Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
World of Warcraft's upcoming Battle for Azeroth expansion added several new playable "allied races," smaller factions that you've fought alongside in the past or visually distinct factions of an existing race. If you level one of these races to max level, you get a special armor set whose appearance you can map onto any gear you might later get. You're also given a free boost for one character to the max level of the current expansion, Legion, for purchasing BfA.

Except you'll only get the cosmetic armor if you've leveled your new character from level one without the boost, and Legion had a bunch of unique, class-specific story lines, so many wretched losers like me already have a max-level character of every class. So now the boost is sitting there, mocking me :argh:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Berseria is fun to play, but I'm kinda sad all the characters I'm getting in my party look like mostly regular (well, anime-regular) people. I'd love some more exotic designs.

Velvet, Rokurou and Magilou don’t look aggressively anime to you? I put Velvet in her plain jane villager clothes as soon as possible and thought her appearance was a lot better for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

Velvet, Rokurou and Magilou don’t look aggressively anime to you? I put Velvet in her plain jane villager clothes as soon as possible and thought her appearance was a lot better for it.

I don't want them to look more anime, they're plenty anime. I meant make them look less human. Like Velvet's arm, but go hog-wild with it.

e: for instance Dyle could have been a cool party member

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

World of Warcraft's upcoming Battle for Azeroth expansion added several new playable "allied races," smaller factions that you've fought alongside in the past or visually distinct factions of an existing race. If you level one of these races to max level, you get a special armor set whose appearance you can map onto any gear you might later get. You're also given a free boost for one character to the max level of the current expansion, Legion, for purchasing BfA.

Except you'll only get the cosmetic armor if you've leveled your new character from level one without the boost, and Legion had a bunch of unique, class-specific story lines, so many wretched losers like me already have a max-level character of every class. So now the boost is sitting there, mocking me :argh:

And to add insult to injury, those unlockable armor sets can only be used by that same race you just took to 110.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cythereal posted:

And to add insult to injury, those unlockable armor sets can only be used by that same race you just took to 110.

The one saving grace is that it means I don't have to look at the eyesore velf armor any more than is necessary.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I decided to jump back into Witcher 3 for the first time since *checks save*, gently caress, 2016. And after playing through multiple third-person action games, it's loving hard to get used to these controls. I am constantly pressing R1 to attack, circle to attack, R2 to attack, and sometimes I actually press the right button. I'm trying to interact with triangle, circle, and square before X, constantly forgetting how to switch spells and throw bombs, and on the hardest difficulty it basically means dying at almost every fight. I'm getting more used to it over time, but jesus my brain simply refuses to switch contexts.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I just tried to play Sea of Thieves with my brother, and goddamn the update procedure is the dumbest loving thing I have ever seen:

- Upon starting the game, it will tell you that it is out of date and needs to be updated. It will not, however, tell you where to do that or just do it automatically like a billion other pieces of software are capable of.
- So you launch the Windows Xbox app, since that's where all the things related to Windows games are kept. But no, no option to update here either.
- But wait! In the Xbox screen, there's a link to the game's Windows Store page. Since that's where you also download the game, maybe there'll be an update functionality there?
- Nnnnope. In fact the page may well look like you don't own the game and offer you to purchase it, since the Windows Store is a piece of poo poo. Sometimes it may launch updates automatically when you check it their page, but there's exactly no way of manually checking for an update.
- So then you open up the submenu in the corner of the Windows Store, where your actual software library is hidden away. But there's no update here either, in fact the game might not even be listed there.
- Instead, you have to try the "Downloads" tab, and there is a little "Update All" button hidden away that launches updates for all your installed Windows Store software, which does fortunately include the actual drat game.

