Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i figured out how to describe card quest

its a handbuilder game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Catacomb Kids still has a few bugs in it. Like where this teleporter trap landed me:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
beautiful

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Catacomb Kids still has a few bugs in it. Like where this teleporter trap landed me:

Ahh, that's most definitely a roguelike. Good to see one in the wild.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

On a small platform over a pool of lava with no way out you can actually reach?

yeah that's a roguelike all right

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Catacomb Kids still has a few features in it. Like where this teleporter trap landed me:

working as intended.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the small platform isn't trying to actively murder the player for standing on it so it's not the full extent of what catacomb kids has to offer

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In theory that would have been survivable if I'd had a projectile spell or a bow. A Potion of Ice also might be able to solidify the lava. I don't think I could throw any random piece of debris far enough to hit the switch without the "throw things harder" perk though. Maybe if I'd leapt from the platform, thrown the item, then angled back to grab the ledge before touching the lava. There's also of course the Portal spell.

But a bog-standard Kid with no spells learned yet? Nope.

(The other question is how you'd survive getting into that location without using the teleport trap...)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Noita now has a Steam page and still looks loving awesome. I'm a sucker for wizard games that make wizards feel appropriately wizardy, so this is going to be a day-1 purchase for me.

That Catacomb Kids lava pit would be much more easily solved with a wizard staff to turn lava into rocks by pissing on it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on playing imbroglio for a bit i think im starting to refine a set of good basic play principles

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 8, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

It's an interesting way to "kill" a player--to put them in a position where they can do nothing but kill themselves.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Gungeon: Heavy Artillery (Vulcan Cannon + Commando) is a hilariously awesome "I WIN" button kind of synergy, but I sure wish the game would let you decouple the rocket launcher so you had the option to not ALWAYS fire both simultaneously.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's an interesting way to "kill" a player--to put them in a position where they can do nothing but kill themselves.

I generally feel like dead-man-walking scenarios are a bad thing. But this one was funny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I generally feel like dead-man-walking scenarios are a bad thing. But this one was funny.
I mean, the problem with Dead Man Walking scenarios is that you have already failed, but it's not possible to tell you're in one unless you have extremely detailed knowledge of the game, while this just dumps you in a situation that really obviously doesn't have an out.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You might like reading about this magic deck.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you could basically have a trap type that does that if you get got by it. effectively instadeath, but funnier

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Has anyone encountered this room in Starward Rogue before?

I don't have any weapons that can shoot into the middle where the last enemy is, and don't see anything else in the room I can do. It starts with different color versions of those enemies in the corners, and taking them out cut down on the number of bullets from the wall turrets, but after that I just got stuck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Shoot into the outer walls, they're made out of bullet teleporters I think. It's been a while since I played and I'm on mobile, so I could be wrong.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That did it, thanks. I'd walked around shooting the outer walls trying to find something hidden before, but I thought the damage I had done already had come from missiles or items.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

If I was making a trap, it would be that. A+ trap, would spring again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I got Dead Cells a couple of days ago and have been playing it obsessively. I adore it so far, with one exception:

gently caress the Hand of the King. I can be on such a supremely excellent run that I absolutely pulp the angry bridge robot and the steampunk anime clock ninja with nary a scratch, and completely shred every single living thing in the Castle, but then that loving guy just immediately picks me up and eats me. Even throwing everything I have at him barely puts a dent in his health, even if I've heavily specialized and have a downright broken item combination, while literally every thing he does takes off more than half of mine, even if I've spread my scrolls out a bit and picked mutations to maximize my health. It feels like I'm fighting a boss that was supposed to be placed like 6 levels ahead of where he is. The difficulty spike is just insane.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

hito posted:

You might like reading about this magic deck.

You were right. Thank you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
More ways to die in Catacomb Kids: apparently the ubiquitous slime monsters do not cope well with high heat. I killed one near a lava bridge, and then died because I stood near its corpse when it exploded. Cause of death: "blown up by a volatile ball of mucus".

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really need to get around to picking up catacomb kids i swear i first heard of it like 5 years ago

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Someone linked me to Rogue Empire today and told me I might like it since I play roguelikes.

