Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Conversion. Always conversion. and if it fails, mutation into something edible

I really like "Thou shall eat" and "thou shall grow". Kind of thing that will get the commoners behind it.

I would add "Thou shall respect the sea". Simple prelude to "protect the sea" violence later, or offering tribute of riches or infidels.

We are not offering up gills. The more material magic we put out there the more likely we are to be exposed. Save that poo poo for later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
1 Bfollowed by C

Stage One
A copy of him that we control The priest will be found having accidentally died doing something very un-priestly, preferably something that has a direct negative impact on the community.

His religion preaches charity? Crushed by a rock while burying valuables he stole.
Temperance and moderation? He's a glutton who eats most of the new harvest, then chokes on a fish bone.
etc, etc.

Stage Two
A second copy of him shows up Asherah saves the penitent soul of the dead priest and gives him a new life. He now preaches our new religion and rails against the charlatans and hypocrites that he used to be part of.

If any hero comes to investigate, they will find Prophet Dave to be entirely on the level and the new addition to our cult can take the fall as a false prophet sent by somebody else to corrupt this innocent start-up religion.

2 Inner sanctums
Asherah likes his temples on the coast, with sections of them forbidden from outsiders and even the lower ranks of the priesthood. Only those who are taken by Asherah to a special vision quest under the sea and replaced/mind controlled by us are allowed to enter. Preferably, they'll be underwater and require gills to enter. Most of these will be empty save for standard religious knick-knacks. When heroes get bored of raiding these hoping to find something beyond a planter full of ritual kelp, we can start using them to store our excess money legitimately earned religious tithes. One dungeon with 10000 gold pieces worth of stuff in it will have heroes crawling all over it. 50 temples with 200 gold worth of saintly icons of Prophet Dave? Not so much.

3 Gills only handed out on a need-to-swim basis
We have other uses for our magic, let's reserve these for the higher priesthood/marking somebody prophesied for greatness.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hey, I don't know if we ever touched on this, but do priests actually get powers ala D&D in this world? Can the priest actually cast spells? Further, are the gods actually present? It seems like an upstart religion converting followers with no big demigod behind it is ripe for a very quick squish.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

All good ideas so far. Sharks are holy, don't gently caress with sharks. Unless you want to eat one, in which case you must kill it a ritual Bone Harpoon of Zum'a'Kalis, who is Asherah's pet sawfish shark.

Because all gods need some kind of eccentricity.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blasphemaster posted:

All good ideas so far. Sharks are holy, don't gently caress with sharks. Unless you want to eat one, in which case you must kill it a ritual Bone Harpoon of Zum'a'Kalis, who is Asherah's pet sawfish shark.

Because all gods need some kind of eccentricity.

Nah, you take that bitch on mano y mano armed with nothing but a ceremonial shark tooth dagger.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

AJ_Impy posted:

1C Conversion is almost always the best option. Your enemy loses an asset and you gain one.

2 Works for me.

3.Only for the devout and only if they desire it. Make it known as a great blessing, have the faithful prove themselves to earn it.

Yeah, this. Let them come to us.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Grey Hunter posted:

We are building a religion

Sarga begins her work - religions are a delicate thing, and to begin with, she needs a god. A shark encapsulates the idea of violence, but a great white would be a little intimidating, she looks around the reef and sights a Hammerhead, and inspiration strikes.

She works on him in her lab for a week. She brings in the finest reagents she can find and studies texts. The work she does is completely different to the last sharkman she made, this one is to look much more human, strong, but not threatening.
Emotionally, it is stripped, with her newfound power she is able to push a personality onto the blank canvas of the sharks massively enlarged brain. The creature she ends with has a rough exterior, but emanates control and protection. She knew he would have to act without her, so she made him intelligent enough to follow a plan.
She calls it Asherah, after her father.

The next part needed more skill than brute force. She moved to the port of Cliffcut, the port that was experiencing the boom in trade - if she wanted to start a war over trade, it made sense to base the religion in the area. The harbour was in a natural bay surrounded by steep cliffs - defensible and protected by the elements. But a bit to formidable for Sarga.
There were some smaller fishing towns and villages on the outskirts, and she made her way there.

