Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NowonSA posted:

Since I think Travis and Laura are back next week that puts them back at a 6 person table, which is just fine and Ashley Johnson coming back in here and there is just gravy on the mashed potatoes.

Two weeks. Next week is Honey Heist IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

DeathSandwich posted:

Two weeks. Next week is Honey Heist IIRC.

Honey Heist is Friday, there’s a regular episode next week.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Sex. It’s sex! Lots of sex!”

Oh Ashly. :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ending with Lorenzo being unexpectedly blown to smithereens and Keg and Beau going full lesbian is probably the best way a live show could have gone.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
I was at the live show last night and there was such an amazing energy in that room. Also seeing Sam’s costume in person made my life.

I asked Taliesin a question at the unrecorded Talks about how—now that he knows how far guns and explosives have spread—does he think Percy is dealing with his legacy. He answered that Percy is likely spending a lot of time and money to try to contain things but it’s definitely moved beyond his control.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

squidtarts posted:

I was at the live show last night and there was such an amazing energy in that room. Also seeing Sam’s costume in person made my life.

I sense that the moment he rolled out will be cited by several people as a moment of 'awakening' in a few years time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Case closed" might be the new winner of Most Heartwarming Line.

I've never actually watched more than a few minutes live because my work schedule would leave me exhausted every Friday morning, so watching the final battle live without having a recap to prep me was a fabulous experience.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

magmamagda on Instagram. Jester cosplayer.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A friend - “So does this mean Beau had a one night Keg stand?”

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol, Matt was SO MAD that they killed Lorenzo.

Real talk, I’m starting to believe that the entire reason I didn’t really like Molly was that we really didn’t get enough time with him. I liked Percy, and I adore Cad so far, so I assume the entire reason Molly was so comparatively bland (imo) is because Taliesen had something big up his sleeve that he wasn’t ready to unveil. I was honestly kind of annoyed by how he kept avoiding obvious plot hooks, but Taliesen’s other characters are so interesting that I’m forced to assume there was more under the surface that would have created something interesting further down the line had Molly survived.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Real talk, I’m starting to believe that the entire reason I didn’t really like Molly was that we really didn’t get enough time with him. I liked Percy, and I adore Cad so far, so I assume the entire reason Molly was so comparatively bland (imo) is because Taliesen had something big up his sleeve that he wasn’t ready to unveil. I was honestly kind of annoyed by how he kept avoiding obvious plot hooks, but Taliesen’s other characters are so interesting that I’m forced to assume there was more under the surface that would have created something interesting further down the line had Molly survived.

It was probably the fuller reveal of Molly’s backstory, which would have probably been connected to a deeper arc like how Percy got the Briarwood arc for his development.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It was probably the fuller reveal of Molly’s backstory, which would have probably been connected to a deeper arc like how Percy got the Briarwood arc for his development.

I assumed as much, especially since Matt laid the groundwork with that blood cleric. I assume Molly will show up again as an npc later lest all that work go to waste. It’s not the first time he’s died.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I assumed as much, especially since Matt laid the groundwork with that blood cleric. I assume Molly will show up again as an npc later lest all that work go to waste. It’s not the first time he’s died.

if this happens (which i assume it will) it would own if they brought a guest in to play the "new" character, it'd feel even more significant than just having him be another NPC matt is playing

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

I'm kind of disappointed he escaped too tbh. The crowd sounded great but I can't help but feel that the first, real Big Bad that the M9 faced deserved a more exciting conclusion than "welp, he got stunned aaaaand now he's dead". The crowd reaction owned but I feel like the death of an NPC who killed a PC deserved more reflection on how THIS DUDE KILLED A PC. I wasn't really a fan of Molly but I thought they left some potentially great character moments on the table by killing Lorenzo with so little narrative fanfare, which is why I think it might've been better if he was killed off in a proper session - not at a con. Plus, Matt seemed like he was having a lot of fun with his character :(

ashly owned and i hope she becomes a permanent member of the cast at some point. i found out about CR in May (started with campaign 2) and I finally got caught up last week in time for the stream - i really loving love this show. it was my introduction to RPGs and i've even started DMing games for a few friends. <3 CR

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Thom and the Heads posted:

