Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The new characters in BBTag are way cooler and more varied than the characters from the previous DLC packs, or at least that's how it feels to me. After messing around with them each a little bit I think I'm settling on Mai and Yuzu for my current 2 characters, though I haven't really checked their assists to see if they work together well.

Yuzu's stance change combos with button holding are absolutely bonkers however, and it's for sure going to take some practice before it stops breaking my brain a bit. The fact that Mai can cancel QCF dash into QCF dashes is pretty neat, and her QCB command jump being invincible for part of it gives her some really weird angles of attack.

For some reason Nine's tactics mode absolutely refused to let me do the 5 hit standing B auto combo, it was really bizarre. I'm kinda not digging her though, the fact that she can't airdash and is pretty slow just doesn't feel right to me, even if she does have absolutely ridiculous buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The new characters in BBTag are way cooler and more varied than the characters from the previous DLC packs, or at least that's how it feels to me. After messing around with them each a little bit I think I'm settling on Mai and Yuzu for my current 2 characters, though I haven't really checked their assists to see if they work together well.

Yuzu's stance change combos with button holding are absolutely bonkers however, and it's for sure going to take some practice before it stops breaking my brain a bit. The fact that Mai can cancel QCF dash into QCF dashes is pretty neat, and her QCB command jump being invincible for part of it gives her some really weird angles of attack.

For some reason Nine's tactics mode absolutely refused to let me do the 5 hit standing B auto combo, it was really bizarre. I'm kinda not digging her though, the fact that she can't airdash and is pretty slow just doesn't feel right to me, even if she does have absolutely ridiculous buttons.

Nine has slayer style movement and that's really cool to me, I need to lab with her more but she has some cool stuff with immediate kunzite overheads and some safejump setups with the seed thingy. All the new characters are super cool though and I wanna see what people come up with using them.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

markgreyam posted:

So after EVO hype being solely at fault for me spending a bit of money on GGXrd and KOFXIV (and nothing to do with my lack of self control which is in no way indicated by my owning everything else except BBTag before this anyway) I dusted off the newest stick I have which is that old UMvC3 Hori PS3 number which was still just plug-and-play in Win7, but I'm finding that for some reason BBCF and BB Chrono have messed up button setups (square is select, X is back, O does nothing, even Start and Select seemed to be swapped), while everything else I tried (GGXrd, UNIEL, even UMvC3 just for kicks) works fine (X selects, O goes back, Start and Select are working as expected).

Before I go and just reconfigure the buttons manually in-game, I want to double check if is this because of something well-known that I need to alter or is there a setting in BB where it's defaulting to a different setup. The config screen just seems to let me configure manually and has two settings but nothing that seems to cycle through default setups, or I'm missing it. Going Big Picture mode made no difference either. I don't want to reconfigure it in BP mode settings because I'm guessing that will gently caress up all the other games that already work.

I notice the OP says that SFV doesn't work OOB at all with sticks but I'll cross that bridge later. I just want to mess about with anime games for now.
This is how DirectInput controllers are with some modern games on PC. All the buttons and directions are basically just Button 1, Button 2, etc., and it's different for every game and model of controller so the default mapping can be very weird. If you used an Xinput controller for a game with Xinput support everything would be mapped as you would expect since it's standardized.

As for SFV, yes, it didn't support DirectInput controllers at first and some members of the community wrote their own drivers to fix this. DirectInput controllers can work with SFV now but you have to enable DirectInput support in the options and it's kind of janky from what I've heard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The ps4 panthera is really good about announcing itself to windows, i havent had to mess with anything in any game so far. Idk how it manages it. Maybe its got xinput on top of its ps stuff?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nine has slayer style movement and that's really cool to me, I need to lab with her more but she has some cool stuff with immediate kunzite overheads and some safejump setups with the seed thingy. All the new characters are super cool though and I wanna see what people come up with using them.

Ohh, that's probably why she feels so weird to me. I've never really been that into slayer style dashes and such. I really appreciate the complexity though of just how much flexibility she has between all the different spells she can use to take up space.

Too many cool characters and too little time to learn them all!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Ohh, that's probably why she feels so weird to me. I've never really been that into slayer style dashes and such. I really appreciate the complexity though of just how much flexibility she has between all the different spells she can use to take up space.

Too many cool characters and too little time to learn them all!

I want to see if you can dash through supers and figure out some BDC setups.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I am excited about Soul Calibur 6 after seeing the top 8 vod (even if enjoyment relied on muting the commentary). I don't think much of the rock-paper-scissors guessing game thing they've inserted (I think it breaks the flow), but everything else looks really solid. The characters work as I'd expect and the emphasis looks like it's on fundamentals (spacing, punishing, pressure). There are new tools, but nothing so far overshadows those fundamentals.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Real hurthling! posted:

The ps4 panthera is really good about announcing itself to windows, i havent had to mess with anything in any game so far. Idk how it manages it. Maybe its got xinput on top of its ps stuff?

it does

also if you have directinput/xinput issues you can play around with the steam controller settings now, it can handle the translation

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gutter Owl posted:

Ending slides on that trailer also briefly teased Area (1:29) and Sharon (1:36).

And iirc, Arc technically only announced that Daisuke was working on "something guilty gear related," which could be anything. Maybe some DLC, or Rev3, or a full-blown X4, or idk a tie-in mobage.

Kidooka said Ishiwatari was working on "a new Guilty Gear" and while it's possible he meant Guilty Gear 3 the RTS sequel to Guilty Gear 2 I kinda doubt he'd have gone out of his way to mention it at Evo if it was non-fg related.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Get ready for Guilty Gear Xourth!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Elvis_Maximus posted:

For some reason Nine's tactics mode absolutely refused to let me do the 5 hit standing B auto combo, it was really bizarre.

yeah I got this too. I think maybe it wouldn’t count the 5 hit B one because it was already counting it for the 4 hit one above it? think that tutorial’s just messed up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Kidooka said Ishiwatari was working on "a new Guilty Gear" and while it's possible he meant Guilty Gear 3 the RTS sequel to Guilty Gear 2 I kinda doubt he'd have gone out of his way to mention it at Evo if it was non-fg related.

Could be the switch port of xx

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

AnonSpore posted:

if smash is a fighting game overture absolutely is

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

guilty gear 2 is a moba

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
what moba has unit building and actual combos/mixups

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

darealkooky posted:

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2. Just play as Jack-O

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Hey everybody - watching EVO was awesome and now I want to play more fighting games. Can I get a sanity check on a new custom hitbox build? Never built one from scratch so I'm a little fearful that I'm missing something.

Case:
Tek-Innovations case seems to be the super cost effective way to get going. They have an option to have a Neutrik slot on the front so I'll probably do that to go with the

PCB:
https://www.focusattack.com/brook-ps4-fighting-board-with-audio-v2017-ps4-ps3-pc/

This has the audio option which is great because I typically wear headphones when I'm console gaming. Less useful for PC but that's whatever. The UFB doesn't do audio and all I have are PS4 and PC anyway so there doesn't seem like too much of a loss here.

I think I will probably just get the button and hitbox conversion harnesses to make wiring as simple as possible? Cable management has never been a strong suit so I'm happy to spend a few extra bucks to make it easier.

Buttons:
All signs point to Sanwa. 1x 30mm and 15x 24mm to match the original hitbox design.

And I guess that's it? Any glaring oversights here?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/OmniSScythe/status/1026950440259399685

BBTag is some busted poo poo.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

darealkooky posted:

Guilty Gear 2: Overture

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just watched the SC6 Top 8 exhibition in EVO, oh my goodness that was intense. And Kayane is back in there, I remembered watching that girl in SC tournaments when she was like 15! Mega hype.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MerrMan posted:

Hey everybody - watching EVO was awesome and now I want to play more fighting games. Can I get a sanity check on a new custom hitbox build? Never built one from scratch so I'm a little fearful that I'm missing something.

Case:
Tek-Innovations case seems to be the super cost effective way to get going. They have an option to have a Neutrik slot on the front so I'll probably do that to go with the

PCB:
https://www.focusattack.com/brook-ps4-fighting-board-with-audio-v2017-ps4-ps3-pc/

This has the audio option which is great because I typically wear headphones when I'm console gaming. Less useful for PC but that's whatever. The UFB doesn't do audio and all I have are PS4 and PC anyway so there doesn't seem like too much of a loss here.

I think I will probably just get the button and hitbox conversion harnesses to make wiring as simple as possible? Cable management has never been a strong suit so I'm happy to spend a few extra bucks to make it easier.

Buttons:
All signs point to Sanwa. 1x 30mm and 15x 24mm to match the original hitbox design.

And I guess that's it? Any glaring oversights here?

Just a word about the tekinnovations case. After a couple months mine cracked between the buttons. I generally don’t pound on my buttons so it was just from regular use.

The next two sticks I built were cases from allfightsticks. If you don’t mind to spend a little more I’d go for an all metal case. Sometimes they have cases on sale with minor blemishes for really cheap. Sometimes less than a tek case.

And yes. Get the 20 pin and the hitbox conversion harness. Makes everything really simple. Also if you’re going for the tek case I wouldn’t suggest getting the neutrik connection on the front middle of the stick. Headphone wire was annoying to deal with.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 8, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the best FG in ages

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In Training posted:

It's the best FG in ages

Dias spent the entirety of the evo thread whiteknighting Fighterz any time anyone mentioned the match length, and flipped out about bbtag being a trash kusoge nobody should play a few times.

I don't think you're going to convince him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
everybody sign this https://www.change.org/p/bandai-nam...tter_responsive

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Only if Harada will personally guarantee that his plot is Zafina stole his skull

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Only if he has a curse button

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

only if we get some of his early 2000's tracks in the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
gently caress that, he's gotta write something for the game, bonus points if half the track his just him yelling TEKKEN like Snoop

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Dias spent the entirety of the evo thread whiteknighting Fighterz any time anyone mentioned the match length, and flipped out about bbtag being a trash kusoge nobody should play a few times.

I don't think you're going to convince him.

Man, talk about misrepresenting poo poo, drat.

BBTag is busted, but it's fun. People were talking about damage being the issue with DBFZ and I said no, it's not, there's a lot of more pressing concerns and you can still blow poo poo up easy in that game, considering meter gain.

edit: I'll say I was being a bit...harsher but it was a live thread and people were being facetious - still, I was saying the game has a lot of issues and even admitting to the matches being too long. In short, suck my dick I'm always right.

ah, just so the post isn't me calling out a dude for being wrong, and since we're on the topic of DBFZ, a patch came out and...it didn't really change a lot in the overall grand scheme of things. Made some assists better, Nappa is apparently a real character, Cell got hit hard, Yamcha and Tien can put the hurt on people solo, A16 is still a gently caress.

Dias fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 8, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dias posted:

Man, talk about misrepresenting poo poo, drat.

BBTag is busted, but it's fun. People were talking about damage being the issue with DBFZ and I said no, it's not, there's a lot of more pressing concerns and you can still blow poo poo up easy in that game, considering meter gain.

edit: I'll say I was being a bit...harsher but it was a live thread and people were being facetious - still, I was saying the game has a lot of issues and even admitting to the matches being too long. In short, suck my dick I'm always right.

Don't mind if I do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ZebraGoombaTSG/status/1027023560144052225?s=20

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dias posted:

BBTag is busted, but it's fun.

In Training posted:

It's the best FG in ages

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

BB Tag is ok. It's busted as gently caress and only going to get more degenerate as time goes on but for what it is it's fun.

DBZ rules and this patch looks great so far.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
BBtag would be the best fighting game released this year if UNIST didn't come to the West.

SC6 looks cool though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marin Karin posted:

BBtag would be the best fighting game released this year if UNIST didn't come to the West.

SC6 looks cool though.

FLEX is better than BBTag. :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

FLEX is better than BBTag. :colbert:

Not until terry but then yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

UNIST is still my number 1 but BBTag is the first game in ages that just feels like some random arcade crap that doesn't really give a gently caress about competitive presentation. It made me understand why people liked Marvel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its the first tag game i really like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

In Training posted:

UNIST is still my number 1 but BBTag is the first game in ages that just feels like some random arcade crap that doesn't really give a gently caress about competitive presentation. It made me understand why people liked Marvel

What makes UNIST so good? Total casual noob question here, and I like UNIST, just wondering what it is that makes you always pick it out as your fave.

I'm too dumb to understand enough mechanics yet to have a technical favourite, I just enjoy bashing around in them all so idk, I just love very anime game. Although Skullgirls kind of pissed me off but that's because it wrecked my casual rear end whereas every other game at least made me feel like I had a (ahem) fighting chance. Although everyone says it's got the best tutorial stuff so I've got it installed regardless to try out.