Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dsriggs posted:

In fairness, those things are so poorly directed you never know who's in the same scene with each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76AW6x3P0I

I love the preview thumbnail to this

Tiny Vin Diesel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Apropos of nothing, I really enjoy this song penned by Hunter S. Thompson (probably, given the lyrics) and sung by Warren Zevon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m31P_yMIw4M

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just when we thought this story was finally over

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1027641927485845505

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I guess Punk isn't showing up at All In?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Benne posted:

Just when we thought this story was finally over

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1027641927485845505

I must be way behind the times, I thought they were friends.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
All I wanted was for Punk to stick it to Vince and win his lawsuit. Now I want Colt to stick it to Punk! Phew what a rollercoaster. Hopefully Punk has another uncashed merch cheque hiding in his couch.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's really lovely on Punk's part and I hope Colt sticks it to him or Punk just covers the fees

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

And thus CM Punk finally loses the last friend that actually stuck with him

quote:

Cabana’s lawsuit contends Punk promised to help him out with the legal bills they amassed fighting the defamation lawsuit. Cabana claims Punk told him in a text that he would be “100% covered.”

Punk has failed to keep that promise, leaving him with unpaid legal bills totaling $513,736, according to the lawsuit.

Punk asked Cabana to pay half of the legal fees, which comes out to $256,868, saying “You are on your own.”

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
It's obviously an angle for a $513,736 on a pole match.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

What a loving baby.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wait Punk said that in April 2016?

That might make all of this even funnier.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cash Miser Punk

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
cm punk is afraid of having friends

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

coconono posted:

Cash Miser Punk

C. Montgomery Punk

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I RETIRED EARLY BY CHOICE

::starts running out of money to support lifestyle::

GET AWAY FROM ME

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I wonder what the context of the initial promise was and if it was Punk saying that the legal fees would be covered by WWE and Amman, not himself. I wouldn't be shocked if it were Colt misrepresenting it, especially since he's asking for an extra million dollars just for fun.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I don't know how anyone can look at that and go "Man Punk rules"

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s the edge lord teenager “but I gave up on you doing the right thing long ago” part that makes it for me.

I wonder when he and AJ will get divorced.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Doing the right thing? Colt didn't say the poo poo - he just gave his good friend a platform that he chose to use to get himself into trouble. A dude with millions in the bank shouldn't be whining to his less successful friend about doing the right thing to the tune of 300k. I'm sure Colt does alright for himself between all the money streams he has coming in but not well enough to have multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars sitting around to just give to punk for a problem he himself created.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So how much did Punk make for getting beaten up by the UFC photographer guy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ, what a lovely situation :smith:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Doing the right thing? Colt didn't say the poo poo - he just gave his good friend a platform that he chose to use to get himself into trouble. A dude with millions in the bank shouldn't be whining to his less successful friend about doing the right thing to the tune of 300k. I'm sure Colt does alright for himself between all the money streams he has coming in but not well enough to have multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars sitting around to just give to punk for a problem he himself created.

IIRC Punk and Colt had an initial falling out a few years back after they were both sued because Colt went backstage at a WWE event to see his friends and Punk got mad about it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DeathChicken posted:

So how much did Punk make for getting beaten up by the UFC photographer guy?

500k plus whatever Dana handed out in cash(probably not much since the fight was dogshit)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if only punk stayed in wwe then it could have been him instead of tyson kidd

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

coconono posted:

500k plus whatever Dana handed out in cash(probably not much since the fight was dogshit)

Was there a downside to his UFC contract?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

everything about punk in the UFC is a downside

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Colt, ask for $900,000 so that Punk can spend some of his fortune on going to loving therapy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

EugeneJ posted:

no downsides in UFC deals. its a you get X per fight + incentives deal. That's why there was a huge amount of fuss when they cut the fighter sponsorship deals for the Reebok deal because it killed a lot of passive income lines for fighters.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MotU posted:

everything about punk in the UFC is a downside

lol

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If Punk's refusing to settle he might be close to broke

He might...need wrestling

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Future NXT North American belt pillow for Hangman Page, CM "creamy mersa" Punk

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

If Punk's refusing to settle he might be close to broke

He might...need wrestling

Colt's on All In and ROH might be carny enough to try it

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Though this isn't the worst thing Punk has done
https://twitter.com/orinanne/status/1027654509240242177

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not trying to be wishy-washy because it's entirely within Punk's character to be a petty dick who would lose a life-long friend on a whim but I get the feeling there's some stuff going on behind the scenes we're not privy to

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I want to see a lot more speculation from the folks who are sure Cabana did something to cause this and it isn't probably the realization by Punk that he can't afford this without going back to wrestling

to clarify what I mean, that would be what's best for the conversation on this topic. I Am not intending to present myself as an arguer

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 13, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cavauro posted:

I want to see a lot more speculation from the folks who are sure Cabana did something to cause this and it isn't probably the realization by Punk that he can't afford this without going back to wrestling

to clarify what I mean, that would be what's best for the conversation on this topic. I Am not intending to present myself as an arguer

my completely wild guess is that Punk was expecting legal fees to be paid by the WWE Doctor as part of winning the suit, and lol nooooooope.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

my completely wild guess is that Punk was expecting legal fees to be paid by the WWE Doctor as part of winning the suit, and lol nooooooope.

I’m not a legal genius of any sort so why was that, anyway?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's assumed by the general public that winning a civil suit automatically means you're also awarded legal fees and court costs. It can vary by state and even then it's not a given.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

It's assumed by the general public that winning a civil suit automatically means you're also awarded legal fees and court costs. It can vary by state and even then it's not a given.

yep. I'm sure it was just an oversight, but I'd imagine it's a misunderstanding. "Don't worry, I've got you" has one meaning when you think WWE will be paying your total of half a mil in legal fees, and takes on a completely different meaning when you're back on the hook for them.

I'm guessing this gets settled out of court, but it also sounds like Colt has a very take-no-bullshit attorney who probably suggested this as the best route to get to a settlement as well.

IANAL but this tracks. Actual lawyers feel free to chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

here's all the public materials Bix got a hold of regarding the Punk/Cabana

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1028778320564027392

basically there's not a whole lot to go by but you get the distinct impression that Punk clearly interested in covering his own rear end and not so much Cabana's.

• Locked thread