She watched the fishermen. It was strange not to be potting their imminent demise, but you had to roll with what the job gave you. Asherah swam nearby.
Bad tidings hums in Sarga’s hands, the weather turned rougher suddenly, and the waves leapt up, a small family fishing boat was nearby, and a great wave swamped it, sweeping the wife and daughter into the sea. The man managed to steady the boat, but was at a loss to move it against the high Sarga moved quickly, she cast the deep, reassuring voice of Asherah into the man’s mind.
”I can save them for you, if you believe in me.”
”What? Who said that?”
”Trust me, I shall save your family… Dave.” A quick bit of mental dipping pulls the man’s name from his head. Simple but effective magic. Do not be afraid of my form, I mean you no harm.”
”Please, by Hurn, save them!”
”Hurn has abandoned you, I am the god Asherah, and I am here for you.”
Asherah shoots forwards, his large arms wrapping around the downing pair and dragging them upwards. He breaks the surface and lands on the deck of the ship. Around him other small fishing vessels are coming to Dave’s aid are filled with gasping people as the huge hammerheaded shape lands on the deck of the ship and gently deposits the two humans on the deck.
Asherah then turns to face the oncoming storm, and booms out in a loud voice - ”Begone storm of Kilria, these people are under my protection.” This was preplanned, Sarga’s research had found that the neighbouring Pikra Kingdom’s main god was a weather god called Kilria, like most gods, nothing had been heard of him/her/it in a long time, but a name like that could be useful in stirring anger. Sarga let the weather spell go and the storm dissipated quickly. The sun broke through and the first ray of sunshine landed where Asherah was standing, his wet skin gleamed in the sun, and he struck a power pose. (A little over the top for Sarga’s tastes, but free thought is free thought.)
”I have followed the winds of trade to this place my people, and I can see you suffering through neglect. Cast down Hurn and worship me. Line up your nets along the shore tomorrow and I shall give you a catch like you have never seen.” He boomed out before returning to the water. He returned to Sarga with a look like a very toothy puppy on his face.
”Did I do well mistress?” He asked.
”A little over the top Asherah, but it made for a good impression.”

The next day some of the villagers placed their nets along the shore line as instructed, while others took to the seas in the normal manner, or remained in port. Asherah found easy enough to chase a huge shoal of fish in front of him and into the nets. They filled the nets and burst onto the shore. The people rejoiced and the next day more nets were put out to be filled.
The Prophet Dave spoke with Asherah most nights. He brought back messages and commandements from his god to the ever growing shoal of followers.
After a week of this, the first priest of Hurn arrived from Cliffcut, and things were about to get interesting.

The people are falling behind the new god, but it’s a small start, and organised religion has just arrived.

1 - How do we deal with this troublesome priest?
A - DEATH BY ASHERAH!
B - Death by “mysterious circumstances”
C - Conversion!
D - Mutation!
E - Let the people decide!

2 - What should our commandments be?

3 - Do we push gills on our people, or let them be for now? Yes/No

1- I'm ambivalent on this one. A, C, and E all sound workable.

2 - The Sea is a Harsh Mistress, but Fair - Life can be harsh, and this is a lesson. Like the shark, no matter the tribulations, we keep moving forward and looking to the next challenge. There is plenty for those who can face the hardships of the waves to claim it. Ask not for Asherah to still the waves, but rather for the strength to overcome them, as that which is weak is meat for the maw.

3 - We catch more flies with honey. If we make... changes, let them be as a reward for those who show exceptional strength and loyalty in service. Our benefactor wants this religion to push his people to be ready for a trade war, so we want to encourage aggression and strength.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

1- I'm ambivalent on this one. A, C, and E all sound workable.

2 - The Sea is a Harsh Mistress, but Fair - Life can be harsh, and this is a lesson. Like the shark, no matter the tribulations, we keep moving forward and looking to the next challenge. There is plenty for those who can face the hardships of the waves to claim it. Ask not for Asherah to still the waves, but rather for the strength to overcome them, as that which is weak is meat for the maw.

3 - We catch more flies with honey. If we make... changes, let them be as a reward for those who show exceptional strength and loyalty in service. Our benefactor wants this religion to push his people to be ready for a trade war, so we want to encourage aggression and strength.

I like it, but for #2 we did literally still the waves in our little con game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Blasphemaster posted:

I like it, but for #2 we did literally still the waves in our little con game.

We did, but we called it out as a strike against another god, not an interference in nature's cycle. :v:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

We did, but we called it out as a strike against another god, not an interference in nature's cycle. :v:

Ooh. A good take on things, I like it. Still, I think we should be careful of our phrasing in the future when speaking to the laity. Inconsistencies will surely bite us in the rear end if we are not careful.

I also imagine that our capabilities with Bad Tidings i.e. weather control will come into play. What if, through a powerful enough ritual, the assembled faithful can call upon Asherah to slap an enemy with a lack of fish, or give faithful ships a nice tailwind for a time and what have you. As long as it doesn't make things necessarily unbalanced or too easy on the home front, Asherah is willing to dole out some weather control?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Conversion to the commandments.

The priest was an opportunity - someone who knew how religion works, and could guide The Prophet Dave, who had proven to be a good public speaker, in forming a stable religion. Everyone knew that religions were only as good as their churches.

Everyone could be turned, it was just a matter of knowing their weak spots. And Hurn was a pacifist sect - they firmly believed if you did nothing, you would commit no sins. This would give Sarga at least one way in to the man’s mind.
Casting her scrying spell on the man, she found he had no protection at all - Hurn must be as lazy as his followers to not protect his holy men. The gods were not ones to meddle in the lives of men, unless you messed with their stuff.

The priest turned out to be comically easy to break - just one evening watching him in the taverns showed her he could not keep his eyes off the tavern owner, and she had been very friendly towards him - although Sarga could not tell if that was just to get on the right side of the church.
The priest spent the next day giving the standard “beware of false gods” speeches, and warning that he would have to take action against anyone who continued to believe in Asherah. It was so dreadfully rote.

That night, Sarga crept into his dreams, They were a mess of images, Hurn turning his back on the people, the city burning, Asherah rising from the waves to defend his people. That kind of thing, then she twisted them to show the priest, in fancy reinments, jagged sword in hand, muscle chested with the Landlady at his side armoured and looking longingly at him.
His brain took over, and Sarga left, feeling a little put off at what followed.
Humans were disgusting. Why could they not lay eggs like a proper species?

The next day the followers of Asherah found two large, ornate shells waiting for them as they went to put their nets in the water. On each was inscribed a message.

Thou shalt eat. Quell the hunger inside you. Is it regular hunger? Is it your sexual appetite? Is it your thirst for blood? Sate yourself so it doesn't gnaw on your mind.

Thou shalt grow. Strive for improvement of both the self and the space where you live. Grow stronger and smarter, build your home into a fortress that none may assail you and expand your borders to have more room to build.

The people read these, and tried to lift them. They found they could not move them. The Priest read them, and Sarga could see his mind working. The shells gleamed in the sun, and soon the nets were full.
The devotees of Asherah took these new commandments to heart, and began to fill their desires, while those who did not looked on with growing worry. The Priest once more tried to turn people back to his do-nothing god, but more people, the younger ones mainly, drifted towards the new god.
Another night of dreams wracks the priest, he sees Hurn dead in the gutter, and Kilira laughing over him, he dreams of the Landlady and a cathedral built around the stones. He dreams of terror and glory.
The morning comes, and he cannot look the Landlady in the eye, but he cannot stop thinking about her.
He visits the stones again, and he sits on the shore alone.

Asherah rises from the sea to greet him.
”You look troubled little one.” He says. The priest scrabbles backwards in the sand.
”Stand back monster! You are no god!”
”Am I not? You call me monster, but what have I done that is not in these people's best interests? I have fed them, saved their lives, protected them from a storm. You are the one coming in here telling them they are living wrong. I want them to be strong and happy.”
”Tempt me not, you have been sent here by some vile creature to turn me. The gods do not appear before people like this. They do not take part in people lives.”
”Then what good are they as gods?” It was simply put, but Sarga, watching from the water, could see Asherah’s point hit home. Doubt flashed across the mans face. ”The old gods have lost their way. They watch and take, but never give. I am a new god ys, but I am doing something, trying to save people.”
”Save people?”
”Yes. And I need you. I need someone to help my prophet spread my teachings. If we do not, death will come to this country, and Cliffcut will be the first city to burn. War is coming, and Hurns outdated ideals will just lead to death. I am the only way these people will survive!”
”I have dreamed of another god.”
”Kilira. Yes. He is breaking the pact of silence, and whipping his followers into a frenzy. We need to do the same.”
”We?”
”You are mine Olimas. You have just been learning how not to do things. Now, go, feed your hunger and spread my word.” With that Asherah stood and strode back into the seas.

The next day the Priest was wearing common clothes, talking to the Landlady and Dave. He was theirs.
Another week saw the people bring stones to surround the shells. And the start of a building going up - wood for now, but it would grow in time. The last of the villagers either joined the new religion or left their homes in fear.
The village was hers.

Do we
A - Push into the surrounding villages?
B - Go for Cliffcut?

quote:

Mana = 360/450 1 Large Manawell 455/1000
Gold = 41500

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
34 Beaverpeople. 4 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I think A is a better choice strategically.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Always grab your natural expansion first before going on the offensive.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A, but make our followers more attractive so we can sell the religion better

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Blasphemaster posted:

This is pretty much the perfect way of putting it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blasphemaster posted:

:hai:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Blasphemaster posted:

Trufax.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Blasphemaster posted:

Good tactics here.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A is a good idea.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Blasphemaster posted:

This is truth. This is wisdom.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

This is truth. This is wisdom.

Interestingly, I forgot this wisdom and lost a bunch of games today. Thus is the consequence of playing Random.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You shall grow.

There comes a time in all new religions when they have to step beyond the cradle and into the wider world.
The Prophet Dave and newly minted High Priest Olimas were ready to take that step. Olimas readied his horse, and was joined by Olga the taverns Landlady. Sarga continued to sit in her room watching events unfold.
Really, this was a nice contract, very little personal danger and the ability to manipulate people into worshiping one of her creations. And a huge paycheck at the end!

Olimas arrives in the next village over, and was immediately greeted with some unease - some of the people from the first village had moved here, and had spread the news of the new god. There was not open rejection by all though, as several people sheepishly moved over to the new arrivals to talk to them.
Word had gotten around, and the huge hauls of fish that the followers of Asherah were bringing in had not gone unnoticed.

Olimas started his sermon from the village square, and had a small number of followers looking on, then a rotten fish sailed from the crowd and hit him square in the face.
Sarga saw her opening, and placed her hand on Bad Tidings.
”Who did that?” Olimas roared, he had been a priest most of his life, and was used to being treated with respect, as he did so, Sarga reached out and formed some dark clouds. The sun dims, and one or two peasants look to the sky.
”How could you turn your back on Hurn?” someone shouts as another glob of fishguts slams into Olga.
”Turn my back? He has not done anything for us in centuries! We are alone, and only Asherah is her to protect us!” The skies form noticeable clouds now.
”Get out of here you monster loving fool!” The man with a bucket of fish guts strides to the front now, he is old, but has the body of someone who has done hard work all his life. ”Your Asherah will only bring war, Hurn has kept us safe for generations - this is a trick my some dungeon master!”
”Ashera is a god! Her care’s for us, but he will not be willing to let one old man doom an entire country.”
”Oh yeah? If he’s so good, so all powerful, then let him show it. If I’m standing in the way of the salvation of the country, then have him strike me now.” he points to the heavens with one had.
An evil smile crosses Sargas’ face.
Lightning from the heavens is so passe, but you cannot deny that when someone has just ask for a god to smite them, it’s a good go to option.
The man doesn't know what hit him. Everyone around him does as the lightning passes down his hand and earths into the ground. Sarga pushes a good amount of juice into him, and he catches fire immediately. A bit more mana holds him there, upright and burning - one finger pointing towards the sky. After a minute she lets the skeleton crumble to the ground.
The stunned villagers look out from behind whatever cover they had scrambled behind. An equally stunned Olimas managed to rally quicker.
”Anyone else doubt my lords power?”

