Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Boogie's "thing" is just a severe, crippling level of conflict aversion. It's not even pathological, it's just core to his entire worldview. Fighting is bad, not-fighting is good, and the shortest path to not-fighting is therefore best. and then, of course, the problem is that the shortest path is usually appeasement, caving in, and giving up.

Bar Crow posted:

You are who you pretend to be. There’s no difference between an insane rear end in a top hat and an insincere insane rear end in a top hat.

I fully believe that Alex Jones believes that it's all an act, the hitch is that I don't trust his judgement of how extreme the act is. Like, I'm 99% sure the conversation would be along the lines of "no, yeah, it's all an act, I don't really believe that there's pot-bellied vampire goblins out there created by the liberals to prey on conservatives, it's just a metaphor for the Jews." Also, while it is somewhat impressive how long he can just improvise for, it always amazes me just how much dead air there is in any given episode of InfoWars.

Content-wise, Campster has a (week old) new video on Jurassic Park as a franchise and Jurassic World Evolution in specific. It's good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aDDbKhzyBg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure the problem with the "is it all an act" question with regards to Alex Jones is that he believes he's playing a character, but the part that is a character is less believing in the conspiracy poo poo and more how loud and angry he gets about all of it. At least from what was written in Them Adventures with Extremists, I do honestly think that Jones thinks Bohemian Grove is a meeting place for Satanists who control the US government.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm pretty sure the problem with the "is it all an act" question with regards to Alex Jones is that he believes he's playing a character, but the part that is a character is less believing in the conspiracy poo poo and more how loud and angry he gets about all of it. At least from what was written in Them Adventures with Extremists, I do honestly think that Jones thinks Bohemian Grove is a meeting place for Satanists who control the US government.

There’s also no real tells that it’s not an act. I’ve never seen Alex Jones “break character” in any meaningful way like, say, Stephen Colbert used to when he was doing the Colbert Report. I don’t think even the most skilled actor could fake being that consistently righteously pissed off at half the stuff Alex Jones gets enraged over and keep it up for as long as Jones goes for his rants, much less do it without breaking character at the absurdity of it all and require “another take” day in and day out.

Maya Angelou said it best, “when someone tells you who they are, believe them the first time.”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Agreed, I was just trying to provide an explanation for why Jones might think he's playing a character. He thinks "I'm not that angry off stage, but it's all still true". So he's playing a character in so far as CinemaSins and Doug are.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The first time I encountered Alex Jones was in a documentary series on secret societies on Sky One -satellite/cable flagship channel that had the Simpsons and scrambled for anything else to fill the bits between Simpsons episode blocks-. This was before Jones became really famous, around early to mid 2000s. I forget which episode he was on, but it involved an Owl statue, their he was full on shouty man, he was much calmer, but if anything his story was even more transparently nonsense. He claimed that because of his radio show exposing the secrets of the group, he received death threats, and at one point men in cloaks threatened him with ceremonial daggers (Not joking) attacked him.

In his words he began viciously defending himself with his bare hands... dudes been playing a character to fluff his ego and make money from the start. Given his politics I wouldn't be surprise that like most laisez-faire New Right types he does genuinely think monopolies are maintained by actively anti competition rich dudes, whom just happen to be disproportionately Jewish, or some other form of not quite "native born American" and that Democrat governments will try to limit the guns and how offensive he can be on air, but that's about it.

Was there ever a time in Jones's life when he wasn't trying to make this pay off?

Another highlight of the show was them driving around an industrial estate with a bloke who claimed his friend was in the Illuminati and would meet them in a car park outside a warehouse in Essex, only for the guy to get a phone call from the guy backing out. It wasn't a great program.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Terrible Opinions posted:

So he's playing a character in so far as CinemaSins and Doug are.

Yeah, Doug Walker vs Nostalgia Critic (or hundreds of other YouTube personalities, really) would be a good analog. The "character" is actually just a caricature of themselves. Does Alex Jones believe in whatever conspiracy he's shrieking about right this moment? I dunno, probably not. Is he actually angry enough to rend his garments in rage and despair? Nope. Is he a paranoid right wing authoritarian? Absolutely.

