Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

AS had a sneak preview of the first two online a week back.

Which was promptly uploaded everywhere.

Also, the Venture millinery fire that Hatred mentions is a reference to Escape to the House of Mummies (Part 2) where Rusty mentions his great-grandfather was a milliner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wait, am I reading that timecode correctly? Are they getting a roughly hour and a half long finale?

[Edit: holy poo poo, yeah. It’s HH:MM:SS:FF. Hoooooly shiiit]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 6, 2018

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

So if I remember right, this first episode was suppose to be the season 6 finale? That makes the lack of ending stinger make sense

Did we ever get a conclusion to the whole "big scienceNOW conference" they mentioned in season 6?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That episode was loving incredible! I can't believe they finally brought back Jonas. I hope he's not dead after Pete loving chopped him. That would be so poo poo after casting this huge shadow over the entire series. loving incredible show.

Also the book came today and it is HUGE

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The book is amazing, essentially an aural history of the entire show to this point. There wasn’t anything especially shocking or new to me, but learning the origin of a few of the background characters was neat. Really it’s just nice to have all that info in one book.

I actually laughed when they talk about the second season finale and how adamant they are that they didn’t have a plan for Dr. Girlfriend’s “Monarch, I’m…” line, and then on the next page pretty much the first thing Doc says is “Jackson wanted her to be pregnant!”. Glad they didn’t go that direction.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I saw Pete running up with an axe to cut the hard line, I thought "If this kills Jonas and he's for real dead now, I'm gonna be super pissed."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s actually the coolest thing Pete’s ever done on the show because it’s arguably the LEAST SELFISH thing he’s ever done on the show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

When I saw Pete running up with an axe to cut the hard line, I thought "If this kills Jonas and he's for real dead now, I'm gonna be super pissed."

I'm almost certain this is what happens. Remember the successful Rusty from another dimension after the New York two-parter? Remember how it turned out the ORB was broken a hundred years ago? Remember the time the Ventures split up and recovered pieces of a machine from all over the world and it ended up meaning nothing? They've got a series-long track record of resolving things in the most anticlimactic way possible. It would be practically anti-Venture Brothers for them to resolve a central mystery like finding Jonas' head in a jar and have it be the slightest bit consequential.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Phenotype posted:

I'm almost certain this is what happens. Remember the successful Rusty from another dimension after the New York two-parter? Remember how it turned out the ORB was broken a hundred years ago? Remember the time the Ventures split up and recovered pieces of a machine from all over the world and it ended up meaning nothing? They've got a series-long track record of resolving things in the most anticlimactic way possible. It would be practically anti-Venture Brothers for them to resolve a central mystery like finding Jonas' head in a jar and have it be the slightest bit consequential.

In 20 years they actually had an alien come and save the world from another alien, so it didn't really mean nothing. Also I love The Ever Popular Pete White

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s actually the coolest thing Pete’s ever done on the show because it’s arguably the LEAST SELFISH thing he’s ever done on the show.

Agreed. And besides, nobody told him not to stop the hack--he was told to stop it.

And if you look at how he appears at the end of the episode, it looks like he's been through a bit of hell. Prior to the last scene, when we last saw him, he was just in his regular attire (maybe with a lab coat?), and steam was filling the room. I assume it's steam, anyway--with that place, God only knows! Speaking of which, I was actually wondering if it was God Gas. Anyway, when he comes up to stop the hack, he looks like a guy who has been in a haunted building survival movie. Something happened down there. Maybe. I mean, he could have also dressed up purely for dramatic effect. That subject did come up, after all.

One thing I can't get over is how terrified Brock is throughout the episode. I have to admit, it's nice to see a character who is almost always so confident and subconsciously self-aware of his plot armor suddenly deal with something that he's just not prepared to deal with. It reminds me of Archer's reaction to being waterboarded. Just some fun character work right there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeaaah I would not be surprised if Pete killed him. I mean what do you if you do bring back Jonas Sr back? This is Rusty’s show :v.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TK-42-1 posted:

In 20 years they actually had an alien come and save the world from another alien, so it didn't really mean nothing. Also I love The Ever Popular Pete White

Oh yeah, he killed the Ignore Me guy! Still though, he shot a guy, then he didn't like Rusty's attitude so he showed them his true form to terrify everyone and told them all to gently caress off. And was never heard from again.

