Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Lemon bars sound so good ... I think my leftover yolks are going to become lemon curd :neckbeard:

RandomPauI posted:

I don't know how dumb an idea this is, but I figure I can make macaroons using Mexican hot chocolate since it already has a lot of sugar along with vanilla and cinnamon and a nice nutty flavor.

I still want to do something that has orange and another flavor marbled together.

I don't think it's a dumb idea :) You could probably safely substitute Mexican hot cocoa mix for the sugar that gets mixed with the almonds... Or make a buttercream filling out of it.

For the orange marble cookies, maybe try a pinwheel cookie? If you want them to actually be marbled, you could just knead the rolled-up dough a few times and re-form it into a log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

You want to make orange-and-something macarons, or just some kind of cookies? For cookies I'd make something fairly stiff like a shortbread or sugar cookie, make two kinds of dough, roll each one into a flat sheet, stack 'em, roll up, slice cute little spirals off the end. Orange pairs well with chocolate, almond, cranberry, cardamom, most tropical flavors...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232799/chef-johns-lemon-bars/

This has been my go to since 2016. It is my most requested item of anything I bake, and I bake soooo much. My friends had me bake for their wedding, I watched a gentleman come up to the table and be disappointed by the lack of lemon bars (after 2 double batches, 64 squares!). He scraped up all the goo and scraps he could with his hand and shoveled it in his mouth.

I’m gonna try some of these others, but this one is reaaaaaal good.

So, I have a 4.5qt KitchenAid stand mixer but it’s not big or powerful enough for double batches. I’m considering the 6qt professional 600 series. Any thoughts? Caveats?

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I celebrated finally getting my kitchen in order post-wedding by making a bundt cake.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

A friend gave me a bag of cherries he wasn't going to eat, so some Almond Cherry Bars were in order! Today I learned that there is definitely such a thing as too much icing. I'll halve that part of the recipe next time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I made the smitten kitchen blondies recipe except apparently I either chopped the chocolate I was gonna add too finely, had too much of it, or added it in when the mixture was still too hot, because I got brownies instead. :(

Still good, at least, but not what I was hoping for.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Don't look at this thread on a diet. Learn from my mistakes.

Gonna whip up and easy batch of peanut butter oat bars to correct for this, bring them to work to prevent me from eating them all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I have several pounds of peaches that are about to go bad. I want to bake something for my coworkers - I've been bringing something in every week or two, and I've gotten super positive reception. Pie or cobbler, or something else? I also have blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, a few apricots, and tons of rainier cherries to use up in the next week.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have several pounds of peaches that are about to go bad. I want to bake something for my coworkers - I've been bringing something in every week or two, and I've gotten super positive reception. Pie or cobbler, or something else? I also have blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, a few apricots, and tons of rainier cherries to use up in the next week.

Dump cake.

Face God and walk backwards into hell

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
No goodies to post today, I just wanted to announce that I got hired for a side gig baking at a local cafe :dance:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I made muffins today. I have cartoonishly huge tops and the streusel caramelized and fried and it's fantastic.

Blueberry with some orange and lemon zest. About a teaspoon of cinnamon went in the batter, along with a toasted star anise. Flavor is great, and the texture is out of this world. I meant to put almonds in there too, but I couldn't find my slivered almonds. I may have used them already. I didn't feel like blanching almonds, so c'est la vie.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Gonna need that recipe. I hosed up muffins pretty bad the one time I tried to make them from scratch.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sure.

Sally McKenney - Sally's Baking Addiction posted:

STREUSEL TOPPING
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup (40g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (60g) butter, cold

MUFFINS
3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, at room temperature (see Sally Says, right)
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar
1 cup (240ml) milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup (215g) fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

1 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a 6-count jumbo muffin pan* with non-stick spray or line the cups with muffin liners. Set aside.
2 MAKE THE STREUSEL TOPPING: Combine the granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the cold butter and mix around with a pastry blender or your hands until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
3 MAKE THE MUFFINS: In a large bowl, gentlsy toss together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
4 In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until combined. Mix in milk, oil, and vanilla. The mixture will be pale and yellow. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix everything together gently by hand. Avoid over-mixing, though no big pockets of flour should be remaining. The batter will be extremely thick and somewhat lumpy. Fold in the blueberries.
5 Pour the batter into prepared muffin tins, filling all the way to the top. Top each with streusel. Bake at 425°F for 5 minutes and then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the temperature to 375°F and continue to bake for 25–26 minutes until the tops are lightly golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. The muffins taste best eaten the same day, though you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

There was way too much streusel, but as you can see the results were delicious anyways. Removing them felt precarious, but there was no danger at all of tearing - the tops are just so disproportionate that it feels like there isn't much underneath.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sure.

There was way too much streusel, but as you can see the results were delicious anyways. Removing them felt precarious, but there was no danger at all of tearing - the tops are just so disproportionate that it feels like there isn't much underneath.

Thanks!

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Thanks for this! Blueberries were on sale yesterday so I made a batch of these last night. These are easily the best blueberry muffins I have ever made! The texture and flavor were on point, the blueberries didn't all sink to the bottom, and the height was really impressive!

And not that "too much streusel" is a real problem, but I thought it made just enough streusel for 16 regular sized muffins.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I love Sally so I’ll try it out.

How does using a fridge/freezer for a few minute affect things? Stuff in my 13x9 pan takes hours to cool if I just let em sit but yesterday and Monday, I threw my lemon bars and brownies in the freezer and fridge respectively and was happy w the results. I let them cool normally for 40+ minutes and then stuck em in the cooler for like 3 min. Just want to make sure I’m not screwing anything up.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Made lemon bars last night. Went with the smitten kitchen recipe (no offense to the other recommendations, next one I try will most likely be the one FGR posted).

Through some miscommunication, half the lemons we got for this were used by my sister who was visiting. Ms Cookies suggests hey, we have limes, instead of calling this a loss, why don't we try to make half of them lime bars? Because of the lemon mishap, I ended up folding a bunch of tinfoil and sticking it in the pyrex to make a little dam to keep the lemon and lime fillings from mixing. It worked out pretty well. Hooray for emergency creativity. Well they smell drat delicious, but I had to go to bed before they were completely done cooling. I'm so drat excited to slice them up and eat some when I get home.

Ms Cookies and I made cookies as Christmas gifts for all our friends, and it went over well enough that we're probably doing the same this year.

Last year there were
-Pfefferneusse
-Spumoni (cherry/chocolate/pistachio)
-Pistachio
-Cardamom-cinnamon sugar cookies
-Nutballs
-Struffoli

I think we're getting rid of the spumoni since people only liked them for the pistachio part, which is redundant anyway. They look pretty and add some color but ehh. Not well received. I think adding some lemon bars in there might be different enough. We also have a bunch of raspberry preserves from the garden this year, might make some thumbprint cookies.

Tentatively this year is
-Pfefferneusse
-Pistachio
-Cardamom-cinnamon
-Nutballs
-Struffoli
-Lemon Bars
-Raspberry thumbprints

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 17, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Lemon on the left, lime on the right. Ended up with twice as many as pictured.

They might not be lookers but they taste pretty dang good.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I made a skillet cookie. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, although I had to bake it a fair bit longer than the instructions said to get it to not be complete mush.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rotten Cookies posted:

Lemon on the left, lime on the right. Ended up with twice as many as pictured.

They might not be lookers but they taste pretty dang good.

I've been wanting to try out lime bars, how did they turn out?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I've been wanting to try out lime bars, how did they turn out?

You know, pretty good, actually. All in all they were very good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made jelly pigs (literal translation), basically yeast dough similar what you make doughnuts from, except this is turned into squares that you fill with jelly or apple sauce. Pic is kinda lousy, only snapped it before bagging up and freezing everything. I made like 30 pieces.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Did these back in February:

From https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/lacy-brown-butter-and-ricotta-cookies.html -- these are crazy good, crazy rich, and crazy easy. I suggest not using BOTH the pod and extract as she recommends, the turn out overpoweringly vanilla if the pod isn't completely used up already.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I desperately need any advice for rolling cookie dough. I suuuuuuck.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I desperately need any advice for rolling cookie dough. I suuuuuuck.

Like getting it even or keeping it from sticking or what?

For getting it even, you have two options: practice or those silicone thickness rings that go on your pin. I'm in the "practice" camp but I was a professional baker for several years so...

As for getting it to not stick, just use more flour dusted on the counter, the top of the dough, and your pin.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The school year has started again, I'm in a new apartment and I'm back to spoiling my coworkers.

Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Ms Cookies made some biscotti yesterday, and I decided to make some firnee. She went for a raspberry flavor in the biscotti, but either didn't use enough extract or the stuff we have is weak? Next time I make firnee I'm going to use less cardamom (I never thought I'd say that) and grind my pistachios so there's a couple chunks still left in. I liked the spoonfuls where there was a little cronch in there.

Now I know firnee isn't a cookie, really, but..... it turns out that dipping biscotti in firnee is loving amazing.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 17, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anyone got good recipes with white chocolate chips? Don't have to be cookie based. It's just rare that I have something with white chocolate that I think 'this wouldn't be better with regular chocolate.'

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bogart posted:

Anyone got good recipes with white chocolate chips? Don't have to be cookie based. It's just rare that I have something with white chocolate that I think 'this wouldn't be better with regular chocolate.'

America's Test Kitchen posted:

Cranberry, White Chocolate, and Macadamia Cookies

2 cups (10oz) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup packed (7oz) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup (6oz) white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries, chopped coarse [I don't bother chopping]
1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.

2. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg and yolk and vanilla and beat until combined, scraping down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low, slowly add flour mixture, and mix until just combined, Add chocolate chips, cranberries, and macadamia nuts and mix until incorporated.

3. Working with 2 tablespoons dough at a time, roll into balls and space them 2 inches apart on prepared sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are set but centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cookies cool completely before serving.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bogart posted:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/09/01/white-chocolate-pumpkin-snickerdoodles/

These have been well received at 2 offices!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Made a batch of flourless peanut butter cookies I posted upthread with a mix of milk chocolate and mini semisweet chips. I also added a little extra salt to counter the chocolate. Definitely had to take the remainders into the office to get them out of reach.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've spent the last couple weeks coming up with some new recipes:

Pumpkin Spice Cranberry Muffins, a hybrid of the Sally's Baking Addiction blueberry muffin recipe and the pumpkin blueberry muffin recipe from a book I grabbed at Walgreens:

White Chocolate Chili Lime Scones, off the King Arthur Flour scone recipe base we use at work:

Pumpkin Spice Date Pecan Scones, also from the same recipe base; we're gonna be selling these starting next week

(the chili lime ones are too much of a pain in the rear end for me to even suggest selling them)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cookie team, ASSEMBLE:

What's the best way to turn this mix I got,

https://www.krusteaz.com/products/cookies/butter-vanilla-sugar-cookie-mix

Into a vanilla chai sugar cookie?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You have a vanilla sugar cookie mix and you want to turn it into vanilla chai sugar cookies? Follow the mix directions and add chai spices. What am I missing?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I need a little direction.

I'm not a baking wiz

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

The Bananana posted:

I need a little direction.

I'm not a baking wiz

Do you have chai spices?
Google "chai spice cookies" and compare the amount of mix you have to the amount in a recipe. Add as much chai spice to your mix as there is proportionate to the recipe you choose from google. Or add slightly less for safety. Taste the dough. Add more possibly.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Scudworth posted:

Do you have chai spices?
Google "chai spice cookies" and compare the amount of mix you have to the amount in a recipe. Add as much chai spice to your mix as there is proportionate to the recipe you choose from google. Or add slightly less for safety. Taste the dough. Add more possibly.

I'm thinking a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a teaspoon of cinnamon, half a teaspoon each of ginger and nutmeg, and a quarter teaspoon each of ground black pepper and cloves.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Sex Hobbit posted:

I'm thinking a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a teaspoon of cinnamon, half a teaspoon each of ginger and nutmeg, and a quarter teaspoon each of ground black pepper and cloves.

Needs cardamom

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Scudworth posted:

Needs cardamom

quarter teaspoon of that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Toss that stuff into the mix, or should I just roll the as intended balls of cookie dough in the chai mixture just before baking?