Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

iospace posted:

Apparently Guy Fieri been feeding fire evacuees.

To whom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

iospace posted:

Apparently Guy Fieri has been feeding the fire with evacuees.
fixed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

Apparently Guy Fieri been feeding fire evacuees.

haven't they suffered enough?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I used to think making tortillas was hard until I married a woman from New Mexico who owned a tortilla press

they cost like twenty bucks, I'm all for love but y'all don't need to get on New Mexico Tinder to get easy tortillas

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

bartolimu posted:

Adventures in Vegas Dining.

One of the more expensive restaurants in Chinatown is Sparrow + Wolf, which I think I've recommended here once or twice. It's a prime example of the last ten years of restaurant growth in Vegas - a bright young chef gains experience on the Strip, then leaves to find a place off-Strip and do his (or her) own thing. In this case, it's Brian Howard (formerly of Comme Ca), doing new American with accents from all over the globe - in a Chinatown mall parking lot next to a (quite good) Korean BBQ.

While the decor is a little more industrial-feeling than I prefer for restaurant interiors, Chef Howard's menu has always been broadly welcoming and inclusive. They have tons of veg* options alongside omnivore mainstays like beef marrow bones, braised short rib, etc. - everyone can find something to eat, and it's always delicious. Their cocktail program is nutzo-good too, but that's not the subject of this particular essay.

Last week, despite its inclusive menu, Sparrow + Wolf was singled out by a local vegan group for protest. The group was offended that S+W serves meat. They were offended that S+W has the temerity to serve offal, instead of just sticking to the less-icky bits of the animal. (Underpants Gnome Theory of Animal Use, Step 1: If they use fewer parts, they'll kill fewer animals. Step 2: ?????) They were offended that S+W serves foie gras. They were near-mortally offended at a few photos on S+W's facebook page, including this one of Chef Howard preparing to make head cheese:

"A serial killer and his victim," posted one militant vegan, somehow able to weakly flagellate his anemic fingers at the keyboard long enough to string together a sentence.

And so the vegan group picketed Sparrow + Wolf on Thursday. They announced their plan on social media. They contacted the news media, both food bloggers and TV news. They contacted LVPD to ensure their safety, should any rabid omnivores be so confused by their herd-like milling about as to predatorily attack. They waited until dark to start picketing because it's eleventy-billion degrees outside, and they left well before the restaurant closed because you know Mom likes you to be home by ten on weekdays, otherwise she worries and when she worries sometimes she forgets to pick up that artisan honey-flavored agave syrup you like so much when she goes grocery shopping.

Once their two-hour window of protest was spent, they announced plans to once again picket - this time during DAYLIGHT hours! - on Sunday night.

Chef Howard, wanting to extend an olive branch and encourage dialog (and perhaps to prompt one of the hardier vegans to open hir rheumy eyes and actually see what the restaurant cooks), created a special menu. It was, appropriately, all stuff they would (under normal circumstances) eat.

(shout out to the grilled corn dish that is decidedly NOT expensived-up elotes, btw)

The response was...not what you'd expect. Unless you're acquainted with militant vegans, I suppose.

Chef Howard, his family (including several members who live out of state), and some of his employees received abusive text messages and phone calls. Chef Howard in particular received at least eight death threats. An army of about five social media-savvy vegans descended on Yelp and Facebook, generating a legion of (okay, eleven) ONE STAR REVIEWS in an effort to destroy the restaurant's credibility.

And, well, word got around.

I have a lot of friends in the culinary world, and word got around on Saturday that vegans were literally threatening to kill a man for cooking animals. And that poo poo ain't right. So I did what I always do when faced with that kind of catastrophically idiotic behavior. I made a reservation for Sunday night. 6:45, bar seat. One of my friends made a 7:00 res, and a couple of others said they'd try to drop by for drinks after a while. People want to threaten one of the best chefs in town? The only response is to show up and Eat. That. Food.

Industry folks - especially those in tourism-driven towns - know Sunday nights are the graveyard shift of the restaurant biz. You're lucky if you get a full station ever. Some of your customers will be hungover and surly. It's never a good night, and you're never busy. Except maybe late night, when other places are closed, if you work at the kind of restaurant other chefs go to after work.

So when I pulled up to Sparrow + Wolf at 6:40 on a Sunday night, past a line of ten or so protesters and an equal number of counter-protesters (some carrying signs like "My Body My Choice," "Your Mom Loves My Meat," etc.), and a very bemused-looking quartet of LVPD's finest, it was a surprise to find the parking lot full, and the restaurant's small waiting area filled nearly to capacity. The bar was standing room only, with many Vegas food scene luminaries hanging out, talking, and drinking. I saw Bryant, the owner of Starboard Tack; a couple of bartenders from Atomic Liquors; Al Mancini, one of the last remaining decent food writers in town; and several other chefy types all merrily drinking and chatting.

"I'm sorry," said the host, "but there's going to be a slight delay in seating you. Would you like a table? I can probably seat you immediately at a table."