I mean, I shouldn't expect anything better from the same people that brought us Games For Windows Live, but goddamn. It's a case study in bad interface design. Especially since it's basically a solved problem: Steam solved it, Origin solved it, even loving Uplay solved it. And hell, plenty of games had their own autoupdaters outside of those platforms for years, too. But apparently Microsoft just can't seem to manage.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing Yakuza Kiwami a little bit, and I just did the club fight, the very first one. I think I unlocked it for a base or something. It's actually been a little while since I played.

I'm not seeing where everyone is so amazed with this game. Am I just not far enough in? Am I missing something? The combat feels a little sticky, and I'm not crazy about any of the styles. Do I just need to unlock more attacks, play some more of the game, keep going at it? I really want to like it, because of what people have said and I like the style of it, but so far, I'm not loving it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Zero kind of puts Kiwami and 6 to shame tbh, but I readily admit part of that is fatigue from these games releasing too drat close to each other.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I'm playing Yakuza Kiwami a little bit, and I just did the club fight, the very first one. I think I unlocked it for a base or something. It's actually been a little while since I played.

I'm not seeing where everyone is so amazed with this game. Am I just not far enough in? Am I missing something? The combat feels a little sticky, and I'm not crazy about any of the styles. Do I just need to unlock more attacks, play some more of the game, keep going at it? I really want to like it, because of what people have said and I like the style of it, but so far, I'm not loving it.

Kiwami, mostly for ill, is a remaster of a PS2 game. As such compared to say, 0, it is missing lots of features and stuff to do that later games bring to the table. If its not clicking its ok to let it go, Yakuza games are basically just modern Shenmue and Shenmue sure as hell aint for everyone.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yakuza is the only videogame where i can breakdance during the final boss and have it be a viable option for said final boss

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
poo poo like that is why I want to love this game! gently caress, I wanna be able to talk about how I break danced a boss to death!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

Have you played 0 yet? Play 0 instead. Kiwami is... rough. A lot of its design is antiquated because of the PS2 origins.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you played 0 yet? Play 0 instead. Kiwami is... rough. A lot of its design is antiquated because of the PS2 origins.

Yeah, I tried to play the original Yakuza on PS2 but it has a terrible railgun section on a highway that has no options for healing towards the end of, that you have to do on one health bar and it's really long so I gave up there, about an hour out from beating the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Perestroika posted:

So I just tried to play Sea of Thieves with my brother, and goddamn the update procedure is the dumbest loving thing I have ever seen:

- Upon starting the game, it will tell you that it is out of date and needs to be updated. It will not, however, tell you where to do that or just do it automatically like a billion other pieces of software are capable of.
- So you launch the Windows Xbox app, since that's where all the things related to Windows games are kept. But no, no option to update here either.
- But wait! In the Xbox screen, there's a link to the game's Windows Store page. Since that's where you also download the game, maybe there'll be an update functionality there?
- Nnnnope. In fact the page may well look like you don't own the game and offer you to purchase it, since the Windows Store is a piece of poo poo. Sometimes it may launch updates automatically when you check it their page, but there's exactly no way of manually checking for an update.
- So then you open up the submenu in the corner of the Windows Store, where your actual software library is hidden away. But there's no update here either, in fact the game might not even be listed there.
- Instead, you have to try the "Downloads" tab, and there is a little "Update All" button hidden away that launches updates for all your installed Windows Store software, which does fortunately include the actual drat game.

I mean, I shouldn't expect anything better from the same people that brought us Games For Windows Live, but goddamn. It's a case study in bad interface design. Especially since it's basically a solved problem: Steam solved it, Origin solved it, even loving Uplay solved it. And hell, plenty of games had their own autoupdaters outside of those platforms for years, too. But apparently Microsoft just can't seem to manage.
Hell it's not even Games For Windows, it's just the game being poo poo. State Of Decay 2 (Windows store only for PC) will update itself with no problems (actually it will update without me knowing and I'll be wondering why my internet is slow).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

I decided to jump back into Witcher 3 for the first time since *checks save*, gently caress, 2016. And after playing through multiple third-person action games, it's loving hard to get used to these controls. I am constantly pressing R1 to attack, circle to attack, R2 to attack, and sometimes I actually press the right button. I'm trying to interact with triangle, circle, and square before X, constantly forgetting how to switch spells and throw bombs, and on the hardest difficulty it basically means dying at almost every fight. I'm getting more used to it over time, but jesus my brain simply refuses to switch contexts.

