Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every smart GM should trade a month of (star player) as a rookie for a year of (star player) in his prime. If you don't do this, you are stupid. The issue is with the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, remember the trash can dude?

https://twitter.com/FMRedHawks/status/1027008215526109184

Same teams :lol:

for those unable to watch, a "bad" call at third leads to the chicago manager melting down and trying to give away 3rd base like a foul ball. The actual base.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So the way the rule works is as long as a rookie has 171 days or less of service in the first year it does not count to the 6 year countdown to FA?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

iospace posted:

for those unable to watch, a "bad" call at third leads to the chicago manager melting down and trying to give away 3rd base like a foul ball. The actual base.

the McClendon special, nice

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

iospace posted:

I gotta get to a Chicago Dogs game.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Speaking of service time fuckery, call up Eloy you shits.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ah gently caress today's Braves game is on Facebook Live.

gently caress Facebook Live

Was last night's both ESPN and FSSE? Set it to tape on ESPN and when I got home was surprised to see the replay on FSSE.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

I don’t think the Cardinals have, but I feel like service time fuckery is usually for position players.
The Dodgers have sent Walker Buehler down to AAA a couple times this year to make room in the rotation, even while he was clearly one of the better starters on the team.

euphronius posted:

So the way the rule works is as long as a rookie has 171 days or less of service in the first year it does not count to the 6 year countdown to FA?
Not exactly. Players need a full 6 years of service time to be eligible for free agency. So if they only get say 120 days of service their rookie year, then after their 6th year they’ll have 5.120 or something like that and not yet be eligible for FA.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 9, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I find it amusing that pitchers are consistently leaving the Pirates and immediately looking better. Glasnow looks as dominant as he did in the minor leagues.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

I find it amusing that pitchers are consistently leaving the Pirates and immediately looking better. Glasnow looks as dominant as he did in the minor leagues.

I'm old enough to remember when the Pirates were the pitcher-whisperers and they'd always fix what ails ya.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Kirios posted:

Taillon saw what happened with cole and started throwing his slider more and has been mowing guys down as a consequence.

Glasnow on the other hand...he couldn't loving throw strikes. It wasn't a pitch mix thing. But now he's magically throwing strikes and capitalizing on his unhittable stuff. We'll see though, I wouldn't be shocked to see his command veer off again.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was last night's both ESPN and FSSE? Set it to tape on ESPN and when I got home was surprised to see the replay on FSSE.

Actually not sure, I know for sure it was on FSSE because that's the feed MLB.tv gave me. I don't remember there being an ESPN option as well

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

Taillon saw what happened with cole and started throwing his slider more and has been mowing guys down as a consequence.

Glasnow on the other hand...he couldn't loving throw strikes. It wasn't a pitch mix thing. But now he's magically throwing strikes and capitalizing on his unhittable stuff. We'll see though, I wouldn't be shocked to see his command veer off again.

I cannot believe Cole didn't have a single season over a 9 K/9 season with the Pirates. He is second in baseball with the Astros and it looks completely sustainable.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm old enough to remember when the Pirates were the pitcher-whisperers and they'd always fix what ails ya.

That wasn't that long ago. Wasnt it the case for AJ Burnett, JA Happ, Fransico Liriano ?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly the Astros feel like that team right now.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zapplez posted:

That wasn't that long ago. Wasnt it the case for AJ Burnett, JA Happ, Fransico Liriano ?

Yep. Then the league adjusted and started swinging for the fences every pitch so the “pitch to contact” emphasis on extremely heavy sinker and two-seam usage stopped working. Then Cole and Morton went to Houston and started throwing heat with junk and striking fellas out.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Apologies for the double post but Sawchik is leaving FanGraphs to become 538's national baseball correspondent.

I don't think I've visited 538 in like...two years?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MorrieSilver8/status/1027573652278177792

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Willians Astudillo should be the most famous baseball player in America.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 9, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: It is believed Adrian Beltre would approve a trade to the Cubs

V: I don't even care that he's actually not that good this year, get this wonderful man, Theo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If the Cubs would have serious interest in Beltre, that doesn't bode well for Bryant's shoulder.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
2015, on the Pirates

2018, on the Astros

Pirates still have the highest FB % in the league in 2018, 63.7%. Could ruin a pitcher like Chris Archer honestly if they foist that on him. (Astros are 23rd highest at 51.2%.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s nice Morton found 4 mph somewhere.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

*extreme Trevor Bauer voice* "Well you know, when you systematically cheat the system by using pine tar..."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

euphronius posted:

Pretty sure fangraphs groups sinkers in with fastballs, so that 4 mph is a consequence of de-emphasizing the sinker in favor of the 4-seam.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

Pretty sure fangraphs groups sinkers in with fastballs, so that 4 mph is a consequence of de-emphasizing the sinker in favor of the 4-seam.

I was about to say this. The Pirates continued insistence that everybody only ever throw sinkers is the most absurd part of this whole thing.

(I wanted the Yankees to make a run at Kuhl, I think he could be the next unheralded guy to blow up in a good way away from PNC.)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Inspector_666 posted:

I was about to say this. The Pirates continued insistence that everybody only ever throw sinkers is the most absurd part of this whole thing.

(I wanted the Yankees to make a run at Kuhl, I think he could be the next unheralded guy to blow up in a good way away from PNC.)

He was actually been moving towards throwing more breaking stuff before he got hurt, Rumbunter documented it here --> A Different Pitch Selection Has Led To Success For Chad Kuhl.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I thought the pitcher couldn't be on the mound during the tag for the deception to be legal? Somehow I remember that from somewhere but I could be wrong

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Chipper Jones had yet another kid and named him Cooper, dude is nothing if not thematic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

elentar posted:

This is known as Joe Morgan Syndrome

I'll always hate Joe Morgan for the time he trashed Ernie Banks on Sunday Night Baseball.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

the popes toes posted:

I thought the pitcher couldn't be on the mound during the tag for the deception to be legal? Somehow I remember that from somewhere but I could be wrong

On the mound, yes, on the rubber, no. Hence why he's taking as long as possible cleaning his spikes, using the rosin bag etc.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Man I need to go to a red Hawks game in Fargo next time I'm there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodpancakes posted:

Man I need to go to a red Hawks minor league game in Fargo where ever I go next time I'm there

I fixed that for you :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

I fixed that for you :colbert:

The Redhawks and Dogs are indy league :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

The Redhawks and Dogs are indy league :colbert:

My (largely) point stands. Non-MLB teams need love, including Indy Leagues.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

N: Juan Soto has more ejections than Nats have playoff series wins

V: :v:

I like me some smack talk but, I dunno, a Braves fan talking poo poo about winning playoff series? Heh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

I like me some smack talk but, I dunno, a Braves fan talking poo poo about winning playoff series? Heh.

I dunno, Braves fans probably have lots of experience with winning playoff series

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

IcePhoenix posted:

I dunno, Braves fans probably have lots of experience with winning playoff series

True, but they haven't won one since 2001.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They're more familiar with the Infield Fly rule than anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

New Concept Hole posted: