Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kurieg posted:

That's why they invented lazy susans. Microwaves reflect around the inside of the box and there will be places where the waveforms cancel themselves out and no heating takes place, rotating the food should theoretically move everything through both live and dead zones equally.

Flatbed microwaves with the waveguide in them are nice but cost a bit more so you're unlikely to see them in the office kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

All I can see is it still works, why would you need to replace that?

Known issue; workaround in place. Ticket closed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kurieg posted:

That's why they invented lazy susans. Microwaves reflect around the inside of the box and there will be places where the waveforms cancel themselves out and no heating takes place, rotating the food should theoretically move everything through both live and dead zones equally.
This explains one of the reasons that the breakroom microwave here sucks... thanks.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
As I'm sure most of you know, XO was acquired by Verizon. One of our customers has a XO circuit at each of their sites to run the VPN back to our datacenter. One morning, the connection in their Boston office went down. XO confirmed the outage, but was really light on details. The next day, it was still down. Still no meaningful details. It's worth noting that each call we placed to them had a 2 hour plus hold time during this. Finally, the afternoon on the second day (two full business days after the outage began), XO tells me that all customers out of that office are down. Power to the XO cabinets was disconnected by building management because of past-due rent. In the merger, there were 'some difficulties' integrating XO's accounting system with Verizon, and the info for this location "fell through the cracks". It took them a 3rd full business day to get service restored, a good 24 hours after they had not only identified the problem but realized they couldn't keep it secret any longer.

Funny how it's never customer billing info that gets misplaced, right?

My dad spent his life working on oil drilling regulations, and DESPISES the oil companies. I am beginning to understand this, but ISPs are my oil companies.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 9, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha those incompetent fucks.

My SLA with them was 1 days worth of service per hour of downtime. 3 days is going to run two and half months of service per customer.

e.
Ahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, only if they pay up.

Morgan Freeman voice: They won't.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 9, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

As I'm sure most of you know, XO was acquired by Verizon. One of our customers has a XO circuit at each of their sites to run the VPN back to our datacenter. One morning, the connection in their Boston office went down. XO confirmed the outage, but was really light on details. The next day, it was still down. Still no meaningful details. It's worth noting that each call we placed to them had a 2 hour plus hold time during this. Finally, the afternoon on the second day (two full business days after the outage began), XO tells me that all customers out of that office are down. Power to the XO cabinets was disconnected by building management because of past-due rent. In the merger, there were 'some difficulties' integrating XO's accounting system with Verizon, and the info for this location "fell through the cracks". It took them a 3rd full business day to get service restored, a good 24 hours after they had not only identified the problem but realized they couldn't keep it secret any longer.

Funny how it's never customer billing info that gets misplaced, right?

My dad spent his life working on oil drilling regulations, and DESPISES the oil companies. I am beginning to understand this, but ISPs are my oil companies.
My dad is enjoying an ongoing fight with his ISP where they keep disconnecting him for non-payment because their bank sometimes brainfarts and doesn't tell them it has received money to the account. There's a single reconnection fee due from the first time this happened on the account which he refuses to pay because it's their bank's fault they weren't notified of the payment. Every six months or so, they disconnect him again. Then see his account is fine, and has been always except for this stupid fee that everyone refuses to do anything about. Then reconnect him. Then add another fee to the account. Which he refuses to pay again...

At this point he's thinking of just switching ISP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

each call we placed to them had a 2 hour plus hold time

:stare:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

XO is such a poo poo company. They used to have a huge call center here, it's probably down to 1/4 the size after round after round of acquisitions and mergers and re-structuring and layoffs. I have a bunch of friends who used to work there over the years.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arquinsiel posted:

He's lucky that he has the ability to.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

My dad is enjoying an ongoing fight with his ISP where they keep disconnecting him for non-payment because their bank sometimes brainfarts and doesn't tell them it has received money to the account. There's a single reconnection fee due from the first time this happened on the account which he refuses to pay because it's their bank's fault they weren't notified of the payment. Every six months or so, they disconnect him again. Then see his account is fine, and has been always except for this stupid fee that everyone refuses to do anything about. Then reconnect him. Then add another fee to the account. Which he refuses to pay again...

He should have switched the second time this happened. This is just poo poo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
User: I haven't been receiving email since 5:00p yesterday! Other users are fine and I restarted my computer
Tech: *remotes into computer, notes "working offline" on the status bar for outlook, deselects 'work offline' in ribbon, notes mail arriving*
User: You're a genius!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ilkhan posted:

User: I haven't been receiving email since 5:00p yesterday! Other users are fine and I restarted my computer
Tech: *remotes into computer, notes "working offline" on the status bar for outlook, deselects 'work offline' in ribbon, notes mail arriving*
User: How did that get turned on? Did you make a change last night? I didn't click that!