I'm just saying, it's best if you don't get your hopes up as far as mysteries on this show are concerned.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

Agreed. And besides, nobody told him not to stop the hack--he was told to stop it.

And if you look at how he appears at the end of the episode, it looks like he's been through a bit of hell. Prior to the last scene, when we last saw him, he was just in his regular attire (maybe with a lab coat?), and steam was filling the room. I assume it's steam, anyway--with that place, God only knows! Speaking of which, I was actually wondering if it was God Gas. Anyway, when he comes up to stop the hack, he looks like a guy who has been in a haunted building survival movie. Something happened down there. Maybe. I mean, he could have also dressed up purely for dramatic effect. That subject did come up, after all.

One thing I can't get over is how terrified Brock is throughout the episode. I have to admit, it's nice to see a character who is almost always so confident and subconsciously self-aware of his plot armor suddenly deal with something that he's just not prepared to deal with. It reminds me of Archer's reaction to being waterboarded. Just some fun character work right there.

Pete was also conked on the head and knocked out by helper

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Yeaaah I would not be surprised if Pete killed him. I mean what do you if you do bring back Jonas Sr back? This is Rusty’s show :v.

Send him to Spider Skull Island.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dispatch from the book:

Publick had a plan for an old Team Venture movie at one point.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It would absolutely suck if they killed Jonas just like that after 6 seasons. It wouldn't even be funny, it would just be lovely story telling. So let's hope not!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alan_Shore posted:

It would absolutely suck if they killed Jonas just like that after 6 seasons. It wouldn't even be funny, it would just be lovely story telling. So let's hope not!

You clearly don’t get the show then.

Edit: They always drop things people thought seemed important. The Orb, the sovereign, etc

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 6, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly haven’t cared about Jonas Sr. For like 10 years. We get it, he’s a genius super scientist and maybe the worst dad of all time. Honestly, that’s funny enough for me. Between Team Venture, the lab, the space station, spider skull island, we have so much Jonas content and elaboration on what is an incredibly simple premise.

Basically just give me straight Blue Morpho//Red Death lore from here on out

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bust Rodd posted:

I honestly haven’t cared about Jonas Sr. For like 10 years. We get it, he’s a genius super scientist and maybe the worst dad of all time. Honestly, that’s funny enough for me. Between Team Venture, the lab, the space station, spider skull island, we have so much Jonas content and elaboration on what is an incredibly simple premise.

Basically just give me straight Blue Morpho//Red Death lore from here on out

Exactly this. Like we already know so much about him that suddenly his back up plan fails it’s like yeah that’s Venture for you. I’m more interested in the direction they are going with resolving the Blue Morpho arc.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The book has some interesting stories about that. If you believe the book, it's less about the show loving to give you an anticlimax for its own sake, Homestuck-style, and more about the writers not really caring about things like ORB in and of themselves. To them, ORB was always interesting because of what it told you about the organizations of pro- and an- tagonists (namely, that they descend from the same organization, and that the good guys and bad guys are part of the same family).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Since the first three episodes are apparently a conclusion to the Blue Morpho story, they could have Hank realize it's The Monarch and find some way to make it look like he killed him but let him escape to lay low for a while. Then the rest of the season could be Jonas rebuilding his body and arching Rusty because he became evil after being stuck in the PROBLEM for so long. Hell, they could bring back Vendata (if he indeed is the original Blue Morpho) and have the two team up to be evil. Have Jonas Sr take over the Venture Compound in Colorado, rebuild it, and have it be successful again. Meanwhile, Rusty continues to run JJ Jr's company into the ground to show that any of these places can be successful, but Rusty can not.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
my book shipment got delayed even though I ordered with prime what the gently caress is the point of prime. worse you cant get angry about it because "its free as a part of your prime membership"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

my book shipment got delayed even though I ordered with prime what the gently caress is the point of prime. worse you cant get angry about it because "its free as a part of your prime membership"

You can usually complain and get a free month of prime.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I believe that Doc and Jackson may well alter how they write in order not to get pigeonholed - see the whole "show is about failure" thing.

