Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Dravs posted:

TWW and Quills stuff

Ya I was talking about the cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Vauban was better when vortex also locked down teammates. Reading these patchnotes made me audibly "what the gently caress DE?" since he's so underwhelming compared to a ton of frames right now already.

Extra damage is okay, at least it's better than a poo poo amount of situational armor, but the bastille change was a massive nerf, and whocares about a minor tesla buff because nobody uses teslas. This bullshit sure as hell won't sell his legendary skin, I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

As someone who's owned Vauban since day 1 and still have him as my most-played frame, this sucks.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

sushibandit posted:

Vauban was better when vortex also locked down teammates. Reading these patchnotes made me audibly "what the gently caress DE?" since he's so underwhelming compared to a ton of frames right now already.

Extra damage is okay, at least it's better than a poo poo amount of situational armor, but the bastille change was a massive nerf, and whocares about a minor tesla buff because nobody uses teslas. This bullshit sure as hell won't sell his legendary skin, I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

As someone who's owned Vauban since day 1 and still have him as my most-played frame, this sucks.

It's not even a Tesla buff, it's a nerf. The cast rate is severely diminished and the charge takes so much longer than a regular cast that you get more effect just spamming them.

Nothing about their changes helps Vauban in any way.

edit: Okay the passive +25% damage vs helpless enemies is a buff but the Tesla changes are awful.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 10, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, wow, and I thought the pre-Limbo P changes were lazy but at least Limbo got slightly better from that, this Vauban change is just sad.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
My latest Riven challenge is to find 6 caches without raising any alarms - which missions have caches to find? I've got all the loot finder mods so shouldn't be too tricky, but it's been so long since I've done anything related to a cache that I've got no idea where to look.

In other news, my login reward yesterday was a resource booster, so I jumped straight into a few endless kuva farms and rerolled my Cassowar Riven into +100ish range and +100ish toxic. My new favorite build for it is a Gas + Cold Hybrid with Condition Overload + Healing Return and Reach (god help me if I ever get Prime Reach, c'moooon Baro). I decided not to combine Cold into Magnetic because as far as CO is concerned, one status effect is very much like another, and I prefer to spend that slot on Reach so I can murder everything within 20m at the same time, and get healed for each one. The status for the whole thing is only in the mid-70s, but everything procs often enough that CO is still doing it's job, and with Oberon and Hallowed Ground, I'm an unkillable god.

I also finally Gilded my 3/2/3 amp and ffffuuuuuuuck me - I was initially pretty unimpressed with the damage when I first assembled it, it didn't seem like much of a step up from my 2/2/2. I didn't really just how much more kick it gets once you Gild it - my spaceteen out-damages just about everything without a Riven now, it's insane and wonderful. Plus, every since I put points into extending void-dash I just straight up use operator mode for a ton of missions now.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

McKilligan posted:

My latest Riven challenge is to find 6 caches without raising any alarms - which missions have caches to find? I've got all the loot finder mods so shouldn't be too tricky, but it's been so long since I've done anything related to a cache that I've got no idea where to look.

Every Sabotage/Hive mission, and Kuva/Lua Exterminates have caches.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Hive Sabotage and Lua Crossfire also have no alarm to sound.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Plains?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the caches on the plains definitely count for rivens

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Earth caches, because earth has no alarms.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Warframe: Earth has no alarms but they can turn off life support

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There’s also snow on Venus so Earth being so hosed up that it needs life support for people makes sense!

But wait, why does your Warframe need life support? It’s for the unnamed guy doing the hacking I guess?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you let the timer run out (yes, it is possible to!) you'll start taking damage. Also, the parts of the Eris tileset that have no atmosphere will also do that to you.

Warframes are weird.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can only assume that the archwings contain some kind of shielding and life support which is how you can survive in space / underwater.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

There’s also snow on Venus so Earth being so hosed up that it needs life support for people makes sense!