Oh, no, that's fine. I'll wait for bar space. I'm just going to wander in and say hi to a couple of people, let me know when something opens up.

Poor guy seemed genuinely upset he couldn't find a spot for me right away. I was thrilled. This is what community support looks like.

My friend with the 7:00 reservation arrived, and in the end he seated us together at the bar around 7:15. Not a bad wait for what had become the hottest ticket in town overnight. And the wait was definitely worth it.

Over the next two and a half hours, we - my 7:00 friend, plus two others who came from a drink and joined us for a meal, plus half of the people sitting at the bar who joined and left at various points - enjoyed one of the most engaging and wonderful meals I've ever had. We ordered dishes, passed them around, fed each other from forks and spoons and knives. We ordered the beet tartare and the beef heart tartare, and both were delicious. We had the kombu braised carrots, which may have been the best carrots I've ever eaten. We had the hamachi charpaccio, with charred grapes and fennel pollen and supremes of orange and a surprisingly heavy sprinkle of powdered Sichuan peppercorn that left our mouths tingly and slightly numb. We got the bone marrow with whole-leaf parsley and homemade bread. We got the beef cheek and marrow dumplings, and after the dumplings were gone (it took all of five seconds; some of them may have broken the sound barrier as we scarfed them down), we ordered a shot of bourbon, stirred it into the marrow and fat and sauce left on the plate, and poured it down the beef bone into each others' mouths. We ate the goddamn foie gras, and the scallops, and a half dozen other things that sounded good. We drank their cocktail menu, one at a time, everyone getting at least a sip of each. We were a spectacle.

We were a community.

And unlike that other community, that other spectacle - the one outside, waving signs and threatening lives and going home by ten - we were happy. I, in particular, was happy because of them. I hadn't planned to go out on Sunday. But I did, because a member of the community was threatened. And it was a pretty great night. So thanks, violently militant vegans. You did some good with that protest.

Get your asses to Sparrow + Wolf, people. It's a drat good place.

Great write up, and a very on-point review of the food scene in Las Vegas. Also, I'm convinced we've been at the same bar together at some point, I'm fairly regular at Starboard Tack and know Bryant, did a couple of pop-ups in his parking lot. Friend of mine is starting at S+W soon, excited to get over there and get down on some goodness. Chef Howard is crushing it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Great write up, and a very on-point review of the food scene in Las Vegas. Also, I'm convinced we've been at the same bar together at some point, I'm fairly regular at Starboard Tack and know Bryant, did a couple of pop-ups in his parking lot. Friend of mine is starting at S+W soon, excited to get over there and get down on some goodness. Chef Howard is crushing it.

Are you the BBQ guy? If so, I've shaken your hand and bought your food. (It was loving great btw.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went to the Ohio State Fair today, because I had a day off before 7 days on. A little over 5 miles walked, and I ate a pronto pup, chicken in a waffle on a stick (which was underwhelming,) a fresh banana pepper stuffed with cheese & sausage with marinara, and buckeyes wrapped in bacon, battered & deep fried. And I won a $250 tablet. Plus I got in for free which was pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

bartolimu posted:

Are you the BBQ guy? If so, I've shaken your hand and bought your food. (It was loving great btw.)

Ah, I wish, black tiger bbq is dope, good dudes. Just did some pizza pop ups during World Cup games.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I didn't do any WC games at Starboard, unfortunately. Stanley Cup games were great there. I just got stuck working during most of the WC games due to time difference, and watched the rest in spots closer to home.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I need advice on the most photogenic soup and a sandwich! Please help me!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
This is tangentially food related and I want to share my misery. My house got hit by lightning about 2 months ago. It took out two TVs and two cable boxes. Don't care about the cable boxes, that was Comcast's issue. As for the TVs I've been wanting to upgrade to 4K so it was just inconvenient timing. I thought that was all that got hit.

Then this past weekend my daughter asked me to make ribs.

Ribs that are in a deep freezer in my basement.

The unholy stench that was contained therein could be used as biological warfare.

The now emptied (they wouldn't take it full) chest is awaiting the trash service next to my house. Turkey vultures are circling my driveway trying to figure out where the carrion is. That was something worse than a Stephen King novel. Pro-tip, if you get your place hit by lightning, check your appliances that aren't checked often. Either that or just burn the drat thing down.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Manuel Calavera posted:

I went to the Ohio State Fair today, because I had a day off before 7 days on. A little over 5 miles walked, and I ate a pronto pup, chicken in a waffle on a stick (which was underwhelming,) a fresh banana pepper stuffed with cheese & sausage with marinara, and buckeyes wrapped in bacon, battered & deep fried. And I won a $250 tablet. Plus I got in for free which was pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

:unsmith:

Croatoan posted:

The now emptied (they wouldn't take it full) chest is awaiting the trash service next to my house. Turkey vultures are circling my driveway trying to figure out where the carrion is. That was something worse than a Stephen King novel. Pro-tip, if you get your place hit by lightning, check your appliances that aren't checked often. Either that or just burn the drat thing down.

