Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The one thing I can think of is that you'll see little green mold you can pet, statues you can touch and red sigils on the ground sometimes. These are all tied with fighting and beating various bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

In Dragonfall your crew not only has more narrative content but they level up and gain abilities that aren't realistically available for their archetype via Mercs or even for you playing that archetype. Better to save the money anyway.

Now that I've sunk a bunch of hours into this game, I'm really enjoying the way it handles companions. They take care of their own gear, and their level upgrades are just a choice between one of two things per level. They feel unique and interesting and it doesn't feel like doing chores to keep them up to date and useful, I wish every RPG would do it like this.

It is kind of a bummer that there's no reason to use mercs when some of them look pretty cool in their own right but :shrug:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anything for Conan Exiles?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SiKboy posted:

Anything for Middle Earth: Shadow of War? I've played Shadow of Mordor back when that came out, and now they've removed the manipulative gatcha game bullshit I thought I'd give the sequel a try. I'm a couple of hours in and its just not hooking me the same way the first one did. I'm assuming that (much like the first) I should more or less mainline the story until they unlock branding?
One important thing to know that I rarely see mentioned: the level of runes and/or items that orcs drop is dependent on your level, not theirs. Level 5 orcs will drop level 60 legendaries so long as your own level is maxed out. It's kind of annoying, makes it feel a bit like punching above your weight level isn't really worth it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cardiovorax posted:

One important thing to know that I rarely see mentioned: the level of runes and/or items that orcs drop is dependent on your level, not theirs. Level 5 orcs will drop level 60 legendaries so long as your own level is maxed out. It's kind of annoying, makes it feel a bit like punching above your weight level isn't really worth it.

And unless they've fixed it since launch (I haven't played in awhile), an Orc you control whos level would surpass yours will instantly betray you, so leveling up high enough to get that cool captain with all the skills that made him hard to fight is just going to have him ambush you on the very next mission and call you a bitch and leave. It was super annoying, because the game never explains to you why the betrayal is IMMEDIATE. The betrayal rate in general was why I stopped playing in the first place, as it gave you no real reason to give a poo poo about any of your army, they were all going to backstab you and have to be put down eventually.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I haven't had a lot of trouble with that myself, because I didn't really make much of a point of recruiting too many orcs close to or equal to my own level and usually outpaced them as a consequence, but yeah, supposedly that's a pretty big problem if you push against the level barrier too much.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cardiovorax posted:

Thats good to know, I think one of the early areas does have a "Level 11 (legendary)" orc, that makes him worth going after. Also explains why I was so dissapointed when the loot dropped from a captain a clear 7 levels above (who was immmune to almost everything, had a gang of those troll looking orcs and called more if if I killed them) me was so mediocre.

Zaodai posted:

And unless they've fixed it since launch (I haven't played in awhile), an Orc you control whos level would surpass yours will instantly betray you, so leveling up high enough to get that cool captain with all the skills that made him hard to fight is just going to have him ambush you on the very next mission and call you a bitch and leave. It was super annoying, because the game never explains to you why the betrayal is IMMEDIATE. The betrayal rate in general was why I stopped playing in the first place, as it gave you no real reason to give a poo poo about any of your army, they were all going to backstab you and have to be put down eventually.

I think they might have fixed that maybe? At least I'm 30-40% of the way through the game (according to the percentage on the "continue campaign" screen). I've been betrayed once. It was by a comparatively high level orc, but his level was maybe one below mine. And it wasnt immediate either, I'd had him set as my bodyguard for a while for a bit and used him a few times. Then I was fighting an enemy captain and he turns up (I honestly dont know if I tried to summon him to help or if it was just out of nowhere. I dont think I tried to summon him, but I cant swear to it) dragging another of my allied captains who is bleeding out. Apologises for betraying me "But I wanted to kill 'im (indicating other allied captain) so now I 'as to kill YOU" and attacks. Honestly it was kind of a cool moment and the traitor instantly became one of the only orcs in my army I'd given the tiniest poo poo about. So obviously I healed the bleeding captain and when he killed the traitor he became my new bodyguard.

I loved Shadow of Mordor but I think the problem with Shadow of War is simply there are too many orcs and I'm cutting through them at such a rate that none of them make much of an impact, especially as sheer numbers means I'm seeing repeated parts more frequently ("Oh look, its another skinny hunter with a metal bird skull helmet. Whats he not immune to? Okay, thats him dead.")

