Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Roosevelt posted:

i drove a 94 dodge caravan a long time ago. it was nice and roomy. i could have slept in it pretty comfortably when the back seat was taken out.

i drove a minivan from that era when i was in high school as a hand me down from mom. my younger sister would die of embarrassment whenever she had to drive it but i liked it. it had seating for 8, so you could stuff all your dumb buddies in it while going out and doing stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

if you need something in the 200-mile+ ev-only range, the chevy bolt

it looks like everything the model 3 was supposed to be except cool

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

hmm... i kind of like the concept of thosenot totally reliant on just battery power in a pinch.

you're thinking of the volt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

seriously, look at that goofy fuckin' thing

it's like philipe's car from achewood

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, it's not a pretty car, but it literally does everything the model 3 does except have a tesla logo on the hood, and you can buy one today for $3x,000 and it will not come with chipped paint or peanut shells in the trunk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's too bad GM has no designers who know how to make a desirable looking product

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

you're thinking of the volt

oops. yeah.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

imagine how goofy a jonny ives car would look

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, it's not a pretty car, but it literally does everything the model 3 does except have a tesla logo on the hood, and you can buy one today for $3x,000 and it will not come with chipped paint or peanut shells in the trunk

you mean i'm gonna have to pay extra for peanut shells?

loving chevy, always nickel and diming you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

it's too bad GM has no designers who know how to make a desirable looking product

it also inexplicably has regular incandescent turn signals, which is just bizarre to me. LED lighting on an electric car is a total no brainer

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

akadajet posted:

no door handles and the battery (sold separately) goes on the roof

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you want a modern minivan buy a subaru crosstrek

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

milled out of a solid block of aluminum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one of the best better-to-beg-forgiveness car periods i had was when my parents took my younger brother to the grand canyon when i was on freshman winter break in college. i got to drive the purple '95 caravan for two weeks all over central arkansas and yeah we had 3 rows and would load everybody up and cruise. had the v6, was fine. tons of room. fuckin blast

the other was when my goth roomie bought a lincoln town car, looked over at his 88 mazda 323 hatch and said "Hey this has expired tags and no insurance. Wanna drive it?" holy poo poo that was fun

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it also inexplicably has regular incandescent turn signals, which is just bizarre to me. LED lighting on an electric car is a total no brainer

i can't imagine that it's a very expensive feature to implement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

holy loving poo poo are you GOD DAMNED SERIOUS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yep, and it's really obvious because the brake lights are LEDs. the brakes come on instantly but the turn signals fade on and off like they do

very weird

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

milled out of a solid block of aluminum

he would attempt to make a featureless primitive of some kind

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yep, and it's really obvious because the brake lights are LEDs. the brakes come on instantly but the turn signals fade on and off like they do

very weird

my 2018 accord is the same way. led everything except for the turn signals and map lights

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

lol no. unless you plan to throw it in a lake after your battery life drops off a cliff in the second year

i know like 30 people who drive nissans leaf and every single one of them leases.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i know like 30 people who drive nissans leaf and every single one of them leases.

nissan leaves

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nissan :getout:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i tried that at first but living in toronto has broken my brain

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
let's do it, yospos mongol rally 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/alligatorperformance/videos/1724459580934623/

wait for it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/alligatorperformance/videos/1724382467609001/

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how is this musk’s like 5th start up and their 3rd vehicle? it seems so much like this is their first go at it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

the door of a billionaire's car

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

idg why you think it’s inexplicable tho, cheap car implies cutting costs wherever you can, so borrowing a low duty cycle incandescent lamp (ie one where you don’t care about the extra power) from some other existing ICE car makes a ton of sense

reusing parts is the gm way

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

akadajet posted:

bring back lomarf car for 2019

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
dymaxion car but electric

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

spacesex had another successful launch; it's pretty telling that the company where just due to it being rocket science musk has to stay hands off (beyond shaming the employees who don't work 90 hour weeks anyway) is actually good at what it does, while the one where he thinks he personally knows better than the entire rest of a trillion dollar established industry is producing shoddy garbage

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

although iirc he initially wanted the falcon heavy to have fuel crossfeed from the boosters to the central core but that got scrapped which almost certainly means there was at some point a very serious meeting where his top engineers sat him down and told him that he can't just promise to include things from kerbal space program

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

this isn't true at all! they just don't work on chevys.

i want to say the bmw i3 is a good ev, too, but only 180 mile range even with the optional extender (gas engine)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 7, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

although iirc he initially wanted the falcon heavy to have fuel crossfeed from the boosters to the central core but that got scrapped which almost certainly means there was at some point a very serious meeting where his top engineers sat him down and told him that he can't just promise to include things from kerbal space program

just add struts until it works

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it is made with rocket parts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i want to say the bmw i3 is a good ev, too, but only 180 mile range even with the optional extender (gas engine)

it's also goofy as gently caress, even compared to the bolt

it's like a wizard turned a pug into a car

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shaggar posted:

gonna be good times when it hits -30 and they pvnrt someone's skull inside-out instead of guillotining them properly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

they know what is what but they dont know what is what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asparagus staging could probably be done irl but there are more important problems to fix first.