Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
join us now and share the foot-food
you’ll be free hackers
you’ll be free-ee-eeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
does arch just grab the latest version of every project from its maintainers and build that?

why not?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Mr.Radar posted:

we also decided to rewrite our client software in c#/winforms with a proprietary closed-source widget toolkit layered on top which doesnt play nice with mono or wine. (oh my god how i wish i could go back and convince them to go with c++ and qt instead.)

nah c#/winforms was a good decision and rewriting in javascript is a very bad idea.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Fiedler posted:

nah c#/winforms was a good decision

shaggar plz

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

yep. it's debian that's the odd one, gentoo and arch are pretty close to upstream. nbsd's referring to the time before systemd. gentoo is pretty good selinux wise too

uhh what

the popular linux is based on debian

what upstream are gentoo and arch close to?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

uhh what

the popular linux is based on debian

what upstream are gentoo and arch close to?

The original developers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Distributions are a stupid idea and they only exist because Linus doesn't want to take responsibility for his kernel.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Distributions are a stupid idea and they only exist because Linus doesn't want to take responsibility for his kernel.

💯

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fragmented efforts and the countless hours of literal busywork is just Freedom and Choice

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

Aren't the debían project leads like completely insane though?

How so?

Ok there was that one time they had a pointless slapfight with the cdrecord dev and produced that wodim garbage that made coasters and everybody hated it and they had a tanty and stopped maintaining it.

Or that one time they had a pointless slapfight with the deb-multimedia guy because users preferred his repository and engaged in a competitive renumbering and dependency conflict war to discourage them until users en masse pinned it higher.

Surely those were just the bad apples.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You'd think the OpenSSL fiasco would be a pretty big lesson about Debian's patch culture but they seem to keep ignoring it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still like the "oh, well, we wouldn't have just ignored your post asking if it was okay to change on our mailing list if we knew who you were" from the aftermath, requesting a Civilization-style "OUR WORDS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!" disclaimer on every post by people at distros/OEMs ever.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when debian replaced ffmpeg with avconv or whatever the gently caress was stupid as hell

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Subject: Re: Re: FYI: debian-legal is discussing the inclusion in the Debian archive of "erotic" interactive fiction depicting the sexual abuse of children

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Remember when the maintainer of the debian chromium package suddenly decided to disable all browser extensions with no way to re-enable them through the ui

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852398

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

does debian still rename all of mozillas stuff?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

how about when the xscreensaver developer got so annoyed with bug reports for ancient debian builds that they snuck in a security warning about out of date versions into the password prompt

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

does debian still rename all of mozillas stuff?

No, the iceweasel saga is over. I'm not sure how it was negotiated but I always thought Mozilla had a legal case against it.

pram posted:

when debian replaced ffmpeg with avconv or whatever the gently caress was stupid as hell

Ah I forgot that. That was the initial spur for many users to use deb-multimedia for a usable ffmpeg package. Avconv was as hosed up as the wodim poo poo too, it was terrible.

Progressive JPEG posted:

how about when the xscreensaver developer got so annoyed with bug reports for ancient debian builds that they snuck in a security warning about out of date versions into the password prompt

What an embarrassing shitshow that bug report is. Apart from the technical issues around things like systemd and selinux, it was the fait accompli nature of Debian "policy" that sparked the initial flamewars over them.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gently caress the systemctl bash completetion is slow and painful. friendship ended with systemd. now *checks notes* lovely bash scripts are best friend

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
use the service command, that one autocompletes instantly and redirects to systemctl automagically

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

I finally got to the end of that bug report and the maintainer was actually the sane one. And then much amusement as the bug tracker succumbed to spam.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lenovo joins lvfs! shocker

https://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2018/08/06/please-welcome-lenovo-to-the-lvfs/

update your firmwares i guess

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
apparently gnome is dropping theme support:
"I would rather see GNOME evolve as a platform and become a little less developer-hostile by dropping support for third-party themes, than stagnate." https://samuelhewitt.com/blog/2018-08-05-moving-beyond-themes

predictably a lot of people are up in arms about this instead of just finally making the correct choice and switching to the superior desktop environment, the k desktop environment

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

Aren't the debían project leads like completely insane though?

it's all committees reporting to committees

there's not really any "leadership" per se because that is not a function that a committee can reliably perform

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

Ah I forgot that. That was the initial spur for many users to use deb-multimedia for a usable ffmpeg package. Avconv was as hosed up as the wodim poo poo too, it was terrible.