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Thats good to know, I think one of the early areas does have a "Level 11 (legendary)" orc, that makes him worth going after. Also explains why I was so dissapointed when the loot dropped from a captain a clear 7 levels above (who was immmune to almost everything, had a gang of those troll looking orcs and called more if if I killed them) me was so mediocre.
Yeah, it kind of sucks. It's nearly always worth going after the purples, because legendaries can be upgraded infinitely and therefore always scale with your own level, at least as long as you have the money for it. As such, never sell them ever. Uncommon or Epic captains (blue and orange, I think?) are something you might want to keep around until you enter a new zone and/or feel you've reached a power level where an upgrade is absolutely necessary, though. You'll always get better stuff the longer you wait, no matter where you are.

SiKboy posted:

I loved Shadow of Mordor but I think the problem with Shadow of War is simply there are too many orcs and I'm cutting through them at such a rate that none of them make much of an impact, especially as sheer numbers means I'm seeing repeated parts more frequently ("Oh look, its another skinny hunter with a metal bird skull helmet. Whats he not immune to? Okay, thats him dead.")
It may sound counterintuitive, but it's actually a good idea to let an interesting captain kill you every now and again. The Nemesis system (the part of the game that makes up special recurring orcs who have history with you) depends on player deaths to determine who gets to be your Nemesis for the zone. If you want more interesting, unpredictable or plain funny stuff to happen to you? Die a lot. I only realized that after getting through most of the game without dying more than twice or so, which made for a very bland experience.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tell me about This War of Mine. I'm thinking about buying it, but I have no experience with survival games beyond Rimworld. Would you recommend it? What do I need to know before my first game if I decide to buy it?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Tell me about This War of Mine. I'm thinking about buying it, but I have no experience with survival games beyond Rimworld. Would you recommend it? What do I need to know before my first game if I decide to buy it?

The game is hard as gently caress, and you're not likely to win, but that's the point. The game is very depressing and bleak, so don't be frustrated when you lose your runner to bandits, and the rest of your people get depressed and stop eating, and then winter comes and they all freeze to death.

It's even worse if you have the expansion that adds children.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The game is interesting but I wouldn't go into it expecting a good time. You can survive off of just what you can scavenge from bandits and ruins, but the game dangles what you really need right in front of you... if you are willing to do what you have to do in order to take it.

It is definitely a commentary piece about what people are forced to do to survive in a world that is not their own making.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't see it on the wiki, anything for Dead Cells from the EA players?

You generally want to put as many levels as possible into one color, and use all equipment that's the same color. As far as I can tell, dual-colored and colorless items just use whatever's higher.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's even worse if you have the expansion that adds children.

Ah, just like real life. :thunk:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Much like in real life, some people are goddamn useless at fighting for their lives but they can be really good at, say, building poo poo. Everyone has different health totals, strengths, and weaknesses but the game will tell you who is good for what. I forget the name of the schoolteacher, but she's only really good if there's kids present (DLC stuff) and even then not really? It's an extra pair of hands, though, so there's that.

Also much like in real life, some people are totally okay with committing murder (like the guy who was a soldier before running off) and some people are definitely not ever going to be okay with committing murder. It can cause depression and make some people gently caress off and leave the house or even maybe kill themselves (never saw it happen, might be bullshit?), so be careful on how you carry out your business. Just know that if you really need to kill in order to keep someone alive, they might be more understanding of the situation and the penalty won't be as severe.

Always have whoever is staying during the evenings defend the house. They can sleep during the day after they've taken care of their important goals, whatever those are. Also, make as many beds as there are people minus one since you'll want someone to mind the door. Obviously, if you've got good weapons, you can afford to let one more person sleep, but you'll still want at least one person awake to defend poo poo.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts posted:

Anything for Conan Exiles?

My post from last page.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I recommend buying the War Child dlc if it hasn't been mentioned already.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It sounds like that'd make the game even more depressing than it already is, but I guess that's the point.

My next question is whether This War of Mine is fun to play. Is it so depressing and/or hard that it's kind of a slog, or does the game play outweigh the depressing bits?

Thanks to all replies thus far.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

It sounds like that'd make the game even more depressing than it already is, but I guess that's the point.

My next question is whether This War of Mine is fun to play. Is it so depressing and/or hard that it's kind of a slog, or does the game play outweigh the depressing bits?

I wouldn't say it's a ballbustingly difficult game, it just requires some patience and common sense to deal with certain problems (weapons can help you defend your home, food is way better when cooked, jumping a guy when he has a gun from the front or even at all is a Bad Move, and so on). I'd go as far to say as even with the most useless characters in the game, you can still earn a victory once you've got some experience with the system.

