Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

triggered so hard by this

If I know the name, I can find it easy!

I mean when it comes to CDs, I run them alphabetically by artist, then chronologically by release date, and that works pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Organize everything chronologically because that's how we think of films in a big way and it looks way cooler. Spine numbers don't mean anything.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Galaxy brain organizing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQvOnDlql5g

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I trust myself to remember that Army of Darkness is filed under E for Evil Dead, or that all of my Bond films are together in the B section regardless of title. It's never been a problem.

The thing that's always eluded me with my collection is organization by genre. It's such a tempting idea but in practice there's always way to many films that just can't be categorized or films that perfectly straddle two genres and it would be impossible to decide which section they belong in. It's really nice to have a whole shelf of just Westerns but not every genre is as clearly defined.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Basebf555 posted:

I trust myself to remember that Army of Darkness is filed under E for Evil Dead, or that all of my Bond films are together in the B section regardless of title. It's never been a problem.

The thing that's always eluded me with my collection is organization by genre. It's such a tempting idea but in practice there's always way to many films that just can't be categorized or films that perfectly straddle two genres and it would be impossible to decide which section they belong in. It's really nice to have a whole shelf of just Westerns but not every genre is as clearly defined.

I worked at a second hand video store and we had three categories; horror, kids, everything else. The amount of time we argued on wether the Alien franchise was horror and if Free Willy was a kids movie. It’s not worth the effort. Go alphabetical, grouping by franchise is up to preference. Though I like the idea for chronological grouping, but that doesn’t work for boxsets and TV series.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I guess a video store could use MPAA ratings to abdicate its responsibility. Free Willy is rated PG, so off to the kids section it goes.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I organize by genre and I like it because that way if I want a comedy I’ll see all my options right there. For hard to categorize movies I use a “cult” films genre that has stuff like my Arrow movies or Tarantinos or Hobo With Shotguns, and I also group my criterion’s together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

david_a posted:

I never really encountered Pat in either TV or movie form back in the day and I couldn’t get through the trailer. I think you’re right; the central “joke” doesn’t work at all anymore and based on the trailer that’s all it had going for it.

I've never seen the movie but if I'm remembering correctly from My Year of Flops, I think the central message of it was that it didn't actually matter and Pat and their equally androgynous love interest get married at the end. Which would make it pretty progressive for the time if that's the case.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I organize by genre and I like it because that way if I want a comedy I’ll see all my options right there. For hard to categorize movies I use a “cult” films genre that has stuff like my Arrow movies or Tarantinos or Hobo With Shotguns, and I also group my criterion’s together.

That's definitely what's so tempting about it, like I said it's great to be in the mood for a Western and be able to just browse a big shelf of nothing but Westerns. I'm going to pull out all my horror movies and keep them on a separate shelf during October because I do enjoy having them in one central spot for easy browsing during Halloween season.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have my cake and eat it too by organizing my physical collection alphabetically but keeping my digital list by genre. That way I can find poo poo when I want a specific movie but I can still browse Horror if I want to.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Organize everything chronologically because that's how we think of films in a big way and it looks way cooler. Spine numbers don't mean anything.

I like this idea.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Weird that someone hasn't already come in here to trigger everyone by saying they immediately trash their blu ray cases and keep all the discs in a binder.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Samuel Clemens posted:

I guess a video store could use MPAA ratings to abdicate its responsibility. Free Willy is rated PG, so off to the kids section it goes.

You’d think it’d be that easy, but we had fights over this stuff. I remember when the animated Killing Joke movie came out.
“But it’s animated”
“But it’s rated R”
“But it’s Batman!”