I could see Jonas Sr dying at the end of the arc, but the interesting bit is that Rusty is shown to care about his father despite what had been shown before.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Are you kidding me? Jonas is nothing like the Orb or sovereign. He's not a macguffin. He's the reason Rusty, hell the whole Venture universe, is the way it is. There's no way they'd just toss him aside for a cheap laugh. The fact they brought him back at all means they should be doing something interesting to further Rusty's, maybe even Monarch's development. It's like YOU don't watch the show!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, if this was the last we see of Jonas in the story I'd leave feeling pretty unsatisfied, which was never the case with any of the other anticlimaxes. They've still got another episode to wrap it up, though, so maybe it'll feel better after all the parts are wrapped up.

I think Jonas having a continued presence on the show could be interesting, however, because despite being introduced as a sort of lovable bad-dad scamp from another era, he's been revealed to be a pretty unredeemable guy over the course of the show. Him as a straight-up villain wouldn't feel right to me either, though. Not sure where they could go with that but I'd be excited to find out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I could see him taking over Ventech, pushing Rusty out which scales back his lavish lifestyle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dropping things like ORB and the Sovereign is one thing, but the entire show is based on Rusty's unresolved daddy issues. Everything in the show came from Jonas. Addressing those things will allow the show to move on into new directions.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I could see him taking over Ventech, pushing Rusty out which scales back his lavish lifestyle.

Yeah, basically resetting the show back to Season 2 or 3 or so. Because nothing says "we're moving this show forward" quite like replacing a dead character with a functionally identical new character and putting everybody back where they were a few seasons ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Which is why they should flip the script and have Jonas build up his own business from the ground up and still beat Rusty.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bull3964 posted:

They wanted Rusty to, in their words, “win the lottery” and Jr dying was the most obvious way of doing it. Having Sr. come back and take over Venture Industries would defeat the whole point.

I don’t think we’re gonna see much of Sr. in the present after this episode. It was pretty much them deciding to answer one of the biggest questions fans had, and in a particularity clever, unpredicted way too boot.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 6, 2018

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
As much as they make up stuff as they go along, Jonas is such an important part of the backstory - both to our main cast and the universe at large - that I'd be shocked if they didn't have some inkling of what his fate was - even if they never planned to reveal it - when they started the show, and even more so if they never bounced around some ideas between themselves as the series went along. Like, granted, I'm not saying that I think they had this particular reveal/answer planned out, but I'd be really surprised to learn they never had a working canon explanation for what happened to him in their minds at any point during the prior seasons.

feedmyleg posted:

I think Jonas having a continued presence on the show could be interesting, however, because despite being introduced as a sort of lovable bad-dad scamp from another era, he's been revealed to be a pretty unredeemable guy over the course of the show. Him as a straight-up villain wouldn't feel right to me either, though. Not sure where they could go with that but I'd be excited to find out.

Jonas is an absolute monster and easily the worst character, morally speaking, on the show. Dude was just an egotistical, abusive, poo poo. I think it's kind of like why people say Umbridge from Harry Potter stands out as the most hated villain; like Jonas, she's a more realistic type of real world monster that many, if not most, of us can sadly say we have had to experience. While, in contrast, I doubt any of us have had to deal much with costumed aggression.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, basically resetting the show back to Season 2 or 3 or so. Because nothing says "we're moving this show forward" quite like replacing a dead character with a functionally identical new character and putting everybody back where they were a few seasons ago.

If you think JJ is identical to Jonas, I don't know what show you're watching. Personally I'd love to see Rusty interact with Jonas as an adult, try to unpack all that poo poo he's been holding in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think some of the series strongest episodes were the ones where Rusty deals with his unresolved issues around his father and we see how capable he really is, that's what makes him a sympathetic character for me. When he is about to sign the contract and become his brother's Arch, that entire episode is literally about Rusty coming to terms with his own manhood and birthright through the lens of his father.