As for depressing situations, it can get as dark as can be expected from this type of subject. I'm not exactly of a stone heart here, but I was more worried about winning than paying much mind to what was happening. There were a few things that did knock me on my rear end when I gave it some thought, though. As for you, I don't know your threshold for dealing with sad poo poo, but as long as you expect it to be pretty bad at times, I think you won't mind it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tiny, tiny spoilers: The real mechanic of TWoM is how much you're willing to compromise your moral code vs. taking extreme risks about your own well-being. It's not as bad as, say, LISA, and the situations are much more organic, but the game does not hide what it's about (and what it's about is "being a refuge in a warzone is loving hell").

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

There's a dlc that if I remember right (I haven't gotten around to it yet) does add children to the game but the War Child dlc is actually just a donation to some war orphan charity.You have 3 options you can buy (each for a different amount) and 100% goes to the charity. I feel it helps balance out some of the sad by doing a good thing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This War of Mine is very easy to "solve" by focusing on becoming a hobo alcohol dispensary and you never need to worry about moral compromises or starvation again because you're rolling in potato vodka bucks. It's hilarious but undermines the message somewhat

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This War of Mine is very easy to "solve" by focusing on becoming a hobo alcohol dispensary and you never need to worry about moral compromises or starvation again because you're rolling in potato vodka bucks. It's hilarious but undermines the message somewhat

It sounds like it gets the message across just fine. With that message being this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd say being potato vodka tycoon is a bit more realistic because civilians during wartime are supportive of each other and form tight knit communities, they don't really stalk basement to basement looking for people to murder. That wouldn't make for good drama in a video game and they obviously intended for the game to be about moral choices. A realistic take on the scenario would be smuggling in KFC from a bordering country while avoiding snipers in the street.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mayor McCheese posted:

My post from last page.

ah poo poo. so much for thread search working

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im going to share a probably unpopular opinion, but its something I wish I had known before I played Subnautica.

The Hunger and Thirst mechanics really add nothing to the game and I think you're better off playing the mode where you don't have to worry about them.

Water is so easy to make and food is so easy to find that it just feels like busy work

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

blackguy32 posted:

Im going to share a probably unpopular opinion, but its something I wish I had known before I played Subnautica.

The Hunger and Thirst mechanics really add nothing to the game and I think you're better off playing the mode where you don't have to worry about them.

Water is so easy to make and food is so easy to find that it just feels like busy work

I just beat the game and totally agree. I switched my game to freedom mode when I was about 80% through, and wished I had done it earlier.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

This is probably true of 95% of games with hunger and thirst mechanics.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

blackguy32 posted:

I've beaten the game using the full mechanics, and from what I can tell it's simply a method to provide a 'flow' to the game. It provides incentive to return back to your base, giving a sort of ebb and flow to the game's pacing as you push out, grab what resources you can, return to recover your thirst/hunger, head back out, come back, etc. As your methods of travel improve and your technology for creating water and better food improve with them, you can go further and further without needing to return.

I don't know how much they add to the game overall, but I don't think it detracted from my experience to have to grab a couple bottles of water and salted fish as I go out. Then it also adds new sorts of interesting thresholds like when you discover farming and can just fill up on a fruit or two before heading out. Hell, my aquarium was nothing but a method to farm delicious fish until I built a garden.

Edit: Spoiled some inventions later in the game. Forgot the thread I was in.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 9, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

eelmonger posted:

This is probably true of 95% of games with hunger and thirst mechanics.

"PYF thing dragging this game down: even food and water annoy us"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Noticed Dragonfall has its own page now, thank you. :tipshat:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Frostpunk?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

limp_cheese posted:

Anything for Frostpunk?

- Outbuildings line hunter lodges do not require heat, same as any other building that people don't spend a lot of time in, so put them on the outside.
- Never take the missions requiring you to continuously heat homes. Inevitably your heat will blip for half a second and it will be a huge hit to morale.
- Send scouts out as much as you can. Basically have them running continuously.
- Inevitably you will have to choose between doing something bad and making the game much harder, that is the whole point of the game.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Frostpunk:

Expeditions travel twice as fast when their destination is known, so travel to a distant known location before spurring off to explore. The direct path back is fine.

child workers are a poor choice, even in dire situations. the other path unlocks engineer apprenticeships which are flat better in every way

Soup isn't great either.

