Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

boar guy posted:

i mean im in chapter 7 and im still watching more cutscenes than i am playing the game

I spent a lot of time on the claw machines (And other side activities too I guess), so maybe that just makes me think there was more game time between cut scenes than there is. Not that I minded to be fair, I dug the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i keep waiting for the game to say 'okay, there's the open world, go play in it' but you get railroaded around quite a bit. it's good because the story is good but its not really an open world game like a GTA is

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Iirc it won't truly open until you finish the story, but you often get free reign between story beats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

boar guy posted:

i keep waiting for the game to say 'okay, there's the open world, go play in it' but you get railroaded around quite a bit. it's good because the story is good but its not really an open world game like a GTA is

Yeah, because the game world is smaller so you spend less time traveling to your next mission marker.

Also if you're in chapter 7 you can just, walk to another thing probably. If there's no event going on like the first one where you had to hang out with Nishikiyama and do karaoke and thus, no big no signs on your map, then go do something else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

boar guy posted:

I feel like I don't see this word anymore but to me the GTAs, Just Causes, and Saints Rows are "sandboxes" under the umbrella of open world games.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

I feel like I don't see this word anymore but to me the GTAs, Just Causes, and Saints Rows are "sandboxes" under the umbrella of open world games.

this may be an uninteresting derail but i always thought games like EVE or Elite: Dangerous with literally no story to follow were the sandbox games

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

boar guy posted:

You've been able to walk away from the plot and do whatever since like... Chapter 2 I think? Maybe 3? When I first played it I was the same for the first couple of chapters, but I kept getting caught up in side stories on my way to story missions, and they'd take me to a place with an interesting looking activity and I'd get sidetracked, until I realised "Oh, just go and do whatever you feel like in the open world whenever you feel like". And for the GTA comparison, the way I think of it is that Yakuza is open world (you can go and look around and do side stuff pretty much whenever you like in any order you like) but GTA is an open world sandbox (where they expect you to spend a lot of time making your own fun with wanted ratings and stealing cars and so on). I prefer the small but dense open world like Yakuza to a giant open world like GTA where the map is huge but the actual game content is spread out with miles of nothing in particular in between.

If you havent got to the real estate tychoon stuff yet, when you do is as good a time as any to take a story break and do side stuff that seems fun/interesting.

Fake Edit: What lobok said.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

boar guy posted:

this may be an uninteresting derail but i always thought games like EVE or Elite: Dangerous with literally no story to follow were the sandbox games

I'd say it just depends on how you're combining terms. GTA3 was an open world sandbox. You had your missions to do in open world format but also the freedom to go play Jenga with cars on the freeway. Whereas something that's just sandbox is uhh... Kerbal Space Program? (Never played it, do you just build and test rockets?) EVE I thought was an MMO, so "story" in comparison to any mostly singleplayer game is going to make for weird comparisons.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

boar guy posted:

This isn't a GTA game where the story waits for Kiryu to advance it, so to speak - there is always a pressing need to go somewhere to talk to someone, rescue someone, whatever. But what you need to know is that, if there aren't any walls on the map where your character is saying "I have to go rescue/talk to/seduce this person first" then you can do whatever you want. Ol' Jim is about to be executed? Eh whatever he can wait while you talk to some pretty women and play the crane game for a few hours.

And generally these parts are pretty explicit - there will be a railroad of invisible walls preventing you from going anywhere except down a narrow path.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, you're kinda forgetting the part where you're playing a JRPG that isn't Majora's Mask. poo poo's not gonna pop off just because you didn't show up to the next story beat in 20 hours. Go around town, eat everything off the menu in every restaurant, go play some Majong, head to the batting cages, get good at disco, the only real reason to keep going on the story is if you want to advance things more so you can switch to the other character.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

This isn't a GTA game where the story waits for Kiryu to advance it, so to speak - there is always a pressing need to go somewhere to talk to someone, rescue someone, whatever. But what you need to know is that, if there aren't any walls on the map where your character is saying "I have to go rescue/talk to/seduce this person first" then you can do whatever you want. Ol' Jim is about to be executed? Eh whatever he can wait while you talk to some pretty women and play the crane game for a few hours.

And generally these parts are pretty explicit - there will be a railroad of invisible walls preventing you from going anywhere except down a narrow path.

Look man Jim will be super excited to see your crane game collection. It will be worth it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sounds like a buncha nice choreographed mini games in a well-designed map-world hub thing where you do things kinda game-box.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Yakuzoidvania

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samuringa posted:

Yakuzoidvania

This is a metroidvania where you spend 80% of the gametime on completely unrelated minigames.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

This is a metroidvania where you spend 80% of the gametime on completely unrelated minigames.

Except for the rip-off factor itself, you could probably adapt all sorts of characters and franchises to the Yakuza model and it'd be pretty cool.

Simon Belmont is definitely going to kill Dracula... at some point.. but first he's going to play some horseshoes by the farm, go to a hall for drinking games, and if he invests in more shops maybe he can also take down the Five Merchants.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lobok posted:

I'd say it just depends on how you're combining terms. GTA3 was an open world sandbox. You had your missions to do in open world format but also the freedom to go play Jenga with cars on the freeway. Whereas something that's just sandbox is uhh... Kerbal Space Program? (Never played it, do you just build and test rockets?) EVE I thought was an MMO, so "story" in comparison to any mostly singleplayer game is going to make for weird comparisons.

My problem with the sandbox moniker is that the GTA games started as incredibly shallow sandboxes (you can do missions where you drive cars, kill people, and gently caress with the police OR you can roam around the open world driving cars, killing people, and loving with police!) and never really improved very far past that. I guess SA had the RPG stuff that added mild consequence to certain choices. And every game that draws from GTA pretty much ended up the same way. Saints Row and Just Cause are arguably even less sandbox-y because while they add more outlandish options for player expression, they also directly codify a lot of them into the core gameplay loop.

The only open world games that I can think of that have genuine sandbox elements are the Shadow of Mordor games; the orc hierarchy is a genuine achievement in open-ended system design.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

Whereas something that's just sandbox is uhh... Kerbal Space Program? (Never played it, do you just build and test rockets?)

More or less. Once you begin flying a rocket you don't have to stop flying the rocket unless it's destroyed. You can go anywhere it's capable of taking you at any time and you're gated only by your design and piloting skills. Recent versions added an objective-reward loop and a parts unlocking system but even when you have an assigned goal or goals you aren't forced to pursue it by anything stricter than a very generous time limit.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Aug 8, 2018

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

Except for the rip-off factor itself, you could probably adapt all sorts of characters and franchises to the Yakuza model and it'd be pretty cool.

Simon Belmont is definitely going to kill Dracula... at some point.. but first he's going to play some horseshoes by the farm, go to a hall for drinking games, and if he invests in more shops maybe he can also take down the Five Merchants.

A Fist of the North Star game in the Yakuza 6 engine came out a couple months ago in Japan and is coming everywhere else later this year, so you're not wrong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Every game is basically a system of rules and a set of objectives. You can think of the rules as forming a "toy" if you like, and it only becomes a game when there's a purpose behind the player's interactions with the rules. An open-world game with zero objectives beyond what the player comes up with themselves would be purely a toy then; players could make their own games within the toy but they wouldn't be imposed by the people that made the toy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Twitch posted:

A Fist of the North Star game in the Yakuza 6 engine came out a couple months ago in Japan and is coming everywhere else later this year, so you're not wrong.

I didn't know that was a thing I wanted. But man is it certainly a thing I want

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

I didn't know that was a thing I wanted. But man is it certainly a thing I want

It's not just in the Dragon Engine, it's by the Yakuza team and also with the same voice actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFvOwyIzGN8

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

It's not just in the Dragon Engine, it's by the Yakuza team and also with the same voice actors.

Did he just pick up a sound effect and beat a man to death?

I really need to watch more than 5 episodes of FotNS someday. It's on my list with LoGH but there's so many episodes and they aren't in English.

Although the language I'm pretty sure doesn't matter in FotNS

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Actually Max Hoffman's game was explicitly built on Tony Hawk. Dave Mirra was a brand new engine that on a lot of ways was superior (ragdoll!)

I think it was the same engine used in Thrasher: Skate and Destroy actually.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Twitch posted:

Oh hell yeah, I forgot about that game. Don't know when I can play it though because it comes out soon-ish and I have other game commitments.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Len posted:

I really need to watch more than 5 episodes of FotNS someday. It's on my list with LoGH but there's so many episodes and they aren't in English.

I'd have to go looking but I'm certain FotNS has been completely fansubbed in english. Same with the manga, if that's more your boat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd have to go looking but I'm certain FotNS has been completely fansubbed in english. Same with the manga, if that's more your boat.

I'm one of those people that prefer dubs honestly. And especially with LoGH where there's all the names and space drama to follow.

I dunno if it still is but FotNS was on funimations website with English subs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What I like about Yakuza over the recent GTAs is that the storytelling is sincere, and it never undermines its moments of pathos with a poo poo joke. A story in which the characters are capable of actual warmth despite being deep in organized-crime is a far more engaging one than another that revels in the South Park school of "Everything Sucks". The side-content is better too.

I really like the story and characters in this game. So far Kuze is definitely my favorite antagonist. He's a pretty great piece of poo poo and it's nice that every character, basically, has a pretty distinct personality and motivation that makes it easy to tell how they'd react and why rather than just being "the crazy guy who does crazy things" or "the evil one who does evil things".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Len posted:

It very much matters
these big muscle men speak from the heart about their wants, their desires and the lengths they go to achieve them

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

I'm one of those people that prefer dubs honestly. And especially with LoGH where there's all the names and space drama to follow.

I dunno if it still is but FotNS was on funimations website with English subs

To be blunt, I wouldn't hold my breath for dubs for FotNS or LoGH, given their age and length.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

What is LoGH

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

League of Galactic Homos

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

StrixNebulosa posted:

To be blunt, I wouldn't hold my breath for dubs for FotNS or LoGH, given their age and length.

Yeah I'm going to have to tough it up and power through LoGH. I found it on my old laptops hard drive recently from when ADTRW did that simulwatch like 10 years ago. It's on my to do list.

Right before The Wire

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Oh yeah. 2:21 for those looking for it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah I'm going to have to tough it up and power through LoGH. I found it on my old laptops hard drive recently from when ADTRW did that simulwatch like 10 years ago. It's on my to do list.

Right before The Wire

As much as I love anime and LoGH do the Wire first, it's like literally nothing else and does it so well.

LoGH = Legend of the Galactic Heroes, an old anime that's 100+ episodes of political wrangling, starship fleet fights, and every single male Japanese VA from the era because it has a buttload of characters. It's space opera mashed with like, Napoleonic War-esque trappings and it's very good. Asks that age-old question: is a corrupt democracy better or worse than a benevolent absolute monarchy?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
An extremely specific small thing that probably only pleases me: The intro of God of War gives credits to the national dubbing team, which usually only get a very quick flash at the very end of the finishing credits. The quality is pretty great and it's good that they let us know who did it, for once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHbX_-H6IkM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

As much as I love anime and LoGH do the Wire first, it's like literally nothing else and does it so well.

Don't listen to this fool, do LOGH first. You're supposed to do the power equity thing first before going to the more quality choice.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Let It Die is a merciless moneypit of a game that I fully intend on dropping soon, but in the meantime it's free and charming and Uncle Death is adorable and funny.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like the mission statement of this tread is 'nobody would've batted an eye if they half-assed it, but they didn't, and that's amazing'. And somehow over the last week, there has been two separate instances of fighting games introducing clone characters that are exactly that, so while I'd say they're a bit bigger than just 'little things' they totally count for this thread in my book.

Dragon Ball FighterZ released their third DLC pack, Goku and Vegeta. ...Yeah, just regular-rear end Goku and Vegeta, because their base-game forms are Super Saiyans. They're pretty recycled but have a handful of new moves, since they probably weren't allocated a lot of resources compared to other DLCs, but they did something amazing with what could've been a really lazy pair of characters by basing everything about them on the original Saiyan Saga. Goku's new animations have a slight goofiness to them because the series still had a bit of the original Dragon Ball's silliness at the time, while Vegeta's got a lot of the pure smugness he had back before he became less of a villain later on. Nobody expected much interesting from these characters, but by deciding to make them accurate to a specific early period they're suddenly really interesting.

And while it's not out yet, Smash Bros. Ultimate decided to just embrace clones by not considering them full characters, and apparently once they admitted that they got way more creative and liberal with them. They seem to have done a lot of work with the animations especially to make the new clones feel different from their originals, and it goes a long way. My favorite and perhaps one of the best examples is Dark Samus, who takes Samus' really precise and mechanical movements and makes them instead really flowy and expressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXG-oI6VChg

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Screaming Idiot posted:

Let It Die is a merciless moneypit of a game that I fully intend on dropping soon, but in the meantime it's free and charming and Uncle Death is adorable and funny.

I dont know how much its changed since I stopped playing it, but I honestly thought the first 30ish floors were excellent, then the merciless grind for black and red metals started in order to stand a chance. Its one of those free to play games where, if they took out the free to play mechanics and rebalanced it to compensate, I'd cheerfully have bought as an actual game. I did eventually make it to the last "proper" floor (they patched in a post game with higher floors at some point), but wanted to grind more metal for armour before attempting the final boss and just fell away from the game before ever getting enough metal.

As free to play games go, its actually a pretty decent one. I chucked them a couple of quid for death metals not because I needed them but because I figured I'd got enough play time out the game that the developers should get something out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Samuringa posted:

KenshiroHasDefinitelyKilledAManBefore.mpg