But wait, why does your Warframe need life support? It’s for the unnamed guy doing the hacking I guess?

How many quests have you done? Because there is an answer.

Warframes are humans mutated to order by the Infestation. Presumably, there’s a set of lungs in there that needs air - possibly several.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Warframes are humans mutated to order by the Infestation. Presumably, there’s a set of lungs in there that needs air - possibly several.

Okay but what if you're in a survival mission fighting infested :warframethunk:

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Lotus does say the infested are releasing poisonous spores into the air.

Also, Survival mode on planet surfaces are no longer a thing except during events. They replaced them with Excavation.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Rather, the devs have said on multiple occasions that rather than just air the life support is meant to fend off things like the infestation being too thick in the air and the corpus and grineer trying to poison the atmosphere against us. This has never been translated to an update to any of the in game language.

Similarly I think they've said that archwings do have built in life support. It sounds like hand waving every time and I appreciate them more for it.

Darth Walrus posted:

That's not wrong but I'd bet the frames and the however many lungs within could survive a good while in hard vacuum.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay but what if you're in a survival mission fighting infested :warframethunk:

Warframes are a lot more humanoid than ‘wild’ Infested. I’d guess they get a mild dose that mutates them in specific ways, so they still have something approximating human biology.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can only assume that the archwings contain some kind of shielding and life support which is how you can survive in space / underwater.

Also that water isn’t simply water but a supercritical fluid of water and ammonia. So like 100 atm minimum of pressure and maybe 400C minimum

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Warframes are a lot more humanoid than ‘wild’ Infested. I’d guess they get a mild dose that mutates them in specific ways, so they still have something approximating human biology.

It's less to do with the dose, I think, and more to do with the 'tame' Helminth strain (the one that.. talks to the Nidus frame) being used, which, presumably, allowed for mutation to occur in controlled ways.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Yet flying around in space is no problem.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Arglebargle III posted:

Yet flying around in space is no problem.

Archwings have built in life support.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yet flying around in soup is no problem.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've been relevelling Gara with her signature weapons Astilla, Fusilai and Volnus. Astilla and Volnus are great, but I really don't see the point of Fusilai. Astilla just does everything - it kind of feels like they just decided gently caress it, lets make a shotgun with no spread, the range of a rifle and pellets that explode into shards of glass on ompact, and then make it rapid fire full-auto because it's already ridiculous.

So because Astilla is so much fun, I'm trying to find a secondary that fits with the rest of her kit. At the moment I have prisma angstrom because Astilla is so ridiculously multipurpose. I guess I would also consider a secondary precision sniper, but I don't really think there are any.

Her powers are great too. Obviously her 4 is fantastic for defence, but her 3 is great for temporarily holding chokepoints, her 1 is great when fully charged, and her 2 I rarely use but seems like it'd be useful if you had a dipshit team who couldn't manage to stay alive.

A+++ frame, would war again.

The Gara style of defense seems a upgrade from all other type of defenses.

- you can control the size by controlling the time of casting
- everything synergize with everything in ways that just make sense
- the wall is fire and forget, but even when it fails is on a controlled way, not all of it, but the section that suffered more abuse
- the wall last forever, cast and forget

It trivialize many game modes, like survival, excavation and that capture the flags mode with ABCD flags.

The one thing don't have is movement skills. Is kind of a slow frame, not very agile. But thats only relativelly to other frames. Is still a ninja from the game warframe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can only cast one wall though

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Hm, random question: can you forma an exilus slot?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Okay im back with some more questions.

1. How much of PoE should i be trying to do before the second dream or filling out the star chart?

2. Any arcwing weapons i should get?

3. What do i do after the star chart is filled out anyway? (Not close to this, just curious)

4. What is the purpose of derelict missions and when should i start running them?

5. I got this super special cipher in the mail but i dont have the components to build it. Whats its deal?

6. After i finish leveling steel meridian are there any other factions worth checking out.

7. What mods should i absolutely pick up from steel meridian before I move on.

Other than that im just wating for my clan app to go through so i can pick up some stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Magus42 posted:

Hm, random question: can you forma an exilus slot?

