Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

jit bull transpile posted:

Noice. I used to support meditech in my help desk jockey days and it seemed like trash. Also I love how y'all use a language forked from mumps that has somehow become even more terse and indecipherable than the source language.

Please teach us MAGIC

i will teach you the ways of ~MAGIC~ if you can teach me how to escape this place. MAGIC $T is the one that is kind of like mumps, everything is a B tree. there is also magic fs which is terrible in completely different ways.

Here is something in $t that will print the fibonacci numbers under 10000. Note the left to right assignment using a ^, which looks like a little arrow in a magic terminal. # is a "prefix", which just outputs things to the terminal.

0^X,1^Y,D(13,10)^#,DO{X<10000 X^Z_D(13,10)^#,X+Y^X,Z^Y}

edit: the D(13,10) are just cr-lfs i put in there so that it would print out real pretty.

Mahatma Goonsay fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

looks like i've got myself a (limited, part time, contracting) rust job and i'm very pleased. in addition to rust i'll also get to put MIT on my resume which is cool, i think.

whats the big deal i use the mit licence all the time

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gonadic io posted:

whats the big deal i use the mit licence all the time

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

i will teach you the ways of ~MAGIC~ if you can teach me how to escape this place. MAGIC $T is the one that is kind of like mumps, everything is a B tree. there is also magic fs which is terrible in completely different ways.

Here is something in $t that will print the fibonacci numbers under 10000. Note the left to right assignment using a ^, which looks like a little arrow in a magic terminal. # is a "prefix", which just outputs things to the terminal.

edit: the D(13,10) are just cr-lfs i put in there so that it would print out real pretty.

Holy poo poo. ^ is the prefix for globals and routines in mumps and that's making this really hard to process for me.

Also i escaped by posting about mumps until a goon got Stockholm syndrome and gave me a job

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

looks like i've got myself a (limited, part time, contracting) rust job and i'm very pleased. in addition to rust i'll also get to put MIT on my resume which is cool, i think.

congrats!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

congrats!

thx2uall

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yay :yotj:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

lmao what is this, perl?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao what is this, perl?
no it's MAGIC, like they said

http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-meditech-magic-385.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

"X^Z_D(13,10)^#" is like
code:
print(str(x) + "\r\n")
z=x
or something?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

:thejoke:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This stupid website never accepted my mumps 99 bottles :(

code:

d n q,Q,x
    s q=+q,x="s Q=+Q+1,x=""f  s q=q+1 q:(q>(99-Q))  s x=""""k Q n Q  s x=""""""""s Q=+Q s x=""""""""""""""""f  q:q=Q  w $$Q(q) w ! s q=q-'Q"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    x x x x x x x x x x
    q
Q(q) n Q
    s q=q_" "
    s Q=q_"bottles of beer on the wall, bottles of beer. Take one down and pass it around,"_q_" bottles of beer on the wall."
    q Q

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

This stupid website never accepted my mumps 99 bottles :(

code:
d n q,Q,x
    s q=+q,x="s Q=+Q+1,x=""f  s q=q+1 q:(q>(99-Q))  s x=""""k Q n Q  s x=""""""""s Q=+Q s x=""""""""""""""""f  q:q=Q  w $$Q(q) w ! s q=q-'Q"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    x x x x x x x x x x
    q
Q(q) n Q
    s q=q_" "
    s Q=q_"bottles of beer on the wall, bottles of beer. Take one down and pass it around,"_q_" bottles of beer on the wall."
    q Q

there's not even a swift version, i think it's been abandoned

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

there's not even a swift version, i think it's been abandoned

That's too bad. I submitted it like 6 years ago at this point.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

teach me how to escape this place.

do you know any non-moon languages? if yes, apply to literally every job listing that mentions that language. else, learn a non-moon language.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

a language forked from mumps that has somehow become even more terse and indecipherable than the source language.

the mind recoils in horror

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Congrats!!! That is super cool

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

mystes posted:

"X^Z_D(13,10)^#" is like
code:
print(str(x) + "\r\n")
z=x
or something?

yeah _ is the concat operator and the ^ assignment operator can both be chained so if you did 1_2^A^B^C, all A,B and C would be 12. Also the language is what I would call militantly untyped. there is no real distinction at all between strings and numbers and you get hilarious behavior if you multiply 3 * "hello" or something like that.

the comments on this one are pretty great.

Fiedler posted:

do you know any non-moon languages? if yes, apply to literally every job listing that mentions that language. else, learn a non-moon language.

I know javascript and react pretty well. im pretty much a full stack dev, but all my back end knowledge is completely worthless. I get a lot of recruiter spam for web dev jobs, but I really am not great on the css/design side of things.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so lets say i did fake my death and moved to belize, wouldn't flying to belize be recorded and they'd find out I wasn't dead?

wouldn't it be best to go to another country, fake death there, then go to belize, possibly using fake identification?

asking for a friend.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

so lets say i did fake my death and moved to belize, wouldn't flying to belize be recorded and they'd find out I wasn't dead?

wouldn't it be best to go to another country, fake death there, then go to belize, possibly using fake identification?

asking for a friend.

go to latvia, fake your death, and walk over to lithuania

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

move to belize via canoe

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/6/4/17424666/russian-journalist-who-faked-death-arkady-babchenko

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/30/faking-your-own-death-takes-work--and-lots-of-cash.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/philippines/articles/philippines-the-global-leader-for-faking-own-death/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playing-Dead-Elizabeth-Greenwood/dp/1476739331

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Lexicographically, before > after, start > end, pre > post.

English is bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PleasureKevin posted:

Then don't fly there.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Just fake your Belize and move to death then.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SpaceAceJase posted:

Yo, what's a good ETL/workflow engine for parsing CSV files, and doing stuff like error trapping at certain steps?

Js or PHP options please. I'm a terrible proframmer

i don't know what ETL means but I used https://github.com/box/spout the other day it worked OK for some CSV parsing
edit I looked up ETL and hey I do this poo poo all the time. drat.

cowboy beepboop fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 7, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
etl as the word was most popular in the mid to late 90's

etl the activity is getting to its zenith of popularity now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ugh writing an event system for this DOS game’s UI that won’t bite me in the rear end later

player clicks the FIRE button (which is technically a window)
window manager looks up the object at those coordinates, sees it’s the fire button, and forwards the event to the button
the button does whatever a regular button does when clicked on (redraws itself if it needs to or whatever)
the button (not being a subclass of Button) has no defined OnClickEvent action so it sends the event to its parent
the parent’s a custom window class so it sees that it has an event from one of its children
it looks up what it should do, calls FireAllMissiles() and eats the event

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

homercles posted:

English is bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

etl as the word was most popular in the mid to late 90's

etl the activity is getting to its zenith of popularity now

apparently etl means something other that slurping up data from somewhere, fiddling with it, and putting it in a database but i can’t for the life of me figure out how it’s different

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

raminasi posted:

apparently etl means something other that slurping up data from somewhere, fiddling with it, and putting it in a database but i can’t for the life of me figure out how it’s different

wait, it doesn't? wtf

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i always understood it to mean extract transform load i.e. slurp tweak dump

much like my sex life

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it’s like hadoop but pays less

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

raminasi posted:

it’s exactly that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

data binge and purge

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SpaceAceJase posted:

Yo, what's a good ETL/workflow engine for parsing CSV files, and doing stuff like error trapping at certain steps?

Js or PHP options please. I'm a terrible proframmer

SSIS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

raminasi posted:

no that's it. extract transform load

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
goddamn logstash literally has a literal 12 minute startup time

Apparently it's written in jruby and the plugins are written in Ruby itself which get evaled a bunch

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

written in jruby and the plugins are written in Ruby itself which get evaled a bunch

agh whhhhhhyy

there are better ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

goddamn logstash literally has a literal 12 minute startup time

Apparently it's written in jruby and the plugins are written in Ruby itself which get evaled a bunch

the performance of ruby, the simplicity of the jvm. what’s not to like