Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
PFFT you put the heatsink on the controller, not the NAND. And yes it does help, depending on the SSD controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Looks like a lot of people are reporting those SX6000 drives fail after a while so I'm aiming a bit higher. Anyone used the HP EX900/920 series? Or should I just suck it up and buy a 960/970 Evo?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'd probably just buy a samsung in your position. Not worth the potential hassle over a few bucks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

PFFT you put the heatsink on the controller, not the NAND. And yes it does help, depending on the SSD controller.

It does. My 960 runs quite hot, if there's no offset in the temps it was over 75c loaded.

It dropped to 50deg with a copper video ram sink on the controller. It doesn't throttle now with video files.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looks like a lot of people are reporting those SX6000 drives fail after a while so I'm aiming a bit higher. Anyone used the HP EX900/920 series? Or should I just suck it up and buy a 960/970 Evo?

No probs with my HP 1tb NVME. It's only been three weeks though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, never buy ADATA SSDs. They use the poo poo NAND the major manufactures don't want. That also goes for most genericish SSD brands. Samsungs are solid. I still have all the original 830s running strong.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redeyes posted:

Yeah, never buy ADATA SSDs. They use the poo poo NAND the major manufactures don't want. That also goes for most genericish SSD brands. Samsungs are solid. I still have all the original 830s running strong.

Yeah, how much of a foolish penny pincher one has be to buy the poo poo tier stuff is just only slightly cheaper than big named OEM branded stuff or any <250GB SSD even for an OS drive?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gigabyte 512 GB SSD for $95. Toshiba TLC 64-layer 3D NAND, 512 MB DRAM cache, 200 TBW. Same price as the SanDisk SSD Plus 480 GB on Amazon right now, $5 less than the WD Blue, but otherwise $15-20 less than an MX500 or 860 Evo seem to be. Probably worth a shot. :shrug:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Atomizer posted:

Gigabyte 512 GB SSD for $95. Toshiba TLC 64-layer 3D NAND, 512 MB DRAM cache, 200 TBW. Same price as the SanDisk SSD Plus 480 GB on Amazon right now, $5 less than the WD Blue, but otherwise $15-20 less than an MX500 or 860 Evo seem to be. Probably worth a shot. :shrug:

Looks not bad at all, but once again for why not just pay $20 more for the tested and proven 4K IOPS champion MX500.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Palladium posted:

Looks not bad at all, but once again for why not just pay $20 more for the tested and proven 4K IOPS champion MX500.

why not spend $50 more than that for a NVMe drive? way more IOPS!

saving money by buying something with known substandard quality is a bad idea. saving money by accepting a minor hit on performance (in this case, minor enough that most people won't notice) is a personal decision. don't fanboy.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I wasn't trying to start an argument, just sharing what could be a reasonable deal to some people. $20 isn't a huge difference between a lot of computer parts, but when we're talking about ~500 GB-class SSDs that normally run around $100 ($75-125 depending on model and quality) $20 is around 20%, which isn't a bad discount.

There's a pair of Adata 1 TB SSDs that often go on sale on Rakuten about once a month, and while I know they're considered lower-tier they're still some of the best deals for bulk solid-state storage (media, games, etc.) outside of the Micron 1100 2 TB when it goes on sale for ~$250. I'll link those here the next time they show up.*

Edit: Actually on Rakuten right now the coupon code "SAVE15" is active. You can get the aforementioned Micron 2 TB for $250 or an MX500 1 TB for $153 [this sold out while I was typing] which is around where it was on Prime Day (the price changed a few times.)

*You can also get the aforementioned Adata SU650 960 GB for $136 or the SU800 1 TB for $150. I think they have different controllers but the latter has DRAM, the former is DRAMless. As long as that MX500 is available for basically the same price you'd definitely go with that over the SU800 [see above], but otherwise you'd still be saving a substantial amount ($50+) over the former or say the 860 Evo at normal prices of $200 or above.

