Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Astroman posted:

See also socks with sandals. Kids these days :bahgawd:

Whaaaaat.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s a whole thing in the US now. It’s more flip flops and socks.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

HD DAD posted:

If you were a teen circa 2002, you were mercilessly made fun of if your pants/trousers did this. Now it’s in for some reason.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

2002 heck, if you were a kid in the early-mid 1980s you'd get the piss taken out of you mercilessly, and that was even after Michael Jackson moonwalked wearing the drat things.

Checking in, having been a kid in the early-to-mid 70s: ditto. :( (I hit my full height when I was about 13, so for a while there, I was outgrowing my trousers before we'd even get them home from the store.No matter how cute they are, I still can't/won't wear trousers unless the cuffs break on my shoe tops. On the other hand, I'm now going on 53, and I still have shoes and other clothes from when I was in high school that I still wear sometimes :yum: ).

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 27, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Console room picture leaked.

Oh... maybe it'll look better when it's lit. I hope so.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 9, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Um.

I have questions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Um.

I have questions.

For questions on the new Aggro Craig, we're going to go over to Mo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My head canon has decided that those crystals are from Timelash.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not sure about that console, looks like a pile of scrap metal from a distance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

What in the everholyloving gently caress is that.

It's like the 9 / 10 coral room, with a coat of StarCraft paint applied to it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Badly lit/shot sets always look like poo poo

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

Fortress of Solitude looking....not so good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that pillar of crystal in the middle actually going into the console, or is it on the opposite side of the room? If it's in the middle, that would suggest the crystals will light up, which could look great (or terrible). Either way I like most of the room, just not whatever's going on with the console there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Lol I don't know what I was expecting but drat. It's in keeping with the sonic screwdriver at least

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's

Not the entire set right?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm pretty sure we saw another picture when it looked pretty different thanks to the lights, so I wouldn't worry too much?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The crystals light up and pulse with energy and the floor pattern changes depending on the atmosphere of the scene, like a Rorschach pattern.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

The crystals light up and pulse with energy and the floor pattern changes depending on the atmosphere of the scene, like a Rorschach pattern.

Hmmmm, definitely sounds familiar...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It really does look like it's escaped from some '80s BBC kids show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lots of really weird photos of Nickolodeon's Guts in this thread all of a sudden.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I like it.

I like it more than the Capaldi console room but less than the Smith and Eccleston ones.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Dragonfire sequel lookin’ weird

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

I like it.

I like it more than the Capaldi console room but less than the Smith and Eccleston ones.

Oh no you did'n

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I think it looks quite rad

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
New TARDIS looks great. I like the big salt pillars that will probably glow pink, I like the haphazard roundels. I don't really like how little it implies the size of the TARDIS, but that's the same problem virtually every set's had.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The best thing they did with the late-era Smith TARDIS, which I hated when it first debuted, was to have Capaldi slowly personalize it by having furniture, stacks of books, etc, in it. I hope they do a similar thing with this one

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I like hexagonal things. Hexagonal things are cool.

Also, cue the jokes about the Doctor now being a big fan of healing crystals. And if they light up pink I won't be able to think of anything other than Himalayan rock salt.

I dig that it seems like it was rebuilt with salvage from an alien junkyard. Maybe the Doctor has to rebuild it herself because it went boom, and salvages parts from a crashed spacecraft. Maybe repairing the Tardis is an arc in the season?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, but we have a The Doctor's Husband episode where the TARDIS is played by Richard Ayoade.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
New TARDIS interior is cool and good, I'm digging it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MEANWHILE AT THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are doing a lot of dissing on the Fortress of Solitude but the FoS is actually loving awesome and so is this leaked image of the console room.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm a bit cool on it at the moment but with the right ambient lighting it'll probably look great

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I really really like it. First Smith is still my favourite interior, but I really dig the vibe.

Though are the hexagonal roundel things reflective? That's going to be a right nightmare to film around.

Also, I hope that's not all there is to it. Capaldi's 'library' and Tennant's sofa added a lot to the blocking of Tardis scenes. I hope they have something for the cast to do other than just stand around the console.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 11, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Smith's first console room really was gorgeous. Shame it was such a pain in the rear end to film in that they had to make a new one.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, Smith's first console room really was gorgeous. Shame it was such a pain in the rear end to film in that they had to make a new one.

What was the story with that? I know the rotor kept breaking and there was one guy in Wales who knew how to make them, but what was the problem with the rest of the set? Was it the copper walls reflecting crew/gear?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Matinee posted:

What was the story with that? I know the rotor kept breaking and there was one guy in Wales who knew how to make them, but what was the problem with the rest of the set? Was it the copper walls reflecting crew/gear?

Not just the copper walls, but all the glass. They found that it was excessively difficult to set up shots and light them without something reflecting, somewhere, be it a crew member or a C-stand or a boom mic or whatever, resulting in the shooting of a few episodes running long.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

That makes sense. And probably why the next one didn't have a single non-matte surface.

Still, it had a sparkly dreamy quality I really liked. That bit in the Eleventh Hour when Amy/we see it for the first time is one of my fave Who moments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The size of Smith’s first console room really helped sell the size of the Tardis in general. My biggest issue with his second room/Capaldi’s is how cramped everything is.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The size of Smith’s first console room really helped sell the size of the Tardis in general. My biggest issue with his second room/Capaldi’s is how cramped everything is.

Agreed. Bare minimum just have at least a door off to the side. The coral room didn't even have anything indicating there were other spaces

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Riptor posted:

Agreed. Bare minimum just have at least a door off to the side. The coral room didn't even have anything indicating there were other spaces

Well, it had a wardrobe. Somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Well, it had a wardrobe. Somewhere.

There were stairs along one edge, iirc. We see them in one episode.