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Weird that someone hasn't already come in here to trigger everyone by saying they immediately trash their blu ray cases and keep all the discs in a binder.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stomping on limited edition slip covers forever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I only really care about the order of my digital folder and I do that chronologically.
'1992 - Batman Returns.m4v'

edit: Relevant podcasts if you aren't already a fan of Filmjunk.
http://filmjunk.com/2011/08/04/film-junk-bonus-podcast-movie-organization-manifesto-part-1/
http://filmjunk.com/2011/09/14/film-junk-bonus-podcast-movie-organization-manifesto-part-2/
http://filmjunk.com/2012/12/09/film-junk-bonus-podcast-movie-organization-manifesto-part-3/
http://filmjunk.com/2014/07/08/film-junk-bonus-podcast-movie-organization-manifesto-part-4/
Eight hours of shelf organization debates over four years.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 9, 2018

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I keep all my "boutique" label stuff together on a separate shelf, which has led to Ice Cream Man next to Ikiru and that's the way I like it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm going to pull out all my horror movies and keep them on a separate shelf during October because I do enjoy having them in one central spot for easy browsing during Halloween season.

Yeah, I'm going to do this at some point soon. When I was married, my ex never let me watch horror movies (so I'd have to do it during times she was on vacation on her own, or out with friends, or whatever), but this October I'm doing a movie a day, including some stuff I've never seen, like Trick'r'Treat.

I've already started putting together the list. After some debate I had to include Texas Chainsaw 3D, just because DO YOUR THING CUZ makes me laugh like the biggest fool on the planet every drat time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Timby posted:

my ex never let me watch horror movies

I can't wrap my head around this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I can't wrap my head around this.

She hates the genre and we only had the one TV in the living room. So ... horror was out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Timby posted:

She hates the genre and we only had the one TV in the living room. So ... horror was out.

That's really sad. Probably good you guys split.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Has anyone here listened to the Carrot Top commentary for The Rules of Attraction that was included with the original DVD release? The premise was that he had never seen the movie at all, and was just reacting to it while watching it for the first time. I remember thinking it was hysterical when I first listened to it 16 years ago, but who knows how well these things hold up. Especially given that it's Carrot Top.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did you get to ban her from a genre?

e:

Nihonniboku posted:

Has anyone here listened to the Carrot Top commentary for The Rules of Attraction

Yup. Roughly ten thousand years ago.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Timby posted:

Yeah, I'm going to do this at some point soon. When I was married, my ex never let me watch horror movies (so I'd have to do it during times she was on vacation on her own, or out with friends, or whatever), but this October I'm doing a movie a day, including some stuff I've never seen, like Trick'r'Treat.

I've already started putting together the list. After some debate I had to include Texas Chainsaw 3D, just because DO YOUR THING CUZ makes me laugh like the biggest fool on the planet every drat time.

You're in for some fun. Trick r treat is one of my favorite horror anthologies ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trick r Treat is great. I love horror anthology movies, but are there any other notables besides Creepshow 1 & 2, Tales from The Hood, the V/H/S series, and Tales from the Darkside?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Trick r Treat is great. I love horror anthology movies, but are there any other notables besides Creepshow 1 & 2, Tales from The Hood, the V/H/S series, and Tales from the Darkside?
There’s Cat’s Eye which is... OK. It’s got a lot of familiar faces in it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A bunch of us watched Trick r Treat after hearing all the great feedback a bunch of years ago, and all came away scratching our heads as to why it is so loved. I mean to try it again sometime, at least I don't remember a ton of it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nihonniboku posted:

Has anyone here listened to the Carrot Top commentary for The Rules of Attraction that was included with the original DVD release? The premise was that he had never seen the movie at all, and was just reacting to it while watching it for the first time. I remember thinking it was hysterical when I first listened to it 16 years ago, but who knows how well these things hold up. Especially given that it's Carrot Top.

Yep, I enjoyed it. "Oh my god that's Fred Savage! He's all grown up, and he can feel his dick!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate doesn't like horror, luckily she has a habit of sleeping until after noon on weekends, so Saturday mornings are perfect, especially in the fall and winter when it's still dark.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You guys are too polite. "Tough poo poo I'm watching Hatchet. Go read a book or something." Would be my first response.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's nit like I haven't done that, but I get to listen to a bunch of rambling if she decides to sit it out. Besides I kinda like the am horror, I fix myself a big bowl of spaghetti-os and go to town.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The best horror anthologies were made in the 60s and 70s imo. Tales of Terror, Twice Told Tales, Black Sabbath, Kwaidan, Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Torture Garden, and Asylum are all worth watching.