The Village was soon full of Followers of Asherah, less those who had left. Another few days pass before the two left and headed on for the next stop. A town on the road to Cliffcut known as Applepass.
As they approached an arrow shoots down an lands at their feet, and a voice booms out.
“”This is a city of Hurn, turn back, or we will be forced to do something that will put our immortal souls at risk!”
Sarga scans across the walls and sees they have put guards on the gate - they seem to be church men, but the city guards are making no moves to stop them.

How do we deal with this city?
1 - Make it an example to those who disobey Asherah!
2 - Launch a false flag attack using the Stingrays.
3 - Try and talk it out.
4 - bypass the town and head to the city
5 - something else, much more creative and evil.

quote:

Mana = 362/450 1 Large Manawell 480/1000
Gold = 41750

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
Asherah - the Hammerheaded “god”
34 Beaverpeople. 4 beaverkids. (lead by Holta.)
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How big is this town? Are there a couple of guards and little else? Is it on the water?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its a decent sized town, on a river a bit inland. there will be ten-twenty guards on each gate, and some local law enforcement in the city. No army or militia - the rulers of this realm WANT you to succeed, remember.

They just can't be TOO obvious.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Talk it out. It would only be a bit of enchantment to make our priest's voice boom and his eyes blow, right? A couple of minor miracles and a good orator should be able to show these yokels that Hurn has left and obviously withdrawn his protections.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The job called for a violent religion, feel like this is the time to start seeding the obligation to bring the infidels into the faith.

Try to talk it out because we are a religion of peace, but when they are unwilling to listen it is time to go to arms. Send the army straight through the field towards the gates, assist Ashera in creating a shield of water to protect them from arrows. Capture everyone and give them the option, convert or drown.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Time for a peacekeeping mission

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We are the peaceful ones, we do not bring soldiers. We do not need them.

Only when someone deliberately challenges Asherah should they be smote directly.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

Only when someone deliberately challenges Asherah should they be smote directly.

This kind of goes against the order.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AJ_Impy posted:

This

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Nephzinho posted:

This kind of goes against the order.

I wasn't very happy with the tenets seemed like the converted priest wanted to be a little rapey. "Just take what you want"

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

We're trying to get a crusader army together, not make saints.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Nephzinho posted:

We're trying to get a crusader army together, not make saints.

True but I was thinking we're just getting them open up to the idea of violence in self defense from the neighboring country.
Walk softly but carry a big stick vs let's kill them all(including the citizens of the client nation) we can't start a civil war to weaken the nation we're being paid to stir up for a fight of self defense.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C. What up my dudes? Why would you need to do something to drat your soul? Just here to chat, friend.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

3. Argue that by declaring their willingness to fight, they have proven they do not truly believe the teachings of their god. They value their own lives above their beliefs. They may not have broken the tenets of their religion in deed yet but they already have in spirit. If their faith was truly unshakable, they would not fear the teachings of another god.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

3. Argue that by declaring their willingness to fight, they have proven they do not truly believe the teachings of their god. They value their own lives above their beliefs. They may not have broken the tenets of their religion in deed yet but they already have in spirit. If their faith was truly unshakable, they would not fear the teachings of another god.

This. No true god would demand they weaken themselves to aggrandize him, when they should instead be making themselves as strong as they can in his image.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
5: A combination of 1, 4, and 2

Rebuke them: "Misfortune befalls those who do not welcome followers of Asherah peacefully and with open hearts!"

Bypass Applepass and move on to the next town, Cliffcut, without incident.

One week later, send the Stingrays to murder Applepass's religious leadership in the middle of the night. Use poison to make their deaths look like accidents.

e: This idea is meant to make for a great "I told you so"-type legend in the chapters of Asherah. Asherah's prophet predicted bad stuff to befall these guys, and now look what's happened to them!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 15, 2018