Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

The worst packaging I've experienced is the Twilight Zone complete series Blu-ray. The disc hubs use two small but very rigid clips to secure the disc. Removing the disc requires prying/flexing the disc way past my comfort level. Reinserting it requires pushing the clear center portion with so much force that I'm convinced I'm going to crack the disc every single time. Luckily I haven't cracked any yet, but there's no reason packaging should make me sweat this much.
All the classic CBS TV blu ray releases are like that, I think. Star Trek is the same way. It's a shame because they're great sets for very cheap prices. And it's not like they cheaped out on the packaging, it's just poor design.

The best part is both my Star Trek and Twilight Zone had a few discs rattling around loose in there when I opened them. Given that there's no possible way for those discs to fall out of the holders once they're in, I can only assume they failed to insert some properly at manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The worst is the original Blu-ray release of the Back to the Future trilogy. They had to include directions on how to get the discs out and put them back in, and it’s a nightmare to actually do.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

How in god's holy hell did I miss the news that Sátántangó is getting a 4K restoration, a Blu-ray release AND A THEATRICAL RUN next year?

I'm already prepping how to inform my wife that she needs to watch the kids for 7 hours because I'm going to see a movie.

THIS NEWS OWNS SO MUCH. Satantango is loving amazing and I will move heaven and earth for the chance to see it in an actual theater.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

wa27 posted:

All the classic CBS TV blu ray releases are like that, I think. Star Trek is the same way. It's a shame because they're great sets for very cheap prices. And it's not like they cheaped out on the packaging, it's just poor design.

The best part is both my Star Trek and Twilight Zone had a few discs rattling around loose in there when I opened them. Given that there's no possible way for those discs to fall out of the holders once they're in, I can only assume they failed to insert some properly at manufacturing.

There were a couple of seasons of The Simpsons that had the discs slide in and out of a concertina cardboard sleeve. It was fantastic at scuffing DVDs right out of a brand new box.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure the cases for Curb Your Enthusiasm were designed by the same guy who made the lament configuration box from Hellraiser.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just a heads up, Sicario Blu-ray is $4.00 on Amazon.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

trdn89 posted:

THIS NEWS OWNS SO MUCH. Satantango is loving amazing and I will move heaven and earth for the chance to see it in an actual theater.

I still haven't forgiven myself for missing a showing at the Danish Film Institute where they served goulash 2/3 of the way through. :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Kino Lorber are releasing Kazaam and It's Pat: The Movie on October 16th.

Why

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s Patchas Weencin it it’s great

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also what movies of kino Lorber do you recommend

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Empress Brosephine posted:

The blaxploitation ones.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino said they had to get garbage like It's Pat to get the Selznick and ABC Films libraries.

On the other hand, they are giving Cabin Boy a Criterion-level release.

They'll probably sell more copies of Kazaam than some of their best films.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Warts and all, their release of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the best out there.

Also:

Pioneers of African-American Cinema (be warned - some of the films are rough to watch)
The Lion in Winter
The Adventures of Captain Marvel
GOG
Take the Money and Run
Barton Fink
The Covered Wagon
Running Wild

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Wanderers is a good one too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kino Lorber also put out a really nice blu ray of The Long Goodbye.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you’re into spaghetti westerns at all, the Sabata films (Sabata, Adios Sabata, Return of Sabata) range from solid to great. You should also pick up A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker regardless of whether you’re into westerns, because that movie is fantastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Kino Lorber also put out a really nice blu ray of The Long Goodbye.

Forgot about that!

My wallet will hate me next Kino sale because I’ve been holding off for a while with all the other sales going on.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So my “America: Lost and Found” set came today. 1). JFC, Barnes and Noble has great shipping speeds, goddamn. 2) how should i put this in my collection?

I figured I would just file it under A but the individual films could be sorted. I’ll proly go w the former but wanted to know how people handle situations like these.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

So my “America: Lost and Found” set came today. 1). JFC, Barnes and Noble has great shipping speeds, goddamn. 2) how should i put this in my collection?

I figured I would just file it under A but the individual films could be sorted. I’ll proly go w the former but wanted to know how people handle situations like these.

By spine number, obviously.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Under G for Garbage

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Under H for Head.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

wa27 posted:

Under H for Head.

or W, A, or R

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

or W, A, or R

What does that spell?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

lol I'm reading Kino Lorber's Facebook page and there's people complaining that It's Pat: The Movie doesn't have extras on Blu-ray

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It definitely deserves a commentary.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

It definitely deserves a commentary.

I can't think of many films I'd less want to hear the commentary for than this.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The dude who directed It's Pat the Movie also directed the music videos for Push the Lil Daisies and Baby Got Back, so he gets a lifelong pass from me.

EDIT: I would like a feature that points out the uncredited rewrites Quentin Tarantino did on the script, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

EDIT: I would like a feature that points out the uncredited rewrites Quentin Tarantino did on the script, though.

WHAT?!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

quote:

Playboy: You were hired to do a rewrite of It’s Pat. As one now familar with the perspiring androgyne from Saturday Night Live, is Pat a he or a she?

Tarantino: The androgyny aspect is only a part of Pat’s appeal. What I love about the character is that Pat is so f*cking obnoxious. To tell the truth, I don’t know what Pat is. But I know what I want Pat to be: I want Pat to be a girl. There was only one sketch that Julia Sweeney, the actress who plays Pat did on Saturday Night Live that gave a clue to what Pat is. It was the sketch that Pat did with Harvey Keitel. They’re stranded on a deserted island and they have sex – and Harvey still doesn’t know what Pat is. And the thing is, they kissed in it. At one point they were thinking of taking the kiss out of the sketch. But Harvey, being Harvey, demanded they keep it in, that there’d be no integrity without the kiss. So that was the first time we’d seen Pat in an intimate situation – a smooch. There is a certain way that you hold your head, the way you come in for a kiss. And sitting there, watching it, I thought that Pat didn’t kiss like a guy. Pat kissed like a girl.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I love how the interviewer didn't ask "How the hell did come about?" but instead went with the least interesting question possible, which Tarantino took in a really strange direction.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pat is intersex. There I solved the loving mystery.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'll never point a finger at a movie and say it doesn't belong in glorious 1080P high definition when I'm achingly pining for a Blu-ray of Transylvania 6-5000.

EDIT: I also deeply treasure my double pack release of Student Bodies and the absolutely truly sublime Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again. I will always shill for that loving movie - if you like really really stupid, shamelessly funny poo poo, I'm talking Man With Two Brains/Freaked/Hot Rod levels of stupid, Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again is your jam.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 9, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I'd much rather hear from the makers of weirdo questionable movies than boring ol' good ones.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd much rather hear from the makers of weirdo questionable movies than boring ol' good ones.

It's Pat is hardly what I'd call a "weirdo questionable movie". It's just a lovely forgotten comedy based around a one joke skit from SNL.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

It would be like listening to someone watch their eighth grade talent show, but if their eighth grade talent show involved a massive unicycle accident with multiple casualties.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

It would be like listening to someone watch their eighth grade talent show, but if their eighth grade talent show involved a massive unicycle accident with multiple casualties.

You always have such a way with words.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

I like to file my stuff Alphabetically. I can't say I have any sets at the moment, but I would probably keep them together. Then again also I split up sequels based on titles, so Army of Darkness comes before Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Not that it was ever funny, but it feels like Pat is out of their time today. Like, the concept of someone not being clearly male or female is just something we encounter. I encounter it on a near daily basis - one of my coworkers goes by "they."

Like, I just can't imagine a modern audience looking at It's Pat and not being disgusted.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cemetry Gator posted:

Not that it was ever funny, but it feels like Pat is out of their time today. Like, the concept of someone not being clearly male or female is just something we encounter. I encounter it on a near daily basis - one of my coworkers goes by "they."

Like, I just can't imagine a modern audience looking at It's Pat and not being disgusted.
I never really encountered Pat in either TV or movie form back in the day and I couldn’t get through the trailer. I think you’re right; the central “joke” doesn’t work at all anymore and based on the trailer that’s all it had going for it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Boywhiz88 posted:

take the individual films and mix them in with your other movies alphabetically, then throw away the outer box

or just have a separate section of your shelf for box sets, that's what I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Then again also I split up sequels based on titles, so Army of Darkness comes before Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2.

triggered so hard by this