Similar to that Forbes interview of Glenn Beck where Beck mentions he doesn't even actually give a poo poo about the political process and was just good at giving the audience what they want to hear.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 8, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Alex Jones the human being probably doesn't actually think Hillary is a literal demon mind controlling people to do her will and the jew george soros is making fake shootings to take guns away. He does, however, absolutely believe that even the most lovely and weak 'progressive' case like Clinton's is an active danger to the republic and must be stopped, and thinks we need to be armed to the teeth to fight the government and probably also thinks the jews run the media and junk.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea Alex Jones the human being probably doesn't actually think Hillary is a literal demon mind controlling people to do her will and the jew george soros is making fake shootings to take guns away. He does, however, absolutely believe that even the most lovely and weak 'progressive' case like Clinton's is an active danger to the republic and must be stopped, and thinks we need to be armed to the teeth to fight the government and probably also thinks the jews run the media and junk.

I feel like at some point in the future they'll call this the post-ironic-belief era or something; where entire political movements and activities are borne out of a bunch of people who claim they don't believe a thing and are only trolling, yet they continue to escalate their activities well past any sane point. Or maybe we've gotten to the point where the internet has divided us into online/offline selves where some people can completely separate their moral compass from their actions as "trolling".

It's like we're approaching some dystopian future where people will be committing war atrocities while bragging that they're totally being ironic and the people they're murdering in the streets are totally being pranked because the killers don't -actually- believe they should be all murdered.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, Doug Walker vs Nostalgia Critic (or hundreds of other YouTube personalities, really) would be a good analog. The "character" is actually just a caricature of themselves. Does Alex Jones believe in whatever conspiracy he's shrieking about right this moment? I dunno, probably not. Is he actually angry enough to rend his garments in rage and despair? Nope. Is he a paranoid right wing authoritarian? Absolutely.

Similar to that Forbes interview of Glenn Beck where Beck mentions he doesn't even actually give a poo poo about the political process and was just good at giving the audience what they want to hear.

I think (and I'm pulling this out of my med-student rear end) that there is a bit of believing your own lies over time in Jones' case.

Like those hack faith healers who start as nake dhucksters using earpieces and personnel files to 'know' sick people in the audience and call them to be touched and say they are fine now. A few years later of cash, adoration, 24/7 validation and a lot of coke/pills, they forget that it was all a con and start fully believing they are something special and holy in some way. Sure, maybe it -started- as a con, but now there's people of all kinds telling me I'm really healing them, and maybe they're right!

Not all con-men are cold, calculating masterminds. Some are just a bit smarter than their dumb/unstable marks, and start to get high on their own supply. I can see jones going "Well, it was a money squeeze at first, but now the globalist elite is -really- coming for me, just look! And even respectable conservatives are saying I'm a martyr, and since they are not my cash cows/marks, they are on to something, right?"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe but Jones has also always been this crazy, at least since the 1990s. Like his stupidity is not a recent thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Acute Grill posted:

There was a really great book about Glenn Beck back when he was at the height of his power called Common Nonsense that points out that Beck’s two enduring heroes right from childhood were PT Barnum and Orson Welles, two men who were as big of con artists as they were entertainers, and that was the most enlightening thing I’d ever read about him because it explains basically everything about him and where that Forbes quote comes from.

There’s a telling moment from one of his shows back when he was on Fox News where he throws to a commercial break thinking his mic is off and he just starts cackling like a mad man about how rich he’s gotten lately, like he can’t even believe it himself. That’s the only time I’ve ever really seen the mask slip with Beck. 99% of the rest of the time, he’s just runnin’ the con.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Time to update that video with Hannity as a replacement

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The sad irony was that in the 90s when he was a morning zoo radio shock jock, Beck actually was involved in a horrific traffic accident and somehow managed to walk away scot free. He bought a DMC DeLorean to be a hipster rear end in a top hat and then rolled it over a concrete highway medium in a cocaine-fuelled haze, totalling the car but leaving him perplexingly uninjured.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

I think (and I'm pulling this out of my med-student rear end) that there is a bit of believing your own lies over time in Jones' case.

Like those hack faith healers who start as nake dhucksters using earpieces and personnel files to 'know' sick people in the audience and call them to be touched and say they are fine now. A few years later of cash, adoration, 24/7 validation and a lot of coke/pills, they forget that it was all a con and start fully believing they are something special and holy in some way. Sure, maybe it -started- as a con, but now there's people of all kinds telling me I'm really healing them, and maybe they're right!

Not all con-men are cold, calculating masterminds. Some are just a bit smarter than their dumb/unstable marks, and start to get high on their own supply. I can see jones going "Well, it was a money squeeze at first, but now the globalist elite is -really- coming for me, just look! And even respectable conservatives are saying I'm a martyr, and since they are not my cash cows/marks, they are on to something, right?"

my question has always been. what do these people believe like in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYQh5xwO4I

like is this poo poo genuine or not, the ladies probably are but the dude i am unsure. i know he is lying about the head of hindu daemon army poo poo but is it because money? is it for some "greater" good. is he just nuts? idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The sad irony was that in the 90s when he was a morning zoo radio shock jock, Beck actually was involved in a horrific traffic accident and somehow managed to walk away scot free. He bought a DMC DeLorean to be a hipster rear end in a top hat and then rolled it over a concrete highway medium in a cocaine-fuelled haze, totalling the car but leaving him perplexingly uninjured.

i mean the dude converted to Mormonism as an adult. his brain was hosed by drugs and he replaced his addiction with another dumber one.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my question has always been. what do these people believe like in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYQh5xwO4I

There's a fairly wide scale that they can fall on between fraud and believer. An important thing is that a lot of people like this feel it's fine to lie as long as it's in service to their beliefs. Some UFO and Bigfoot people have rationalized their hoaxes by saying that they just wanted to create an atmosphere where "actual" witnesses didn't feel alone. If I say I killed a bigfoot and have him in my garage (and it's really just a Halloween costume full of ground beef), then other people will feel like there's less of stigma and will show their pure HD quality tri-pod recorded Bigfoot or UFO video that they've been sitting on out of fear...supposedly. It's probably just them rationalizing the hoax that they did for attention.

Evangelicals, like the ones in the video, have a similar style. They all sort of know it's a dumb game and that their pastor or speaker wasn't really a satanist/addict/wild child, but they feel that redemption stories are important, even if they're lies. That's why you sometimes get fun times where Ben Carson tried to take his bullshit stories on a national stage. It just never occurs to them that other people would question it or care whether it was true.

And of course there's the regular nuts and the con artists.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like is this poo poo genuine or not, the ladies probably are but the dude i am unsure. i know he is lying about the head of hindu daemon army poo poo but is it because money? is it for some "greater" good. is he just nuts? idk.

I'm pretty sure there's a bit of both; they know they have to make waves by talking about whatever the new thing is, so they'll dig around until they find a narrative that they can use to fit the topic.

It's the same reason why PETA goes after Pokemon; because if they went after actual animal abuse we wouldn't end up talking about it and giving them free advertising. No different than the many "hot takes" that stretch an argument to the breaking point for the sake of making an argument about something trending right now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There's a fairly wide scale that they can fall on between fraud and believer. An important thing is that a lot of people like this feel it's fine to lie as long as it's in service to their beliefs. Some UFO and Bigfoot people have rationalized their hoaxes by saying that they just wanted to create an atmosphere where "actual" witnesses didn't feel alone. If I say I killed a bigfoot and have him in my garage (and it's really just a Halloween costume full of ground beef), then other people will feel like there's less of stigma and will show their pure HD quality tri-pod recorded Bigfoot or UFO video that they've been sitting on out of fear...supposedly. It's probably just them rationalizing the hoax that they did for attention.

Evangelicals, like the ones in the video, have a similar style. They all sort of know it's a dumb game and that their pastor or speaker wasn't really a satanist/addict/wild child, but they feel that redemption stories are important, even if they're lies. That's why you sometimes get fun times where Ben Carson tried to take his bullshit stories on a national stage. It just never occurs to them that other people would question it or care whether it was true.

There’s an episode of the pretty good podcast This is Really Happening that covers a guy who had delusions and hallucinations as a kid because of a sleep disorder but grew up in an evangelical community. It’s all about how badly he was messed up by all the adults around him acting like his hallucinations were real and part of a mighty struggle against evil. It wasn’t until he had grown up and moved away that he realized that they thought he was just playing along like they were, or that they had no distinction between reality and that kind of fantasy, which is why they sometimes kill kids when attempting exorcisms.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

That's a very good point. There is a cumplicity principle at stake, too, as well as the need to belong and the human urge to dramatize our problems as a larger battle between good and evil.

You see it a lot in cults and other spiritual movements, In Scien tology, reaching certain levels is supposed to unlock particular abilities/sensations, and people that don't play along are basically held back and asked again and again if they have altered their surroundings via their willpower or purged their body thethans until their skin glowed. You can ask honestly and be forced to take the same course again and again, feeling bad because your friends keep going on about all the whiz stuff they've been seeing/feeling, or smile, say you used the Force, and make yourself a part of the lie. It will never be used against you unless you try to leave the cult. (Going Clear, by Lawrence Wright, is a great book on this).

It's much the same in the 'speaking in tongues' brand of evangelicalism. They never outright tell you to make it up, but keep encouraging you to "let go, let it all out, come on, why are you holding back?" while the whole congregation looks on and the next person is already starting to mumble. Matt Taibbi's book The Great Derangement gives a very intense first-person view of the mindset.

Here I have a confession to make. It's not something that's easy to explain, but here goes. After two days of nearly constant religious instruction, songs, worship and praise -- two days that for me meant an unending regimen of forced and fake responses -- a funny thing started to happen to my head. There is a transformational quality in these external demonstrations of faith and belief. The more you shout out praising the Lord, singing along to those awful acoustic tunes, telling people how blessed you feel and so on, the more a sort of mechanical Christian skin starts to grow all over your real self. Even if you're a degenerate Rolling Stone reporter inwardly chuckling and busting on the whole scene -- even if you're intellectually enraged by the ignorance and arrogant prejudice flowing from the mouth of a terminal-ambition case like Phil Fortenberry -- outwardly you're swaying to the gospel and singing and praising and acting the part, and those outward ministrations assume a kind of sincerity in themselves. And at the same time, that "inner you" begins to get tired of the whole spectacle and sometimes forgets to protest -- in my case checking out into baseball reveries and other daydreams while the outer me did the "work" of singing and praising. At any given moment, which one is the real you?

You may think you know the answer, but by my third day I began to notice how effortlessly my soft-spoken Matt-mannequin was going through his robotic motions of praise, and I was shocked. For a brief, fleeting moment I could see how under different circumstances it would be easy enough to bury your "sinful" self far under the skin of your outer Christian and to just travel through life this way. So long as you go through all the motions, no one will care who you really are underneath. And besides, so long as you are going through all the motions, never breaking the facade, who are you really?

"When the word of God is in your mouth," he said, "the demons can't come out of your body. You have to keep a path clear for the demon to come up through your throat. So under no circumstances pray to God. You can't have God in your mouth. You can cough, you might even want to vomit, but don't pray."

The crowd nodded along solemnly. Fortenberry then explained that he was going to read from an extremely long list of demons and cast them out individually. As he did so, we were supposed to breathe out, keep our mouths open and let the demons out.

And he began.

At first, the whole scene was pure comedy. Fortenberry was standing up at the front of the chapel, reading off a list, and the room was loudly chirping crickets back at him.

"In the name of Jesus, I cast out the demon of incest! In the name of Jesus, I cast out the demon of sexual abuse! In the name of Jesus..."

After a few minutes, there was a little twittering here and there. Nothing serious. I was beginning to think the Deliverance was going to be a bust.

But then it started. Wails and cries from the audience. To my left, a young black man started writhing around in his seat. In front of me and to my right, another young black man with Coke-bottle glasses and a shock of nerdly jheri curl -- a dead ringer for a young Wayne Williams -- started wailing and clutching his head.

"In the name of Jesus," continued Fortenberry, "I cast out the demon of astrology!"

Coughing and spitting noises. Behind me, a bald white man started to wheeze and gurgle, like he was about to puke. Fortenberry, still reading from his list, pointed at the man. On cue, a pair of life coaches raced over to him and began to minister. One dabbed his forehead with oil and fiercely clutched his cranium; the other held a paper bag in front of his mouth.

"In the name of Jesus Christ," said Fortenberry, more loudly now, "I cast out the demon of lust!"

And the man began power-puking into his paper baggie. I couldn't see if any actual vomitus came out, but he made real hurling and retching noises.

Now the women began to pipe in. On the women's side of the chapel the noises began, and it is not hard to explain what these noises sounded like. If you've ever watched The Houston 560 or any other gangbang porn movie, that's what it sounded like, only the sounds were far more intense.

It was not difficult to figure out where the energy was coming from on that side of the room. Some of the husbands glanced nervously over in the direction of their wives.

"In the name of Jesus Christ, I cast out the demon of cancer!" said Fortenberry.

"Oooh! Unnh! Unnnnnh!" wailed a woman in the front row.

"Bleeech!" puked the bald man behind me.

Within about a minute after that, the whole chapel erupted in pandemonium. About half the men and three-fourths of the women were writhing around and either play-puking or screaming. Not wanting to be a bad sport, I raised my hand for one of the life coaches to see.

"Need .. a .. bag," I said as he came over.

He handed me a bag.

"In the name of Jesus, I cast out the demon of handwriting analysis!" shouted Fortenberry.

Handwriting analysis? I jammed the bag over my mouth and started coughing, then went into a very real convulsion of disbelief as I listened to this astounding list, half-laughing and half-retching.

"In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, I cast out the demon of the intellect!" Fortenberry continued. "In the name of Jesus, I cast out the demon of anal fissures!"

Cough, cough!

The minutes raced by. Wayne Williams was now fully prostrate, held up only by a trio of coaches, each of whom took part of his writhing body and propped it up. Another bald man in the front of the chapel was now freaking out in Linda Blair fashion, roaring and making horrific demon noises.

"Rum-balakasha-oom!" shouted Fortenberry in tongues, waving a hand in front of Linda Blair Man. "Cooom-balakasha-froom! In the name of Jesus Christ, I cast out the demon of philosophy!"

Philosophy?

It was obvious that virtually everyone in the crowd was playacting to some degree or another. I was reminded of the Tolstoy story "The Kreutzer Sonata," when the male narrator described marriage as being like the bearded-lady tent in a French circus he'd seen. You pay a few francs to go in, and when you come out, and the carnival barker shouts at you, "Was that not the most amazing thing you've ever seen, monsieur?" -- well, you're too ashamed to admit that you've been had, and so you nod your head and agree: Oui, monsieur, it was really something! That's how people come to say marriage is a blessing, and that's how you can get fifty-odd high school graduates puking demons into three-cent paper bags for a Deliverance.

The whole thing -- the demonic expulsions, the trading of miraculous wives' tales, the crazy End Times theology based on dire predictions that come and go uneventfully once a year or so -- it's all a con that is done with the consent of the conned. Which is what gives it strength. If everybody agrees to believe, it is real.

The whole book is interesting enough, and a whole chapter is here: https://www.alternet.org/story/84043/an_atheist_goes_undercover_to_join_the_flock_of_mad_pastor_john_hagee

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah but poo poo like that just feels deeply hosed up and wrong, i guess its just a personal thing but doesn't it all being a bullshit lie kinda ruins the redemption narrative. i always feel like the evangelical community and alot of other communities that care more about surface purity/etc all have this emperor has no clothes feel, accept everyone is the emperor. everyone is naked and everyone knows everyone else and themselves are naked but because they don't want to look foolish/unchristian. they just fake it. because its all stack of cards at the end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but poo poo like that just feels deeply hosed up and wrong, i guess its just a personal thing but doesn't it all being a bullshit lie kinda ruins the redemption narrative. i always feel like the evangelical community and alot of other communities that care more about surface purity/etc all have this emperor has no clothes feel, accept everyone is the emperor. everyone is naked and everyone knows everyone else and themselves are naked but because they don't want to look foolish/unchristian. they just fake it. because its all stack of cards at the end.

That’s literally it. They are very up-front about valuing only appearance and about considering truth totally subjective. Their support of Trump has only gone up over time, as they prefer an imaginary future world to the actual one and contort their every belief to see the present as leading to it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Sephyr posted:

cumplicity
heh

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Y'all ought to read "The Faith Healers" by James Randi if you haven't, amazing book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

That’s literally it. They are very up-front about valuing only appearance and about considering truth totally subjective. Their support of Trump has only gone up over time, as they prefer an imaginary future world to the actual one and contort their every belief to see the present as leading to it.

i mean they don't even care about the "future" outside the fabled end times and life after death. like gently caress, i am not religious at all but i have family and a gf who are deeply faithful and most of what its based on is hope and helping people(they are mostly catholic and my gf is "ex" Mennonite) evangelicalism(along with alot of the more reactionary belief systems like salafism and that super orthdox jewish sect) is loving depressing social cancers. its sad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just really want to repost this amazing video that touches on the topic slantwise.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There's two types of "lying" that apply in this case, depending on the type of psychology an individual has.

