Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Imagine being one of those WC supporters cheering Gaff loudly after that punch. What the gently caress? I’ve seen plenty of Hawks do bad things on the footy field and I’ve never heard our crowd cheer them for it like that. You sit there and let the other team boo them, because they usually deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Imagine being one of those WC supporters cheering Gaff loudly after that punch. What the gently caress? I’ve seen plenty of Hawks do bad things on the footy field and I’ve never heard our crowd cheer them for it like that. You sit there and let the other team boo them, because they usually deserve it.

Yes but have you considered THE DARRRRBY

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

realbez posted:

West Coast fans should be locked out for the rest of the season. They can play in empty stadiums like the Filippino basketball team

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

They said on the ABC that they never replayed the punch during the game, so a lot of people wouldn't have known about it, and just seen Gaff get targeted for the rest of the game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Also chardonnay reportedly burns holes in the brain

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes but have you considered THE DARRRRBY

It's pronounced derby

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Gaff shouldn’t have been let back on. I’m really not up on the whole “red card” debate, how many sports don’t have some ability to immediately kick a player off for something like that?

Also, why the gently caress are so many people defending this guy? “So our of character!”, gently caress, the poor victim is probably going to be having smoothies for what, 8 weeks? Ugh

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/muybmuyb/status/1026296857956237313?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teacup posted:

Gaff shouldn’t have been let back on. I’m really not up on the whole “red card” debate, how many sports don’t have some ability to immediately kick a player off for something like that?

All of the major American sports can (ejections in baseball and American armor ball, two technical fouls/particularly egregious flagrant fouls in basketball, I think also in ice hockey, and red cards in soccer).

Pro basketball hasn’t had anything nearly that bad in a dozen years or so (the Malice at the Palace) but through the 1980s fights and brawls happened somewhat often. Think your average jumper punch handbags, even that has been stamped out (which meant the Philippine vs Australia brawl recently brought out some “back in my day”-ism in the US sports scene).

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Was at the game, had no idea what had happened besides some murmerings from people listening to the radio. Whole thing is hosed in hindsight but it's not odd for fans to support a star player in the moment without having a good idea of what went on. Gaff should never have returned to the ground, that's the mistake here. The argument against the Red Card, that being if a player is incorrectly sent off being too much of a penalty is crap. Put that power in the hands of the video ref, the couple of times this year when it would have been applied were instantly clear-cut on replay.

What a poo poo fuckin way to end a weekend. I hope the book gets thrown at Gaff. I also hope the leadership group gets around him and lets him know he owes the team a couple of finals series because he's really hosed things for West Coast by rubbing himself out.

I feel for Brayshaw's mum, she's already gone through extensive therapy to get over the anxiety of seeing Angus get knocked out so many times on the footy field, can't imagine what seeing a bloke king-hit her son has done to her.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Punching someone in the NFL would do more damage to your own hand.

The minimum Gaff should get is ban that would see him out no matter how many finals they play - so 7 games. I'd prefer 8-10. It's just such a bad look. If society is screaming for tougher sentences for coward punchers then tough suspensions should apply to AFL footballers too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

masterpine posted:

Was at the game, had no idea what had happened besides some murmerings from people listening to the radio. Whole thing is hosed in hindsight but it's not odd for fans to support a star player in the moment without having a good idea of what went on. Gaff should never have returned to the ground, that's the mistake here. The argument against the Red Card, that being if a player is incorrectly sent off being too much of a penalty is crap. Put that power in the hands of the video ref, the couple of times this year when it would have been applied were instantly clear-cut on replay.

What a poo poo fuckin way to end a weekend. I hope the book gets thrown at Gaff. I also hope the leadership group gets around him and lets him know he owes the team a couple of finals series because he's really hosed things for West Coast by rubbing himself out.

I feel for Brayshaw's mum, she's already gone through extensive therapy to get over the anxiety of seeing Angus get knocked out so many times on the footy field, can't imagine what seeing a bloke king-hit her son has done to her.

Not sure a video ref is a very practical solution for a league that can’t even tell main eggs from side eggs upon review

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

Not sure a video ref is a very practical solution for a league that can’t even tell main eggs from side eggs upon review

Fair point. I think the video ref idea is fine if you don't use AFL's joke version of video review as the starting point. It's comical how bad the video review system is.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

I think the problem there is the AFL promises a big, all encompassing goal post/umpire hat/multi angle camera review system, and then turns around and says to FoxFooty and 7 "Please install these at your own expense", and FoxFooty replies "Only at Etihad because that's where most of our games are" and 7 says "We'll consider it after we complete our move to full HD broadcast in 2030"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 6, 2018

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
but think of how many execs they could employ on the “look of the game” committee with the money saved by glueing 3 megapixel webcams to the goal posts

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Adelaide assistant coach Tate Kaesler wants goal posts that light up when the ball hits them, like scaled up versions of the light up bails/stumps from T20 cricket, and I agree with him because everything is better with LEDs

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
We can put LED's on the premiership cup as well like the big bash does

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

T20 has a lot of stupid poo poo in it, such as most of the stuff they lifted for AFLX, but the stumps and bails that light up when broken are one of the few good things to come out of it, because you get a crystal clear visual signal for the crowd, and they make it easier for the 3rd umpire to judge run outs/stumpings

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The idea of Zinger Post's (tm) is very, very exciting to me. Premiership Cup should of course be replaced by the AFLX trophy, the clearly superior throphy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wouldn’t they go off when a player hits the post, though?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

Wouldn’t they go off when a player hits the post, though?

The amount of pressure required to set them off can be adjusted. Adapting it is not without challenges, but it should be doable. Soccer was able to adapt the Hawkeye tech from tennis and cricket into its goal line system.

I mean if you're really boring you can ditch the light up part and have it buzz a wristband on the goal umpire like they do for goal line tech in soccer, but that's missing half the fun.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 6, 2018

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If the ball hits the post it should trigger an audio sample that booms “you blew it” over the entire ground

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it should make either the “bah bowwwww” sound from family feud or the sad horn from price is right

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It should just play canned laughter

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPXTghDqKXA

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3QqSVKtpA

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

masterpine posted:

The idea of Zinger Post's (tm) is very, very exciting to me. Premiership Cup should of course be replaced by the AFLX trophy, the clearly superior throphy.

The cup should be replaced by a silver and gold KFC bucket on a plinth, which is filled up with chicken salted chips for the players to share with each other and fans during the lap of honour.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Spedman posted:

The cup should be replaced by a silver and gold KFC bucket on a plinth, which is filled up with chicken salted chips for the players to share with each other and fans during the lap of honour.

Outrage erupts after the AFL refuse to change salt from KFC's proprietary blend to Mitani chicken salt after Adelaide win premiership.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Schneider Inside Her posted:

If the ball hits the post it should trigger an audio sample that booms “you blew it” over the entire ground

Rig the point post up to play “out of bounds on the full” from the NES Aussie rules game

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gaff should get at least 6 weeks, but I don't think he meant to punch Brayshaw in the jaw. I think he threw that punch that you see players do all the time in games where they try to punch each other as hard as they can in the shoulder/collar area, and missed disastrously.

They should probably start handing out at least a week for every punching motion that isn't directed at the ball. There would be a lot of suspensions very quickly, but it'd stop eventually.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

realbez posted:

They should probably start handing out at least a week for every punching motion that isn't directed at the ball. There would be a lot of suspensions very quickly, but it'd stop eventually.

Agreed. Have to start treating the near misses, not just the severe impacts.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

realbez posted:

Gaff should get at least 6 weeks, but I don't think he meant to punch Brayshaw in the jaw. I think he threw that punch that you see players do all the time in games where they try to punch each other as hard as they can in the shoulder/collar area, and missed disastrously.

I was just about to say the same thing. The AFL normalised punching by not punishing body taps/punches/elbows and jumper punches as hard as they should (if at all). It's not at all within the scope of the game; no player signs up to catch fists. Can you imagine NFL or NBA players punching opposition players in the gut, chest or collar off the ball or during a stop in play? Wouldn't loving fly.

All this talk about rule changes to improve the look of the sport? An 18 year old, bloodied and missing teeth on the boundary is a real bad look. I hope it has them scrambling.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Gaff wouldn’t have punched him if he was in his assigned zone

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

spamman posted:

Agreed. Have to start treating the near misses, not just the severe impacts.

That would require the AFL admitting their "we judge force almost entirely by the outcome" stance is bullshit, which has a 0% chance of happening.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

NTRabbit posted:

The amount of pressure required to set them off can be adjusted. Adapting it is not without challenges, but it should be doable. Soccer was able to adapt the Hawkeye tech from tennis and cricket into its goal line system.

I mean if you're really boring you can ditch the light up part and have it buzz a wristband on the goal umpire like they do for goal line tech in soccer, but that's missing half the fun.
Just have the ball register as the goal if it goes over the goal line. If it bounces back into play it's a behind.

(When I discussed this on the toots someone suggested the rebounds should remain in play but then someone else said that would likely lead to people mucking around near the post contesting the ball and possibly getting Hodged.)

Likewise for the behind post - behind if it goes over the line on the inside, throw-in/OOBF free kick otherwise.

Wouldn't entirely do away with goal reviews but at least you wouldn't need ZINGER POST JFC.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

But that doesn't solve the issue of what happened in the Showdown, where a ball appears to graze the post but no footage articulates it enough to overturn the on field decision

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

But that doesn't solve the issue of what happened in the Showdown, where a ball appears to graze the post but no footage articulates it enough to overturn the on field decision
Well you just make sure there's enough damned footage eh?

The idea probably wouldn't get accepted because it is a fairly fundamental shift in how posts are treated for scoring purposes, but still, if people want ideas, that's one, and I don't think it's that disruptive as some of the other things that have come out of Gillon McWonka's Stupid Idea Factory.

But for the Showdown one, the implementation of this rule would've been a clear goal as it crossed the line even if it brushed the post.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah it does, it went through the goals so it’s a goal, even if it hit the post on the way through. The only grey area left is the ball that is so high it goes over the post.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

realbez posted:

The only grey area left is the ball that is so high it goes over the post.
Oh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
But that’s solved by goal posts with fricken laser beams on their heads.