:smith:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Croatoan posted:

My house got hit by lightning about 2 months ago.

Ribs that are in a deep freezer in my basement.

We had that happen when I was a kid, and no amount of eucalyptus oil soaked in a rag around my nose blocked out the smell entirely while I cleaned it.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I need advice on the most photogenic soup and a sandwich! Please help me!

I can't help you with your problem but I can thank for the idea for a delicious lunch.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rip ribs, rip freezer. :rip:
The tablet is pretty nice and neat at least.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

We had that happen when I was a kid, and no amount of eucalyptus oil soaked in a rag around my nose blocked out the smell entirely while I cleaned it.

Your parents made you clean it? You must have been a naughty goon...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I paid my kid to do it for $20. I just had to buy neoprene gloves and a charcoal mask. gently caress her clothes smelled horrible though. Washed out in the end. She was stoked, she had been saving for a switch and that was the last little bit she needed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was a big thing post-Katrina when all these people had fridges that had no power (and were under water) for weeks, if not months.

They were told to tape them shut and dump them on the side of the road because the insides were a toxic mess.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hopper posted:

Your parents made you clean it? You must have been a naughty goon...
I thought it'd be funny to make a Tarzan swing from my bedroom window to the neighbor's yard using a very loose and dead branch that was right above my stepfather's project car and it turns out that very loose and dead branches fall from trees when you swing on them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ouch. Did it do much damage?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hopper posted:

Ouch. Did it do much damage?
I've become kinda immune to the stench of rot, even 16 years on, so that's something. Also it was just surface level stuff, so I had to learn how to sandblast and powdercoat the hood to fix what I done did.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Help me out. I'm making turkey shawarma thing tonight and i have some zucchini to use. I was thinking about serving it in the pita with the meat, maybe do a quick pickle? Any better ways of incorporating zucchini and shawarma that you can think of?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Help me out. I'm making turkey shawarma thing tonight and i have some zucchini to use. I was thinking about serving it in the pita with the meat, maybe do a quick pickle? Any better ways of incorporating zucchini and shawarma that you can think of?

Shave it long and marinate it in oil and heavy seasoning. Quick pickle sounds good too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you have yogurt? Tzatziki, my dude.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Except that's cucumber, not zucchini

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Do you have yogurt? Tzatziki, my dude.

Thought about that but I’m already making a tahini sauce and so tzaziki felt unnecessary. Would be an interesting twist though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Marinated-Zucchini-and-Green-Bean-Salad

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Zucchini-Fritters-Kolokitho-Keftedes

either would be a fine side or could be incorporated into a sandwichy thing with shawarma

quick pickle is good too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Except that's cucumber, not zucchini

:doh:

I mean uh, yeah it's how all the cool kids are doing it these days :c00lbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Roasted with oil and a splash of sherry vinegar to caramelise the edges.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

Roasted with oil and a splash of sherry vinegar to caramelise the edges.
What's a good brand of I'm-actually-going-to-cook-with-it-on-a-weeknight sherry vinegar? I haven't been impressed with the few inexpensive ones I've tried, but I haven't sampled many.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You know how if you overcook zucchini it turns into mush? I've made baba ghanouj with zucchini mush before, it's pretty good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I accidentally made double the amount of stuffing needed for a roast, I need ideas for the leftover.

It's chopped spinach, sauteed mushroom and garlic, and a tiny bit of bread crumb.

Edit: nvm gonna mix with ricotta and stuff in those fleshlight pasta tube things

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 5, 2018

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Stuffed mushrooms?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I accidentally made double the amount of stuffing needed for a roast, I need ideas for the leftover.

It's chopped spinach, sauteed mushroom and garlic, and a tiny bit of bread crumb.

For regular stuffing at least, I'd do something like mix it with leftover mash, maybe an egg, make little fried potato cake patties?

Or mix it with butter and garlic, do a chicken kiev kind of effort.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Stuffed tomatoes and onions

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I had almost an identical mushroom sautee on a dutch baby a few weeks ago. It was choice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scientastic posted:

British food can be good, the food culture here has improved an enormous amount since I was born. Jamie Oliver is a lowest common denominator huckster, who ruins good food by trying to make literally everything quick and easy for people who never cook. And to those who claim the only spicy food we eat is curry, I would suggest you have your next corn dog dipped in English mustard.

English mustard is not spicy. :stare:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I really enjoy truffle oil recently, as just an undertone to salad dressings, or a last minute add to a mushroom sauce or whatever.

anyone got any favorite brands or anything that stands out? I'm sure whatever I'm using is made from those fake chinese truffles. I mean it tastes good, so there's that, but always wondering if I could be doing better.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

English mustard is not spicy. :stare:

Compared to French's it certainly is. What death mustard are you used to that makes Colmans taste bland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Joël Robuchon has passed away at age 73. This sucks.