Reintroducing Jonas Sr. and making him like a character on the show has to potential to undo all of that and Rusty losing all his cool new toys because his alpha male dad shows up sounds like the lamest possible direction this series could go, and bringing his dad back from the dead just so Rusty can go "No gently caress you Dad I'm a successful super scientist and i love my kids and you were the worst father ever! I love you goodbye!" sounds like, only marginally better to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I could see Rusty falling back into adventuring-with-dad mode.

They spend a lot of time on how that stuff hosed him up, but there are hints that he also misses it. In the ORB episode where he's solving a mystery with Billy, he gets all amped up and goes "It's the old stuff!" And he talks about how good he was at it a few times.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As much as they make up stuff as they go along, Jonas is such an important part of the backstory - both to our main cast and the universe at large - that I'd be shocked if they didn't have some inkling of what his fate was - even if they never planned to reveal it - when they started the show, and even more so if they never bounced around some ideas between themselves as the series went along. Like, granted, I'm not saying that I think they had this particular reveal/answer planned out, but I'd be really surprised to learn they never had a working canon explanation for what happened to him in their minds at any point during the prior seasons.

From reading the book I got the impression that they spend a LOT of time shooting the poo poo and coming up with ideas. Some of the ideas make it into the show, most don’t. They don’t set up a season plan, they write an episode each (usually in the middle) based around a couple things they had scribbled down either recently or years ago and work backward from there.

So I agree that they probably did have “Jonas is in the PROBLEM box” sticky note somewhere, but it was probably one of a million ideas. Maybe some of the first season “hints” (Bisbee being under he impression that Jonas had discovered the secret of immortality, Jonas’ statue pointing up at the sky) were put in as intentional hints, maybe they looked at those and saw retcon possibilities, maybe the fandom is seeing foreshadowing when it wasn’t intentional.

For what it’s worth, they almost certainly have “the Monarch, Rusty, Jonas Jr, 2421, and Billy are all failed Jonas clones” written down somewhere too but that’s not gonna happen because it’s probably the most popular theory out there and they state in the book they rewrite plot points if someone guesses them.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 6, 2018

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're not bringing Jonas back you maniacs, he's a head in a box and also it would be terrible.

There'll be some resolution to his fate and perhaps Rusty getting another chance to come to terms with his past and parentage, but I will bend over and devour my own testicles if Jonas Sr is brought back to life as a functioning character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

For what it’s worth, they almost certainly have “the Monarch, Rusty, Jonas Jr, 24, and Billy are all failed Jonas clones” written down somewhere too but that’s not gonna happen because it’s probably the most popular theory out there and they state in the book they rewrite plot points if someone guesses them.

Never heard that one before. Why 24 and Billy?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was honestly surprised that (episode 2 spoilers) they went ahead with the Dr Dugong being Wide Whales brother thing because I think everyone guessed that like within a few episodes of the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

If you think JJ is identical to Jonas, I don't know what show you're watching. Personally I'd love to see Rusty interact with Jonas as an adult, try to unpack all that poo poo he's been holding in.

Let's forget the fact that they had the same name and face. JJ was loved by all, immensely popular, crazy smart, and oh yeah, he could parlay that intelligence into an incredibly successful business model. There are differences, of course. JJ had stronger morals; also, he's also shorter and missing an arm. Both he and his dad were accomplished super-scientists who achieved great things both in speculative engineering and in products meant for mass consumption. That's what I meant by functionally identical: the scenario suggested would basically have Jonas doing what JJ was doing a few seasons ago, complete with pushing Doc back down to where he was a few seasons ago. Jonas would be doing the same thing as a character that JJ was doing. Functionally identical.

Now, all of that said, I guess it would be nice to have Rusty interact with Jonas so he could tell him what life has been like since he died. But you need one episode to do that, not a season.