Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What do folks know about Baltimore as far as food and dining? Entertaining an employment offer that would be based there. My partner and I would be moving from San Francisco; I'm a native, he's originally from Michigan but has lived here for about 17 years. Both work in restaurant/bar/music industries. What are cool parts of town? What's a 'hip' place to live? Whats a good part to buy a home? I'd love to be able to use public transportation or walk as much as possible, and a place near to restaurants, bars and groceries. I'd love to hear any info or thoughts anyone has.

Can I have your job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Thumposaurus posted:

Washington D.C. has a much more vibrant night life/food scene than Baltimore does.
I've lived and worked in both and curently work in D.C. No way I'd ever move back to Baltimore.

They have mass transit somewhat but the D.C. Metro system even with all its faults is miles ahead of Baltimore's.

The "good" parts of Baltimore are just as expensive as they are in D.C.
Because of a better transit system you can live in one of the closer in suburbs of D.C. for a fraction of living in the district and still have a reasonable commute. In Baltimore living in a suburb means an hour or more commute in a car.

Turkeybone who used to post in the industry thread used to be a sous chef at one Baltimore restaurant. Don't know if he has PMs or not but may want to ask about his experience there.

Saying a place has a much worse food scene than Washington DC is blessing with faint critique.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does anyone have a good tortilla recipe? I'm looking to make some for my own use instead of store buying.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Can I have your job

lol, the one I'd be leaving? If I do, all yours my friend.

I figured it wasn't the coolest place, but honestly, I'd love to live in a place where I could actually afford to have a life that's quality was analogous to the silly number of hours I work. For instance, I already make a great salary and have some nice perks. In San Francisco, that affords me a fairly nice shared 3bd Victorian flat a five block walk to work in the Mission shared with two other women, the ability to help my parents a bit financially and pretty much never save anything and get stuck passing up free trips and travel because I'm chained to work. I currently make in the low 90ks. This new potential situation starts at 160k and involves 20% travel, which I enjoy. For $300 less than my current rent, I could have a 3bd/2ba unattached row house with large, fenced yard, washer and dryer, formal dining room, living room, huge basement with pets allowed. My partner and I could literally afford to keep his flat in SF and either sublet or just maintain, he could quit working in music venues to pursue his design business fulltime (he has a degree and a pretty good side business right now, but keeps a few shifts a week to live more comfortably,) or finish the high-level wine studies he's been working on. I would likely work less and in a more enjoyable setting/job structure and our purchasing power would what, triple? I time out on having a kid in 6-7 years and I'm open to the idea, but I want that choice to be a conscious one and in a situation to have a nice life with my partner and kid. In this situation, Baltimore doesn't seem so bad. I've worked in enough Michelin that I don't need one to be up the street and I'd already be traveling for work on the regular if I got a wild hair up my rear end for something fancy.

The major drawback is being farther away from my family who are not in good health and potentially having to drive a lot day to day. which I dislike a lot. He'd be closer to his family. I have friends all over the nation/world and we are both friendly & outgoing so meeting people to socialize with doesn't scare me much.

Thanks for all that have chimed in thus far, I appreciate all the tidbits.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

Does anyone have a good tortilla recipe? I'm looking to make some for my own use instead of store buying.

I like http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/flour-tortillas/ since it's nice and in 3/4ths mostly.

Corn just read the bag of mesa.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

lol, the one I'd be leaving? If I do, all yours my friend.

I figured it wasn't the coolest place, but honestly, I'd love to live in a place where I could actually afford to have a life that's quality was analogous to the silly number of hours I work. For instance, I already make a great salary and have some nice perks. In San Francisco, that affords me a fairly nice shared 3bd Victorian flat a five block walk to work in the Mission shared with two other women, the ability to help my parents a bit financially and pretty much never save anything and get stuck passing up free trips and travel because I'm chained to work. I currently make in the low 90ks. This new potential situation starts at 160k and involves 20% travel, which I enjoy. For $300 less than my current rent, I could have a 3bd/2ba unattached row house with large, fenced yard, washer and dryer, formal dining room, living room, huge basement with pets allowed. My partner and I could literally afford to keep his flat in SF and either sublet or just maintain, he could quit working in music venues to pursue his design business fulltime (he has a degree and a pretty good side business right now, but keeps a few shifts a week to live more comfortably,) or finish the high-level wine studies he's been working on. I would likely work less and in a more enjoyable setting/job structure and our purchasing power would what, triple? I time out on having a kid in 6-7 years and I'm open to the idea, but I want that choice to be a conscious one and in a situation to have a nice life with my partner and kid. In this situation, Baltimore doesn't seem so bad. I've worked in enough Michelin that I don't need one to be up the street and I'd already be traveling for work on the regular if I got a wild hair up my rear end for something fancy.

The major drawback is being farther away from my family who are not in good health and potentially having to drive a lot day to day. which I dislike a lot. He'd be closer to his family. I have friends all over the nation/world and we are both friendly & outgoing so meeting people to socialize with doesn't scare me much.

Thanks for all that have chimed in thus far, I appreciate all the tidbits.

I'm with you. I took my 120k and left LA and moved to Columbus and enjoy being able to do whatever the gently caress I want. I had a loft in the South bay i loved but was paying 3k a month for plus bills. LA was great but I couldn't save poo poo really.

Being able to increase your savings and quality of living is a huge plus.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wait, you're not in LA anymore? Save yourself. This place is burning down

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Suspect Bucket posted:

Engine 15 owns.

This is definitely true. Engine15 was the nearest pub to work when I lived in Jacksonville, we used to go to Trivia there, then I would take my life into my hands and cycle home.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wait, you're not in LA anymore? Save yourself. This place is burning down

Nah it was cool but it was too expensive. I got my company to let me relocate to Columbus.

The wife and I made some good friends there so we will come back a few times a year. In fact we will be there next weekend!

I liked LA a lot. But Jesus the traffic and the cost of everything is just brutal. I may buy some land along the coast right between LA and SF and retire there though. The weather is spectacular.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah it was cool but it was too expensive. I got my company to let me relocate to Columbus.

The wife and I made some good friends there so we will come back a few times a year. In fact we will be there next weekend!

I liked LA a lot. But Jesus the traffic and the cost of everything is just brutal. I may buy some land along the coast right between LA and SF and retire there though. The weather is spectacular.

Yeah, the central coast is probably the best place in the whole universe. I miss living in Santa Cruz so bad

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, the central coast is probably the best place in the whole universe. I miss living in Santa Cruz so bad

I believe you. Aren't you in Corona now? I think it's named that because it's as hot as the surface of the sun.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I believe you. Aren't you in Corona now? I think it's named that because it's as hot as the surface of the sun.

worse, riverside. but I work in pomona, so I guess that's better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

worse, riverside. but I work in pomona, so I guess that's better.

Ah..I didn't spend much time over there. I rarely left the coast except to go shoot shotguns in whittier.

Now I miss the coast. Dammit.

Don't miss that traffic though!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

iospace posted:

http://flatev.com/ Just get the tortilla Keurig.

(don't do that)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

This is definitely true. Engine15 was the nearest pub to work when I lived in Jacksonville, we used to go to Trivia there, then I would take my life into my hands and cycle home.

The tomato bisque is one of my favorite meals. I love it when "grilled cheese croutons" means "here's half a grilled cheese in your soup, bonus other half of the grilled cheese on the side"

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

I'd love to live in Baltimore for a weeks just for the character and vibe, loved The Wire.

You watched The Wire and thought 'yep that sure is a city I'd love to live in alright!'? :stonk:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What it lacks in safety and ethics, it makes up for in style and banter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmegin posted:

You watched The Wire and thought 'yep that sure is a city I'd love to live in alright!'? :stonk:

I really kind of hate The Wire for the perception it gave a lot of people of Baltimore; most of the stuff in the show focuses in the far southwest area of Baltimore City, and really much more in Baltimore County. Baltimore City itself is not a hellhole, but thanks to the show a lot of people think you're going to get stabbed or shot the minute you step off the plane at BWI or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One time while visiting the inner harbor my wife and I walked a block too far and a woman offered to sell us her baby and then threw rocks at us after we politely declined and walked away.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Timby posted:

I really kind of hate The Wire for the perception it gave a lot of people of Baltimore; most of the stuff in the show focuses in the far southwest area of Baltimore City, and really much more in Baltimore County. Baltimore City itself is not a hellhole, but thanks to the show a lot of people think you're going to get stabbed or shot the minute you step off the plane at BWI or something.

same but breaking bad and new mexico

it's just a little bit of a hellhole

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I knew a guy who lived in Baltimore. You know what happened to him?

He died.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh poo poo whaddup it's me your boy BrianBoitano back atcha with another episode of kitchen poo poo on kickstarter. Mash that like and subscribe button and buckle in because this time we have Suvie your personal kitchen robot!

Are you ready to trade all of your counterspace and money for a kitchen robot which, while it has smaller tits than Rosie, still looks dead sexy? What if it has a sous vide machine which reuses the SV water to boil pasta? You better fuckin be ready because buying this poo poo isn't optional :shepspends:

Oh hell yeah put that chef-designed sauce in my mouth

Holy poo poo this thing has a broiler? That's probably at least $150 of the price tag right there.

Kickstarter finished, but don't worry even though you missed the early bird $430 and the slightly less early bird $480 and the even more slightly less early bird $510 and the on-time bird $600, you can pre-order the full price Suvie for only $650 for delivery in Feb 2019 March 2019 AKA never. Don't worry, though, you'll make back that $650 in no time since you'll be saving on each meal, since you only have to pay *checks notes* $10-12 per meal per person! Compare that to the $1,000 NYC gold-leaf bagel and it'll pay for itself in one meal! :homebrew:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

The Suvie appliance is not a slow cooker or microwave. Please don't confuse our contraption for something the peasants cook their gruel in.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Mysteriously, the sales pitch did nothing to change my lack of interest in owning an automated sauce zone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pot beans thread is dead so I'll bring it up in here -

I made baked beans today and they were hmmmmmm missing something. Post your baked beans recipes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not the baked beans of your childhood, but I think these are the best sweet-and-savory-bean-side-dish.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/baked-beans-slab-bacon-breadcrumbs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My wife brought home these short, red, spicy sausages from a work celebration. Trouble is we can't seem to figure out what they were, and nobody knows who brought them.

They were very short, stubby sausage, very red, tapered on either end, spicy, and they split when you cooked them. Tasted very good with mustard.

My googling doesn't seem definite. I don't think it's brats, unless it's a type. Spicy red grillers was suggested by someone, but that sounds extremely vague.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

My wife brought home these short, red, spicy sausages from a work celebration. Trouble is we can't seem to figure out what they were, and nobody knows who brought them.

They were very short, stubby sausage, very red, tapered on either end, spicy, and they split when you cooked them. Tasted very good with mustard.

My googling doesn't seem definite. I don't think it's brats, unless it's a type. Spicy red grillers was suggested by someone, but that sounds extremely vague.

Do you know what ethnicity whoever made them was? any other spices to mention? what kind of meat was it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Brawnfire posted:

Without more to go on sounds like generic hot links.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

Without more to go on sounds like generic hot links.

Thinking the same

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That may be it, the Google search makes them look a bit long but maybe it's a brand thing.

The school is mostly black American, and the other food is predominantly southern-ish like collards and chicken legs and stuff.

If it's hot links, is there a best brand? I've seriously never had these before somehow.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Brawnfire posted:

That may be it, the Google search makes them look a bit long but maybe it's a brand thing.

The school is mostly black American, and the other food is predominantly southern-ish like collards and chicken legs and stuff.

If it's hot links, is there a best brand? I've seriously never had these before somehow.
Yeah that definitely sounds like hot links. If you're looking for good hot links you really don't want a brand, you want to get them from butcher/meat shop that does their own charcuterie.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The Midwest is severely GWM, if you can tolerate the lifestyle. Like, I'm running my retirement account through the roof to make up for all the years I spent cooking, and putting together a downpayment for a house at the same time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Going to cook some Mexican for an informal cook off. I thought to make horchata ice cream for dessert.

First google hit looks pretty good!
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/06/horchata-mexican-almond-drink-ice-cream-recipe.html

So now the real question: what is the right type of rice to use for this? I think all I have on hand is Indian style basmati.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Basmati would be a bit nutty, which sounds great for horchata. Jasmine could also work, but might be lost in the cinnamon.

Whatever you do, don't do short grain, but you probably knew that. Or do, but post your results because that's how man's march of progress continues.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've used everything from arborio to jasmine, and basmati is my favorite. The flavor goes really well.

There isn't a huge difference no matter what, though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I wish people would stop calling the meat/fish/tofu/whatever part of a dish "protein", it's mildly gross.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Force de Fappe posted:

I wish people would stop calling the meat/fish/tofu/whatever part of a dish "protein", it's mildly gross.
should we call it "Not Peanut Butter" instead?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Force de Fappe posted:

of all the culinary sins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Force de Fappe posted:

agreed

they should label it as "The Swolemaker"