ffmpeg got forked because the guy who owned the ffmpeg domain name wasn't playing nice with the other developers, and a bunch of them hosed off and created libav. normal free software slapfight there

cdrecord got forked to wodim because the author of cdrecord is completely loving batshit insane. for many years he had refused to "support" linux because solaris is obviously the only desktop unix anyone should care about, but then he went a step further in his sun fanboy-ism: he relicensed cdrecord to the sun license

wodim is now the active project and cdrecord is one crazy guy's hobby on solaris

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not that it just got forked. its that debian replaced the contents of the 'ffmpeg' package with avconv. which was absolutely not a drop-in replacement since a lot of the flags were completely different

so youre trying to install one thing and getting something subtly different like youve fallen into another dimension. the debian experience

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yep sounds pretty normal for a free software slapfight

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My Linux history is long and full of distributions.

From Slackware, Gentoo, Debian, LFS, Ubuntu, Mint, Redhat, CentOS, Mandrake, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora, and many others I am forgetting; Let me tell ya, Debian based distros always seem OK at the start, but every single one has a subtle way of breaking random poo poo. I have never EVER had a good experience with a Debian (non "stable) based distribution after the 6~ month mark.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

its not that it just got forked. its that debian replaced the contents of the 'ffmpeg' package with avconv. which was absolutely not a drop-in replacement since a lot of the flags were completely different

so youre trying to install one thing and getting something subtly different like youve fallen into another dimension. the debian experience

i look forward to microsoft updates becoming like this soon. we already have the "supposed security updates break everything" experience from bad distros on windows now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

My Linux history is long and full of distributions.

From Slackware, Gentoo, Debian, LFS, Ubuntu, Mint, Redhat, CentOS, Mandrake, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora, and many others I am forgetting; Let me tell ya, Debian based distros always seem OK at the start, but every single one has a subtle way of breaking random poo poo. I have never EVER had a good experience with a Debian (non "stable) based distribution after the 6~ month mark.

yeah the only bistro I ever used on a desktop for more than a month per install was gentoo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah the only bistro I ever used on a desktop for more than a month per install was gentoo

When I used Gentoo the distro was less than 6 months old at the time, and you had a fairly lengthy set of instructions to get it going.
I remember setting up the compiling and going to bed, hoping that my ATHLON XP wouldn't explode during the night.
Once it was set up though, it wasn't that bad!

These days I use Fedora and CentOS/RHEL because I don't want to wait for things to compile.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 6, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

When I used Gentoo the distro was less than 6 months old at the time, and you had a fairly lengthy set of instructions to get it going.
I remember setting up the compiling and going to bed, hoping that my ATHLON XP wouldn't explode during the night.

These days I use Fedora and CentOS/RHEL because I don't want to wait for things to compile.

yeah this was also like 13 years ago

been on macOS since I got a real job because I like having wifi and sound

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah this was also like 13 years ago

been on macOS since I got a real job because I like having wifi and sound

I have MacOS in a KVM with GPU passthrough. I have never had a issue with it, and it runs at native speeds.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

I have MacOS in a KVM with GPU passthrough. I have never had a issue with it, and it runs at native speeds.

how did you get this working

did you have to install some hinky pirate patch

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i've tried the macos on non-mac laptop route. it's hell to get it working, and an even greater hell to keep working when an update arrives. it feels like a lot more of a time wasting chore than compiling packages on gentoo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i just want to be able to compile my fart apps in a vm instead of keeping a special laptop that does nothing but compile fart apps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

i've tried the macos on non-mac laptop route. it's hell to get it working, and an even greater hell to keep working when an update arrives. it feels like a lot more of a time wasting chore than compiling packages on gentoo

why would you think a Linux distro would have a different experience from other Linux distros?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how did you get this working

did you have to install some hinky pirate patch

If you have two video cards (I suggest a RX560) and a IOMMU compatible processor/board, it's pretty easy.

Set up GPU passthrough using VFIO and follow the steps on:
https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM

I update MacOS like normal (Never had an issue), can use XCode/iOS simulation, and even iMessages work. I have two HDMI switches so I can run "macos.sh" in my terminal, flip the inputs, and use MacOS all day, it's pretty slick. MacOS auto-logins and runs synergy at startup as well. :smug:

Tankakern posted:

MacOS on a non-mac laptop is horrible and I wish it upon nobody.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 6, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

i remember gentoo completely making GBS threads itself every time there was a perl update somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

yes yes yes