Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It was nice to enjoy the 4th and not fuss with a grill. Pulled pork finished on a kettle grill and I also decided last second to do some burgers with my anova. Pretty awesome how easily that is for batch cooking for 20 people.

I meant to post this when I first saw it
http://reddit.com/r/sousvide/comments/8vcikz/four_ny_strip_steaks_for_dinner_tonight_i_love_my/

Dude isn't trolling and people were defending his cooking at 154 degrees

If the dude wants a well done steak let him enjoy his terrible steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Started doing sous vide corn on the cob a few weeks ago, and it's way better than any other method I've done. sometimes finish with a quick sear on the grill, but it's not necessary.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Started doing sous vide corn on the cob a few weeks ago, and it's way better than any other method I've done. sometimes finish with a quick sear on the grill, but it's not necessary.

i unironically microwave my corn. its fine.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

You don’t need to cook corn that much, honestly rub it with butter and wear it on the grill raw.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are gigantic $300 sous vide machines but this dweeb has two of them and an Anova?

Edit: How would you describe the taste/texture of sous vide corn vs traditional cooking methods?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah, I’m not scoffing at SV corn, but I’m curious what it brings to the table... mind sharing ?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea it’s super crisp and adding butter/herbs to the bag really infuses the flavors into the corn. Definitely better than any other technique I’ve done

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, let’s talk time and temp then!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yea it’s super crisp and adding butter/herbs to the bag really infuses the flavors into the corn. Definitely better than any other technique I’ve done

Interesting, I wouldn't think the texture of a corn cob would change significantly at all vs. just soaking & grilling normally. I might have to try it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK, let’s talk time and temp then!

187f for 30 minutes from kenji
194f for 20 minutes from Chefsteps

183f/84c appears to be the bare minimum, as that's the temp where pectin breaks down

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hauki posted:

Interesting, I wouldn't think the texture of a corn cob would change significantly at all vs. just soaking & grilling normally. I might have to try it.

I find that grilling makes it softer than even boiling (if you don’t overboil), so I can see it.

Elizabethan Error posted:

187f for 30 minutes from kenji
194f for 20 minutes from Chefsteps

183f/84c appears to be the bare minimum, as that's the temp where pectin breaks down

Thanks!

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea I do 187 for 30.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If one were inclined to use a steak rub, do you just put it on, let it sit, bag it up, then puddle it, then pat it, then sear? Or does having rub on it change the steps?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I puddle, sear and then throw a pat of butter on top of the steak and hit it with Montreal seasoning.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Feenix posted:

If one were inclined to use a steak rub, do you just put it on, let it sit, bag it up, then puddle it, then pat it, then sear? Or does having rub on it change the steps?

personally I would just put it on, bag it, proceed as above, penetration or whatever you want to call it seem to happen a lot faster in a vacuum

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hauki posted:

personally I would just put it on, bag it, proceed as above, penetration or whatever you want to call it seem to happen a lot faster in a vacuum

Word. That’s what I would expect but for some reason a tiny part of my brain was like “you’ll just sear the rub into a burnt char mess...”

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Feenix posted:

Word. That’s what I would expect but for some reason a tiny part of my brain was like “you’ll just sear the rub into a burnt char mess...”

I mean, it does carbonize to some extent, but I prefer the carcinogenic flavors of rub & sear vs. barely cooked dry spices to finish

compound butters are alright though

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I haven't done a SV steak in awhile so I picked up a prime ribeye and decided to torch it while pan searing as well. I couldn't get myself to make a proper side but this was still incredibly tasty:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In the middle picture, I’m guessing the top was the searing side and the bottom was the torch? Torching takes so long that I’d worry about the pan over cooking.

Would def eat that steak though.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Subjunctive posted:

In the middle picture, I’m guessing the top was the searing side and the bottom was the torch? Torching takes so long that I’d worry about the pan over cooking.

Would def eat that steak though.

Yeah, I pan seared both sides but I think you're right that the top in the picture was the one that sat in the pan a little longer while I torched the other. It wasn't quite edge-to-edge red because of that but the additional crust was well worth it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. One of the 2 little buttons that need to be depressed for it to work was stuck so only one was clicking

So I took out my Foodsaver today, haven't used it since earlier this year, probably. It won't turn on. It doesn't seem to be getting power at all because the little light doesn't even come on. It's not the outlet I'm using, that's working fine with other appliances. The cord is intact and looks fine (I don't even use it that much). It's an older, simple model, V850. Anyone run into this before?

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 12, 2018

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is sous vide a good way to heat up a large amount of cold brew coffee? Like any risks health or damage tonthe machine wise?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

swickles posted:

Is sous vide a good way to heat up a large amount of cold brew coffee? Like any risks health or damage tonthe machine wise?

Yes! I do 1/4 cup coarse ground beans with 4 cups of water. Submerge at 150 for 2 hours in a mason jar.

