Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
One of the regulars who attends my gigs is deaf in one ear and can't afford an implant. What a sacrilegious scumbag, how dare he disrespect my art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ynohtna posted:

One of the regulars who attends my gigs is deaf in one ear and can't afford an implant. What a sacrilegious scumbag, how dare he disrespect my art!

As long as he doesn't insist that using mp3 compression is murder, I'm fine with a deaf person enjoying music.

Rollins' listening room looks like it could be fine if he just pulls down the curtains. The sofa is too close to the back wall, though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The sofa is too close to the back wall, though.
He probably pulls it forward for each time he listens to music, but the sound pressure then pushes back to the wall.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My 4k tv broke during my move and I was quoted at $1,200 Cdn for repair. :( This is gonna sound super entitled but going back to 1080p gaming is so hard my dudes, even if the backup is a 2014 65". Everything looks so blah

And I'm leaving for a PAL country in six months so there's no point in upgrading now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My 4k tv broke during my move and I was quoted at $1,200 Cdn for repair. :( This is gonna sound super entitled but going back to 1080p gaming is so hard my dudes, even if the backup is a 2014 65". Everything looks so blah

And I'm leaving for a PAL country in six months so there's no point in upgrading now.

...this is your fault for buying a lovely TV in 2014. :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...this is your fault for buying a lovely TV in 2014. :v:

Oh for sure, I think I bought it right before the ps4 pro was announced and I don't give a poo poo about tv/movies so had no interest in 4k at the time. :(

But the Samsung UN65H7150 was a good tv at the time.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ah he's one of those audiophiles...

One cannot truly appreciate the spectacularly lovely sound on any SST recording without a full spectrum analog high fidelity audio sound system.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I thought that only mattered for analog TV? I mean, even if your new country broadcasts digital HDTV at 25 Hz instead of the 30 Hz that you're used to watching, I'm sure the receiver in your TV can handle it.

I'm not saying you need to upgrade a 4 year old TV, god drat, think of the environment etc. But if you want UHD, and you're moving to a different continent, why would you move a freaking 65" TV, when you could just sell it and buy a new 65" UHD TV in Europe or wherever.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InfiniteZero posted:

One cannot truly appreciate the spectacularly lovely sound on any SST recording without a full spectrum analog high fidelity audio sound system.

I'm sure it's less about the sound quality and more about the smell of opening a sealed vinyl. Probably lets him relive his youth or something.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

But if you want UHD, and you're moving to a different continent, why would you move a freaking 65" TV, when you could just sell it and buy a new 65" UHD TV in Europe or wherever.

That was always the plan. It's just now I have to do 1080p for six months, and seeing things like the RDR2 trailer makes me sad now.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

jonathan posted:

I'm sure it's less about the sound quality and more about the smell of opening a sealed vinyl. Probably lets him relive his youth or something.

He has great taste in music but the guy who released "Damaged" is not a guy who will be telling me about how music should sound (and I say this as a huge fan of "Damaged").

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

... and seeing things like the RDR2 trailer makes me sad now.
For a second I thought that was another Star Wars origin movie.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

spookygonk posted:

For a second I thought that was another Star Wars origin movie.

I gave up on Star Wars after the Force Awakens. That was the last movie I saw in a theatre actually, thanks to my wonderful TV set up. :rip:

I haven't even set up surround sound again, maybe selling my receiver. I don't know how people live like this.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

As long as he doesn't insist that using mp3 compression is murder, I'm fine with a deaf person enjoying music.
But enough about audiophiles

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

4K HDR TV - 55" Sony Bravia (KD55XD8599)
Sound Bar - Sony (HT-CT800)
4K Bluray Player - Sony (UBP-X800)
Consoles - PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Turntable - Crappy Ion Bluetooth one

Pitwar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 23, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pitwar posted:

4K HDR TV - 55" Sony Bravia (KD55XD8599)
Sound Bar - Sony (HT-CT800)
4K Bluray Player - Sony (UBP-X800)
Consoles - PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Turntable - Crappy Ion Bluetooth one

Post a bigger pic! We wanna see your setup. I like the small portion of your furniture that I can see.

Also- I currently have a 4K TV and PS4 Pro. Ive been thinking about adding an XBone for its exclusives (lol) and for playing the compatible 360 and original Xbox games that I have. Is the extra cost of the XBoneX worth it or should I save money and go with the S? I have no particular brand loyalty beyond being able to play the exclusives that I want to play or being on whatever platform suits my needs the best/allows me to play with the people I want to play with/looks the best/etc so I could conceivably make it my go-to for multiplatform games. I could buy 66% of a Switch with the savings or a whole mess of peripherals/games but I also want to take advantage of the 4K-ness of my TV.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Post a bigger pic! We wanna see your setup. I like the small portion of your furniture that I can see.

Also- I currently have a 4K TV and PS4 Pro. Ive been thinking about adding an XBone for its exclusives (lol) and for playing the compatible 360 and original Xbox games that I have. Is the extra cost of the XBoneX worth it or should I save money and go with the S? I have no particular brand loyalty beyond being able to play the exclusives that I want to play or being on whatever platform suits my needs the best/allows me to play with the people I want to play with/looks the best/etc so I could conceivably make it my go-to for multiplatform games. I could buy 66% of a Switch with the savings or a whole mess of peripherals/games but I also want to take advantage of the 4K-ness of my TV.

Here's a photo from a year or so ago, but you can see the unit better in this one. Sadly the big plant died, so there's a gap in that corner now.

As far as the Xbox One X goes, I had an S myself but couldn't resist giving the X a bash to see if it made much of a difference. It actually blew me away with the difference it made, and certainly felt like a bigger jump than PS4 to Pro did.

If you can afford to go for the X I'd certainly recommend it. It's quickly become my most used console (partly due to the fact it doesn't sound like a jet engine, unlike my PS4).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I also love my X. It instantly became my fav console. (Also had a ps4 pro and switch). For a technophile the X is a no brainer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

lovely living room setup. It works great for what I use it for though. I just watch TV casually from 30' away across a granite countertop while making food in the kitchen usually. Sometimes I get to sit on the couch but it's usually late at night so I have to keep it quiet. Either way, it's super nice being able to actually hear and understand what people are saying as opposed to cranking up the lovely TV speakers and everything still coming out unintelligible. Right now the TV uses the Optical out to a DAC that feeds the Rotel RX-1052. The DAC is super lovely though. Sometimes it fails and sometimes it artifacts and sometimes it just makes noise for no reason. Rather than replace it I was hoping to get a new receiver that has optical-in, but It's tough finding anything that can do even close to 100WPC that is less than 5.25" tall.

I found something that fits the bill:
NADm c388 - https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-388-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/
It seems like a great amp. 150WPC and it even has a phono input. I presumably can control the volume with my Samsung Smart Remote which is a must, but :tviv: $1600 is a lot of coin to drop on a lovely living room setup. So is $1200 for a used one. However, They make an HDMI module that would allow me to use ARC from the TV. so that's a plus.
I could get a c368 for half that but I could also just get a better DAC for like $50 and keep on chugging along with the Rotel.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 29, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lovely living room setup. It works great for what I use it for though. I just watch TV casually from 30' away across a granite countertop while making food in the kitchen usually. Sometimes I get to sit on the couch but it's usually late at night so I have to keep it quiet. Either way, it's super nice being able to actually hear and understand what people are saying as opposed to cranking up the lovely TV speakers and everything still coming out unintelligible. Right now the TV uses the Optical out to a DAC that feeds the Rotel RX-1052. The DAC is super lovely though. Sometimes it fails and sometimes it artifacts and sometimes it just makes noise for no reason. Rather than replace it I was hoping to get a new receiver that has optical-in, but It's tough finding anything that can do even close to 100WPC that is less than 5.25" tall.

I found something that fits the bill:
NADm c388 - https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-388-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/
It seems like a great amp. 150WPC and it even has a phono input. I presumably can control the volume with my Samsung Smart Remote which is a must, but :tviv: $1600 is a lot of coin to drop on a lovely living room setup. So is $1200 for a used one.
I could get a c368 for half that but I could also just get a better DAC for like $50 and keep on chugging along with the Rotel.

Here are some options:

1: Keep the current Rotel and add a FiiO D03K Taishan Optical-to-RCA converter for $30 from Amazon. Maybe its too much like the lovely DAC you already have but a lot of people, including many goons like myself have them and swear by them. In fact my lovelyawesome living room setup relies on HDMI going into my TV, optical from the TV going into a D03K, and RCA going into a stereo receiver and it sounds excellent to my ears.

2: Schiit Modi 2 Uber. $150 DAC with optical, USB, and coax inputs. Pretty aluminum box, probably more DAC than you need but still much cheaper than buying a new receiver.

3: Yamaha R-N303 receiver. Its 5.5 tall so maybe thats too much for your cabinet but its also $300 from a bunch of retailers, 100 WPC, and includes wireless. With the money saved you could probably flip your cabinet and pick up something that can actually fit stuff :shrug: .

4: Yamaha R-N803 wireless receiver. $750, 6 tall bigger, better, beefier sibling of the aforementioned with 100wpc. Theres also the 602 which is $600, but only(?) 80wpc and the same height. I know it isnt ideal, but maybe you could scoot your turntable over and have it and the receiver side by side on top of the cabinet? That would give you many more options. The TT + a receiver/amp would probably just fit within the margins of the TV so you could still put papers or whatever on top of the cabinet if you wanted to.

5: Yamaha A-S501/701 amps. These guys are 6 tall but they are $550 and $800 respectively. The 501 is also only 85wpc but maybe thats enough? 701 is 100. Beefier internals and probably a much better sound than the R-N303.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Here are some options:

1: Keep the current Rotel and add a FiiO D03K Taishan Optical-to-RCA converter for $30 from Amazon. Maybe its too much like the lovely DAC you already have but a lot of people, including many goons like myself have them and swear by them. In fact my lovelyawesome living room setup relies on HDMI going into my TV, optical from the TV going into a D03K, and RCA going into a stereo receiver and it sounds excellent to my ears.

2: Schiit Modi 2 Uber. $150 DAC with optical, USB, and coax inputs. Pretty aluminum box, probably more DAC than you need but still much cheaper than buying a new receiver.

3: Yamaha R-N303 receiver. Its 5.5 tall so maybe thats too much for your cabinet but its also $300 from a bunch of retailers, 100 WPC, and includes wireless. With the money saved you could probably flip your cabinet and pick up something that can actually fit stuff :shrug: .

4: Yamaha R-N803 wireless receiver. $750, 6 tall bigger, better, beefier sibling of the aforementioned with 100wpc. Theres also the 602 which is $600, but only(?) 80wpc and the same height. I know it isnt ideal, but maybe you could scoot your turntable over and have it and the receiver side by side on top of the cabinet? That would give you many more options. The TT + a receiver/amp would probably just fit within the margins of the TV so you could still put papers or whatever on top of the cabinet if you wanted to.

5: Yamaha A-S501/701 amps. These guys are 6 tall but they are $550 and $800 respectively. The 501 is also only 85wpc but maybe thats enough? 701 is 100. Beefier internals and probably a much better sound than the R-N303.
Replacing that stupid console is unfortunately a non-starter. Otherwise I wouldn't be looking at a $1600 stereo receiver, I'd just get a $500 Marantz from Accessories4Less and spend $1000 on a nice new console that I actually like.

Anything 5.25" or taller is too tall unfortunately. That's the main problem I ran into. I looked at slimline receivers (denon, marantz and yamaha) and they only do like 50-60WPC which isn't even close to enough. I don't listen at high volumes all the time, but I frequently have the Rotel at 75% volume for hours at a time. I'm not so sure a less powerful amp would like that very much. I'm thinking 80WPC is probably the lowest I could go but even then I feel like the amp would have to work pretty hard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Replacing that stupid console is unfortunately a non-starter. Otherwise I wouldn't be looking at a $1600 stereo receiver, I'd just get a $500 Marantz from Accessories4Less and spend $1000 on a nice new console that I actually like.

Anything 5.25" or taller is too tall unfortunately. That's the main problem I ran into. I looked at slimline receivers (denon, marantz and yamaha) and they only do like 50-60WPC which isn't even close to enough. I don't listen at high volumes all the time, but I frequently have the Rotel at 75% volume for hours at a time. I'm not so sure a less powerful amp would like that very much. I'm thinking 80WPC is probably the lowest I could go but even then I feel like the amp would have to work pretty hard.

The DACs I mentioned are good options then IMO. Theres also this 125 WPC amp that just came out (they have a $25 cable that converts optical to HDMI if you need it), but then youd have to consider a TT preamp and maybe other inputs if you have other gear.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Doubling your amp's power only gets you +3dB of volume. If you get a good amp, it will be able to sit at its rated RMS volume just fine.

What speakers are those?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

Doubling your amp's power only gets you +3dB of volume. If you get a good amp, it will be able to sit at its rated RMS volume just fine.

What speakers are those?

+3db at 3 feet. inverse square law drops that value off considerably after the other 26ft, so not even 3db.
If I get a good amp, I probably won't be shoving it into a space the size of a kitchen drawer and praying that it doesn't overheat.

The speakers are Vandersteen 2ci.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's why when people ask on reddit if they should be upgrading their amp, I pretty much always just say "Either keep your amp or start stacking inuke 3000's because there isn't really an effective in between option"

10x the wattage is a meaningful amp upgrade.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jonathan posted:

That's why when people ask on reddit if they should be upgrading their amp, I pretty much always just say "Either keep your amp or start stacking inuke 3000's because there isn't really an effective in between option"

10x the wattage is a meaningful amp upgrade.

Agreed, but there are meaningful reasons to upgrade a power circuit that in practice wont add much volume or dynamic range. Like if youre switching to Maggies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Agreed, but there are meaningful reasons to upgrade a power circuit that in practice wont add much volume or dynamic range. Like if youre switching to Maggies.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that headroom is not just audiophile bullshit. Yes you do get more volume and dynamic range out of a more powerful amp, but also you get less harmonic distortion when using a lower % of the amp's total power. So, all other things being equal, using a 100w amp to produce the same sound pressure levels as a 40w will produce better quality sound.

On the other hand, amps with higher levels of THD, producing a sound at a specific db, will sound 'louder' because of how our ears perceive the sound.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On the other hand, amps with higher levels of THD, producing a sound at a specific db, will sound 'louder' because of how our ears perceive the sound.

There's a lot to psychoacoustics, not least how everyone seems to have learned that "distorting = loud". Drunk kids will crank it till it distorts, then they seem happy. I'm sure it applies to any stereo purchaser. Hypothesis: Buying more headroom is likely to make you play louder! Discuss.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I definitively did not understand headroom and distortion when I started getting into more serious equipment. I turned the volume up and up, and didn't understand why the music didn't feel loud but my ears were hurting.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Make no mistake, very loud but low distortion music can be worse because ear fatigue is less noticeable at first. Your ears actually become less sensitive for a bit and you can crank it louder and louder without feeling the pain.

Until you go somewhere quiet.

If I was rich I'd probably get this system to replace my klipsch setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeBmxHV9c4

The JTR 7 speaker surround system "This system doesn't need a subwoofer as it already has 14 15" woofers."

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jonathan posted:

The JTR 7 speaker surround system "This system doesn't need a subwoofer as it already has 14 15" woofers."

I was going to say something about ridiculous audiophile speakers, but those actually look like they were designed to be visually non-intrusive, which gets my instant approval.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jonathan posted:

Make no mistake, very loud but low distortion music can be worse because ear fatigue is less noticeable at first. Your ears actually become less sensitive for a bit and you can crank it louder and louder without feeling the pain.

My PA was built to be as distortion free as possible because I'm one of those guys that hates having to wear earplugs due to shrill as gently caress tweeters and massively overdriven signal chains. System was tested in a 250 person venue for one of our club nights, it was 116db at the back of the room unweighted, RTA'd flat. A few tweaks were made EQ wise to taste and then the DJs came in and cranked it more. A drummer friend of mine complained it wasn't loud enough (all drummers are deaf) :v:

Whether it's worse for your hearing or not to have low distortion really loud, all I know is it was loving fantastic to be in a room with music playing really loud and not have it feel like someone was taking razorblades to your eardrums from the moment you step into the venue. The amount of joints that have a stack of kit, just plug it in and crank it is unreal, there's far too many badly set up systems out there and as a music lover it's depressing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The best concert sound I've ever witnessed was Dizzy Mizz Lizzy (huge rock band in Denmark, virtually unknown anywhere else) playing at Royal Arena here in Copenhagen. I had a prime spot right next to the mixer board, and the sound tech was On loving Point that night. Of course it helps that the PA in Royal Arena is absolutely outrageously good, but you also need a sound tech who knows the venue, especially big stadiums like this.

It was ridiculously loud, but oh so clean, just sheer pleasure to listen to. Almost a religious experience.

Yet it wouldn't surprise me if some people complained afterwards that it wasn't loud enough, because they're not used to clean, distortion-free PA. Which is a goddamn shame.

Contrast with Anthrax at Copenhell 2014, where the (probably stone deaf) sound guy just cranked everything to 11. It was painful. I can't remember if they used Meyer Sound PA at Copenhell back then, but you have to make an effort to screw up so badly, no matter what the system is.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 3, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

they're not used to clean, distortion-free PA. Which is a goddamn shame.

Systems set up to sound like really a big hi-fi with a bunch of bass are my jam.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I was going to say something about ridiculous audiophile speakers, but those actually look like they were designed to be visually non-intrusive, which gets my instant approval.

Yeah the JTR stuff is essentially all-go-no-show setups. The neosis design is similar to the diyaudiogroup designs "seos" horn setups, which are all shrunken versions of giant gently caress off Klipsch/JBL pro cinema designs.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KozmoNaut posted:

Contrast with Anthrax at Copenhell 2014, where the (probably stone deaf) sound guy just cranked everything to 11. It was painful. I can't remember if they used Meyer Sound PA at Copenhell back then, but you have to make an effort to screw up so badly, no matter what the system is.

Don't get me started on Motrhead's PA sound in the late 90's. Tech must have been near deaf. Distorting a bit but mostly just cranking the treble up so high you could have your jewelry cleaned by wearing it to the show.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

There's a lot to psychoacoustics, not least how everyone seems to have learned that "distorting = loud". Drunk kids will crank it till it distorts, then they seem happy. I'm sure it applies to any stereo purchaser. Hypothesis: Buying more headroom is likely to make you play louder! Discuss.

Oh, for sure, you will play the music louder than you realize. The first time I realized this was when I got my Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. I just kept turning it up louder and louder, like it was nothing. It wasn't until I took them off and left them playing music that I realized I could hear that poo poo all the way across the house, and I should probably turn it down.

My KEF LS50's are pretty easy to dump wattage into, unless you hit some particularly sharp or shrill highs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Oh, for sure, you will play the music louder than you realize. The first time I realized this was when I got my Sennheiser HD6XX headphones. I just kept turning it up louder and louder, like it was nothing. It wasn't until I took them off and left them playing music that I realized I could hear that poo poo all the way across the house, and I should probably turn it down.

My KEF LS50's are pretty easy to dump wattage into, unless you hit some particularly sharp or shrill highs.

jonathan posted:

If I was rich I'd probably get this system to replace my klipsch setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yeBmxHV9c4

UHHH...

https://www.avsforum.com/jtr-speakers-noesis-215rt-7-channel-home-theater-system-best-axpona-2017/ posted:

With 2000 watts RMS power handling, 4-ohm impedance, 95 dB sensitivity, and 128 dB of usable output per speaker

They had 7 of them set up. I'll bet that was nuts.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Don't get me started on Motrhead's PA sound in the late 90's. Tech must have been near deaf. Distorting a bit but mostly just cranking the treble up so high you could have your jewelry cleaned by wearing it to the show.

They played my local 1000 seater venue in the 90's, they were so loud my ears were ringing with white noise afterwards on the walk home. The gent's toilets were downstairs, underneath in front of the stage. What with the concrete and suspended flooring above, it was also the clearest sound for the gig. You could hear everything clearly (unlike me for a couple of days afterwards). Strapping Young Lad were louder, but that was a much smaller venue and Randy Castillo's cymbals on the No More Tears tour was like needles in my ears.
Needless to say I now have constant hissing in my right ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Always take earplugs to gigs! If you enjoy music, protect your hearing so you can y'know, hear it later in life!

Musicians earplugs also seem to knock out a load of reverb as well as clearing everything up. Recommended.