I don't know anything about this one and I can't remember it coming up in the thread, though I might have forgotten. Has anyone here played it?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Prism posted:

Someone linked me to Rogue Empire today and told me I might like it since I play roguelikes.

I don't know anything about this one and I can't remember it coming up in the thread, though I might have forgotten. Has anyone here played it?

I've played it an wasn't impressed. It's kind of clunky and kind of dull and there hasn't been that much progress over the time I've owned it. I'd steer away for now at least.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Prism posted:

It looks like they have a demo on their site.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh no, Dead Cells is out. I have too many games in my backlog already :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh no, Dead Cells is out. I have too many games in my backlog already :negative:

Well from the sounds of things, they want to push out another sizable update/"free DLC" in the near future, so if you wait until after that happens, it probably won't hurt to keep the game benched.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Well, just managed to beat the 3rd pyramid in Immortal Redneck on the back of this little guy:

It may only hold 2 rounds, but it does kill 10 enemies every time you fire it, and practically one-shot the final boss. I also got a scroll for "Lose your other weapons, infinite ammo till next weapon drop" so I got to massacre everything with it for 2 and a half floors.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well from the sounds of things, they want to push out another sizable update/"free DLC" in the near future, so if you wait until after that happens, it probably won't hurt to keep the game benched.

I think they said on reddit they were shooting for November for that , so depends on your definition of near future I guess

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is that the Noisy Cricket? :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

packetmantis posted:

I'm pretty sure that that's exactly the inspiration for the gun's design but, like its name suggests (the SFG9000), it actually behaves a lot closer to the BFG as it exists in Doom and Quake 2: A steady ball of death that laser-beams nearby enemies as well.

goferchan posted:

I think they said on reddit they were shooting for November for that , so depends on your definition of near future I guess

Oh man it's that far out?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

packetmantis posted:

It exists in Enter the Gungeon I think it's called the Grasshopper

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Demo is pretty outdated on Rogue Empire and it just had a fair update, so give it time to fully get there given how close.

More importantly: Get Higher Than You've Ever Been, for even the ravages of time didn't stop Caverns of Xaskazien...II~ Last seen enjoyed by madjackmcmad

https://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=5645.0

quote:

I expected this release to be out by late Spring of 2016, but a combo of injury and overwhelming workload prevented that. Better late than never! There's a lot more to come, but I'm not dumb enough to specify when again. The next update will be released in X Units of Time, where X is equal to the whim of the universe.

Also, please be aware that while this is labeled ver. 0.76.65, ver. 0.00.01 was a fully playable and complete game (essentially, at that point, just a graphical overhaul of the original game). Ver. 1.00.00 will be achieved when I've incorporated every feature I initially envisioned for the game, 8 years ago.

For those new to Caverns of Xaskazien II, it's a Windows based roguelike, and here's the specs:
Game Features:
- A rich, graphical game, with loads of animation and dynamic, coloured per pixel lighting.
- An exclusive orchestral soundtrack created for the game by professional film scorer, Dave Coleman.
- A full sound environment with close to 1000 unique sound effects, volume keyed to the source’s distance from your character.
- An intuitive keyboard and mouse interface.
- An easy to understand UI that ensures all information any player could want on any topic is only a mouse hover away.
- 300 visually distinct monsters, each with a dozen+ variants (including named boss types), and robust AI that differs by monster intelligence level. Summoning and Charm methods allow you to raise your own monstrous army to fight for you, too.
- Merchants and NPCs to deal with, as well, each of which can run afoul of the monsters, just like you.
- More than a hundred unique booby traps for the unwary, most of which may be set by players to ensnare monsters, too.
- 125 base weapons and 75 base armour pieces, each with thousands of possible enchantment combinations and legendary variants.
- Hundreds of unique magic items, mundane items, potions, scrolls, staves, wands, rods, food items, etc.
- More than 200 unique spells.
- Play as either sex in any combination of 38 Classes and 13 Races, and customize your character as you see fit through the upgrading of both Attributes and Skills.
- A new Religion system in which you vie for the affections of dozens of gods and goddesses, and where you can devote yourself exclusively to one of 13 different religions.
- Procedurally generated dungeons utilizing multiple methods of generation to create caves, structured areas, labyrinths and even forests, supplemented by occasional pre-generated dungeons called Legendary Lands.
- Hundreds of unique environmental features to interact with and use to your tactical advantage (or detriment).
- Both random and scheduled special Events to mix up gameplay.
- A comprehensive user's manual in the docs folder.
- All for the low, low price of free

Major Improvements:

- New Spells: Finger Candles, Blinding Flash (for monsters, too), Blur (for monsters, too), Scare, Wither (for monsters, too), Control Undead, Control Diabolic, Colour Spray (for monsters, too).
- New Magic Items: Bottle Imp, Boots of Speed, Magic Satchel, Bag of Holding, Bottomless Backpack, Malachite Ward, Lucky Coin, Phylactery of Faithfulness.
- New Mundane Items: Satchel, Lamp Oil, Blinding Light Trap Kit, Pomegranate, Passion Fruit, Mango, Dragon Fruit, Fig, Pear, Cherries, Plum, Parsnip, Coconut, Cabbage, Leeks, Cooked/Uncooked Goose, Hsing-sing Toxin, Gold Pan.
- New Potions: Sleeping Draught.
- New Map Tiles: Iron Wall, Glyph of Ruination, Frigid Water, Rope Ladder, Rusted Door, Stone Door, Fragile Web, Web, Spider Filled Web, Secret Compartment, Stalactites, Cave Columns.
- New Booby Trap: Sand Trap.
- New Armour Enchantments: Imposing/Intimidating/Fearsome.
- New Weapon Enchantments: of Anxiety/of Fear/of Terror.
- New Jewellery Enchantments: Priest’s/Bishop’s/Saint’s, Believer’s/Cultist’s/Zealot’s.
- New Events: Still Winds, Sinking Feeling, Bad Hair Day, Nothing Comes To Hand, Third Eye Blind, Mundania, Rock Block, Keeping It Real, Silent Graves, Guttering Flames, The Force Is Not With You, Infernal Strike, Devotion, Festering Wounds.

- Added in monster morale and the possibility for monsters to flee, as well as conditions to make this more or less likely. Made Imps, Wyverns and Kobolds Cowardly.

*New Religion System:*
- Allowed selection of player Religion.
- Introduced individualized Divine Attitudes for all the deities, gave them things of which they approve and disapprove, and made it possible for the player’s standing with each god to fluctuate based on his or her actions.
- Tied chance of successfully praying at Shrines and Altars to Divine Attitudes.
- Tied reaction of an appearing god or goddess to a percentage roll based on their Divine Attitude, rather than a completely random outcome.
- Made certain actions inherently Good or Evil, and tied this to the attitudes of certain gods.
- Made the casting of a few certain spells anger Good or Evil gods (while not being inherently good or evil as an action).
- Created Faith system, and allowed the player casting of Miracles, based on chosen Religion.
- Fully implemented the miracles for Allumas (Alluman Ritual, Ambuscade, Caprice, Destiny, Fate, Gambling with the Goddess, Fortune Smiles, Instant Karma, Luck in Battle, Second Chance, Shower of Gold and Unpredictable Outcome).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Baloraasin (Act of Destruction, Baloraasin’s Rage, Create Ghoul, Create Vampire, Defile, Desecrate, Glyph of Ruination, Ruin, Soul Hunt, Stunning Blow, Tool of Destruction, Unholy Strength).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Dorallas (Aspect of Badger, Aspect of Eagle, Aspect of Hare, Divine Knowledge, Dorallan Influence, Dorallas’ Light, Entangling Vines, Identify, Plant Growth, Recharge, Speak with Animals, Summon Serpent).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Feighmorias (Angel’s Grace, Bless Armour, Blessing of Feighmorias, Exorcism, Hear No Evil, Marginal Protection, Protection of Feighmorias, Purity, Resist Fire, Transcend, Ward Off Evil, Warmth).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Fivriaskus (Ascend, Bolster, Crystallize, Fair Fight, Fivriaskan Judgement, Nullify Spells, Peace Ballad, Reform, Retribution, Stone Meld, Stone Sight, Stone Skin).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Hornas (Arms of Hornas, Attack, Ballad of Violence, Battle Harden, Battle Rage, Flesh of My Enemies, Hone Weapon, Hornan Hammer, Punish Weakling, Sharpen, Striking, Summon Orcish Champion).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Lastaviark (Bane of Hornas, Battle Plan, Body and Soul, Call Forth Champion, Holy Quest, Lastaviark’s Blessing, Lastaviark’s Hero, Perseverance, Polish, Prepare, Rally, Shelter).
- Fully Implemented the miracles for Maleviak (Acid Spray, Bestow Curse, Cause Blindness, Conjure Trap, Immolate, Insect Plague, Maximum Toxicity, Nausea, Pestilence, Sadism, Scourge, Wracking Pains).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Pantos (Commune, Destroy Mind, Detect Spirituality, Dismissal, Mad God’s Whim, Other Worlds, Pantosian Curse, Pantosian Map, Perpetual Knowledge, Reverse Status, Self Actualization, Unbalance).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Talltioward (Apathy, Envy, False Pride, Glamour, Gluttony, Greed, Hell Gate, Hubris, Lust, Shackle, Surrender Will, Temptations of Talltioward).
- Fully implemented the miracles for Vestonis (Boon of Vestonis, Call Yorick’s Trunk, Conviction, Create Shrine, Gain, Prayer, Reclamation, Reincarnation, Release, Vestonian Gift, Vestonian Protection, Vestonis’ Forge).
- Fully implemented all miracles for Tsen Tsun Vie (Coagulation, Energize, Mend Abrasion, Purify, Reveal Curse, Revile the Mutant, Remove Disease, Resurrection, Revitalize, Summer Rain, Total Renewal, Welcoming Waters).

Plus a bunch more that is too onerous to cram in here.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got Catacomb Kids the other day. This is the closest action platformer roguelike to traditional roguelikes I've ever played, and I love it. It has that IVAN quality where every death is worth a chuckle, if not outright hilarious. The only problem I have with it is the frequency I got stuck in unsolvable situations, like a pit with walls too high to jump out of, no enemies to bounce off of, and no items that would pop me out of it.

Luckily, it saves at the beginning of every level, so it's easy enough to close the game and restart it at the beginning of a newly generated level. I just wish there was a "reset level" option somewhere for getting unstuck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you crouch or roll, you get an extra tile of height on your jump. The tutorial should have taught you that; there's plenty of situations where it's helpful to roll off a ledge and then jump to get up to a higher area (only to get bopped by a slime and fall into the spiked lava crusher trap below, of course). Aside from the teleporter deathtrap I screenshotted earlier, I don't think I've ever encountered a permastuck scenario. I did get a disconnected level once, where part of it wasn't connected to the stairs, but there were teleporter traps connecting the main area to the side area and vice versa.

You can also re-enter the up staircase to regenerate the current level, but that doesn't help if you get stuck of course.

And finally, literally every Kid can learn the Double Jump spell which is in Magic 101, has unlimited uses, and only costs 1 energy. You still shouldn't need it to navigate, but it comes in handy anyway.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not even a high jump could get me out, and I hadn't gotten any spell books at that point. It was the first level and I didn't find a level orb, so I didn't have freerun, either. I was completely stuck without anything to help, or even kill myself on. It was pretty lovely, but at least it was just a corner case.

Still, it's a fun game that pulled me out of a bad mood because I kept dying in hilarious ways. I love how extraneous the "legs severed" messages are after being slammed by a crush trap.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Osmosisch posted:

You were right. Thank you.
Here's another fun one. (Win by putting your opponent into a position where they have to solve a computationally hard problem to find a legal move. Or even tell whether one exists.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
So, any of you who bought the Swords of Ditto: is it worth another look after the Timeless Update?