Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I finally watched solo at the 2.50$ theater. I'm probably never gonna watch it again but it was fun enough. Definitely the worst of the new films though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's a shame that Star Wars is in the league where anything less than a 9 figure return is a failure because it means you can't have a small, self-contained story with unknown characters being greenlit.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

It's a shame that Star Wars is in the league where anything less than a 9 figure return is a failure because it means you can't have a small, self-contained story with unknown characters being greenlit.

Rogue One did better than Solo tho

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Szmitten posted:

Rogue One did better than Solo tho

Neither of those films fit the description.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

dentist toy box posted:

I finally watched solo at the 2.50$ theater. I'm probably never gonna watch it again but it was fun enough. Definitely the worst of the new films though

It was better than TFA and TLJ imo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today's news:

Star Wars tv series will cost $100 million for 10 episodes and may be set on Mandalore three years after ROTJ. I predict that this will probably be more of an Inhumans than a Game of Thrones, though.

There's also been a rumour that Episode IX will either be the longest Star Wars movie ever (TLJ is currently the longest at two and a half hours) orrrrrrr... split into two movies! :v:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today's news:

Star Wars tv series will cost $100 million for 10 episodes and may be set on Mandalore three years after ROTJ. I predict that this will probably be more of an Inhumans than a Game of Thrones, though.

There's also been a rumour that Episode IX will either be the longest Star Wars movie ever (TLJ is currently the longest at two and a half hours) orrrrrrr... split into two movies! :v:

I'd rather have a IX and X.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Five years ago it could've gotten "Episode IX - Part 1/2" but that whole craze is done. Remember when Justice League was going to be two parts or when the third and fourth Avengers movies were going to be "Infinity War - Parts 1 & 2"?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Who came up with the "rumor" about the run time / two movies?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's fairly non-specific. I read about it on a site called MovieWeb.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Mandalore is p loving lame.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TFA+TLJ all feel like a super-extended setup for the rest of the trilogy, too bad that the table has been cleared for something new we are bringing back JJ and Billy Dee

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Wheat Loaf posted:

Five years ago it could've gotten "Episode IX - Part 1/2" but that whole craze is done. Remember when Justice League was going to be two parts or when the third and fourth Avengers movies were going to be "Infinity War - Parts 1 & 2"?

Wait I thought it was infinity wars part 1 and 2.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's fairly non-specific. I read about it on a site called MovieWeb.

Wait, Gwendoline Christie is coming back again? Are they just gonna kill her off a third time so John Boyega can go through a character arc?

e: "Star Wars 9 sounds like its trying to be the Infinity War of the Lucasfilm universe."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

celewign posted:

Wait I thought it was infinity wars part 1 and 2.

No, they came out and said they had changed that, and that both parts would "stand on their own". This was before Infinity War actually came out and we found out that's not loving true at all.

The rumored title, but in no way confirmed, is Avengers: Endgame.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

No, they came out and said they had changed that, and that both parts would "stand on their own". This was before Infinity War actually came out and we found out that's not loving true at all.

The rumored title, but in no way confirmed, is Avengers: Endgame.

It was done in an attempt to fool you into thinking it was a whole movie, and not just another half our move with a two hour trailer for the next movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It was done in an attempt to fool you into thinking it was a whole movie, and not just another half our move with a two hour trailer for the next movie.

Excuse me, but may I remind you that it was "the cinematic experience of a lifetime"?

Ingmar terdman posted:

TFA+TLJ all feel like a super-extended setup for the rest of the trilogy, too bad that the table has been cleared for something new we are bringing back JJ and Billy Dee

I tend to be a ST optimist, but if they go Force-skype-baby with it as the rumours suggest, I may just not even bother.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

Excuse me, but may I remind you that it was "the cinematic experience of a lifetime"?

Haha, did someone honestly call it that?

quote:

I tend to be a ST optimist, but if they go Force-skype-baby with it as the rumours suggest, I may just not even bother.

That would be a bit rubbish. Fingers crossed that they revisit the early Episode 8 rumour that Rey was going to ask Luke, "Are you my father?" and he was going to say, "No, you're my father!" and explain how she was the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. :v:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Only satisfying ending is for Rey and Kylo to conceive a new Chosen One the same way Palpatine and Plagueis did, performing a Force Ritual holding each others' shoulders and then headbutting one another screaming "FORCE! FORCE! FORCE! BOOYAH!"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When do 3PO and Poe gently caress?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was a tagline I saw on a TV spotlight for it. My soul died a bit when I saw that

I mean, christ, what were people saying when Avatar came out if Infinity War is considered a lifetime event?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

That was a tagline I saw on a TV spotlight for it.

