Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

America-wise, most of the people who claim to care about white culture can't actually elucidate on what they consider it to be other than "not minority culture" and most of the people who genuinely do care about white culture are actual supremacists.

edit: boy that's a terrible way to start a page; I'm not sure if I can say No Man's Sky is a good game but I have definitely spent like 20 hours playing it in the last several days and I don't know how to feel about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

CarlCX posted:

edit: boy that's a terrible way to start a page; I'm not sure if I can say No Man's Sky is a good game but I have definitely spent like 20 hours playing it in the last several days and I don't know how to feel about that

i bought it on launch and played it for 16 hours before realizing it was a scam. they wouldn't give me a refund

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've never played NMS so no idea how accurate or not this is, but I've read people say that (long after release) it's finally been patched into an actual fun game.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Baron Corbin posted:

it was a scam

Jerusalem posted:

it's an actual fun game.

I think there were credible arguments for both when the game was new but they were slanted in the scam direction, and there are still credible arguments for both today but they're slanted in the fun direction.

It was always a good experience if you liked the platonic ideal of flying around the emptiness of space looking at stuff, but that's not the game they advertised and that was deeply lovely. I played it for about 10 hours after it came out and put it on the shelf until the then-announced updates came. It is much more of a game-rear end game now, there's a lot more stuff to do and there's a lot more variety in the things you can see, but it's also incredibly janky and very visibly held together by duct tape and fervent prayers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

I've never played NMS so no idea how accurate or not this is, but I've read people say that (long after release) it's finally been patched into an actual fun game.

I like the subhead of the Ars Technica review: "The massive space survival game is still a bit of a mess, but now it’s a fun one."

It still doesn't read like it's any fun to actually play, though.

quote:

The problem is that none of this is directly explained—not the uploading, the second kind of currency, nor the multiplier. There is an in-game index that mentions uploading discoveries, but it’s just outdated, now referring to the wrong kind of currency.

That’s just one example. The game is full of oversights just like it. Few are game-breaking; they just make getting from A to B and back again—with the right materials to build your base or upgrade your freighter—more of a hassle than a satisfying loop.

The game’s frequent bugs, however, verge on game-breaking. No Man’s Sky NEXT is riddled with glitches that range from audio hitches while warping between star systems to complete breakdowns in certain quest lines. Periodically, the game starts to think my planetary base is inside a hallway on my freighter and puts an unusable objective marker there. Sometimes my automated frigates get damaged, but their broken components fail to spawn, so I can’t fix them.

So far, simple fixes like saving and reloading or warping the freighter to a new system has set things right. But I’m on pins and needles waiting for the bug that isn’t so easily rectified. Developer Hello Games has been pushing out hotfixes at a breakneck pace, though, and playing on PC means you’ll get them even faster, since those updates don’t have to go through console certification. I’ve personally noticed major performance improvements after switching from a PS4 Pro to a PC as well, including a vastly improved frame rate. Some of that disparity will certainly even out over time, but NEXT seems to have actually made the game run slower on PlayStation.

People seem to have Stockholm Syndrome for this game just because it's been so long since there's been a space sim worth half a drat.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the way they advertised that game, and the initial rollout of it, was really total bullshit, enough that i'll never play it. i was so excited after that first trailer lol

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

yea ok posted:

the way they advertised that game, and the initial rollout of it, was really total bullshit, enough that i'll never play it. i was so excited after that first trailer lol

This is one hundred percent true, and they deserved poo poo for it, but it still baffles me years later that Sony somehow got off scot-free.

Hello Games was basically a dozen people in a room who made one and a half games about doing motorcycle tricks and then had a neat idea for a thing about space boats, and then Sony came in, paid them for exclusivity, put a giant advertising push behind it and touted it as a giant AAA game on network television without actually giving them any additional resources to make or at least QA the loving game, and when Hello was in trouble and had to release the game as-is or they were going to go bankrupt, rather than getting hands-on and trying to protect their investment, Sony just sort of shrugged, and then when it came out and it was a giant mess, instead of standing by them or giving them any support, one of Sony's top executives gave public interviews about how Hello Games hosed up and it was all their fault.

Like, the core problem with the whole thing was a budget indie studio had an idea that was way too ambitious for their resources and it was going to be a trainwreck no matter what, but when the biggest gaming company in the world steps in and makes an indie game by a dozen people one of their biggest marquee titles but lends them no actual support and then shits on them afterwards for not meeting the expectations they helped create, that's kind of hosed, right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CarlCX posted:

This is one hundred percent true, and they deserved poo poo for it, but it still baffles me years later that Sony somehow got off scot-free.

Hello Games was basically a dozen people in a room who made one and a half games about doing motorcycle tricks and then had a neat idea for a thing about space boats, and then Sony came in, paid them for exclusivity, put a giant advertising push behind it and touted it as a giant AAA game on network television without actually giving them any additional resources to make or at least QA the loving game, and when Hello was in trouble and had to release the game as-is or they were going to go bankrupt, rather than getting hands-on and trying to protect their investment, Sony just sort of shrugged, and then when it came out and it was a giant mess, instead of standing by them or giving them any support, one of Sony's top executives gave public interviews about how Hello Games hosed up and it was all their fault.