Make a new law every time you can, including pausing and doing it at the start. There's an increasing cooldown on new laws and like research you want to get to the bottom asap

Think of morale as a currency and hope as a lose condition. Fill those bars up! Emergency work right at the start can help give your colony a boost and a normally running colony can weather permanent longer hours

Cold people get sick and this can cause a death spiral as healthy people auto-shuffle through your one illness-causing edge meat locker building

Gather huts are useful not only because they keep your people warmer but they also increase gather rate by letting one guy gather from all nearby patches simultaneously. Build them.

You can put people in gather huts and also manually gather the same patch if you're trying to deplete quickly to free up the land

Manually heating buildings and the smaller heaters are almost always a more cost effective option than bumping your central furnace

Don't overheat! People treated will almost always get better, and the difference between liveable and comfortable is small. Just avoid "cold" for buildings.

You can build multiple lifts which let you have multiple temporary colonies, one per lift

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 13, 2018

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Thanks for the tips. After beating a scenario I would include:

-Coal Thumpers are really good but don't automatically add coal to your inventory. You need gathering huts to collect the coal piles.

-Workshops are some of the most important buildings you can build. Having enough workshops for most of your engineers is very helpful.

Bhodi posted:

Frostpunk:

Expeditions travel twice as fast when their destination is known, so travel to a distant known location before spurring off to explore. The direct path back is fine.

That's a thing? I found a place that said it acted like a landmark for other expeditions and nothing new came up. I just assumed it was going to happen later in the story.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I guess I have a few more questions about Frostpunk that may be spoilery.

-What's the difference between Order and Faith?

-What happens when you choose the final law at the bottom of those trees? I think for Order the last one was "The One Order" and it seemed choosing that would murder 1/4 of my population. The benefits didn't seem that great and I didn't need it anyway to beat the game with flying colors.

-Is it a good idea to have Cookhouses and Medical buildings near your houses or does it not matter? I already figured out resource producing structures don't need to be near resource depots.

-For that matter is having your houses far away from resource producing structures bad because of the travel time for your citizens or does it not matter?

-Are automatons worth it because they seemed too fickle and expensive? I haven't built any since I always had a large workforce and it was hard finding jobs for all my citizens as it was.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Octopath Traveler? The current wiki is really lacking and the bit about the shrine is absolutely false.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Anything for Octopath Traveler? The current wiki is really lacking and the bit about the shrine is absolutely false.

Shrines are en route to chapter 2 cities, theyll appear on the minimap radar if youre on the correct map.

Pick Therion as your starter because he has a bonus out-of-combat action that is unreplicatably and requires redoing dungeons if you dont have him.

If you want to do the final boss understand youll need everyone to be level 70+. If you just want to beat the characters stories you can just use your favorites and rotate as needed to do the stories

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Don't know if there's a Watch Dogs 2 thread anywhere but I feel like it's not terribly inappropriate for this thread; how many story/mission DLCs does this game have? This is presumably something someone would want to know before playing for the first time

There are roughly 100 DLCs on steam, most of which appear to be just cosmetic crap, and I'm having a genuinely hard time figuring out which ones do anything else, even with the help of google.

Is it just Human Conditions and No Compromise, or is any of the other stuff worth getting if I don't care about costumes?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

quote:

-What's the difference between Order and Faith?
Two mutually exclusive paths to the same goal.

quote:

-What happens when you choose the final law at the bottom of those trees? I think for Order the last one was "The One Order" and it seemed choosing that would murder 1/4 of my population. The benefits didn't seem that great and I didn't need it anyway to beat the game with flying colors.
Story stuff. The montage at the end should have given you a hint.

quote:

That's a thing? I found a place that said it acted like a landmark for other expeditions and nothing new came up. I just assumed it was going to happen later in the story.
Try it yourself. ETA is displayed as soon as you select your destination and you can change it at any time.

quote:

-Is it a good idea to have Cookhouses and Medical buildings near your houses or does it not matter? I already figured out resource producing structures don't need to be near resource depots.

-For that matter is having your houses far away from resource producing structures bad because of the travel time for your citizens or does it not matter?
Doesn't matter, your guys teleport around. Visuals are just for show. They have pretty thin walls though unlike workshops so inner ring is best.

quote:

-Are automatons worth it because they seemed too fickle and expensive? I haven't built any since I always had a large workforce and it was hard finding jobs for all my citizens as it was.
Depends on the scenario. They replace population but are also useful in far/cold buildings like drills and ones that normally close but can be are useful working round the clock like cookhouses. Surplus pop can be put into hunting lodges or thumpers.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Great Information

Thank you. That helps a lot.