Was it just something whoever wrote the copy came up with or was it one of those ones quoting an actual review?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Wheat Loaf posted:

That would be a bit rubbish. Fingers crossed that they revisit the early Episode 8 rumour that Rey was going to ask Luke, "Are you my father?" and he was going to say, "No, you're my father!" and explain how she was the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker. :v:

I watched a "best moments" video on YouTube and 70% of it was one version after another of a TV spot calling it that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Harime Nui posted:

Only satisfying ending is for Rey and Kylo to conceive a new Chosen One the same way Palpatine and Plagueis did, performing a Force Ritual holding each others' shoulders and then headbutting one another screaming "FORCE! FORCE! FORCE! BOOYAH!"

It's a testament to how much I love Adam Driver in these movies that I could picture him doing this and the mental image delighted me

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Almost Blue posted:

Wait, Gwendoline Christie is coming back again? Are they just gonna kill her off a third time so John Boyega can go through a character arc?

Well, a running gag only really works if you do it three times. Twice, you're just repeating yourself.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Angry Salami posted:

Well, a running gag only really works if you do it three times. Twice, you're just repeating yourself.

Finn will hire the Kaminoans to provide him with an endless amount of Phasma's. Whenever he feels like he needs to shake things up in his life he'll kill this month's delivery.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
They really went all the way making PHasma an authentic Boba fett by having her be owned and never do anything

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't know what that is but they will

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Ingmar terdman posted:

Since they've killed off everyone else, from Luke to Admiral Ackbar, now when they say they're bringing in Billy Dee, it's like they're announcing Lando will be next to be brought to the guillotine.

Like the natural reaction to an announcement that they're bringing back an old beloved character now seems to be "oh noooo :( "

And that's hilarious.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mooey Cow posted:

Since they've killed off everyone else, from Luke to Admiral Ackbar, now when they say they're bringing in Billy Dee, it's like they're announcing Lando will be next to be brought to the guillotine.

Like the natural reaction to an announcement that they're bringing back an old beloved character now seems to be "oh noooo :( "

And that's hilarious.

even if lando gets to be, like, the one OT character who ended up happy, that'll be hilarious because it's like 'see? see? lando's still good, lando's still good!'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The final shot of the ST will be Jar Jar relaxing on a beach chair on some distant resort planet, sipping blue milk with a little umbrella straw.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Lando should just have one scene wherein the resistance asks for his help to which he’s like “Haha nah, I’m good.” and then he flies off in the falcon to have cyber sex with his old droid’s brain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was most amused to learn that there was a popular rumour in 1997-1999 that Samuel L. Jackson's character in TPM was going to be Lando's grandfather and he was going to be called "Grando".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was most amused to learn that there was a popular rumour in 1997-1999 that Samuel L. Jackson's character in TPM was going to be Lando's grandfather and he was going to be called "Grando".

The Internet was a magical place in the years leading up to The Phantom Menace.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Question Friend posted:

They really went all the way making PHasma an authentic Boba fett by having her be owned and never do anything

Wearing a cool costume that looks good on an action figure on your office desk is the most important thing you can do!

I'm not shocked at the rumors of splitting the story into two films and sorta predicted it with the lack of focus on the Roman numbering this go round. There's not a lot there after TLJ basically undid all the events of the previous movie. JJ probably needs 3 more hours to build a story back up and properly pay it off. I'm fine with it, but I feel like with better planning they shouldn't have to.

Rewatched Rogue One again after liking it the first couple times and woof! Aside from the space battle and high stakes there's like nothing there at all. The most vanilla of vanilla ice creams.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He only undid two pointless things idiots latched onto lmao

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CelticPredator posted:

To be fair, the previous movie didn't have much else going for it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Things undone:

Rey was implied to have some kind of Backstory. Like, half her scenes in The Force Awakens were using pretty basic cinematic language to say "Hey, pay attention. This is going to be Important".

Snoke was set up to be a major player.

Finn and Rey were set up as the main couple, with Finn having gone through a character arc from coward to hero.

Kylo had his worship of Darth Vader as a central motivation.

Phasma was apparently killed due to being in the middle planetary explosion.

The Resistance had dealt a serious blow to the First Order.

Finn had taken serious injuries.

Kylo's scar.

Huh. That... seems to be more than two things.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Snoke was a major player. And then he died. So it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Billy Snoke was one major player at the start of TLJ and by the end he was TWO major players.