Done a few batches of some locally roasted beans and it’s been might tasty.

Edit: just realized you said heat up cold brew. No experience in that, sorry.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 12, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

swickles posted:

:raise:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's also an excellent way to melt chocolate bars and drink them, like an animal

insert hershey's flavored vomit joke here

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

swickles posted:

Probably not for any reasonable interpretation of "large amount" - sous vide is slow to heat to the point that I end up heating water on the stove to get things going.

If you have the time, though, I would think you would be better off putting your coffee in separate gallon ziplocs or similar and letting the sous vide circulator just circulate water. I don't think there's a lot of risk either way, but why take the chance on gumming up your circulator?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah don't put other liquids through your circulator

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sous vided and chimneyed spare ribs. They're good, but smoked is better.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just got an oyster blade steak, which I think is the same thing as a flat iron. It looks like the recommended cook time is pretty standard (129 F for 2 hours), but should I adjust for the fact that this thing is a foot long? I don't think the recommendations I've seen are for 1 foot long steaks. To be more precise, the measurements are something like, 1 foot long, 4 inches wide, and the height tapers from 3 inches down to 2 inches. I'll probably cut it down to two strips that are half a foot each, though.

----

Unrelated, I just did my first 48 hour sous vide (133 F) on some chuck and it turned out pretty okay. Next time I might try to cut it into 3 and do 24/48/72 for comparison, but I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Argue posted:

I just got an oyster blade steak, which I think is the same thing as a flat iron. It looks like the recommended cook time is pretty standard (129 F for 2 hours), but should I adjust for the fact that this thing is a foot long? I don't think the recommendations I've seen are for 1 foot long steaks. To be more precise, the measurements are something like, 1 foot long, 4 inches wide, and the height tapers from 3 inches down to 2 inches. I'll probably cut it down to two strips that are half a foot each, though.

Length doesn’t matter. You just care about whatever the smallest dimension is (in your case 2”-3”, which is fine).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Sous vided and chimneyed spare ribs. They're good, but smoked is better.

Those look like bear paws

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those look like bear paws

Lol, yeah. For some reason Japan refuses to just sell an uncut rack of ribs.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Argue posted:

Should be fine, but I don't see you having any issues by leaving it in longer either. If I was making it, I would probably shoot for 3-3.5 hours and adjusting future cooks based on how it comes out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Joule on sale for $150 until end of Tuesday https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?mc_cid=6dd14ef857&mc_eid=c7ea5762a5

I have no experience with other devices, but I can say I love mine.

e: I saw one Prime Day notification that said Anova wifi + bluetooth was $70 but it looks like $130 to me. http://a.co/j3M89mR

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 16, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I did a side-by-side. Kenji's but at 186°F vs. 3 minute microwave corn on the cob. For the microwave, I put it in a glass tupperware so I could simulate being "in a bag" with the butter and herbs, and let it cool covered so the steam and residual heat could potentially achieve the same thing as SV.

Tasting these side-by-side, I'd say the sous vide had moderately better texture but was moderately less sweet. Could be a difference in the individual cob to start with, so next time I'll cut in half so it's a better control. I'd also like to try searing at the end SV vs microwave, and SV + searing vs. grilling in husk.

For now, I'd say great if texture matters more to you than sweetness and you don't mind cleaning your SV gear (+ I clean and re-use ziplock bags so it's a bit of a pain)

e: I messed up a tag

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 17, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BrianBoitano posted:

Joule on sale for $150 until end of Tuesday https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?mc_cid=6dd14ef857&mc_eid=c7ea5762a5

e: I saw one Prime Day notification that said Anova wifi + bluetooth was $70 but it looks like $130 to me. http://a.co/j3M89mR

70 off. Good deal!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

BrianBoitano posted:

Just the 800w bluetooth version, at 75USD:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_4jstBbDGZN90F

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I did a side-by-side. Kenji's but at 186°F vs. [url=https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-corn-on-the-cob-in-the-microwave-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-205204]3 minute microwave corn on the cob[url]. For the microwave, I put it in a glass tupperware so I could simulate being "in a bag" with the butter and herbs, and let it cool covered so the steam and residual heat could potentially achieve the same thing as SV.

Tasting these side-by-side, I'd say the sous vide had moderately better texture but was moderately less sweet. Could be a difference in the individual cob to start with, so next time I'll cut in half so it's a better control. I'd also like to try searing at the end SV vs microwave, and SV + searing vs. grilling in husk.

For now, I'd say great if texture matters more to you than sweetness and you don't mind cleaning your SV gear (+ I clean and re-use ziplock bags so it's a bit of a pain)

Great experiment. Yea for me texture is really important so I think it’s worth it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have suggestions on a vacuum chamber sealer to buy? Whatever Vacmaster fits my budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on a vacuum chamber sealer to buy? Whatever Vacmaster fits my budget?

No idea but I remember someone saying to get the oil free kind because they are lower maintenance I believe.