I fixed that for you.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

I fixed that for you.

The first time it happens, you get "you're a genius!" The second time, you get "i didn't click that, did you make a change to my computer?" The third time you get "This can't keep happening, I'm spending too much time working on this problem instead of doing my job". The forth time you get "I need a new computer, this one is clearly broken!"

The tenth time you get "I've never hit ALT and then S and then W in my life, you're lying, this can't be my fault. And even if it was, that's stupid and Outlook is still broken, I demand a fix from IT. you people do nothing but sit around all day telling people they're wrong and i'm sick of it. we're better off buying IT support from overseas since you're so drat unhelpful!"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ticket comes in from a large management consulting company. Super critical, urgent and whatever. I ask the guy for logs, no answer, 48 hours later I repeat, no answer, 48 hours later I ask again, his reply "I don't have time to work on this now. Please close the ticket". And this guy has 5, 6 tickets open with us at any given time and he always pulls this poo poo. Dude must have the worst case of ADD in history.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. My choices are Comcast or high-latency options.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

User: You're a genius!
Is there a way to disable offline mode for Outlook in Group Policy?

I cannot count the number of times I have run into this over the years. First time in awhile in Outlook 2016 the other day, and I had to Google where to find the setting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Force the Outlook profile to run online (as opposed to caching) mode.
Bonus: Never again weird issues with OST filed.
Problem: Users will now complain about searches not returning full result sets.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
My parents house is a few miles off a road that connects two parallel interstate highways that truckers sometimes take if they need to switch which highway they're on. Occasionally they get lost and end up trying to turn down my parents road and ripping out their phone line since the road really wasn't made for tractor trailers.

My mom has had to call Verizon multiple times about this, and every time she's had to argue that the problem isn't her dsl modem, the problem is the phone line with the torn off end laying in her front yard. At least it's been the same contractor coming out to fix it and since he knows exactly what he's in for he comes prepared and gets it done quick.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The first time it happens, you get "you're a genius!" The second time, you get "i didn't click that, did you make a change to my computer?" The third time you get "This can't keep happening, I'm spending too much time working on this problem instead of doing my job". The forth time you get "I need a new computer, this one is clearly broken!"

The tenth time you get "I've never hit ALT and then S and then W in my life, you're lying, this can't be my fault. And even if it was, that's stupid and Outlook is still broken, I demand a fix from IT. you people do nothing but sit around all day telling people they're wrong and i'm sick of it. we're better off buying IT support from overseas since you're so drat unhelpful!"

If it gets to 10 times i'm talking to their manager directly.

You wanna not work? Cool whatever. You wanna call me up and make me pretend to play detective? Go gently caress yourself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd think if an aerial cable got ripped down several times that the next person would get it buried, but lol telcos

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd think if an aerial cable got ripped down several times that the next person would get it buried, but lol telcos

the guy certified to hang the cable is not certified to bury the cable

and interdepartment work at telcos is worse than hell itself

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kyrosiris posted:

Outside the USA having a lot of choice is pretty standard. I think there are meaningfully only about four choices though, because the POTS DSL that most people sell you is just them re-selling the old state telephone network's lines, now managed by Verizon. Which, TBH, is actually kind of impressive. I didn't think their service could get any worse, but they found a way.

Steakandchips posted:

He should have switched the second time this happened. This is just poo poo.
I said that, but TBH I think he enjoys the complaining.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So, in tribute to the current title:

about 4 months and then again weeks ago I warned that our licenses were running out. New equipment has been installed and monitored, and now we're out of licenses. Clearly, we shouldn't pay our vendor until we have to. :cripes:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A ticket came in from the maintenance team - they wont put a bit of trunking up and pull a bit of cat5/6 through it because "its IT cable we don't do that"

that's great -but there is 2 IT people and 20+ maintenance dudes + as much as I know that when we lift the trunking lids everything is kept separate - I don't actually know the rules nor am I certified to go anywhere near that poo poo... just go get on with it maintenance people :@

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

and interdepartment work at telcos is worse than hell itself

*shivers*

On Friday, while merging systems with an acquisition, I had issues accessing about 50 routers. The other group's networking team took the time out to help me identify and fix every single router. I think they were a bit confused why I was so thankful for their help, it was incredibly painless and didn't involve a single fingerpoint and I was given no runarounds. They never once suggested I was full of poo poo when something didn't work, and took everything I had to say seriously.

