Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Me, last Wednesday: "Hi, I've tried to replicate your issue and can't, can you check whether it's working?"
Them: silence
Me, today, closes ticket.
Them, immediately: "Hello, this now seems to be working, you can close the ticket"

yeah thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DrBrezo posted:

Crap, was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Might have to look into just adding it in at the VM deployment stage and add it to the rest of the existing ones with powershell then

Why? Look at what has logon as service rights natively on the machines and add that to your GPO, this is exactly what GPO is for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Even better, create AD groups and add those groups to the GPO instead, so you don't have to update the GPO each time you create a new service account.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

*twitch*

Oncall rotation started out with a bang. Total silence yesterday, to the point where I had to double-check that the person before me actually switched the list.

This morning I get a call about a failing code push. I have nothing in my email, and no texts. I have the guy forward me the message, and it's addressed only to the programmers that support the push. So then I got to explain how we manage the servers, not the code push processes and that the programmers will reach out to us if there's a specific server issue that we need to address.

Not that bad in the grand scheme of things, just frustrating when "The first people didn't respond, let's escalate to a completely different group!" mentality kicks in.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
User, 4 months ago: Hi we have these issues with your software
Me, 3 months and 3 weeks ago: Okay, I've found resolutions for your issues. Can we reconnect so I can deploy?
User, yesterday: :supaburn: Students arrive Thursday and we need these issues fixed, we told you about them in May!! :supaburn:
Me: :saddowns:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Found out today that the IFS share on the AS400 is using SMB1. I found that out because SMB1 stopped working on Windows 10 without manually re-enabling it.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

gently caress me, brkrprcs64.exe is eating up a huge chunk of my laptop's CPU, all the loving time. It's apparently part of the Symantec Endpoint Protection plugin for Chrome but the god drat thing runs, constantly, even when Chrome isn't open.

The L2 tech is completely useless. When I told him that the process was using so much CPU that it was constantly running down my battery, he said "do you want a new battery?" :rolleyes:

I don't have admin properties to be able to lower the process' priority, so I asked him to uninstall / reinstall both Chrome and Symantec. Dude did zero research on this and I'm ready to strangle him.

So, uhhh, I put a ticket in, I guess?

EDIT: with my luck the dude is a goon and will hate me forever for bashing him, in this thread.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ilkhan posted:

User called me direct to get her out of tablet mode on Windows 10, which she didn't know what it was or how it got turned on.

Monday.

I feel for her, honestly. I can’t count how many times I’ve run into tablet mode not activating when it’s supposed to or activating when it’s not supposed to. I don’t know whether to blame Windows or the hardware but it’s annoying as poo poo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

null_pointer posted:

gently caress me, brkrprcs64.exe is eating up a huge chunk of my laptop's CPU, all the loving time. It's apparently part of the Symantec Endpoint Protection plugin for Chrome but the god drat thing runs, constantly, even when Chrome isn't open.

The L2 tech is completely useless. When I told him that the process was using so much CPU that it was constantly running down my battery, he said "do you want a new battery?" :rolleyes:

I don't have admin properties to be able to lower the process' priority, so I asked him to uninstall / reinstall both Chrome and Symantec. Dude did zero research on this and I'm ready to strangle him.

So, uhhh, I put a ticket in, I guess?

EDIT: with my luck the dude is a goon and will hate me forever for bashing him, in this thread.

there's a management chomre process that you can kill which removes everything.

otherwise I"m assuming it's a managed extension and you can remove in HKCU\software\policies I think.

chrome v67 iirc is also complete dogshit. 1709 and chrome v67 make a cpu unusable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

User called me direct to get her out of tablet mode on Windows 10, which she didn't know what it was or how it got turned on.

Monday.

if you turn on tablet mode via the notification area the control panel settings do not matter!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We stopped getting SNMP traps for a very basic job function of mine. We spent over 3 million dollars on this project a few years ago, but since it's not the current FOTM nobody gives a poo poo that it's broken!

It stopped working because our service contract with the vendor's software ran out. No ETR because it costs money to renew it. Who gives a poo poo about the customer experience anyway?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

gently caress printers and gently caress scan to email, that is all.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there's a management chomre process that you can kill which removes everything.

Just tried this. Now there are two processes, both eating huge chunks of CPU. gently caress me.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Just tried this. Now there are two processes, both eating huge chunks of CPU. gently caress me.

Ah, process whack-a-mole, always fun.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wibla posted:

Ah, process whack-a-mole, always fun.

Sounds like it's time for a nice game of psDooM

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble with a Windows 10 machine since the creators update where it stalls for a good 10 to 20 seconds on startup, either before or after I log in (but not both). It's not on any kind of workgroup or what have you.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Had something similar that ended up with us disabling the Windows Store, but for a long time I thought it was the App Readiness service that was added in one of the recent big patches. Try disabling that and see how it goes.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

GreenNight posted:

Found out today that the IFS share on the AS400 is using SMB1. I found that out because SMB1 stopped working on Windows 10 without manually re-enabling it.

