Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I really enjoy truffle oil recently, as just an undertone to salad dressings, or a last minute add to a mushroom sauce or whatever.

anyone got any favorite brands or anything that stands out? I'm sure whatever I'm using is made from those fake chinese truffles. I mean it tastes good, so there's that, but always wondering if I could be doing better.

Sabatino Tartuffi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I really enjoy truffle oil recently, as just an undertone to salad dressings, or a last minute add to a mushroom sauce or whatever.

anyone got any favorite brands or anything that stands out? I'm sure whatever I'm using is made from those fake chinese truffles. I mean it tastes good, so there's that, but always wondering if I could be doing better.

not even made from truffles. It's a synthesized aromacompound. it's fine. I think it tastes ok in small amounts but its really easy to over do and when overdone it is just one dimensional as opposed to the real thing.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Urbani truffle products

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wahad posted:

Joël Robuchon has passed away at age 73. This sucks.

A friend of mine who's visiting France right now posted this early in the morning, before it hit English-speaking press. 73 is a pretty good run for a chef. Still sucks to lose him, though. 2017 has not been kind to the culinary world. :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

bartolimu posted:

A friend of mine who's visiting France right now posted this early in the morning, before it hit English-speaking press. 73 is a pretty good run for a chef. Still sucks to lose him, though. 2017 has not been kind to the culinary world. :(

Let alone 2018!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've slept so little in the last week I actually traveled back in time.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
E: Sorry yall, should have posted that in the other megathread!

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 6, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

feedmegin posted:

Compared to French's it certainly is. What death mustard are you used to that makes Colmans taste bland?

Colman's is good! I like it on roast beef. It's just not that spicy.

I get mine from Denison Mustard whenever I happen to be in Des Moines around farmers' market time. Their Barn Burner's a good spicy mustard for brats and the like, but the Volcano's the real stuff. Nice people, too. Been making mustard here since 1885. :D Lots of German immigrants means serious mustard and sausage game.

If you wanna try it, you can get it pretty reasonably shipped, although I don't think they have their Sweat and Tears, Volcano, or My Thai on the online store.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 6, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Y'all are aware of the National Mustard Museum, right?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

That's right down from my office. I go there at least once a month to sample/buy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Casu Marzu posted:

That's right down from my office. I go there at least once a month to sample/buy.

Please don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I'm now planning to murder you and assume your identity.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I'm now planning to murder you and assume your identity.

“It was Colonel Mustard, in the dining room, with a carving knife”

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Hopefully Casu 2.0 gets a better paying job

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Casu Marzu posted:

Hello fellow Wisconsinite :wave:

Discendo Vox posted:

It actually used to be even further from Madison than it is now. It was a good... 15-20 minutes from it, now it's in the Madison suburbs.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Welp, as of Friday I will officially be leaving the Charlotte area for good and heading to live in the Jacksonville, FL area so my wife can be closer to her family. Any recommendations for eats in that area, good specialty markets, or anything food-related? Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Flagler Beach, Daytona, maybe even Orlando.

I am ready to begin my new life as a FloridaMan.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

iospace posted:

Hello fellow Wisconsinite :wave:

:wave:

The Midniter posted:

Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Flagler Beach, Daytona, maybe even Orlando.

I'm sorry.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm sorry.

Eat butts, there is a gently caress ton of good food in Florida.

The Midniter posted:

Welp, as of Friday I will officially be leaving the Charlotte area for good and heading to live in the Jacksonville, FL area so my wife can be closer to her family. Any recommendations for eats in that area, good specialty markets, or anything food-related? Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Flagler Beach, Daytona, maybe even Orlando.

I am ready to begin my new life as a FloridaMan.

Come join us in the Florida thread.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

there is... good... in Florida.

:thunk:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Eat butts, there is a gently caress ton of good food in Florida.

Sure but it's not in the area he's going to :v:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i finally broke in the ice cream maker i got last summer! I made the garden and gun peach ice cream recipe (times three to make a gallon) and two cups of a bourbon caramel salt sauce. it might have been the most well-received thing i’ve ever put together and what little was left after the crowd had its way was just enough for me to have a third helping.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Someone have a link to Potehto's peach habanero ice cream?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

Welp, as of Friday I will officially be leaving the Charlotte area for good and heading to live in the Jacksonville, FL area so my wife can be closer to her family.

HOWDY HOWDY MOFO. GET READY FOR A NEW JAGUARS SUPREMACY YEAR.

What side of town are you looking to move to?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

HOWDY HOWDY MOFO. GET READY FOR A NEW JAGUARS SUPREMACY YEAR.

What side of town are you looking to move to?

I don't know Jacksonville neighborhoods yet, but per Google Maps I'll be south of Arlington, north of Baymeadows, whatever that means. Southeastern-ish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

I don't know Jacksonville neighborhoods yet, but per Google Maps I'll be south of Arlington, north of Baymeadows, whatever that means. Southeastern-ish.

Oh, kinda by town center. Not too bad. Bottlenose Brewery is not too far from you. Bunch of stuff in town center, mostly chains though. You're 20ish minutes to the Beaches, lots of good bars and restaurants. Hoptinger and Blind Rabbit are good brewpubs, Jimmy Hula's is good for beer and tacos, Green Room is a nice brewery.

More central jax is Five Points and King Street, lots good there. King Street has Keg And Coin, Carmine Pie House (pizza), Delilah Brew House, Kickbacks, Bold City Brewery just a few blocks away, a bunch more that I can't think of of. Five Points has the other Hoptinger, Sun Ray Cinema, Black Sheep, Corner Taco, Ale Wife, Rain Dogs, Hawkers Asian Street Food, bunch of stuff.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

GrAviTy84 posted:

That was DnF, but infusing the custard with a split habanero is my favorite way to flavor a base.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Most truffle oils have never touched a truffle and are instead infused with a petrochemical called 2,4, dithiapentane which kind of smells like truffles. I think it kind of tastes like plastic. I only use it sparingly in 2 applications : soups and charred cauliflower puree.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, kinda by town center. Not too bad. Bottlenose Brewery is not too far from you. Bunch of stuff in town center, mostly chains though. You're 20ish minutes to the Beaches, lots of good bars and restaurants. Hoptinger and Blind Rabbit are good brewpubs, Jimmy Hula's is good for beer and tacos, Green Room is a nice brewery.

More central jax is Five Points and King Street, lots good there. King Street has Keg And Coin, Carmine Pie House (pizza), Delilah Brew House, Kickbacks, Bold City Brewery just a few blocks away, a bunch more that I can't think of of. Five Points has the other Hoptinger, Sun Ray Cinema, Black Sheep, Corner Taco, Ale Wife, Rain Dogs, Hawkers Asian Street Food, bunch of stuff.

Thanks for the info!!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh poo poo I forgot Engine 15 by the beach. Engine 15 owns.

Also, if you're over by Mayport (perhaps to visit the lovely Hanna Park, dog friendly beach and park), Hangar Bay Cafe is a fried chicken and ramen place run by a former navy helicopter pilot and his Japanese wife. Excelent tonkotsu ramen. Tony Pepperoni down the block is some of the best pizza I've had in Florida.

There's also a new brewery opening over there called Reve that I'm excited for. Hope they open soon!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Candied habanero and habanero syrup:

- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 sliced habaneros

Combine sugar and water in a pot. Heat on high until it reaches about 220f, then add 5 habaneros, sliced into thin rings. Cook for 20 minutes without stirring. If you stir, you'll get sugar crystals, and we want smooth syrup.
Remove from heat and let cool, leaving the habaneros in the syrup overnight. Strain the syrup into a jar and save it. Take the habanero rings and toss them on a silpat or wax paper covered with sugar. Let them dry for 2 or 3 days.

Roasted peach and habanero ice cream:

- 1 peach, roasted
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup habanero syrup
- most of your habanero candy, diced

First, cut the peach in half. Sprinkle each half with salt, and roast in a preheated 350 oven for 1 hour.
When cool enough to touch, pull the skins off. They should come easily. Then puree the peaches.
Combine the peach puree, syrup, milk, cream, and diced habanero candy in your ice cream maker, and make ice cream.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What do folks know about Baltimore as far as food and dining? Entertaining an employment offer that would be based there. My partner and I would be moving from San Francisco; I'm a native, he's originally from Michigan but has lived here for about 17 years. Both work in restaurant/bar/music industries. What are cool parts of town? What's a 'hip' place to live? Whats a good part to buy a home? I'd love to be able to use public transportation or walk as much as possible, and a place near to restaurants, bars and groceries. I'd love to hear any info or thoughts anyone has.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No way in hell I’d move from San Francisco to Baltimore.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'd love to live in Baltimore for a weeks just for the character and vibe, loved The Wire.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My friends moved from Boston to Baltimore for a big job improvement. Neither of them are overly fussy or picky, knew that they would not be in as clean / safe / upscale etc type of place. They started looking for new jobs and moved within 4 months after getting there. Doesn't help that the big riots a few years back happened during that time but they were already talking about moving sooner and that just made it more immediate for them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Drink and Fight posted:

Candied habanero and habanero syrup:

- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 sliced habaneros

Combine sugar and water in a pot. Heat on high until it reaches about 220f, then add 5 habaneros, sliced into thin rings. Cook for 20 minutes without stirring. If you stir, you'll get sugar crystals, and we want smooth syrup.
Remove from heat and let cool, leaving the habaneros in the syrup overnight. Strain the syrup into a jar and save it. Take the habanero rings and toss them on a silpat or wax paper covered with sugar. Let them dry for 2 or 3 days.

Roasted peach and habanero ice cream:

- 1 peach, roasted
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup habanero syrup
- most of your habanero candy, diced

First, cut the peach in half. Sprinkle each half with salt, and roast in a preheated 350 oven for 1 hour.
When cool enough to touch, pull the skins off. They should come easily. Then puree the peaches.
Combine the peach puree, syrup, milk, cream, and diced habanero candy in your ice cream maker, and make ice cream.

This sounds interesting.

And good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Balti-More would make a good/awful name for an Indian restaurant. There probably is one already.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What do folks know about Baltimore as far as food and dining? Entertaining an employment offer that would be based there. My partner and I would be moving from San Francisco; I'm a native, he's originally from Michigan but has lived here for about 17 years. Both work in restaurant/bar/music industries. What are cool parts of town? What's a 'hip' place to live? Whats a good part to buy a home? I'd love to be able to use public transportation or walk as much as possible, and a place near to restaurants, bars and groceries. I'd love to hear any info or thoughts anyone has.

These are the only things I know about Baltimore seafood thanks to some business trips: Go to Vaccaro's in Little Italy. It's an 60+ year old Italian pastry, dessert, coffee shop/cafe. They used to have a night where it was all you can eat desserts for like $15 or something, and if they still have it you should make it your dinner one night.

Eat Berger Cookies.

Do the Inner Harbor once just to say you've done it and then never go there again unless you're there for the aquarium. It's like Hard Rock Cafe and ESPN Zone and 5 Guys and poo poo. Just go a few blocks east to Little Italy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ever had Eggs Benedict? Like it? Try my bastardized version. I call it "Eggs Benedict Arnold".

Toasted everything bagel
Bacon
Fried egg
Hollandaise

It's wrong but so good. Way better than the original IMHO.

Also I should note I always use the easy hollandaise method. I haven't made the PIA kind in years since you can't really tell the difference.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Croatoan posted:

Ever had Eggs Benedict? Like it? Try my bastardized version. I call it "Eggs Benedict Arnold".

Toasted everything bagel
Bacon
Fried egg
Hollandaise

It's wrong but so good. Way better than the original IMHO.

Also I should note I always use the easy hollandaise method. I haven't made the PIA kind in years since you can't really tell the difference.
And a lot easier to prepare in a microwave, which is why you see it in bagel shops.

I think my favourite heterodox Eggs Benny is eggs cochon de lait, which is more or less a cross between eggs benedict and biscuits and gravy, with pulled pork instead of sausage (pulled pork, poached egg, gravy, hollandaise, served on a biscuit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Washington D.C. has a much more vibrant night life/food scene than Baltimore does.
I've lived and worked in both and curently work in D.C. No way I'd ever move back to Baltimore.

They have mass transit somewhat but the D.C. Metro system even with all its faults is miles ahead of Baltimore's.

The "good" parts of Baltimore are just as expensive as they are in D.C.
Because of a better transit system you can live in one of the closer in suburbs of D.C. for a fraction of living in the district and still have a reasonable commute. In Baltimore living in a suburb means an hour or more commute in a car.

Turkeybone who used to post in the industry thread used to be a sous chef at one Baltimore restaurant. Don't know if he has PMs or not but may want to ask about his experience there.