A very underrated anthology from the 90s is Necronomicon, which is Lovecraft themed, and Lovecraft himself is played by Jeffrey Combs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Not that it was ever funny, but it feels like Pat is out of their time today. Like, the concept of someone not being clearly male or female is just something we encounter. I encounter it on a near daily basis - one of my coworkers goes by "they."

Like, I just can't imagine a modern audience looking at It's Pat and not being disgusted.

You think that because you're a normal and decent person. But there's a lot of people who still just casually make disgusting and hateful comments about anyone who is trans or gender non-conforming. Constantly. Look at how many people still loving love Ace Ventura.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The 1972 Tales From the Crypt movie. There's also a kinda sequel called Vault of Horror which is also based on stories from EC Comics but I haven't seen it so I can't officially recommend it. Shout Factory has released them both on blu-ray as a two pack.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm planning on picking up the Universal Classic Monsters Blu-ray set and watching all of it during October. Including the first two Creature movies in 3-D.

Though, I'm still sore about the first Vincent Price collection from Shout! being OOP. I can import all the titles except for Masque of the Red Death, which is probably the best one in the set. (If you haven't seen it, it owns hard - as you'd expect from a Roger Corman film shot by Nicolas Roeg)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 9, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've got the Au/NZ set which includes Masque. It specifies region B, though.

It's in stock at our main online retailer https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/vincent-price-collection-blu-ray/24025941

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 9, 2018

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I can import all the titles except for Masque of the Red Death, which is probably the best one in the set.

That's a weird way to spell Witchfinder General.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Though, I'm still sore about the first Vincent Price collection from Shout! being OOP. I can import all the titles except for Masque of the Red Death, which is probably the best one in the set. (If you haven't seen it, it owns hard - as you'd expect from a Roger Corman film shot by Nicolas Roeg)

Yea I really wouldn't care about not being able to have that set if not for Masque of the Red Death being there. It's by far my favorite Price/Corman collaboration. It would make a great addition to the Criterion collection, actually.

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's a weird way to spell Witchfinder General.

Witchfinder General is great too but there's a Region A blu ray that's readily available, whereas Masque of the Red Death is still just import only, at least it is now that the Price Volume 1 set is OOP.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 9, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm planning on picking up the Universal Classic Monsters Blu-ray set and watching all of it during October. Including the first two Creature movies in 3-D.

I managed to get one off of some website that had the last stock of them, granted it was still a bit pricey at 80 dollars. The reason I'm really kicking myself is that I see what people are paying for that set now and I wish I would have bought a few extra but I couldn't afford it. Anyway Red Death was very much the reason I wanted that blu-ray set. They did a really good job with it too and just for fun as a special feature that and most of the films in the set have a special intro and outro recorded by Vincent Price for the airing of those movies on some public access channel in the 80s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thanks for the reminder, Egbert. I got my set close to a year ago and only got up to Usher before shelving it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

There's also a kinda sequel called Vault of Horror which is also based on stories from EC Comics but I haven't seen it so I can't officially recommend it. Shout Factory has released them both on blu-ray as a two pack.

It good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

A bunch of us watched Trick r Treat after hearing all the great feedback a bunch of years ago, and all came away scratching our heads as to why it is so loved. I mean to try it again sometime, at least I don't remember a ton of it.
It’s not mind-blowing or anything, but it’s a solid movie to watch on Halloween, Brian Cox has some nice freakouts, and it feels like an R-rated horror flick set in the same town as Hocus Pocus.

Basebf555 posted:

The best horror anthologies were made in the 60s and 70s imo. Tales of Terror, Twice Told Tales, Black Sabbath, Kwaidan, Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Torture Garden, and Asylum are all worth watching.

A very underrated anthology from the 90s is Necronomicon, which is Lovecraft themed, and Lovecraft himself is played by Jeffrey Combs.

CPL593H posted:

The 1972 Tales From the Crypt movie. There's also a kinda sequel called Vault of Horror which is also based on stories from EC Comics but I haven't seen it so I can't officially recommend it. Shout Factory has released them both on blu-ray as a two pack.
I’ll have to check these out, especially Necromonicon. Love me some Jeffrey Combs :allears: