does anyone know if this is coming out for the Switch?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My big worry with this game was that they would just be making La-Mulana again which, well, is not necessarily a bad thing but it'd just be kind of a blah result I thought.

The crazy thing though is that they more or less did exactly that but did so, so much more with the foundation they laid in the first game. It's kind of like what Super Metroid was to Metroid where it's nominally the same game but not really at all.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Super Jay Mann posted:

My big worry with this game was that they would just be making La-Mulana again which, well, is not necessarily a bad thing but it'd just be kind of a blah result I thought.

The crazy thing though is that they more or less did exactly that but did so, so much more with the foundation they laid in the first game. It's kind of like what Super Metroid was to Metroid where it's nominally the same game but not really at all.

Nod Yup, even though I haven't beaten the third boss yet (whichever that'll end up being for me. :P ), this is one I'm actually looking forward to writing the review on.

Also, looking forward to seeing your approach, Agent355, because laying out the clues sounds like a drat fine way of going about it. :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm really going to enjoy following along with this as i play through the game myself

also yeah, the cool thing is that the sequel really does do A LOT of what the first game did but in a really good way and even expands on what was there

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This isn't Punchbowl, Agent what are you doing.
But no for serious, I vaguely remember the first LP as well! I saw this on youtube first before even seeing the thread. I like your energy dude and you always give good commentary on things. So of course I'll be watching, as I am not patient enough to play it myself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that you seem to have a co-commentator who's more interested in the game this time around

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that you seem to have a co-commentator who's more interested in the game this time around

Wow, rude.

We had to record late at night because of Agent's super cute bird and I work stupid early in the morning

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I AM EXCITED!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I couldn't get halfway in La-Mulana because of the horrible swimming physics and constantly getting knocked into the lava, which this game addressed. Glad to have backed it.
Did the last game have crouching?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nah, no crouching last game. And the air control in this game isn't great but it's more than last game where you had to physically hit walls to change directions and could only slightly shorten jumps.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, this looks like a true return to form so far, including Agent being very bad at bats. :allears: Let's see if this LP convinces me to play the game myself like the first one did.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It was like one jump!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Agent355 posted:

It was like one jump!
You jumped into the same sleeping bat twice in quick succession, and then turned around and jumped into a different bat, which knocked you down a pit. :mmmhmm:

The rest of the bats were pretty well handled, but navigating that rotating platform was a comedy of errors. (Which is always an important part of the authentic La Mulana experience.) Of course, I'm sure you'll prove me wrong in future videos.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Oh you can't trust me. I have the power of editing on my side. (there will be many prat falls, no worries)

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I knew it was either going to be you or Highwang to do this. Very much enjoyed your Let's Play of the first La Mulana.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Excited to follow along!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I have always admired La Mulana as a great game that I am never going to be able to beat. Your LP of the first game allowed me to enjoy it vicariously, and now I can enjoy this one as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Super hyped for this after your first one, man.