One type is "it doesn't matter what's true, it matters what gets me what I want." That can be attention, money, influence, whatever. I think this type is rarer than the other.

The other is "I don't believe it, but it's more important to my group that I believe it than whether it's a lie."

There are a lot of religious groups that put so much value on certain rules and tropes that reality is no longer as important as conforming to an accepted view, to the point that accepting a thing to be factual or nonfactual can be immoral because it becomes a threat to the rules and tropes that bind the group together.

It helps to remember that these are usually also groups that supply a worldview, social support, and often monetary and charitable support, so that it's extremely difficult for someone to risk being cast out. They'd be left entirely alone, which is a hard thing for anyone, let alone if you live in a community where the group has a strong hold.

Never underestimate how powerful the urge to be part of one's community is to humans. We're very social animals, and it can be devastating and excruciating to defy what we see as our group.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

This was a really good review.
I'd like to make a suggestion to this crowd to cross post game reviews like Noah Cadwell Gervais and Mandalore or whoever else is good to The Outside-SA LP thread which could use the help.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This was a really good review.
I'd like to make a suggestion to this crowd to cross post game reviews like Noah Cadwell Gervais and Mandalore or whoever else is good to The Outside-SA LP thread which could use the help.

Please, yes, anything to keep them from crawling back into the DarkSydePhil mud.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

So like something's going down regarding Nick Nocturne and Nyx Fears apparently?
https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1027394290484486145

I dunno much in the way of details, but that post gives off major douche chills.

EDIT: gently caress, shoulda screenshotted!

EDIT2: Original tweet still up:
https://twitter.com/JeSSelsener/status/1027390350481129484

Screenshot of the chat in qestion:

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Puppy Time posted:

So like something's going down regarding Nick Nocturne and Nyx Fears apparently?
https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1027394290484486145

I dunno much in the way of details, but that post gives off major douche chills.

More context from that thread:

https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1027400217568665601

https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1027400923570745344

IDK much, but it was enough for me to un-Patron Nick.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, statistically speaking it is usually the one who says they hate drama that actually causes it, multiplied by whatever degree is appropriate for posting it publicly on the internet. It never feels right to speculate about the lives of content producers, but if I were to judge which one of them is more likely to misread or not understand something very well, I know which one I’d choose.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I admit I'm not giving Nick much leeway because Nyx already got transphobed out of his Discord and he didn't do poo poo personally to try and fix it. His mods did, of their own agency, but the damage was already done.

And not that it affects the morality, but it's also easier for me because his channel has kinda gone down the tubes since all his videos have been 5 hour livestreams.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I admit I'm not giving Nick much leeway because Nyx already got transphobed out of his Discord and he didn't do poo poo personally to try and fix it. His mods did, of their own agency, but the damage was already done.

Didn't know about that. Goddamn.

I was just disappointed to find out that the smug douche stuff that occasionally popped up in his scripts wasn't just him putting on an act.

ETA:
Further context in the replies:

https://twitter.com/Nyxfears/status/1027402701901103104

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 9, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nick Nocturne, welcome to the Intellectual Dark Web!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Who is whom again

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Nick Nocturne, welcome to the Intellectual Dark Web!

The first rule of the Intellectual Dark Web is that you don't talk about it.

The 2nd rule is BUY THIS BOOK 12 RULES FOR LIFE RIGHT NOW PLZ USE AMAZON AFFILIATE LINK

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Who are these people and what is happening.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I dunno, you could do without a venting channel in your Discord. I seen what they can become.

Edit: They can become cynical jerkoff zones but Nick assuming it would be a hugbox I don't think he's worried about that. Even if it's a fluff channel, what's the harm?

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
This has a distinct deja-vu flavour about it. Hasn't something like this happened before with Nick?