Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
give me one good reason why shouldn't i get one of these and turn it into an rv and just drive down to belize and never be seen again

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...prm=&pnLink=yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
not even 3,200 miles. wtf?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its probably built entirely of parts you have to buy from defense contractors and thus un-maintainable?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
make your own parts in your home machine shop

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

There are a lot of machine shops in Belize because of lack of access to parts. Most parts have to be shipped from the US through Mexico and take forever. The Mennonites have the auto industry on lock there, there is a community called Spanish Lookout that has a ton of machine/part/tire shops.

I miss Belize :(

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

There are a lot of machine shops in Belize because of lack of access to parts. Most parts have to be shipped from the US through Mexico and take forever. The Mennonites have the auto industry on lock there, there is a community called Spanish Lookout that has a ton of machine/part/tire shops.

I miss Belize :(

that's awesome

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaRGjKwPgic

new apetor film

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

dudes put a lot of production value into nordic redneck drinking videos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

dude is really dedicated to drinking

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

give me one good reason why shouldn't i get one of these and turn it into an rv and just drive down to belize and never be seen again

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...prm=&pnLink=yes

fuel consumption on that beast would be murderous

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have the next two weeks off and I'm going to walk around in some dirt

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

right on my dude

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
here I am browsing ultrasignup and everything is either too soon, exactly when I can't sign up, or I need to wait longer to see whats going to show up next year :argh:

lots of soloing it is

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

sat - wed is going to be cabin on the lake time!

here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dang, very nice.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
weirdest loss yet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

sat - wed is going to be cabin on the lake time!

here

:argh:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

1 hr 20 minute drive away from Glacier Nat'l Park too :smug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

its probably built entirely of parts you have to buy from defense contractors and thus un-maintainable?

most of the moving parts are gonna be off the shelf parts. e.g. the engine is a cat diesel, the transmission is an allison

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah, defense contractors indeed :getin:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

enjoyeinge myself

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

that's why you want to let the wood burn down a little more

i'm the same way i've eaten my share of ashy fuckin hot dogs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is that cheese or some kind of meat?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

swordfish steaks

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
camping photos are neat and all, but there needs to be more people leaving tech behind in this thread

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if we leave tech to support ourselves selling woo and posting instagram pics to help us market it?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

camping photos are neat and all, but there needs to be more people leaving tech behind in this thread

start with shutting off your computer

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
bump

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

bro your potato (?) is burning

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it's called "blackened", you philistine!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
tech is literally the only way i can eke out enough money to live in non-poverty on this dumb planet

i can't just leave it behind

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly we need a better word than Tech to describe what we're actually talking about here

Like -- arc welding is technology, but that's not what's ruining the planet (except in a very abstract "capitalism ruins everything" way). Surgical tools are technology. Air traffic control is technology. LED light bulbs are technology.

The bad technology is computer technology, and more specifically it's computer technology where the overarching goal is harvesting your data to sell you things, and playing little psychological tricks to keep you coming back and revealing more about yourself and buying more poo poo

We need a word for that

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"tech industry" works just fine

the goal of the tech industry is to create more tech to enable others to create tech to then sell back to you. no value is generated, only more tech in an endless cycle of parasitic profit-taking from actual productive industries

real jobs use tech to enable their actual purpose, the entire purpose of the tech industry is tech alone

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I’m about to clean and filet 12 whitefish

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

I’m about to clean and filet 12 whitefish

why do the fish gotta be white?

hahah just playing. enjoy your meal!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Stymie posted:

"tech industry" works just fine

the goal of the tech industry is to create more tech to enable others to create tech to then sell back to you. no value is generated, only more tech in an endless cycle of parasitic profit-taking from actual productive industries

real jobs use tech to enable their actual purpose, the entire purpose of the tech industry is tech alone

stymie have you read the death of homo economicus? you'd probably like it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jony neuemonic posted:

stymie have you read the death of homo economicus? you'd probably like it.

reading does not involve labor. please don’t even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

President Beep posted:

reading does not involve labor. please don’t even.

that's ok because stymie doesn't do labor either