Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So after learning that some 9 pin cables have wacky pinouts with pins sometimes mixing with other pins and crossing over and sometimes not even going through to the other side and poo poo and also buying these cables for my diy project and learning that they're effectively useless to me...

Is there any 9 pin cable out there that just has pin 1 goes to pin 1 on the other side for all 9 pins? Hell I'd even take a pinout where all 9 pins just go to the other side without any funny business beyond a mixed up pinout because I can work with that. If anyone knows what I'm looking for please help

I for one cannot believe there aren't many options for outdated tech cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you can't find answers here, check out people making Apple 2, C64 and ZX stuff. They're all about making custom stuff that seems like 1st party options.

The first way I can think of doing it is with a serial extension cable and a gender changer, that should get you all 9 pins straight through, about 25 feet of cable and whatever plug you need on the end for about 20 dollars.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 10, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Which gender?

This work, the listing indicates straight through pins

https://www.cablestogo.com/product/52087/6ft-db9-m-m-serial-rs232-cable-black

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Maneki Neko posted:

Which gender?

This work, the listing indicates straight through pins

https://www.cablestogo.com/product/52087/6ft-db9-m-m-serial-rs232-cable-black

That might work. I'm needing a F/M cable

I didn't think to look for extension cables so thanks for that

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 10, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat near everything that has ever had a 9-pin d-sub connector would've been better served by screw terminals.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Something like one of these should be fine. Straight through is what you're looking for.

Depending on your application, something like this or this give you some flexibility.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I appreciate the responses. One side I soldered and the other side I used screw terminals and this cord is bridging that gap. I just received an extension cable that I'm going to try today which hopefully solves my problem.

e: extension cable worked like i needed it to, thanks

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 14, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

For future readers, a lot of the cheap ones that came with equipment didn’t have all the pins populated.

Some of the later equipment I’ve looked at, including Cisco’s, has serial with TX/RX/Ground and that’s it. In Euroblock even.

On Amazon you can buy DB9 connectors that do have screw terminals so you can wing up that cable you need for a day without fooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The only serial cables with crossed sends and receives are called null modem cables (i hope im remembering right).

• Locked thread