Yes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can forma anything. You can forma a knife. You can forma a gun. You can forma a laser.

You can even forma a dog.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

AnEdgelord posted:

1. How much of PoE should i be trying to do before the second dream or filling out the star chart?

You can dip your toes in if you want, but outside of giving some good mods like Augur Secrets plains stuff mostly feeds in to doing more plains stuff.

AnEdgelord posted:

3. What do i do after the star chart is filled out anyway? (Not close to this, just curious)

Sorties are the standard end-game activity and unlocked once you do a quest you get after the Sedna junction. You can also do Onslaught, Eidolon hunting, and just farm a shitload of relics.

AnEdgelord posted:

4. What is the purpose of derelict missions and when should i start running them?

You get a squad of 4, each of which has a different Dragon Key (which you get the blueprints for from the dojo), and then you go there to get certain valuable mods that increase one stat and reduce another stat.

AnEdgelord posted:

5. I got this super special cipher in the mail but i dont have the components to build it. Whats its deal?

Razorbacks suck poo poo but it's not hard to do and get the almost-free Catalyst/credits. You farm the components on any archwing mission on.. Saturn or something, and then build the keys, and get someone who has invested in their archwing to blow the razorback up for you.

AnEdgelord posted:

6. After i finish leveling steel meridian are there any other factions worth checking out.

Pick one of the neutral or allied ones and keep on trucking.

AnEdgelord posted:

7. What mods should i absolutely pick up from steel meridian before I move on.

Shattering Justice for the hek, augments depend on what warframes you like and whether you play in a group.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Count Uvula posted:

Razorbacks suck poo poo but it's not hard to do and get the almost-free Catalyst/credits. You farm the components on any archwing mission on.. Saturn or something, and then build the keys, and get someone who has invested in their archwing to blow the razorback up for you.

Razorbacks have a space farm and a ground boss fight, in which you hack bursas to knock down the boss's shields in order to damage it.

Fomorians have a ground farm and a space boss fight, in which the players rush into the ship, get into position, and shoot the weak spots on the core after they deploy their disruptors.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

wiegieman posted:

Razorbacks have a space farm and a ground boss fight, in which you hack bursas to knock down the boss's shields in order to damage it.

Fomorians have a ground farm and a space boss fight, in which the players rush into the ship, get into position, and shoot the weak spots on the core after they deploy their disruptors.

I was thinking of Fomorians but also it sounds like I was wrong even then!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Proceed onwards to The War Within. I'm not sure which is better, but they're both a trip.

:catstare:

Can confirm, was a hell of a trip.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
[quote="AnEdgelord" post="486913587"
Okay im back with some more questions.

[/quote]

3. It's not very newbie friendly (as I found out) but it's fun to dick about mining and fishing for a change of pace. Rhino and a Hek make it a bit easier.

Also, zaws. I think I'm developing a saw problem.

4. The beauty of Warframe is that it doesn't really gate the beginner from high level content. I foolishly soloed a derelict extermination at MR3 - from memory, even the scrubbiest of enemies required 2 full mags from a Boltor.

Also, if you haven't got that far in the star chart, it can be a good source of nano spores.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I believe they mentioned that they'll keep tweaking vauban. It's just kinda tone deaf that they would start with nerfs instead of buffs.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

They didn't particularly pitch it as a nerf. And they did say they were starting with no good ideas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was probably supposed to be a buff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FunkyFjord posted:

they were starting with no good ideas.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've got a bunch of questionable ideas for how to fix tesla. for starters, why not do the elemental energy color thing like chroma and excal? no matter what they end up doing with the delivery of the mini-turrets, having them apply status effects would help with the scaling problem.