For good reason, in case you're not familiar. Look up wannacry.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sloshmonger posted:

Had something similar that ended up with us disabling the Windows Store, but for a long time I thought it was the App Readiness service that was added in one of the recent big patches. Try disabling that and see how it goes.

Well, unless it was a fluke, that did it.

The App Readiness service wasn’t running and was set to manual, but I disabled it, rebooted, and got such a fast login it was a bit of a shock, since I’ve gotten so used to waiting like it was windows 95 on a 386.

Thanks!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

rafikki posted:

For good reason, in case you're not familiar. Look up wannacry.

No, I know. Management decided it wasn't a big deal. Shrug.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

suuma posted:

User, 4 months ago: Hi we have these issues with your software
Me, 3 months and 3 weeks ago: Okay, I've found resolutions for your issues. Can we reconnect so I can deploy?
User, yesterday: :supaburn: Students arrive Thursday and we need these issues fixed, we told you about them in May!! :supaburn:
Me: :saddowns:

"We had the fix in May. Your lack of follow-through is not an emergency on my part."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As an update to the guy who asked me to delete legal hold copies of emails that circumstantially implicated he stole company intellectual property, it turns out he actually did. He did it as part of a moonlighting gig with a company we had previously collaborated with.

Then he rang me asking if I could retrieve backups of his drive because he had wiped all his data on the system before leaving but had transferred an old copy of his portfolio to USB.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did you ask him for a ticket number?

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

MF_James posted:

gently caress printers and gently caress scan to email, that is all.

Oh my God, yes, especially Toshiba printers. Most of my tickets are for printing and scanning issues and it's making me hate life. :smith:

Speaking of printer issues, a user put in a ticket because when she tried to make copies, the bottom and right margins were getting cut off. I have her try a few things and I'm *mostly* sure it's not her doing the wrong thing. She's getting huffy, so I call HP (of course it's an HP) with her. The tech has her try some stuff with no change. He puts us on hold and then comes back.

Tech: Yeah, so with this printer model, the scanner arm can't scan anything larger than letter size documents, so anything over 11" is going to get cut off.

Me (thinking): Man, I'm glad I don't have to explain this.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just got a ticket from the infrastructure admin stating simply "create a OneNote notebook named <x>."

No further instructions were provided.

No explanation was given as to why one of the IT Support goons should "own" a corporate-level notebook.

Literally anybody can go to our SharePoint site and create the notebook. This doesn't need a ticket.

Why. WHY? :psyboom:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, unless it was a fluke, that did it.

The App Readiness service wasn’t running and was set to manual, but I disabled it, rebooted, and got such a fast login it was a bit of a shock, since I’ve gotten so used to waiting like it was windows 95 on a 386.

Thanks!

Oop, spoke too soon, didn't fix it :(

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

A large Data center had a problem posted:

Reason for Outage (Preliminary) - Power Loss, xxxxxxx xxxxxxx Data Center - 05 August 2018

Summary
On Sunday August 5, during a scheduled annual UPS maintenance that had been approved on Change Control #xxxxxx, the respective vendor technician was preparing to transition the 3 x UPS modules in Electrical Room D to internal bypass, before by-passing the entire system. This was necessary to allow for a required firmware upgrade.

During this transition, there was a fault on the system that resulted in the 6 x Distribution PDUs that feed Data Hall D being de-energised. This was identified immediately and the appropriate steps to bring the distribution PDUs back on line were implemented.

Details
The vendor technicians arrived on site to audit and prepare for the placement of 3 x UPS modules in Electrical Room D to perform the internal by-pass, by commanding all 3 units from the UPS-D1 interface. When performing the transition, the technician noted an anomaly - a larger than normal, momentary drop in input voltage. The Data Centre (DC) Infrastructure Manager then noted the PDU’s providing power to all cabinets in Pod-D were de-energised. Further investigation found that the input breakers on each of the PDUs had opened as well as the distribution breakers in Electrical Room D on the PDU Distribution Panel.

Resolution
After identifying the de-energised PDUs, the date centre and vendor technician began to charge and close the Distribution Panel breakers. They then began closing the PDU input breakers in a staggered fashion to accommodate for in-rush.

Once all the PDU breakers were closed and it had been confirmed that power had been restored to all PDU’s, a DC technician and the DC Infrastructure Manager began a walk-through of the Data Hall to ensure power was restored to all cabinets.

Event Timeline (EST) - Sunday 5 August, 2018
11:38pm: Notification sent by DC Infrastructure Manager to advise he would be commencing with the scheduled maintenance shortly, as the vendor technician arrived onsite.

11:46pm: DC Infrastructure Manager transferred critical load to generator to get the generator up to temperature and ensure no issues before placing the UPS’s into bypass for maintenance.

12:00am: Vendor technicians began taking readings and preparing for maintenance.

12:23am: The vendor’s lead technician started the UPS transfer to Internal By-pass.

12:24am: The vendor technician noticed a momentary drop in input voltage, but it was a higher drop than normal.

12:25am: The vendor technician advised the DC Infrastructure Manager of drop in “Generator Voltage”. The DC Infrastructure Manager did not note any drop as he was monitoring the generator.