The SU650 isn't something I'd use for a boot drive, being DRAMless (although as I've mentioned my gaming desktop has a DRAMless MLC Intel 330 that's been running strong all along) but it's perfect if you're trying to get rid of HDDs and go totally solid-state and you want the most economical drive for your game storage or whatever. The $14 difference between the two Adata's is a little more difficult to justify given that the SU800 is clearly better, but it's still a 10% difference, and if you're looking for the best deal other than that Micron then give it a shot.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 31, 2018

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Hm. Too bad those Rakuten deals are only for the US.

I got my 1 TB MX500 in the mail today and am currently running a 512 GB 840 Pro as my system drive. Would it make more sense to replace the 840 Pro with the MX500 as the OS drive, or just add the MX500 as a secondary drive? I don't think I've tried cloning drives before so I don't know how much of a hassle it is or if that messes with Windows 10's activation or anything.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cloning is really straightforward. I use macrium reflect and it just does it.

I'd put the system on whatever partition structure is simplest tbh. I don't think there is much performance difference afaik.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 1, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grog posted:

I got my 1 TB MX500 in the mail today and am currently running a 512 GB 840 Pro as my system drive. Would it make more sense to replace the 840 Pro with the MX500 as the OS drive, or just add the MX500 as a secondary drive? I don't think I've tried cloning drives before so I don't know how much of a hassle it is or if that messes with Windows 10's activation or anything.

Just add the MX500 as a sec drive. There will be no performance differences between the two outside of synthetic benchmark tools.

Well even Rakuten is kinda spotty for US residents, as they have been known to cancel orders for no good reason. That said I'm been trying my luck to get a $245 HP EX920 1TB NVMe from them; that's even cheaper in GB/$ than my 64GB Samsung microSD I bought a week ago.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/31/nand_oversupply_prices/

Oh BTW we will be entering a glorious golden age of low SSD prices

Palladium fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 1, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Grog posted:

Echoing the sentiments above. Just keep the Samsung as your boot drive for now, you're not going to notice a difference in performance, Macrium Reflect Free works great, and also, in the future when you want to do a fresh install of Windows you can do it to the newest drive then. Windows 10 activation isn't going to be an issue; if it's an OEM copy of the OS then it is linked to the motherboard, and you can change the rest of the hardware (including drives) with no issue.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Alright. Thanks for the advice, everybody. I'll just stick with the 840 Pro as the system drive for now and probably switch over whenever I end up upgrading from my i5 2500K setup.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I’d run the bigger drive as a system drive and use the other one for backup or keeping movies and poo poo on

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I have a bunch of hard drives for that. The SSDs are basically just being used for the OS, programs, and games.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grog posted:

I have a bunch of hard drives for that. The SSDs are basically just being used for the OS, programs, and games.

I figure at some point you'll run out of space on the 500GB drive, you'll have more breathing room with the bigger drive before that happens.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bob Morales posted:

I figure at some point you'll run out of space on the 500GB drive, you'll have more breathing room with the bigger drive before that happens.

He's still putting the MX500 in his system. It's not difficult to shove all your games onto a different drive.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'll be the first guy to admit this is silly overkill, but with the low NAND GB/$ currently I made the jump to dump my remaining 3TB rust platters with new my HP EX920 NVMe 1TB and Micron 1100 2TB together with my existing M550 1TB.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's never overkill to get rid of spinners. Having said that, I hope that Micron 1100 doesn't poo poo itself. I am suspicious based on price.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

redeyes posted:

It's never overkill to get rid of spinners. Having said that, I hope that Micron 1100 doesn't poo poo itself. I am suspicious based on price.

poo poo happens but I'll trust Micron cheap poo poo more than any of the second/third tier vendors. Besides I survived the dumpster planar TLC fire called the Evo 840.

I'm also surprised that has power-loss protection like the MX500 according to Micron's product PDF.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spinners are still good for backups, media and archiving. Do you really need 500MB/s to watch Robocop(1987)?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What kind of question is that. Of course I do.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

oohhboy posted:

Spinners are still good for backups, media and archiving. Do you really need 500MB/s to watch Robocop(1987)?

You are not wrong though. Most of SSD performance gains comes from using it as an OS drive while freeing up precious IOPs on HDDs, and for the typical user the diminishing returns kick in hard afterward.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Adata SU650 960 GB 2.5" for $128 with code AD22. DRAMless and TLC, but fine for those of you insistent on getting all your games & media off HDDs.