I'm kind of disappointed he escaped too tbh. The crowd sounded great but I can't help but feel that the first, real Big Bad that the M9 faced deserved a more exciting conclusion than "welp, he got stunned aaaaand now he's dead". The crowd reaction owned but I feel like the death of an NPC who killed a PC deserved more reflection on how THIS DUDE KILLED A PC. I wasn't really a fan of Molly but I thought they left some potentially great character moments on the table by killing Lorenzo with so little narrative fanfare, which is why I think it might've been better if he was killed off in a proper session - not at a con. Plus, Matt seemed like he was having a lot of fun with his character :(

ashly owned and i hope she becomes a permanent member of the cast at some point. i found out about CR in May (started with campaign 2) and I finally got caught up last week in time for the stream - i really loving love this show. it was my introduction to RPGs and i've even started DMing games for a few friends. <3 CR

Lorenzo was working for a much larger group and they may want to know what happened to their highly profitable slaver business. Can an oni be rez’d?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

eke out posted:

if this happens (which i assume it will) it would own if they brought a guest in to play the "new" character, it'd feel even more significant than just having him be another NPC matt is playing

Bring on Crispin Glover.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Soylentbits posted:

Lorenzo was working for a much larger group and they may want to know what happened to their highly profitable slaver business. Can an oni be rez’d?

I don't expect that, though it would be fun to see the bad guys do it for a change. Now scrying on the jerks who came in, wrecked the place, and bled all over it? That seems doable.

He totally did have the escape kit to make it happen with at-will invisibility and gaseous form on deck. Works as a way for Matt to improve too, if he wants his bad guys to live to fight another day he needs to remember to have them abuse tactical advantages like flight and that they have an inspiration to burn if they want to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Bring on Crispin Glover.

Well, they might get Crispin Freeman. (Which would be cool too.)

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

btw

https://twitter.com/Im_Sylien/status/1026154955365855233

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is that actually Matt? I can't tell!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Is that actually Matt? I can't tell!

it is!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Soylentbits posted:

Dungeon Mastering 101: If they just killed your arc bad guy, he wasn't actually the arc bad guy.

Matt should go full Devils of Kimon on them. That's the big guy down, now the other seven/however many are on their tail.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I felt like Lorenzo deserved something bigger too but that said, if he was incredibly important to Matt's plot then he would have just added a quiet extra 20 hp and had him use gaseous form to escape. Or he'll just come back like the Briarwoods did. Matt doesn't like cheating the players out of well earned kills but I'm sure if he needed Lorenzo to get away for an upcoming plot to work, he would have.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I mean it's not like coming back from the dead is an especially outrageous act in dnd.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One good rebuttal I saw to "Lorenzo was supposed to get away!" is "So was Molly."

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

chitoryu12 posted:

One good rebuttal I saw to "Lorenzo was supposed to get away!" is "So was Molly."

Yeah, despite feeling bad for Matt and not being a fan of Molly that's a good one. I have faith in Matt recovering from this, he hasn't disappointed yet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kraps posted:

I have faith in Matt recovering from this, he hasn't disappointed yet.

if anything, with his whole slaving operation destroyed, along with all the higher-leveled associates that helped him do it, you can imagine that Lorenzo wasn't expected to live much longer in the narrative after narrowly escaping.

chasing him down and having one last encounter would've been an easy storytelling way to both get satisfaction (with the recovered party members having a chance to get revenge too) and also introduce them to the much more dangerous people that employed him.

but now it's certainly not hard to justify said employers scrying out the party and starting to work against them / hunt for them / move against the Gentleman.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Just finished watching the live show. It was a blast and everyone was amazing (I know there's basically no chance, but I want them to keep Ashly. Please, please, keep Ashly).

Matt's an amazing DM, and even though he was clearly disappointed with the death of Lorenzo, I don't think its a big deal. I've never played dnd, but I'm pretty sure that if your entire plot depends on some certain character getting away alive from a fight, than you've made a mistake, because the players will 100% find a way to screw over your plans, intentionally or not.

I would also love to have an anti-nine that are lackeys of some big-bad that have their own story that intertwines with the heroes, showing up and having conflicts periodically throughout the story, and then becoming a group of penultimate boss fights near the end of the campaign (like go full Turks/Shinra from FF7). I want the entire balls to the wall corny/cliche/awesome JRPG experience.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Talks Machina panel from Gencon, spoilers abound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMYuO49LUX4

Lorenzo was following them around invisible ever since the firecrackers started going off

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Keru posted:

Talks Machina panel from Gencon, spoilers abound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMYuO49LUX4

Lorenzo was following them around invisible ever since the firecrackers started going off

loving WHAT!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I actually guessed that was happening and it makes it that much funnier to realize he witnessed the entire conversation between Beau and Keg about what she was going to say to Lorenzo when she saw him.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I figured he was following the downstairs group invisible since they got to the trapdoor room last session. Didn't think it was literally the entire time.

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I'm pretty sure that if your entire plot depends on some certain character getting away alive from a fight, than you've made a mistake

I would also love to have an anti-nine that are lackeys of some big-bad that have their own story that intertwines with the heroes, showing up and having conflicts periodically throughout the story, and then becoming a group of penultimate boss fights near the end of the campaign

I'm not gonna say whether or not this is a bad idea, but I want you to think very hard about these two things you said back-to-back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: part of the fun of D&D (and other tabletop role-playing games) is nothing ever going to plan. Which isn't to say things can't go to plan, or won't, but there's a certain magic in having to improvise things and rewrite the narrative on the fly. If this were a book or a television show, I have no doubt Lorenzo would've gotten away, to be dealt with at a later time, when the heroes were truly ready to face him - at the end of an arc or a personal journey. But no, Matt made a tactical error, they killed him early, and that's that. Whatever Matt had planned, he's gonna have to retrofit it over something new, and that's cool. Because the truth of it is, until it actually happens, anything can happen.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: part of the fun of D&D (and other tabletop role-playing games) is nothing ever going to plan. Which isn't to say things can't go to plan, or won't, but there's a certain magic in having to improvise things and rewrite the narrative on the fly. If this were a book or a television show, I have no doubt Lorenzo would've gotten away, to be dealt with at a later time, when the heroes were truly ready to face him - at the end of an arc or a personal journey. But no, Matt made a tactical error, they killed him early, and that's that. Whatever Matt had planned, he's gonna have to retrofit it over something new, and that's cool. Because the truth of it is, until it actually happens, anything can happen.

yeah he says basically that he planned for Lorenzo to live a little longer, but not much - he wasn't supposed to be the Big Bad for this arc, that was a real accident. Sounds like it didn't disrupt any larger plans.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

The last game I did over Discord was almost entirely made up on the spot because of the players doing things I didn't expect, like splitting up into 3 groups and having one group chasing a hint that I had thought they'd make much lower priority while only two people went to the major encounter I had planned and ended up doing the whole fight themselves.

The first action scene was supposed to be an elaborate foot chase through the streets, but the bad guy flubbed his first maneuver (sliding over the hood of a car) and the closest PC chasing him failed a roll to tackle him in response. What was supposed to be a long chase through alleys and weaving past traffic immediately turned into a Three Stooges fight scene where almost every attack roll failed, did no damage, or got parried and only ended after a PC burst out of a pile of garbage they had made into an urban observation post and tried to charge in with a sword (in 1955 Baltimore).

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay I am at the Briarwoods arc in the first campaign, but the whole thing seems very weird to me when I compare it to the newer group. Everything still feels very murder hobo and they just keep ignoring poo poo like zombie giants crushing civilians and stuff.

The crew seems actually, on balance, a bit more insane than the M9, who at the very least all have reasons for it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

One of the best bits from the live show was BWF calling out people that do the rules notification poo poo.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Okay I am at the Briarwoods arc in the first campaign, but the whole thing seems very weird to me when I compare it to the newer group. Everything still feels very murder hobo and they just keep ignoring poo poo like zombie giants crushing civilians and stuff.

The crew seems actually, on balance, a bit more insane than the M9, who at the very least all have reasons for it.

Keyleth is there to fix their poo poo. Keep in mind that the M9 don't have a Keyleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Kraps posted:

Keyleth is there to fix their poo poo. Keep in mind that the M9 don't have a Keyleth.

In the briarwood arc when Grog casually tears a guys tongue out with his bare fingers I realized these people aren’t like the M9.