12:26am: The DC Infrastructure Manager identified the distribution PDUs in Data Hall D had no input power, the distribution panel in Electrical Room D showed same.

12:27am: DC Infrastructure Manager and the vendor technician begin to charge and close the PDU distribution breakers in Electrical Room D.

12:30am: The DC Infrastructure Manager advised the Global Infrastructure Manager of the issue and started closing the PDU input breakers on the PDUs in the mechanical aisles.

12:31am: Date Centre Infrastructure Manager advised a data centre technician of the issue and escalated to management.

12:36am: The team confirmed power restored to all PDUs.

12:37am: Walk-through of the Pod with data centre technician to ensure power restored to all cabinets.

12:38am: Global Infrastructure Manager advised that power was restored.

12:40am: DC Infrastructure Manager spoke with vendor technicians about steps and results of transition.

12:45am: Global Infrastructure Manager and DC Infrastructure Manager updated team on events.

1:40am: Global Infrastructure Manager and the vendor technician continued to review the vendor technician’s procedure and the results.

1:50am: Began transition back to utility power.

2:20am: Critical load transferred back to Utility, UPSs functioned as normal during transition. Verified no active alarms on UPS system

What's not mentioned: Their virtual cloud servers didn't return to normal right away - that took ~23 hours before the all clear was given.

unknown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 8, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

my cat is norris posted:

I just got a ticket from the infrastructure admin stating simply "create a OneNote notebook named <x>."

No further instructions were provided.

No explanation was given as to why one of the IT Support goons should "own" a corporate-level notebook.

Literally anybody can go to our SharePoint site and create the notebook. This doesn't need a ticket.

Why. WHY? :psyboom:

It is computer thing. *frowns* Cannot do it!

*thirty seconds pass*

*slowly nods* Computer thing people will do it. *smiles*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It is computer thing. *frowns* Cannot do it!

*thirty seconds pass*

*slowly nods* Computer thing people will do it. *smiles*

I'll get to it once I'm done fixing the microwave, because the microwave has a screen and that makes it kind of like a computer so they're basically the same thing, right?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

I'll get to it once I'm done fixing the microwave, because the microwave has a screen and that makes it kind of like a computer so they're basically the same thing, right?

In hindsight, this was a bad post.

Not because of how wrong it is, but because I figured out why the office microwave is such a piece of poo poo today and now I'm basically an office God. (There's a cold spot dead center of the microwave so your food heats up significantly faster if you put it as far to the edge as possible and let the lazy susan take it for a ride)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The microwave in our breakroom worked when you opened the door. It would not work with the door closed. How long do you think it took for it to be replaced?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

The microwave in our breakroom worked when you opened the door. It would not work with the door closed. How long do you think it took for it to be replaced?

All I can see is it still works, why would you need to replace that?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

Exactly as long as it took to close one of the call centers and ship them overseas?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Renegret posted:

Exactly as long as it took to close one of the call centers and ship them overseas?

Hey all our call centers are fully staffed in the USA. For now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

Not because of how wrong it is, but because I figured out why the office microwave is such a piece of poo poo today and now I'm basically an office God. (There's a cold spot dead center of the microwave so your food heats up significantly faster if you put it as far to the edge as possible and let the lazy susan take it for a ride)

Two jobs ago a customer asked me to look at his microwave and I laughed. He was serious. He then got really mad when I told him that under no circumstances was I going to try to repair his microwave. Pretty sure I ended up holding out my cell phone with it ringing my manager's number so he could complain if he felt that strongly about it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

Hey all our call centers are fully staffed in the USA. For now.

Yeah that's what I would've said 3 years ago. Then our microwave broke.

Coincidence? I think not.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble with a Windows 10 machine since the creators update where it stalls for a good 10 to 20 seconds on startup, either before or after I log in (but not both). It's not on any kind of workgroup or what have you.

Anyone seen anything similar?

Windows defender has been destroying my machine since 1709.

big ol' shrug though, nothing to be done.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Renegret posted:

That's why they invented lazy susans. Microwaves reflect around the inside of the box and there will be places where the waveforms cancel themselves out and no heating takes place, rotating the food should theoretically move everything through both live and dead zones equally.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inspector_666 posted:

Two jobs ago a customer asked me to look at his microwave and I laughed. He was serious. He then got really mad when I told him that under no circumstances was I going to try to repair his microwave. Pretty sure I ended up holding out my cell phone with it ringing my manager's number so he could complain if he felt that strongly about it.

Was the clock flashing 12:00?

Also lol, when my parents redid the kitchen in like 1986 our brand new futuristic microwave had no lazy susan. I think they're still using it.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Data Graham posted:

Was the clock flashing 12:00?

I didn't even ask what was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kurieg posted:

That's why they invented lazy susans. Microwaves reflect around the inside of the box and there will be places where the waveforms cancel themselves out and no heating takes place, rotating the food should theoretically move everything through both live and dead zones equally.

Yeah, I kinda knew that but I didn't know how extreme the impact was. It's a small microwave and it seems like there's one of those spots right smack in the center where everyone puts their food and it spins uselessly in place.