I had the same issues, amongst several others. I really wanted to like the game and loved the story and the graphics . Like you, I had trouble switching things too. My biggest issue with it though was the interface, the way Geralt turns when looting and constantly having to look at the tiny mini map and access the menus. The crafting and inventory systems weren't too great either

When I was foraging and exploring, I kept staring at the little circle radar thing instead of the world and it was frustrating.

Perestroika posted:

updates and menus

I have a semi related issue like this that happens a lot on xbone.

I'll have my game in the tray and go to launch it and it'll say "do you own this game? Insert disc now, etc." when the loving disc is already in there. I'll pop it out and reinsert it...nope. Often I have to reboot the system to get the game to launch. Minor quibble but annoying.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Aug 9, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cole Phelps from LA Noire has to be one of the worst video game protagonist of all time.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm playing Destiny 2 and, to be honest, I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would and am starting to consider buying the FULL-GAME-PRICED expension coming out soon, but man are there some questionable mechanics in there...

For exemple, there are 2 possible ways to go back to the game after dying. Most of the time, you respawn, MMO-style, which means that everything in the game world keeps going, you just reappear a little further back and keep playing. The game is usually balanced in that shielded enemies get their shield back by the time you get to where you were again, so timed objectives are harder to achieve, and it kinda works even if it makes things a bit too easy sometimes, in a "throw bodies at the problem" kind of way. Other times though, in certain specific areas or during certain missions or events, you go back to a checkpoint instead. By itself, it's not a problem. I actually like that, because respawning in a mission makes it seem like you're eventually going to win no matter what and takes away from your victory a little bit. But the way it's handled is loving atrocious.

For starters, you go back to a checkpoint, but a lot of things actually remain the same, for good or ill, like your ammo count and your ability timers. Sometimes it can be fun; if you're having trouble with a certain section, after dying a few times, you'll get all of your abilities back. On the other hand, if you spend all of your ammo because you keep dying to a boss that doesn't spawn any, you'll go back to the same checkpoint with smaller and smaller amounts of ammo until you run dry.

There are also harder versions of story missions that you can do for loot, and one of the ways that they use to make the missions harder is that you don't respawn anymore but rather go back to checkpoints. The thing is, the missions clearly weren't designed with checkpoints in mind and they are super far apart from each other and not very well thought out.

I'm actually having a lot of fun with harder missions and I'm realizing that the game can sometimes be more than just a skinner box, but they really went with quantity over quality for some of the content.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Aug 9, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Cole Phelps from LA Noire has to be one of the worst video game protagonist of all time.

Not only is he awful, they cut so much content and made the buttons unclear on what they do that he comes across as a fully unhinged lunatic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alhazred posted:

I'm gonna fight you, he's an excellent caseman who happens to have all of his emotional intelligence stuffed up his bum. I really enjoyed his character arc, warts and all.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

I'd say that goes to either DmC: Devil may Cry or Dead Rising 3 / 4

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Alhazred posted:

You're not wrong, but it also feels like they tried to make a noir film character, which clashes with the standard Video Game Protagonist ideal. I think they also took out stuff that would have fleshed him out more, and the actions that cause his fall from grace weren't given proper weight, so everyone comes off as being overreactionary as gently caress. Like, from what I remember, his big indiscretion was having an affair with a German immigrant, and this plot point might work in the setting, but doesn't connect with audiences, and the game doesn't do a good job setting up the affair with the German woman as being something that would tank a career.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Inco posted:

You're not wrong, but it also feels like they tried to make a noir film character, which clashes with the standard Video Game Protagonist ideal. I think they also took out stuff that would have fleshed him out more, and the actions that cause his fall from grace weren't given proper weight, so everyone comes off as being overreactionary as gently caress. Like, from what I remember, his big indiscretion was having an affair with a German immigrant, and this plot point might work in the setting, but doesn't connect with audiences, and the game doesn't do a good job setting up the affair with the German woman as being something that would tank a career.

As much as I like Cole, this is true. They did a bum job of foreshadowing him cheating on his wife, or just anything that would've justified by-the-book Cole losing it for this lady. The two characters have zero chemistry, which makes it even worse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
LA Noire's development was so tumultuous that it's a miracle the game was released in a playable state, let alone that it's pretty good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For how tortured the development of LA Noire was, it’s amazing it is as good as it is.

I really like LA Noire.

E: seriously

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Perestroika posted:

Bethesda just announced that the PC release of Fallout 76 is only going to be on their proprietary download platform so I hope all the people who complain about how Steam is worse than Hitler now are looking forward to having to go through this rigmarole for every major AAA title from now on.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If starting Witcher 3 it is imperative that you change the control-scheme to alternative if you don't want Geralt to have the turning-radius of a bowling-ball. Most players prefer a character who stops on a dime rather than moves like a realistic person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGIiGmr74Q

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inco posted:

Yeah, he was supposed to have a wife and kids and all like gently caress, I didn't really know that until they said so after he had a mostly off-screen affair with the German jazz singer lady.
There was meant to be an extra two desks between Traffic and Homicide. So two early desks that they could pumped more motivations and home life into him.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

DmC: Devil may Cry

I dunno, I thought that Dante (which I know isn't the original Dante gently caress I don't wanna have that conversation again) was loving fun and any character who can legit get into a drat funny dick-size argument while invading an enemy stronghold is, at the very least, not another loving broody short-haired muscledad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LA Noire is a game that 100% did not need one of those plot twists about the protagonist.

Random thing that drags all those isometric PC RPGs down, including derivatives like Neverwinter Nights and Pillars of Eternity: they always make the player character super special and give them unique mechanics. Always feels like the game is observing me make a character, nodding along and going "good, good, coming along nicely", then as soon as I'm done it tips the table and goes TOUGH poo poo YOU'RE PLAYING AS THE LAST SPAWN OF THE WORLD DRAGON'S LEFT NUT AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT.

I just want to play a wizard. I don't want to play some defined protagonist dude where the game goes "fine he can also be a wizard if you insist."

(Planescape Torment gets a pass, by the way. Mostly cause it doesn't pretend.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

My Lovely Horse posted:

Random thing that drags all those isometric PC RPGs down, including derivatives like Neverwinter Nights and Pillars of Eternity: they always make the player character super special and give them unique mechanics. Always feels like the game is observing me make a character, nodding along and going "good, good, coming along nicely", then as soon as I'm done it tips the table and goes TOUGH poo poo YOU'RE PLAYING AS THE LAST SPAWN OF THE WORLD DRAGON'S LEFT NUT AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT.

That's kinda what killed Divinity: OS for me. I'm just a couple dudes bumbling around on a quest to do some paperwork* when outta nowhere, mid-quest (mid-dungeon if I remember correctly**) the God Of Time kidnaps me and tells me I have to prevent the universe from ending.

Dude, gently caress off. I don't even have a proper handle on the controls yet.

*I forget exactly but it's mundane "Level 1 Character" stuff
**probably not

On a similar note, one thing that's always kinda got me in Elder Scrolls games is that you the player are always 'born under a certain sign' that gives you special powers. Why is literally nobody else born under a sign? Not a single NPC anywhere, ever, uses a sign power, and some are pretty useful like "unlock any door, once per day" and "go invisible for several seconds".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

LA Noire is a game that 100% did not need one of those plot twists about the protagonist.

I just want to play a wizard. I don't want to play some defined protagonist dude where the game goes "fine he can also be a wizard if you insist."

Fuckin'

Diablo 3 did this one and it fuckin' sucked.

Diablo 2? You're just some rear end in a top hat. Turns out assholes in Diablo 2's world can become strong enough to get into a punch-up with God and win.

Path of Exile? You're just some rear end in a top hat. Turns out assholes in Path of Exile's world can become strong enough to get into a punch-up with God and win, and the mechanics behind that are why the world is constantly on the brink of annihilation. gently caress yeah!

Diablo 3? You're just some assho- sorry, no, it turns out you are Nephalem, which means you're the child of a demon and an angel, and that's why you can do all the things you can do and why normal people can't and you were born special and different and destiny fate the universe bends to your will blah blah blah guys I just wanna get into a punch-up with God and win why did you have to make me not have earned that

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Which is why Morrowind continues to be the best game

Also Dante doesn't get into a bigger dick contest, he just gets told his dick is smaller than his brothers and he doesn't say anything like a Bitch, why would I wanna play as lil dick dante

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's like the games are writing their own fanfiction. Oh there's this fantasy world with like fighters and wizards and they can all grow into total badasses... and my character is destined to be a badass and has special powers and a heirloom sword!

Funny thing is how Pillars of Eternity even hosed up making its own protagonist special thanks to Kickstarter content. You can throw a brick and more often than not it hits some Very Special Dude with a gold nameplate.

Now that I think about it, Neverwinter Nights plus expansions actually did it well. You were some hired dude or some apprentice [class], nothing more.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the sequel there no Mary Sue Backers around, and your character is special because of their pre-existing reputation as a lord whose castle got stepped on.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I thought the deal in diablo 3 was that all the humans were nephalem and they had their strength sealed away a long time ago because the angels and demons were scared of their power and the events of diablo 2 broke that seal and all the player characters were just the first dudes getting that strength back out of the whole human race. Doesn't make in any better though, since it still sounds incredibly stupid written out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Symphonia kinda subverted it in that you start out helping the Chosen One, daughter of angels, do their Chosen Thing but in the end it turns out they were never special and just picked randomly to keep a dumb cycle going. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong and there was still some kind of genuine Chosen Oneness there somewhere.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Jack Kelso rules, though, and is the real hero of the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If starting Witcher 3 it is imperative that you change the control-scheme to alternative if you don't want Geralt to have the turning-radius of a bowling-ball. Most players prefer a character who stops on a dime rather than moves like a realistic person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGIiGmr74Q

Looks like they tried for a 'realistic' approach at first, giving Geralt weight. Of course, this doesn't really translate well to a video game controlled by a thumbstick that can be moved all over the place. Don't know what I have it set to, but maybe I'll try alternative if I haven't.

One thing that is dragging Witcher 3 down is Gwent. It sucks dick. The game itself is pretty cool - matched against an even opponent, there's a lot of strategy involved deciding when to play what, when to throw a game to gain an advantage, etc.

In-world, however, it's a pay-to-win money grab that rivals Magic the Gathering. Okay I'll put down some good units and...oh okay you'll put down one thats twice as good and has a special ability. Cool. Well what about th- oh you've got three unique units immune to my powers. Okay. Great. No this is really fun. How about if I put down this strong guy! Oh I see you've used cards to summon five units at once, giving yourself +30 power. Cool.

Most of the time, there's very little strategy beyond 'have better cards'. Which is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

The cool thing with Planescape, both as a setting a game, is that being an immortal ancient badass isn't even that big a deal when you have devils, angels, liches, and all sorts of insane wizards wandering around. The 2E book even devotes a fair chunk to talking about how planeys are really cynical and mocking to anyone who thinks they're a badass.

The back of the box had a great line "You're immortal, you regenerate, you're a force to be *reckoned* with. Trouble is, so is everybody else"