Also, if you need an m.2 SATA drive, the WD Blue 500 GB is $84 after code EMCPXPT28 (probably must be signed up for their newsletter with your e-mail address though.) The code is good for $5 off, and the same drive is actually the same regular price (so just $5 more) on Amazon; the price has been on a pretty steady decline for the past several months: https://camelcamelcamel.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0B/product/B073SBX6TY

Finally, the Microcenter Inland 240 GB is $43, up from an all-time low of $40 a few days ago, and the 480 GB version is still $73 (up from $70 a few weeks ago.) The line seems to have been standardized to TLC/DRAMless as of the last teardowns I saw. At those prices the 240 GB is pretty much a given for a "cheap SSD upgrade to the HDD in Mom's laptop" (or whatever) as opposed to the $25-30 120 GB alternatives, and the 480 is a solid, modest game drive if you don't want to splurge on the Adata above (my brother got that SSD for the specific purpose of moving some games off a slow HDD and he's been very happy with it.)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The Silicon Motion controllers + Micron NAND combo undercutting SSD prices at this rate pretty much means nobody smart will be buying a 500GB HDD or any Samsung consumer SSD.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Palladium posted:

You are not wrong though. Most of SSD performance gains comes from using it as an OS drive while freeing up precious IOPs on HDDs, and for the typical user the diminishing returns kick in hard afterward.

Yup, the only reason I want to move over to SSD's now is because i'm playing a new game that has pretty heavy load times on new areas and an SSD helps with that.

For everything else a HDD has been fine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Games have been terrible on HDDs for a long time, I remember all the people complaining about multiple minutes of load times in Battlefield 4. Or all the individual textures and models loading in slowly in World of Warcraft.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Multiplayer non-massive games are fine on HDDs. Loading the map in 2 seconds instead of 20 serves no purpose since the match won't start until everybody is ready anyway.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NihilCredo posted:

Multiplayer non-massive games are fine on HDDs. Loading the map in 2 seconds instead of 20 serves no purpose since the match won't start until everybody is ready anyway.

What, never played a game where classes/weapons are capped and first come first serve?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

isndl posted:

What, never played a game where classes/weapons are capped and first come first serve?

I get around this by playing MT in overwatch.

Nobody wants to play it because they're both "no skill" and "really hard" all in one, so I always get to play it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Depends. With Battlefield (which might be considered a massive game), for example, it works on a threshold-based system: As soon as enough people are loaded in, the match timer starts. Also, this won't help you with joining games in progress.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 7, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no reason not to run any application or game on an SSD if you have the space. Waiting 20 seconds when it could load in 2 isn't really sane.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

oohhboy posted:

There is no reason not to run any application or game on an SSD if you have the space. Waiting 20 seconds when it could load in 2 isn't really sane.

"Faster drives are better than slower drives", thank you for this brilliant post.

Modern apps and games think nothing of asking for dozens of gigabytes, so 'not having the space' on a SSD is entirely possible. Which apps and games get priority for the SSD then becomes a good question (answer: usually apps).

isndl posted:

Yeah, I hate that. I don't exactly enjoy arguing with a bunch of internet strangers about who gets to play the boring support class. One-shot Prisoner's Dilemma isn't a good game.

I do play Overwatch, but like the other dude, I also prefer Mystery Heroes for that reason.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 7, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, gee, why do you have an SSD in the first place with you are happy running everything on spinning rust waiting 20 seconds on an "Non-massive" game? Jackass.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, I hate that. I don't exactly enjoy arguing with a bunch of internet strangers about who gets to play the boring support class. One-shot Prisoner's Dilemma isn't a good game.

I do play Overwatch, but like the other dude, I also prefer Mystery Heroes for that reason.

Maybe you wouldn't hate it so much if you always loaded in first because you installed the game on the SSD. :allears:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

NihilCredo posted:

boring support class

Someone should play more Zenyatta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

oohhboy posted:

Well, gee, why do you have an SSD in the first place with you are happy running everything on spinning rust waiting 20 seconds on an "Non-massive" game? Jackass.

:ironicat: