Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Klewer posted:

other casual players are called "friends." why would there be a scene for people to play a game non-competitively

Because people may want to play a game but not put in the time to play it competitively? Especially if they're playing other games competitively. I'll hop on and play Soul Calibur with people when it comes out but I'm not going to try to go to EVO in it. And all my friends who play smash live in other states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they normalized all the final smashes into generic big damage bashes so maybe the revenge metered final smashes might be allowed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope so. Supers make everything better. Wish they did ex moves so that there was some depth to meter management like you could get extra distance on your recovery move for half a bar or something to save you from falling idk

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, my friend just messaged me and asked me how much of a scam Fighterzz is because the first thing he sees on top of his steam page today is 'you have to buy Goku and Vegeta'.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Saint Freak posted:

Lol, my friend just messaged me and asked me how much of a scam Fighterzz is because the first thing he sees on top of his steam page today is 'you have to buy Goku and Vegeta'.

So far there's an average of 1 goku per DLC so they're right in a way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Saint Freak posted:

his heart is in the right place, DLC characters in a competitive genre is dumb and corrosive

even if nobody cares now because it's not 2006 any more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im done buying fighting game dlc...except terry......and girl terry. Ill buy those.

Dlc characters are rarely the braindead simple characters i end up playing anyway so i pay 30 bucks to do like menat and zamasu (fused) trials and then never touch them again.

Pass

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I am ready to purchase Lei Wulong for Tekken the Seventh

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Base Goku is fun as hell but weird and gimmicky and he's gonna need some experimenting to find his real combo routes as universal routes don't give him level 1s outside of the corner and his level 3 is incredibly strong and finnicky.

Base Vegeta rules and on point seems the best of both worlds between Super and Blue.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Doa5's DLC was insane but none of it was needed ever and the attack on titan crossover pack was rad, I want more like that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why the f is kazama kiryu not in tekken sepitmus?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Why the f is kazama kiryu not in tekken sepitmus?
Didn't Sega hover over Team Ninja's shoulders every minute of the day demanding frame-by-frame perfection from the VF characters in DOA? Using their characters probably isn't the easiest or fastest process, even when both sides want it to happen.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The Kins posted:

Didn't Sega hover over Team Ninja's shoulders every minute of the day demanding frame-by-frame perfection from the VF characters in DOA?

And it was loving worth it, they were really fun and cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: oops

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Between Mega Man, Pit and Simon being in the game and the series' DGAF attitude about bringing back nostalgia concepts like Mr. Game-and-Watch and ROB, there's a decent chance Captain N might actually show up in Smash.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Please do not say the n word

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

whalestory posted:

Please do not say the n word

Nintendo?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gavok posted:

Between Mega Man, Pit and Simon being in the game and the series' DGAF attitude about bringing back nostalgia concepts like Mr. Game-and-Watch and ROB, there's a decent chance Captain N might actually show up in Smash.
there is not

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There mega-is.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

There-icus is.

FTFY

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gavok posted:

I feel like the big difference is Captain N means absolutely nothing in Japan, whereas every other obscure character they've brought back definitely has clout in their home country.

I feel like Captain N is about as likely as John Leguizamo from Nintendo of Japan's perspective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I could see a captain n tropht and even thats an outside chance.

Even modern kids dont care about captain n. Heck modern 20 somethings dont care about captain n. Its a half remembered embarrassment that aired for six months

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I guess this is fighting game thread worthy. There's this podcast that I follow called Designer's Notes, where the host interviews well-known game designers and people from the industry, and the newest episode features David Sirlin.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/david-sirlin-part-1

Someone listen to this and tell me how Sirlin-y it is

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

negan

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

Smash looks good. Too bad the online will be unplayable

This but for every non-american fighting game. 'Sides melty I guess?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I mainly play people close to my location so i dont see too much lag in even really bad netcode...except sfv holy poo poo they hosed up

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ventana posted:

This but for every non-american fighting game. 'Sides melty I guess?

Melty is absolutely unplayable unless you use Caster. Like, "can't play with people in the same city" unplayable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/landxhp/status/1027377343961223175

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FanaticalMilk posted:

I feel like Captain N is about as likely as John Leguizamo from Nintendo of Japan's perspective.

I'd buy a John Leguizamo DLC, not gonna lie.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would kill for Romeo + Juliet the game tbh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Juliet’s wakeup game is loving terrible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

:golfclap:

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Much like Yang, Romeo is only good in his semblance.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Dragon Ball beta for Switch is live, runs until midnight Sunday.

EDIT: no it's not, it's just available to download, it goes live at 9PM.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve been thinking about doing my semiannual “maybe I want to get into a fighting game for real” thing lately. I’ve always loved them. Always sucked rear end at them but had fun. I own SFV and DBFZ. I like SF a lot and always have. The way combos work so rhythmically makes my musician brain tingle. V is depressing but whatever. It’s the most appealing fg I own for some reason. I love DBZ but Fighterz makes me feel like I’m fighting covered in mud. Both against the cpu and 10x worse online. All animeish fighting games feel that way to me.

On the horizon I’m interested in trying SCVI. Lately though Tekken 7 has caught my attention. It looks rad at EVO but from my limited knowledge of the game I feel like I would never grasp how to play it even semi decent at a beginner level. I read up on the series as a whole and it’s pretty awesome how Harada came up and how the series has stuck to its guns so tightly vs chasing trends and doing dumb poo poo. It seems like a series worth investing time in that won’t gently caress you over all the time.

Should I grab Tekken 7 next time it’s on sale? Any other games I should try? I unironically enjoy beating up the cpu and would like to have an okay netcode (lol) if I decide to stick with the game.

PS4 btw

exquisite tea posted:

ayyyyyyyyy

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Tekken 7 is very good and worth getting

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Will it physically and mentally own my dumb rear end though???

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
tekken 7 can be very complex and intimidating but also you can just be like me and pick paul and do big punches a lot and have a good time. There's Something For Everyone In Tekken 7

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Paul does enough damage its really funny to get juggled for a year and then stand up and win with one punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's a giant game with lots to learn and non existent tutorials other than a robust training mode but also it owns and is fun to mash in and shitloads of people play it and sometimes it goes on sale for 20 bucks I think.