On the other hand, I'm a little nervous at the complete lack of change management on their behalf.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 13, 2018

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

angry armadillo posted:

A ticket came in from the maintenance team - they wont put a bit of trunking up and pull a bit of cat5/6 through it because "its IT cable we don't do that"

that's great -but there is 2 IT people and 20+ maintenance dudes + as much as I know that when we lift the trunking lids everything is kept separate - I don't actually know the rules nor am I certified to go anywhere near that poo poo... just go get on with it maintenance people :@

I've had 2 more tickets from the maintenance team this morning - both jobs that are for maintenance (electric tripping)

I've also noticed the boss over there is off at the moment, so the deputy is trying to give me electrical work because 'the computers are off'

He wouldn't dare ask me if the boss was in but he's an idiot so I'll go laugh at him later

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

After having had circuits repaired that are 25% over load limit, with melting wire insulation, I’m not going to be the guy turning that poo poo on if it trips off. Get an electrician with a meter and the skills, tools, and time to fix the problem.

That and PPE for playing with some of the panels is long sleeves and lmao if I’m wearing those

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Way before I started here, marketing purchased an email marketing service and even though the admin fought it they eventually won out and we had to add their mx records to our dns so they could send email as us.

Fast forward to yesterday and now some external emails are ignoring the priority on the mx records (or mimecast's servers are randomly becoming unresponsive) and trying to relay the email through the marketing service servers and getting 550'ed. I want to use this as an excuse to tell marketing to get another service but I'm getting overruled :(

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

:geno:: I found this username/password combo in plaintext logs
:downs:: Ok what do you want fixed?
:geno:: please remove that field or censor it. We don't allow usernames/passwords in logs
:downs:: but the Database team stores passwords in plaintext, I think
:geno:: seems unlikely, but please fix these logs
:downs:: I think the old legacy system stores them in plaintext too
:rant:: fascinating, can you mask these logs now?
boss: mask the logs
:downs:: ok

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hihifellow posted:

Way before I started here, marketing purchased an email marketing service and even though the admin fought it they eventually won out and we had to add their mx records to our dns so they could send email as us.

Fast forward to yesterday and now some external emails are ignoring the priority on the mx records (or mimecast's servers are randomly becoming unresponsive) and trying to relay the email through the marketing service servers and getting 550'ed. I want to use this as an excuse to tell marketing to get another service but I'm getting overruled :(

Do you mean SPF?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah you did it wrong lol

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Whatever poo poo rear end service marketing purchased wanted mx records. Why do you think I want to get rid of them?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Add theirs to your spf. Ignore their request.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also for sending email from @yourdomain.com you can add the SPF records to a subdomain, and if you're using DMARC in relaxed mode then it will still work. So you can have the message signed by yourdomain.com but sent from marketing.yourdomain.com with the from set to @yourdomain.com and it will still pass all the tests, but it doesn't let marketing gently caress with your email delivery, and you don't have the problem of billions of entries in your SPF record waiting to fail in interesting ways.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 15, 2018

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

They're already in the spf record, but they wanted those mx records and wouldn't budge and marketing eventually won that battle.

We took out their mx records anyway, we'll see if they notice.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
2 staff at the office couldn't log into their Skype (free version, some refuse to use the other business IM we have) since there is some parental lock there if you either don't fill out your birth date or just click next everywhere upon registration and it ends up being 2016 or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you aren't receiving email then there's no reason for those MX records to be there. Maybe they use it to look for bounces?

Our SES configuration looks like this:

pre:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
ses.ourdomain.com.  300     IN      MX      10 feedback-smtp.eu-west-1.amazonses.com.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Just had 3 brand new dot matrix printers delivered to our office for delivery to a client. Because dot matrix is cutting edge stuff.
At least they are USB.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Chunjee posted:

:geno:: I found this username/password combo in plaintext logs
:downs:: Ok what do you want fixed?
:geno:: please remove that field or censor it. We don't allow usernames/passwords in logs
:downs:: but the Database team stores passwords in plaintext, I think
:geno:: seems unlikely, but please fix these logs
:downs:: I think the old legacy system stores them in plaintext too
:rant:: fascinating, can you mask these logs now?
boss: mask the logs
:downs:: ok

Man, after that exchange I'd be going out of my way to look for plantext login info on everything I touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ilkhan posted:

Just had 3 brand new dot matrix printers delivered to our office for delivery to a client. Because dot matrix is cutting edge stuff.
At least they are USB.

A lot of places still use dotties, we have 2200+ in the field, my friend that runs a financing company has 10+ of them; it might not be cutting edge, but the poo poo works.