Like, the core problem with the whole thing was a budget indie studio had an idea that was way too ambitious for their resources and it was going to be a trainwreck no matter what, but when the biggest gaming company in the world steps in and makes an indie game by a dozen people one of their biggest marquee titles but lends them no actual support and then shits on them afterwards for not meeting the expectations they helped create, that's kind of hosed, right?

It was probably intentionally setup to fail in a "Springtime For Hitler" sort of scam

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

yea ok posted:

My bullshit meter on No Man's Sky went off after somebody point blank asked them what the actual game was and they basically gave no answer.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
All anybody wanted was next gen Colony Wars with PSVR support. We got a broke rear end walking sim with spaceships.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Yakuza sidequest with the kid and the video game was extremely :3:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

No man's sky is a scam that turned into a pretty fun game. It's still a bit of a walking simulator and you need to be in the right mind for it but it's fun. It's doing better then Star Citizen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It can't be any worse than Elite: Dangerous, the space trucking sim with occasional space pew pew. I tried very hard to like that game but it sacrificed so much playability for realism that it should have paid me to play.

And yeah, I backed Star Citizen and gave up after like year 2 where you could still only fiddle around in the docking bay(I got a towel, thanks as a backer reward because wtf) or do battle with the KMB controls in the combat sim. Gotta appreciate the industry of grift they've put together, tho.

coconono fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 7, 2018

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Can we get a Yakuza game where we just play as Miss Tatsu?

I'll take any Yakuza game where we get to play as a tough as nails female Yakuza.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

and while we're at it, I want a 2.5d sidescrolling brawler with the new Terry Bogard.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

It can't be any worse than Elite: Dangerous, the space trucking sim with occasional space pew pew. I tried very hard to like that game but it sacrificed so much playability for realism that it should have paid me to play.

And yeah, I backed Star Citizen and gave up after like year 2 where you could still only fiddle around in the docking bay(I got a towel, thanks as a backer reward because wtf) or do battle with the KMB controls in the combat sim. Gotta appreciate the industry of grift they've put together, tho.

Elite is simultaneously a terrible game and also the reason VR gaming was invented. It's a transcendent experience if you're willing to strap on a VR headset and use a flight stick.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

coconono posted:

It can't be any worse than Elite: Dangerous, the space trucking sim with occasional space pew pew.

No Man's Sky is a game where you go from planet to planet (many of which look very similar) trying to gather resources to make it so your space ship has more inventory room to transport goods from system to system, with the occasional space pew pew

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I'll take any Yakuza game where we get to play as a tough as nails female Yakuza.

With a bonus sidequest where you have to fight off a bunch of Joshi heels finishing with Aja Kong

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkkk

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spikeguy posted:

Fuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkkk

What happened?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

fart blood posted:

Remember when Karl Kesel wrote Daredevil?

lol.

Remember when Kevin Smith did, and the whole thing felt like somebody had dared him to make Daredevil throw a baby off a roof?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Found out today that the New Japan Android app doesn't work on Android 9 yet, bummer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

What happened?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

With a bonus sidequest where you have to fight off a bunch of Joshi heels finishing with Aja Kong

Spikeguy posted:

Fuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkkk

It was in response to this as in I really want that. Man when Okada shows up in Yakuza 6....he's just so loving cool!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got account locked on twitter because I said Jack eats cat turds so today has been a great day.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Today I found out there's a movie called Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Today I watched a movie called Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

:stare:

I've seen a lot of weird movies in my time...I got nothin'.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

On Monday I watched a triple feature of Heat, The Emoji Movie, and Goodfellas, in that order.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i rewatcehd mishima last night. always a Treat

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my car is in the shop and it should be ready tomorrow, im torn between just using lyft or getting a rental.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STONE COLD 64 posted:

my car is in the shop and it should be ready tomorrow, im torn between just using lyft or getting a rental.

if your insurance covers rentals, take that poo poo.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you have the disposable income PSVR and Wipeout is worth it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I needed a break from big sprawling open-world games, so I dug through my PC backlog and fired up Wolfenstein: The New Order. I'm pretty sure I got it during some Steam sale or other and just never bothered to play it before, so I fired it up as a bit of a palate cleanser, and man is that game a blast. I love the alternate history/Weird War II aesthetic, and in this day and age it's particularly satisfying to be bringing the pain to Nazis. :hellyeah:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Today I found out there's a movie called Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Today I watched a movie called Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

:stare:

I've seen a lot of weird movies in my time...I got nothin'.

The ending to that movie pissed me off and ruined the whole thing for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i havent played smash bros since melee but wowzers that roster sure is big.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

as long Capt Falcon is on the roster, I'll never be last place.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE
RDR2 looks so good

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

coconono posted:

as long Capt Falcon is on the roster, I'll never be last place.

Every character from every Smash game (and a few more) are gonna be in it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

except for luigi.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Monster hunter world dropped on pc is it worth getting?

Currently playing Yakuza 0 and enjoying the hell out of it but you know have to look at the next time sink.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My favourite thing about Y0 is just how much like Dotonbori the Osaka game world is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Croc posted:

Monster hunter world dropped on pc is it worth getting?

I was really looking forward to getting it but they're charging way too much for it right now, especially considering I still have a bunch of big games to play AND Yakuza 0 (which was cheap!) is eating up all my available gaming time.